daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #101
Farsight

Likes (Received): 106

It was on the Broadway Malyan website, Sleepy. They seem to have a bad reputation here, but the stuff on their website looks OK. Do they have a bad reputation here, and can you say why?

I know what you mean about the two block relating to each other. I like the bigger block at the rear, but the smaller block at the front doesn't match it too well. If it shared the same slanting verticals and zigzag slope it might look more harmonious and pleasing.

Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 8th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #102
Craig

Likes (Received): 0

But then you are at risk of the development beginning to look the same and a bit monolithic. I prefer variety within a development that comprises distinct parts and there are many ways of achieving that - not quite sure BM have got it bang on with this one,
Craig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #103
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 311

Its similar to the old plan for Clarence Dock in Leeds. The Leeds tower was clad in white though.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #104
Farsight

You mean this one?

Old November 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #105
inquisitor57
No more heroes anymore

Hmmmm

I have to say I prefer the Leeds design, although the Manchester one certainly is a little more original in its use of colour and cladding.
inquisitor57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #106
Farsight

Can I have the Manchester ziggedyzag tower sloping all the way to the ground like some razorback armadillo, in the Leeds colours please? Weasty? How about a bit of photoshoppin?
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #107
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

I dont think there is much point in comparing an unrealised concept visual to a bona fide proposal which is starting on site. You could say this development shares characteristics with virtually every proposal out there... but to me, the similarities between the lowrise block here and the lowrise block within Broadway Malyan's Erie Basin scheme is staggaring. This alone suggests they have not put much thought or effort into this project.

The highrise block I find doesn't have pleasing proportions and the two together seem not to relate nor say anything about their environs. Its just plain odd. That said, the other render reveals the tower to have considerable depth and quite a complex shape so maybe Im selling it short but as Ive said, their other schemes such as The Edge are quite dreadfully detailed and have scant regard for context too. NV Buildings are not perfect either.

All in all Im worried. The fact that even with two renders it is difficult to perceive and orientate this development in my mind's eye within its environment (and I consider myself to have quite a good sense of spacial awareness) says a lot. Lets just hope that there is much more to this development than the renders can convey and take comfort in the prospect of some high quality cladding.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #108
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 9

Top marks on the Erie Basin observation, I fully agree with you there.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #109
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 13

Is it brick or a copper cladding? God forbid another brick monstroisty...
Manc Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #110
Farsight

It said sandstone and copper.
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #111
highriser

Likes (Received): 16

The Ancoat's revolution just keeps on steaming ahead
All from todays apps

Ancoats And Clayton Ward 077217/FO/2005/N1 01/11/2005 Car Park On New Mount Street/Simpson Street Ancoats Erection of part 7 and part 8 storey building comprising 229 units of student accommodation with 70 parking spaces at ground and lower ground floor levels

Ancoats And Clayton Ward 077449/FO/2005/N1 04/11/2005 Former Bengal Mill Situated On The Junction Of Naval Street Bengal Street And Jersey Street Ancoats Erection of a mixed use development comprising 128 residential apartments 1916sqm commercial floorspace (B1), car parking with related access and associated works following the demolition of remaining structures associated with Bengal Mill, and remedial works to stabilize and make good Beehive Mill

Ancoats And Clayton Ward 077455/LO/2005/N1 04/11/2005 Former Bengal Mill Situated On The Junction Of Naval Street Bengal Street And Jersey Street Ancoats LISTED BUILDING CONSENT demolition of remaining structures associated with Bengal Mill and remedial works to stabilize and make good Beehive Mill

Ancoats And Clayton Ward 077507/LO/2005/N1 02/11/2005 The Former Goulden Street Police And Fire Station Goulden Street New Cross Ancoats LISTED BUILDING CONSENT. Demolition of building
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #112
caw123
Hit the north!

