daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #121
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Leach Rhodes Walker - they have provided some CGIs for the planning app. The development consists of two distinct buildings linked via a meeting room. One is faced with a dark blue brick (large bricks not the standard UK size ones) the other is finished in a white render with a rounded corner to it. Its a good mix of offices and resi. Doubt the scheme itself will win any design awards but its OK.
Thanks Craig. The render in the MEN of part of the development looked remarkably similar to the Nikal development off Chapel Street - also by LWR, and not something I found particularly attractive so I was hoping it wasn't LWR for this Ancoats development too.

Thanks for the detail about cladding materials. I think we should have better aspirations than "ok" - especially in such a sensitive and distinctive part of the city as Ancoats Urban Village. I await (with trepidation) to see the renders.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #122
Craig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne
Thanks Craig. The render in the MEN of part of the development looked remarkably similar to the Nikal development off Chapel Street - also by LWR, and not something I found particularly attractive so I was hoping it wasn't LWR for this Ancoats development too.

Thanks for the detail about cladding materials. I think we should have better aspirations than "ok" - especially in such a sensitive and distinctive part of the city as Ancoats Urban Village. I await (with trepidation) to see the renders.
I agree Sleepy AUV deserves the best, but it is the developer that chooses the architect and quite often its the wrong choice. LRW certainly aren't Manchester's worst but you can do a lot better. The good news is that there are some very good architects working in Ancoats including Richard Murphy Architects on Murrays Mills.
Craig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #123
SleepyOne

Quote:
I agree Sleepy AUV deserves the best, but it is the developer that chooses the architect and quite often its the wrong choice. LRW certainly aren't Manchester's worst but you can do a lot better. The good news is that there are some very good architects working in Ancoats including Richard Murphy Architects on Murrays Mills.
Yes LRW seem to be one of those middle ranking practices that has the capacity to to produce some pretty impressive buildings such as Liverpool's Malmaison and Jefferson Place in Green Quarter but also some less good ones. I havn't been impressed with their proposal for Chapel St and going off the render in the MEN yesterday Im dubious about this proposal too. Still, lets wait and see.

As for Richard Murphy Architects proposals for Murrays Mills, yeah I posted them up a while ago - very impressive. Any idea when its due to start?? Their website states summer '06 which I presume is accurate?

Quote:
Ancoats Urban Village - Murrays Mills

This complex of buildings arranged in a quadrangle was built between the years 1798 and 1806 in Ancoats, an historic industrial suburb of Manchester. It currently consists of the Old/Decker Mill and the New Mill with their associated Engine Houses and the former administration building on Murray Street.

Ancoats Buildings Preservation Trust were the client for the shell-repair and conservation works began on site in September 2004. Our client, The Burrell Company / Inpartnership Ltd., has commissioned us to design proposals for the development of these important buildings.

Our scheme, which was identified as the preferred development scheme (won in competition in September 2004) proposes a mixed use for the site consisting 112 apartments and 1700m2 of office space within the mill buildings and engine houses; a Textile Resource Centre / Fashion Centre of Excellence within the Murray Street building; and a 60-bedroom new-build 'boutique' hotel on the currently vacant eastern side of the quad. The proposal will also reinstate the canal basin at the centre of the quad.

The architectural vision for the re-inhabitation of Murray's Mills is to create an enclosed central space, and to make new architecture which clearly differentiates between the restored historic buildings and new insertions. Externally, the new elements consist of corten-steel staircase/lift towers to the Old Mill and the Old Mill Engine House (echoing the form of the existing staircase); new external staircases to the first floor flats in the New Mill; and a glazed lift to one side of the Old Mill's existing brick staircase. The rebuilding of the top two stories of the Murray Street building would clearly present the contemporary exterior of the versatile new internal space of the Fashion Centre of Excellence.

Each mill has been developed with very differing residential strategies, neither utilizing the usual repetitive internal corridor solution with its inevitable single aspect flats. Instead, we wanted to consider alternative options to establish through-aspect flats so that the width and structural rhythm of the original warehouse could be appreciated.

