daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #221
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 58

I really should go on a journey one of these days. Poly versus journey. Lol.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #222
mrtfreak

Pictorial update

0_0 Well, would you know it? I happened to have a free day today with an excuse to go out too. Scary... Anyway, I took photos of the construction progress on the BLE. Enjoy.

Track demolished at Boon Lay station.

1st completed guideway section.

2 completed guideway sections together.

2nd completed guideway section with further support pillar under construction.

Completed guideway pillar with gantry used to launch precast beams below.

Completed guideway support pillar being buffed (why???).

Guideway support pillar under construction 1.

Guideway support pillar under construction 2.

Twin guideway support pillars under construction.

Precast guideway section ready for moving with another completed one behind.

Guideway beam section precasting.

Precast guideway section for lifting close up.

Pioneer station worksite with demolished Boon Lay run over section in the background.

My appologies over the picture quality. I did not bring a tripod with me. I'm assuming that for this section they are not using the launch gantry since they can do it with mobile cranes.

Ignoramus, was there any other construction activity further down the road from Jurong West Stadium (towards Joo Koon)? I'll see if I am free next Wednesday again.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old July 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #223
^tamago^

Likes (Received): 0

thanks for the BLE pictures!
^tamago^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #224
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 1

I did not travel that far down towards Joo Koon so I have no idea...try your luck??? haha...

Anyways great photos. Who cares about the quality (which aint that bad). At least the photos now finally give us some idea about the construction progress. Damn fast right. Not only are a lot of pillars and guideway up, those that are not up are lying on the ground waiting to be lifted up. If they can't open this by end 2008 or Jan 2009 I don't know what to say.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #225
blizzardtweaker
****** User

hmm.... heres a theory, maybe, just MAYBE LTA decided to announce a date later then the acutual estimated date of completion, coz notice NEL n CCL had experienced significant time delays (in terms of years). so in this case the later date thing might have been just a precaution to prevent dissapointment, eg if something happens (choi! choi!) its delayed, n also to get everyone to belive LTAs dates agn with an 'earlier than anonounced completion' if everything goes soomthly....
ok... so maybe that was complex n so r my weird theories.... :P
blizzardtweaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #226
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
I did not travel that far down towards Joo Koon so I have no idea...try your luck??? haha...

Anyways great photos. Who cares about the quality (which aint that bad). At least the photos now finally give us some idea about the construction progress. Damn fast right. Not only are a lot of pillars and guideway up, those that are not up are lying on the ground waiting to be lifted up. If they can't open this by end 2008 or Jan 2009 I don't know what to say.
Well, not too bad. Down the Boon Lay side it looks slow. But further up seems like things have gotten a head start (no roads, utilities to divert). I just wonder why they didn't finish the pillars together so they could lay on more guideway beams. Lol. I think the two next to the completed section will bridge the gap between them.

On another note, is it just me or does this section look like the one at Simei with the houses on one side? Haha.

Actually, the reason I asked was cause I didn't see anything further beyond the last pillar they are constructing in this section. I suppose they would've started work on the Joo Koon station, just foundations though (like Pioneer station).

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old July 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #227
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardtweaker
hmm.... heres a theory, maybe, just MAYBE LTA decided to announce a date later then the acutual estimated date of completion, coz notice NEL n CCL had experienced significant time delays (in terms of years). so in this case the later date thing might have been just a precaution to prevent dissapointment, eg if something happens (choi! choi!) its delayed, n also to get everyone to belive LTAs dates agn with an 'earlier than anonounced completion' if everything goes soomthly....
ok... so maybe that was complex n so r my weird theories.... :P
Hmmm, these dates are always tenative anyway. There's always a "+" or "-", give or take. I'm assuming that the electrical part might take some time, then they'd need signaling and trial runs before they can open the extension. Pioneer station is only at foundational stage. It'll be sometime before we actually see any structure there (end 2006 maybe?). Don't forget that they need to equip the station with all the different components (plasma info system, LED system, communications system, etc). That could take awhile. Just expect it to be 2009 I guess, haha.

