daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > The Economy, Industry and Development Issues

The Economy, Industry and Development Issues Current news and events with regards to the economy, industry and urban development issues

Old August 13th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #1
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2467

Media and Broadcasting Industry

One of the biggest industries in The Philippines. This thread is dedicated to the media and broadcasting industry including print and television.

Link to past thread,

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; August 13th, 2017 at 04:09 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:04 AM   #2
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2467

Looks like the previous turned to a bunch of whining. That has to stop and I'll take action if this continues!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Gee Ens
Hypersensitive to Katkats

Likes (Received): 3050

Kick-off post: A Fake News courtesy of Rappler:

And MSM has the gall to question bloggers' palace accreditation because they are of a lower specie of media practitioners.

Quote:
Fake news by Pia Ranada Robles saying that Duterte intends to appoint Nikki Prieto-Teodoro as DSWD sec. Rappler already deleted it, but not fast enough to prevent google cache from saving a copy.
Sass Rogando Sasot

Create the hype, but don't ever believe it. - Simon Cowell
Gee Ens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #4
[kq90]

Likes (Received): 41

This is pretty old news, but I doubt it was tackled already. I am posting this here in the hopes of saving this thread going off the rails again.

Hardware boom comes with PH shift to digital TV
http://www.rappler.com/business/1614...gital-tv-shift

With the adoption of ISDB-T, what I hope would gain traction here are those Japanese mobile phones with ISDB receivers. Anyway, this is really secondary to actual coverage first... Since even in Metro Manila the coverage is still spotty.

*Edited post to be a bit kinder to the previous poster

Last edited by [kq90]; August 17th, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
[kq90] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:31 AM   #5
equestrian2016

Likes (Received): 79

Sus, if only people know the people behind the media/newspaper industry and what they're up to behind the screen, you won't even care about protecting them.

The media industry doesn't make much money. It does, but not so much. You want to know why people are scrambling to get a share of the market? Because it is used to support the other more lucrative businesses by offering its publicity/slandering services to certain politicians and candidates. If your rooster wins, expect very preferential treatment for your other businesses.
equestrian2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 05:53 PM   #6
[kq90]

Hmm. I find it interesting that you think people who want actual conversations about the media industry as a whole are "defending" media. Personally, I don't think the news media people in the previous thread like to whine about is as clean as they proclaim to be, but I'm just not in the business of whining about them all year long, let alone comparing them to social media personalities (featured in the previous thread) who only cover the editorial aspects of news media. And, frankly speaking, if we're just going to talk about the integrity of news sources, the only difference between the "media" that's been criticized all year and the social media personalities praised in the old thread is that the former is expected to be as neutral as possible (in principle, although as we all know, they miserably fail doing so), while the latter get away with being unapologetically biased towards their own political leanings. They all have leashes around their necks. We shouldn't be naive.

The fact is that no one is here to defend media. There are just a lot of other aspects about it worth discussing that the likes of the poster before me deprived from being discussed in the previous thread. The media broadcasting industry is a much bigger industry than just "news media." In fact, "news media" is arguably one of the smallest chunks of the industry's revenues. So the point is, I think we shouldn't be drowning this thread with the same message as if it's all that mattered. Grow up for Christ's sake. The previous thread spent a year from the election doing just that. We should spare us all our precious time.

Anyway, just so you know better, I think you ought to know that broadcast media still is a lucrative business. But you know what, hearsay is probably not as good as actual figures: http://www.bworldonline.com/content....2017&id=142530 . Then again, nowadays people can believe anything they want even when the facts are right in front of them.

Last edited by [kq90]; August 22nd, 2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 06:05 PM   #7
[kq90]

My apologies @equestrian2016 for not noticing this is your first time to engage in this thread. I've misread you as one of the other people who drowned the previous thread with media bashing posts, leading me to type lots of colorful words in my initial post. That said, please understand where my view is coming from as well. I just don't think this thread will go anywhere if we all just used it to whine about media.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:48 AM   #8
-SNPKLSDMBLDR-
Welcome to the Planet

Likes (Received): 2119

so what will happen to this thread? a boring technical forum for ECE grads talking about developments on the local industry? those who "whine" about the Media and Broadcasting Industry will just post it on the scandals thread or keep it to themselves?
DFB-GER '14 + FCB #31/10 + Scuderia Ferrari + #UniteTheLeague WW/JL '17

-SNPKLSDMBLDR- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:49 PM   #9
[kq90]