New Mill: Taking our inspiration from the famous Unite d'Habitation in Marseilles by Le Corbusier, the top three floors have been provided with a central corridor down the middle (third) floor, the corridor giving access to a of a variety of flats on all three levels. The corridor itself is accessed using the existing Mill staircase and new liftshaft. This strategy has the advantage of ensuring the maximum number of possible through-aspect flats and therefore allowing a better reading of the original scale and structural rhythm of the building from within.

Old Mill: The strategy has been to externalise the circulation using three cores, one being the existing staircase and the other two being new corten-steel staircases and glazed lift towers. This approach allows us to make the incisions required for apartment access in a forensic manner, i.e. in lieu of new lift and stair cores within the historic structure. The flats have been planned so as to provide as many as possible through-aspect and, in a number of cases, through-space layouts which would give views of both the courtyard and the canal from the main living spaces.

Planning & Listed Building Consent Applications were submitted in September 2005 with an expected site start for the development of the apartments and offices in the Summer of 2006.

Old November 17th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #124
Farsight

Likes (Received): 194

When it comes to architects, don't forget the client has his own vision, and a budget. So when you see something that doesn't impress, it's not always all down to the architect.

Mind you this Murray Mills does sound like the architect's vision, and I'm not sure it quite works. The glass and stuff gives a nice glitz, but I were the client I'd be looking for the new portion to be brick faced with regular windows and a pitched roof. Maybe yellow brick for that old/new distinction. I'd also be thinking about losing the boilerhouse and chimney, and covering all buildings in bright (eg green) pitched roofs, but that might be pushing it too far because it's listed.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #125
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 131

Nikal announce their plans for Piccadilly

Nikal, Manchester property company backed by millionaire Lancashire industrialist Alan Murphy, have announced plans for an £18 million development at Bengal Mill near Piccadilly station.

Founded two years ago by Murphy and property developer Nick Payne, Nikal are to build 18,500 sq ft of office space and 128 apartments at the Bengal Mill site.

Whilst the scheme requires a compulsory purchase order to create the site, it is already being backed from urban regeneration company, New East Manchester and has been successful in securing Euro-funding.

A joint venture with David McLean Developments, this will not be the first time the two companies have worked together. They are also partners on the £350m Masshouse scheme in Birmingham and the planned £150m regeneration of Altrincham town centre.

Nikal and David McLean aim to start on the site by summer 2006 with completion expected by spring 2008.
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #126
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight
When it comes to architects, don't forget the client has his own vision, and a budget. So when you see something that doesn't impress, it's not always all down to the architect.

Mind you this Murray Mills does sound like the architect's vision, and I'm not sure it quite works. The glass and stuff gives a nice glitz, but I were the client I'd be looking for the new portion to be brick faced with regular windows and a pitched roof. Maybe yellow brick for that old/new distinction. I'd also be thinking about losing the boilerhouse and chimney, and covering all buildings in bright (eg green) pitched roofs, but that might be pushing it too far because it's listed.
You're right there's no way you'd get away with an intervention of that scale on a Grade II* Listed structure - particularly Manchester's oldest surviving cotton spinning mill.

Timescale wise Sleepy I think summer 06 is still possible if optimistic. The shell repair scheme that's underway at the moment will not finish until spring.
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #127
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by markydeedrop

Nikal, Manchester property company backed by millionaire Lancashire industrialist Alan Murphy, have announced plans for an £18 million development at Bengal Mill near Piccadilly station.
Near Piccadilly station? Useless MEN hacks
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #128
skymann
Gtr Mcr,1st after Gtr Ldn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Near Piccadilly station? Useless MEN hacks
You do wonder if some of the useless so-called journos from MEN have ever set foot in Mcr, they seem to know so few facts about the place. Maybe they just can't get off their fat arses and find out the facts.
Have stopped buying the MEN coz the writing's so shit.
skymann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #129
SleepyOne

Interesting article on Murray's Mills (pictured post #123) from Cobbetts' website no less.

Quote:
Further Regeneration For Ancoats
Nov 16 2005

Leading law firm Cobbetts has advised Ancoats Buildings Preservation Trust (ABPT) on the £11.5 million shell repair project for Murrays’ Mills in Ancoats, Manchester.

Murrays’ Mills were built in 1798 are Grade II* listed, which puts them in the top 6% of listed buildings in England. The mills are located within the Ancoats Conservation Area, in a region short-listed for designation by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

ABPT secured funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the North West Development Agency to carry out the restoration project at Murrays’ Mills. Kate Dickson, Director ABPT explains: “The historic essence of Murrays’ Mills will be preserved through the sensitive restoration and strengthening of these Georgian structures which is well underway and due for completion in Spring 2006.” The construction work is being undertaken by Wates Construction with BDP and GTMS providing architectural and project management services.

Upon completion of the shell repairs project, Murrays’ Mills will be handed back to their owner, the NWDA, who compulsory purchased the property as part of a larger CPO within Ancoats.

Following a developer competition, the NWDA has appointed Inpartnership as their preferred developer to fit out the buildings following the completion of the shell repairs project and, to return Murrays’ Mills to active use. It is anticipated that the lower ground floor will provide commercial space, with residential apartments on the upper floors. Inpartnership hope to attract a boutique hotel in part of the complex.

Mark Barker, Partner at Cobbetts comments: “The repair and re-use of the mill complex is important for the social and technological history of the country and, for the regeneration of Ancoats. Throughout the project there has been a very strong emphasis on the heritage and conservation issues and, as a result, future occupiers will be subject to restrictions which protect and preserve the heritage and conservation status of the buildings.”

Look at the present state of the complex in the picture above. Hard to believe the transformation proposed for these buildings. Will look excellent when complete.

So apartments, a boutique hotel, office space and as is stated on the archtiects' website a "Textile Resource Centre / Fashion Centre of Excellence". - Craig any more info on this last element?
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:19 PM   #130
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne
So apartments, a boutique hotel, office space and as is stated on the archtiects' website a "Textile Resource Centre / Fashion Centre of Excellence". - Craig any more info on this last element?
The textile centre thing is highly unlikely to go ahead - its a long story and concerns decisions made beyond the control of the developer.
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:30 PM   #131
Craig

An image of the Nikal/David McLean proposal for the former Bengal Street Mill site:

Old November 21st, 2005, 07:41 PM   #132
Farsight

Likes (Received): 194

Now that I like.

Echoes of the GN tower facade? There seems to be some sort of "21st Century" style emerging, where the windows are grouped into sleek boxes, and modest relief and/or curves adds interest to an otherwise cost-effective building. I like it.

In contrast the new portion proposed for Murray Mills looks somehow "20th Century". I hope it gets revised. Maybe to key into the older portions, eg with regular windows and a black roof. Otherwise I think they'd be better off sticking with the old style throughout and go for some symmetry.

Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:17 PM   #133
SleepyOne

Thanks for that image Craig. Better than I expected. Particularly like the detail around the windows to the darker blue block.
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #134
highriser

Likes (Received): 30

I honestly think that, people dont realise how much regeneration is going on around here, there are loads of development's on the go

And these funky house's have shot up i didnt know these had started

highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #135
highriser

Likes (Received): 30

This peice of crap is nearly gone fron Gt Ancoat's St

The back of the Murray Mills
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #136
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 404

Cheers highriser. Those funky new townhouses have way exceeded my expectations. I'm very pleased with the outcome there When the hoardings come down and give it some good weather, they are going to look fantastic
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #137
Northbeach
A roussos is for life.

Cheers for the updates there Highriser - not as easy to hitch yourself round this neck of the woods.
Those builders must've been p*ssing themselves creating such houses.
Interesting, I'll give em that.
Northbeach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #138
SleepyOne

Great pics Highriser. Your second image and your last image are of the enourmous Royal Mills development as opposed to Murrays Mills which arn't due to start on site until mid '06 according to Craig.

ROYAL MILLS

ROYAL MILLS
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #139
Potato Man
I miss a hot dog

Actually Sleepy, work is on site at Murrays. We just need to differentiate between the shell repair project, which will stop the mill complex from falling down and the work Inpartnership group will do transform these buildings into useable space for the 21st century.

Wates are currently performing the publicly funded shell repair contract. I think it's due to finish in about April, after which Inpartnership's guy's will be able to take over.
Potato Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #140
SleepyOne

Thanks Potatoman. Yes, Craig mentioned the shell repair phase of the works above. Got ahead of myself there.