Actually, yer theory is not that all complex, lol. You mean to avoid dissapointment or lack of trust in LTA, they gave a later expected completion date. If it opens early, the public's faith will be restored and people will be happy.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old July 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #228
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^tamago^
thanks for the BLE pictures!
You're welcome. It was fun to take them.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old July 5th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #229
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 27

Wonderful pics!!! Thanks!!!

I notice the viaduct sections are supplied as steel frames and concrete was cast on-site?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #230
ignoramus

July 5, 2006
Bikes in trains could lead to problems

I think there may be some problems if SMRT were to implement the suggestions of Jenson Chen Zhirong, ''Provide more MRT trains and let bikes onboard'' (ST, June 30).

Foldable bikes and prams take up little space but to push an ordinary bike through the turnstile, up the escalator and into a train may be a hassle and slow down human traffic. Increasing the number of trains is also not feasible as the influx of bikes during the school holidays is a seasonable trend and to cater just to the bikers may not be economically worthwhile for the SMRT.

Cyclists who take their bikes to Pulau Ubin are charged $2 by the bumboat operators. Would people be prepared to pay, say, $2 to transport their bikes to their destination? Space on board MRT trains is not free and bikers should be prepared to pay for the extra space they occupy if they want to take their bikes along.

The more immediate problem which the SMRT should tackle is eating and drinking on the trains. Also school kids who sit near the exits are a nuisance as they obstruct commuters getting in and out of the trains. SMRT should send inspectors to nab those who flout the no-eating rule and litter in the trains. Heng Cho Choon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2006 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement & Condition of Access
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #231
ignoramus

Quote:
July 5, 2006

I think there may be some problems if SMRT were to implement the suggestions of Jenson Chen Zhirong, ''Provide more MRT trains and let bikes onboard'' (ST, June 30).

Foldable bikes and prams take up little space but to push an ordinary bike through the turnstile, up the escalator and into a train may be a hassle and slow down human traffic. Increasing the number of trains is also not feasible as the influx of bikes during the school holidays is a seasonable trend and to cater just to the bikers may not be economically worthwhile for the SMRT.

Cyclists who take their bikes to Pulau Ubin are charged $2 by the bumboat operators. Would people be prepared to pay, say, $2 to transport their bikes to their destination? Space on board MRT trains is not free and bikers should be prepared to pay for the extra space they occupy if they want to take their bikes along.

The more immediate problem which the SMRT should tackle is eating and drinking on the trains. Also school kids who sit near the exits are a nuisance as they obstruct commuters getting in and out of the trains. SMRT should send inspectors to nab those who flout the no-eating rule and litter in the trains. Heng Cho Choon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2006 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement & Condition of Access
He should work for LTA. As we know LTA loves coming up with excuses for everything and make it sound like its factually substantiated.
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #232
mrtfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
Wonderful pics!!! Thanks!!!

I notice the viaduct sections are supplied as steel frames and concrete was cast on-site?
I have no idea really. Now I come to think of it, I should have taken a wide shot of the area. The pictures don't show that much of the precasting yard. I'll try see what I can do eh? I think they have their metal/wooden forms in which they place the re-bar and then add concrete to it.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old July 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #233
mrtfreak

Quote:
July 5, 2006

From that letter, I feel like laughing hard at him. Vancouver uses the Advanced Rapid Transit technology and has rather small trains (system is expandable though). But they DO allow bikers to take their bikes on the trains. Granted, they do use a honour system where no faregates are present in the stations.

However, they have created a set of rules.
1) Only during off peak hours (I think)
2) Only 2 bikes per train
3) Only allowed in tail car for that journey (not too sure)
4) Bikes must be stood upright

Seriously, some people follow the rules too much. Lol. Hmmm, I probably made this go off topic with the Vancouver SkyTrain. :p

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old July 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #234
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak
From that letter, I feel like laughing hard at him. Vancouver uses the Advanced Rapid Transit technology and has rather small trains (system is expandable though). But they DO allow bikers to take their bikes on the trains. Granted, they do use a honour system where no faregates are present in the stations.

