daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #1
shelloil

Likes (Received): 1

Urban Morphology

Hey guys, this is my first post on the site so don't get mad if it's in the wrong place.

It's been quite some time that I've been interested in learning more about the urban morphology of dense cities, namely, the way individual buildings interact (and intertwine) to create patterns and essentially, urban fabrics.

Google Earth has been incredibly helpful in this, seeing many major cities in full 3D is a beautiful resource for learning purposes, however, it has it's limits.

I want to know if any of you know of any other sources for information of how cities function, or perhaps, where I could get free floor plans of buildings in cities like Venice, Paris or Budapest?

Thank you so much!
Shell.
shelloil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #2
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

Hmm, from experience I'd say that the functional morphology of urban environments is the hardest one to grasp from the outside. Quite impossible IMO. The only way to aquire understanding of it is by lived experience, which is how I, too, have become interested in the subject. Lived experience changes dramatically your beliefs, to the extent that it will actually turn upside down a lot of them.

I don't know where you live and what are your life plans, but if you seriously want to get into this (say, if you genuinely want to become a city planner), I'd suggest living in Western Europe for a couple of years, in a few of its key cities, changing appartment every few months in order to experience the various kind of living situations.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; September 26th, 2017 at 10:59 AM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote