daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM   #21
Craig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser
It might be me being cynical,,,but over that last few years,esp since the Commonwealth Games,there as been quite a few mysterious fires, that have caused shitty old building to be demolished around the city centre,and surprise surprise, a developer is interested in the site,,,im not compaining it it finally get something done,instead of derelict buildings being left to rot for years on end....
You're right in that there have been dodgy fires in the past. There is a well known Ancoats arsenist who is now back out of prison so that may explain things. However the developer for this site is a well respected local one and were gutted that this happened as they knew people would put 2 and 2 together and get 5. Anyway they would have obtained permission to drop this so why jeopardise your reputation by hiring someone to torch it?
Craig no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 4th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #22
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

just drove down Gt Ancoats St,and the site where the BSC tower is going is being demolished,,
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #23
Diggler
Manctastic!

Likes (Received): 1

Barmy, mad ... that's all I can say!

Don't think this website has been posted before?

Chips for sale
Diggler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #24
caw123
Hit the north!

It has.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #25
highriser

The site where the BSC, Gt Ancoats St tower going ,,,thought it was on fire today,shouldnt be long till this has gone

Old August 5th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #26
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2734

Keep the pics coming Highriser!

The site to the left of the works, think it used to be a car rental place, grey wall and grey metal bar and post is up for sale! Sign says available for redevelopment!
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #27
highriser

I'll do me best matey,,,im in between jobs at the moment so im in the city centre most days job hunting,,GIZZA JOB
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #28
Diggler
Manctastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser
The site where the BSC, Gt Ancoats St tower going ,,,thought it was on fire today,shouldnt be long till this has gone

Are they knocking down what used to be "Barons" shop? Is an eyesore of a building.

But still have a fond memory of it, that was where my parents bought my first computer when I was 11 ... a Commodore Vic 20. State of the art....!
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #29
highriser

The new IVLA store,,with the Piccadilly cranes behind it

Old August 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #30
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggler
Are they knocking down what used to be "Barons" shop? Is an eyesore of a building.
That is correct.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #31
Diggler
Manctastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
That is correct.
Great news!
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #32
highriser

A new render of the BSC , Gt Ancoats tower,,on the hoardings around that site

Old August 9th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #33
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2734

Couple of renderings of Murrays Mills!

http://www.ancoatsbpt.co.uk/images/Journal12.pdf
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #34
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 349

Good to see the Gt Ancoats St tower finally underway. Seems to have taken forever.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #35
SleepyOne

Thanks a lot for that picture highriser (the view from Newton Street?). This development should be quite special once complete. Looks a really high quality building and I like how its smooth curves echoes those of the neighbouring Daily Express building.

The architects are Lifschutz Davidson who did the interior design for the Harvey Nichols restaurant.

Great to see this start and adding more 'critical mass' to Great Ancoats St.

Here's the original render looking along Great Ancoats Street.

Last edited by SleepyOne; August 9th, 2005 at 10:50 PM.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #36
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne
Thanks a lot for that picture highriser (the view from Newton Street?). This development should be quite special once complete. Looks a really high quality building and I like how its smooth curves echoes those of the neighbouring Daily Express building.

The architects are Lifschutz Davidson who did the interior design for the Harvey Nichols restaurant.

Great to see this start and adding more 'critical mass' to Great Ancoats St.

Here's the original render looking along Great Ancoats Street.

The view is up Newton Street. The original design is by Lifshutz Davidson in fact it was effectively the last building Ian Davidson designed before he tragically and unexpectedly died some two years ago. Arca are now working on the project and I hope they don't dilute the original too much.

For interest although the hoarding doesn't say so there will be some four bedroom apartments also.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #37
SleepyOne

Quote:
The [new] view is up Newton Street. The original design is by Lifshutz Davidson in fact it was effectively the last building Ian Davidson designed before he tragically and unexpectedly died some two years ago. Arca are now working on the project and I hope they don't dilute the original too much.

For interest although the hoarding doesn't say so there will be some four bedroom apartments also.
You say Arca are now working on the project? The same architects BSC Group employed for their Greengate site which produced the monsterous Canopus tower? Im slightly worried now. I wonder if Arca are also being employed to work on Stephenson Bell's superb Dale St tower (aka Sarah Tower) another of BSC's projects.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #38
frozenmusic

Indeed, I wouldn't trust the Arca/BSC combination to come up with a coherent sentence, let alone a building. It’s weird to think that buildings by these people are actually on site – make me very worried that Canopus could happen.
frozenmusic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #39
Craig

I actually think Arca are a good practice and BSC have agreed to keep pretty true to the LD design. The problem with one practice taking on a scheme from another one is that inevitably professional pride comes in and they want to 'improve' on the original.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #40
highriser

from the Kings sturge website

Manchester’s Residential team has been instructed by developers, BSC Group, on the £27 million scheme in Ancoats, just outside the City Centre.

Demolition is already in progress and the new Ancoats Sarah Village is to be completed by the end of 2007. The development and construction of this landmark scheme has two buildings, 139 residential units, retail and leisure facilities and mixed use businesses.

There will be one, two, three and four bedroom apartments, located on Great Ancoats Street (sometimes referred to as “the World’s first industrial suburb”) at the top of Newton Street with 94 car parking spaces.

In approximately three to four weeks, release of 30 two bedroom units (without parking) will be available to the investment market from £144,000 to £166,500.

The development of Ancoats began in the late 1700s, and peaked during the Industrial Revolution, but it saw its fair share of casualties during the two World Wars and there was further decline in the 1960s with the mass clearance of the area's terraced homes, the population was re-housed in the north and east of the city. The mills, attracting decreasing rents, fell into disrepair.

Newspaper printing, one of Ancoats' 20th Century industries, fell victim to changes in technology, with the Daily Express ceasing to be published from its famous black glass building in 1989. The closure of the Express Printers was also the start of Ancoats' renewal, and part of it now is a designated Conservation Area.