However, they have created a set of rules.
1) Only during off peak hours (I think)
2) Only 2 bikes per train
3) Only allowed in tail car for that journey (not too sure)
4) Bikes must be stood upright

Seriously, some people follow the rules too much. Lol. Hmmm, I probably made this go off topic with the Vancouver SkyTrain. :p
Erm we have wide fare gates and the lifts so no problem with accessibility.

But
1. End cars only.
2. Off peak hours only.
3. Bike upright with side stands out.
4. Maybe a small charge of like S$0.50 per journey regardless of distance since it takes up additional space.
5. 2 per train car. But needs campaigns to educated us ''F'' singaporeans with bikes on giving way to passengers if they want to board the train.

One day I could find myself on the train to Bedok then cycle to ECP. No need to rent bike. Cool. All for a additional return charge of S$1. Beats renting the bike.

But I expect SMRT or SBS Transit to come up with a STANDARD REPLY TO THIS.

''We refer to blablabla on blablabla. EXCUSE EXCUSE EXCUSE. We thank you for your suggestion and we will look into that suggestion in the future when the right itme comes.''

Ms BLABLABLA
SMRT Customer Relations
balblabla@smrt.com.sg

Last edited by ignoramus; July 5th, 2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #235
e-strider

Quote:
July 5, 2006

Itz not the problem of moving the Bikes around inside the stations.. With Bigger Faregates and the installation of Lifts in MRT. I find no problem with it. But rather.. It is a question of whether they want to implement it.
e-strider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #236
^tamago^

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-strider
Itz not the problem of moving the Bikes around inside the stations.. With Bigger Faregates and the installation of Lifts in MRT. I find no problem with it. But rather.. It is a question of whether they want to implement it.
reminds of this communique tat was issued quite long ago, which alrd gave me the idea tat, no, u cannot bring ur bikes in.

http://www.cycling.org.sg/Communique..._(20.8.04).pdf

"SACAís Inquiry:

We have written to SMRT to inquire as to whether bicycles can be brought into the MRT
system. This is in response to queries from cyclists in Singapore on whether bicycles can be
allowed into the MRT system.

SMRTís Position and Reasoning:

SMRT responded and explained that:-

Safety is a top priority in our system which was designed to efficiently transport the masses from one destination to another. As such, we have to ensure that items allowed into the system should not be a hazard or cause any inconvenience to commuters.

This is in line with Regulation 7 of the Rapid Transit Systems Act which states that "No person shall bring into or upon the railway premises any luggage, article or thing which cannot be carried or otherwise accommodated on the railway without risk of damage to railway property, or cause a nuisance or inconvenience to other persons using the railway premises."

The Rapid Transit Systems Act is available at our website www.smrtcorp.com.

Currently, only foldable bicycles without protruding parts are allowed into the MRT system. This is to ensure that other commuters are not inconvenienced/injured by the bicycles in the station premises, including the escalators and in lifts, or in the trains.

Notwithstanding the above-mentioned, we will continue to monitor the situation and review it when it is appropriate. '
^tamago^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #237
blizzardtweaker
****** User

Quote:
reminds of this communique tat was issued quite long ago, which alrd gave me the idea tat, no, u cannot bring ur bikes in.

"SACAís Inquiry:

We have written to SMRT to inquire as to whether bicycles can be brought into the MRT
system. This is in response to queries from cyclists in Singapore on whether bicycles can be

Safety is a top priority in our system which was designed to efficiently transport the masses from one destination to another. As such, we have to ensure that items allowed into the system should not be a hazard or cause any inconvenience to commuters.

This is in line with Regulation 7 of the Rapid Transit Systems Act which states that "No person shall bring into or upon the railway premises any luggage, article or thing which cannot be carried or otherwise accommodated on the railway without risk of damage to railway property, or cause a nuisance or inconvenience to other persons using the railway premises."

Currently, only foldable bicycles without protruding parts are allowed into the MRT system. This is to ensure that other commuters are not inconvenienced/injured by the bicycles in the station premises, including the escalators and in lifts, or in the trains.