If you want to talk about the ECE aspects of it, be my guest. I'm not an ECE grad myself but I'm sure I'd rather read those technical topics than read a bunch of teenagers whine about media primarily just because their political leanings don't align. Anyway, don't we have rules not to bombard these threads with too much politics? I mean, it's one thing to bring those up and it's another to just totally swamp the thread with faux intellectual criricism so that actual media industry related topics are alienated.
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #10
Isopropyl
Alcohol

Likes (Received): 1516

Please po. pa-outline na lang ng topics na pwede i-discuss dito. Thanks.
Old August 26th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #11
[kq90]

If you haven't noticed, I'm not a mod myself so there isn't really much I can do if you decide to make the thread a rant and hate thread again pretty much like the previous. Just keep in mind that it would be a disservice to people who actually really did go to this thread because they cared about the industry.

Anyway, although your rhetorical question was uninspired and devoid of rational thinking, I have faith you can carry on with actual discussions about the industry that your future self can look back to without feeling ashamed.
Old August 29th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #12
Gee Ens

One should watch this interview of Maria Ressa in the Australian ABC News saying the cause of Duterte's unprecedented power despite of the drug war is because of his "WEAPONIZED SOCIAL MEDIA." She is touring Australia now to talk about Fake News and state-sponsored promotion of hatred against them (critics) even mentioning particularly Mocha Uson. Bitter.

Australian ABC News

Old August 29th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #13
absinthe_888

Likes (Received): 4876

Nako po, media bashing yan.
Granted that, perhaps, there is lots about the way Duterte does things (and conducts himself) to be critical about, the more important missing ingredient in the Opposition’s proposition to the Filipino people is an alternative way forward. You need to come up with a product that is better than your competitor’s and different from your old product — the product that caused you to lose a valued customer to begin with.

- benign0, GRP
absinthe_888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #14
[kq90]

Actually, weaponized social media is a worthwhile topic. It's very much real and is used by all political fronts, much like the stupidity that pervades through comments that attempt to be witty but miserably fail at doing so.

To be frank, regarding news media, lots of people are simply replacing them with unapologetically biased social media icons. Duterte's social media strategy is particularly interesting because, unlike the others, his has successfully captured a truly diverse social strata - he has an icon for almost every important demographic. What's most interesting though is how lots of people from different sides of the political spectrum have chosen to discard the relatively objective (read: highly biased but with a futile attempt to look objective) traditional media in exchange for social media stars who do away with objectivity. Notably, these stars almost pride themselves in being highly editorialized sources of information (read: highly biased towards one or a couple of view points). It's almost comedic because there's a good chunk of the latter that likes to cry that the former is "Fake News" even though they completely distance themselves from any journalistic ethics because they proudly admit that they are "Not News."

Last edited by [kq90]; August 30th, 2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #15
[kq90]

Now, completely on topic, I think PTV's recent modernization efforts seem to be bearing some fruit. After seeing some videos online, I am impressed in how they seem to have raised the production value of their news cast. I hope they further improve their actual content as well.

Hopefully, also, they can act more independently and non-partisan moving forward. Many state news agencies, for obvious reasons, tend to be heavily biased towards their respective administrations.
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:48 AM   #16
absinthe_888

Likes (Received): 4876

IIRC, there were plans to make PTV4 ala BBC [model].
Granted that, perhaps, there is lots about the way Duterte does things (and conducts himself) to be critical about, the more important missing ingredient in the Opposition’s proposition to the Filipino people is an alternative way forward. You need to come up with a product that is better than your competitor’s and different from your old product — the product that caused you to lose a valued customer to begin with.

- benign0, GRP
absinthe_888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #17
[kq90]

Yep. I think that was discussed here previously. It would be nice if they are able to do that, but it will definitely be a long road ahead. Let's not forget that BBC also airs lots of general entertainment shows and TV series that eventually make it to other countries. I wonder though whether BBC produces their own serial TV series or if they just buy the rights to air as well.
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:18 AM   #18
ipur
Proud Gutgut

Likes (Received): 151

PRRD: Dapat pauunahin ang Media sa mga operations...

ipur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:32 PM   #19
Gee Ens

sabay from the audience.

Old August 31st, 2017, 06:23 PM   #20
[kq90]

Here we go with the semi-intellectual bashing again. I don't even get how a distasteful joke about the media translates to news.

I sympathize for the low intellectual capacity. I guess it's true that not everyone is gifted with enough of it... But hey, we can always try to improve, right?