Some Ancoats chuff

I like this lot

And me stood on the ISIS site, note aforementioned drill.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #113
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Was inside Cuba Cafe recently (friend was taking photographs inside).
You should go in for a beer - they have cuban dancing classes on most nights.
Not sure if they still do it, but there uses to some kind of topless cuban dancers serving you upstairs?!?!?
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #114
Shmuckadoodle

Location: Greater Madchester, England, UK, Western Europe, Earth, Space (North)

is the building on the 4th pic being demolished? I hope not

~Albert Einstein

City of peace
9462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #115
skymann
Gtr Mcr,1st after Gtr Ldn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9462
is the building on the 4th pic being demolished? I hope not
That's the old Ancoats Hospital and it is gonna stay as part of the development. Being made into apartments. They should be pretty good. Wonder how much they'll sell for??
skymann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #116
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 311

I'm very pleased that the old Ancoats hospital is getting redone. Tis a great building. That Cuba Cafe looks like a very cool little piece of urban culture too
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #117
SleepyOne

News on a new development at Bengal Mill and at the titanic Royal Mills site.

Quote:
A double take for Ancoats
David Thame

ING Real Estate's new business centre

A DOUBLE development is about to recharge the residential and office scene in Ancoats.

In the first, Nikal, the Manchester property company backed by millionaire Lancashire industrialist Alan Murphy has announced plans for an £18m development.

The second is a 72,000-sq ft business centre by ING Real Estate at the £85m Royal Mill.

Nikal - founded two years ago by Murphy and property developer Nick Payne - is to build 18,500 sq ft of office space and 128 apartments at Bengal Mill, near Piccadilly station.

The scheme will be built as a joint venture with Flint-based David McLean Developments, supported by Euro-funding. It will also require compulsory purchase orders to create the site.

It is not the first time the two companies have worked together. They are partners on the £350m Masshouse scheme in Birmingham and the planned £150m regeneration of Altrincham town centre.

Regeneration

Nikal/David McLean aim to start on site by summer 2006 with completion expected in spring 2008. The scheme already has the backing of urban regeneration company, New East Manchester.

The plan marks a return to central Manchester for Nick Payne, a chartered surveyor and a former director of both Westport Developments and Ask Developments, who was behind some of Manchester's most high-profile retail and leisure schemes in the 1990s.

They include Barca, the bar which helped transform the Castlefield canal basin in the mid-1990s; the Malmaison Hotel, and Deansgate Locks, the award-winning development which converted disused railway arches by the canal into fashionable bars and shops.

Murphy previously owned AM Paper Converters, a Skelmersdale company he set up in 1983, supplying own-label toilet paper to supermarkets. He sold the company in 1997.

ING Real Estate's plans for Royal Mills have also been unveiled for a 72,000-sq ft, fully-fitted business centre. When complete, Royal Mills will provide a total of 4,056 sq m (43,660 sq ft) of business space in two phases, with 312 apartments. Agents are Drivers Jonas and Jencis.

Craig - are there any images around for the Bengal Mill site? Who are the architects?
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #118
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

The pic in the MEN of the Royal Mills looked as though this was almost complete?
Either that or is was a very good render/bad reading light?

Any retail incorporated within this? Looks like a nice environment to wile away half an hour.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #119
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne
Craig - are there any images around for the Bengal Mill site? Who are the architects?
Leach Rhodes Walker - they have provided some CGIs for the planning app. The development consists of two distinct buildings linked via a meeting room. One is faced with a dark blue brick (large bricks not the standard UK size ones) the other is finished in a white render with a rounded corner to it. Its a good mix of offices and resi. Doubt the scheme itself will win any design awards but its OK.
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #120
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbeach
The pic in the MEN of the Royal Mills looked as though this was almost complete?
Either that or is was a very good render/bad reading light?

Any retail incorporated within this? Looks like a nice environment to wile away half an hour.
The image in MEN is a CGI - pretty convincing though but no the scheme is not finished yet. The internal glass covered courtyard will incorporate some food/booze units and there is a covered retail mini-mall in another part of the scheme that will be part of phase two.