Notwithstanding the above-mentioned, we will continue to monitor the situation and review it when it is appropriate. '
dang.... its these issues that discourage ppl for exercising....
i wanna spend a day at pasir ris/ east coast (where there r reasonably long cycle trails) cycling. but heres to cost: $6-8/hr times say bout 2-3 hrs, that anywhere frm $12-24 juz for rental. my own bike on an almost empty off-peak train, would certainly save me alot of money...

i mean just on the first n last car, they should make special luggage hold areas (lyk those all over Hkg airport express), n also maybe a bike park area beside it...
blizzardtweaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #238
mrtfreak

Quote:

"SACAís Inquiry:

How convenient, lol. Perhaps its about time that they reviewed this? And I agree with blizzard, create a certain area at the two ends of the train for two bikes (maybe remove the two seats at the end of the train). The bike can be placed vertically up, which results in less space wasted. And yes, strider, faregates are not an issue. I guess that's the difference between Singapore's society and the America's society eh? One allows flexibility and another follows the book so closely.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #239
ignoramus

Disciplinary action needed on some MRT commuters

The letter, ''Bikes in trains could lead to problems'' (ST Online Forum, July 5), by Heng Cho Choon reminds me of my travels in China by train in the early 90s.
I had problems going to the train toilet because I had to navigate through the aisle by climbing or jumping over baskets of chickens or ducks. The unpleasant smell of travelling with poultry in a soft-seat coach made for an unforgettable experience.

The phenomenon has disappeared today. Why?

Strict enforcements and sustained efforts to stem the bad practice have made it possible for commuters to enjoy their rides.

Our MRT coaches are not designed to carry bicycles. Unlike the special coaches at Hong Kong airport which can accommodate travellers' luggage, our coaches should not be abused to accept bicycles. It is more practical for cyclists to cycle from point to point. The management should not give in to such a frivolous request.

As for dealing with school kids or young adults sitting on the floor near the exit, there is no better way than having enforcement officers on the train and at the station to stop such inconsiderate behaviour.

As for those who flout the no-eating and no-littering rules, enforcement officers should book them and hand them over to the law-enforcement department.

By Paul Chan Poh Hoi

Last edited by ignoramus; July 16th, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #240
mrtfreak

BLE pictorial update 2

Ignoramus, I don't see the connection between bikes in trains and chickens and ducks on trains in that last post. Lol.

Anyway, Tamago has a nice set of pictures in this thread on the BLE and Boon Lay Bus Interchange demolition: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=171970&page=3
Pictures of the Joo Koon side of construction too. Thanks Tamago.

Anyway, today I was back in Boon Lay. So here's pictorial update 2, 1.5 weeks later.

Pioneer Station Construction
According to signs posted on the project site office (I think that's what it is), Pioneer station's expected completion date is 31 January 2009.

Pillar foundations being put in at Pioneer station worksite.

Close up of the rebar for the pillars.

Close up 2.

Pioneer station worksite with Boon Lay runover in background.

More rebar for pillar.

Again.

Pre-casting yard & adjacent worksite
More viaduct beams have been pre-casted, none lifted since 1.5 weeks ago. Launch girder beams are in place. They may be launching sometime soon, heading eastwards.

Completed pillar with Pioneer station worksite in the background.

Completed pillar in detail.

Launch girder beams.

Launch girder beams close up.

Pre-casting yard 1.

Pre-casting yard 2.

Adjacent worksite.

Viaduct beams.

End of worksite towards Upper Jurong Road.

More pillars being constructed.

Pillar and pillar stub.

Completed beams in front of beams being precasted.

More completed beams.

Finished pre-casting?

Being formed.

Empty form.

Completed beams with curve.

General view.

Pillar under construction. Why is the form so deep though???

Another completed pillar.

Launcher support 1.

Launcher support detail 2.

Project Details.

Completed viaduct and launcher from ground.

Launcher and supports.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction

Last edited by mrtfreak; July 16th, 2006 at 11:57 AM.