daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #41
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I find interesting this dead-end industrial rail between Slovenia (where it begins) and Croatia (where it ends). Are there other similar industrial rails in Europe?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #42

Likes (Received): 1038

We have something similar but a lot bigger at the Dutch-Belgian border.
Zeeuws-Vlaanderen is a part of the Netherlands which is only connected with Belgium due to the Westerschelde estuary Zeeuws-Vlaanderen isn't connected with the mainland of the Netherlands.
There is a industrial railway network at Terneuzen which is only connected with the Belgian network.

Verso liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 05:10 AM   #43
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

The furthest reaching to the west wide-gauge railway line - almost 400 km from the Polish-Ukrainian border into Poland - is an industrial line. It was used for passenger traffic too in the early 1990s, but apart from that, from the moment of construction in 1970 till now, there is only cargo traffic on it.

Verso liked this post
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #44
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I find interesting this dead-end industrial rail between Slovenia (where it begins) and Croatia (where it ends). Are there other similar industrial rails in Europe?
Maastricht - Lanaken was partly rebuilt to serve a paper factory in Belgium. Can only be reached from the Netherlands.

Verso liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #45
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Nope, but due to break-up of Austria-Hungary we have a line that has dead end in Slovakia, while part of the line crosses the Hungarian territory.

Check this link,
it is north of the MÁV abbreviation: line Lučenec - Kalonda - Veľký Krtíš

Here is the schedule from 1992 - the last year the trains were operated in.

Verso liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #46
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

One of the best known railway lines not connected directly to its home country network is so called Istria Raiway to Pula in Croatia. Built between 1873 and 1876 in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, after the dissolution of Austria-Hungary it became a part of Italy and then after the World War Two of Yugoslavia. The ”disconnection” happend actually when Croatia became an independent country.
Actually it is located not so far from port and town of Rijeka, but due to mountains in-between the direct rail line to connect Pula and Rijeka was never realized.
Source: Wikimedia
The line is also pretty long, distance from Slovenian border to Pula being approx. 90 km.
As far as I know, there have been plans to build a new connection between Lupoglav and the main line near Rijeka (with a 14km long tunnel near Ucka), but no funds were provided.

In the meantime... the line still exists being served by as much as 6 daily trains, fortunately, as you can see on this short youtube video:

(author: Niklas Wertz)

PS. To clarify a bit. The connection with the other network physically exists, but not without crossing the EU/Schengen border (twice, if traveling back to Croatia).

Verso liked this post

Last edited by eu01; October 18th, 2017 at 08:21 PM.
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 02:24 AM   #47
suasion

Likes (Received): 1853

Of course there is also the 9km excursion into Bosnia between Užice and Prijepolje, most of it in a tunnel.

Is the Užice-Viségard line still open?

Old October 19th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #48
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01 View Post
PS. To clarify a bit. The connection with the other network physically exists, but not without crossing the EU/Schengen border (twice, if traveling back to Croatia).
Only the Schengen border, Croatia has been in the EU since 2013. The railway is pretty slow though, it takes about two hours from Pula to the Slovenian border, so it's a rather tourist line.
Old October 19th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #49
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
One of the best known railway lines not connected directly to its home country network is so called Istria Raiway to Pula in Croatia. Built between 1873 and 1876 in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, after the dissolution of Austria-Hungary it became a part of Italy and then after the World War Two of Yugoslavia. The ”disconnection” happend actually when Croatia became an independent country.
This is also the case, in the same country, with the line to Ploce.
MarcVD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #50
Gedeon

Likes (Received): 12490

Quote:
One of the best known railway lines not connected directly to its home country network is so called Istria Raiway to Pula in Croatia.
Another one in Croatia is Ploče - Metković - HR/BiH border - Čapljina railway.

Connection with the rest of Croatia is possible via Mostar and Sarajevo.

EDIT: Now I see that MarcVD already mentioned it.

And there is another example involving Croatia and Slovenia, Čakovec - Lendava line (serves mainly Lendava oil refinery). It ends in Lendava, but in the past it was connected to Redicz (Hungary).

Railway bridge over Mura river in Mursko Središče between Croatia and Slovenia on Čakovec-Lendava line

Last edited by Gedeon; October 19th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.
Gedeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #51
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

An unused international railway bridge

https://www.google.es/maps/@41.02556...2!8i6656?hl=es

Google picture taken from Portugal, ahead, after river, Spain (road with no booths at all)

Built in the late 19th century it operated until 1985 (when in Spain a lot of barely used lines were closed) and was shortest way Porto-Salamanca for instance

you can glance the former strech besides river or mountains in the surroundings despite it is 32 years ago there are nor further trains.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #52
eu01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
And there is another example involving Croatia and Slovenia, Čakovec - Lendava line (serves mainly Lendava oil refinery). It ends in Lendava, but in the past it was connected to Redicz (Hungary).
In fact, it wasn't just a minor local railway. There used to exist some long-distance trains from Hungary (possibly also from Bratislava in former Czechoslovakia) to Zagreb (and further?). I remember my escapade to former Yugoslavia around 1987 via Zalaegerszeg, Redics, Lendava, Mursko Središće, Čakovec and I didn't even realize that on a way to Croatia I was traveling via Slovenian territory.

Later the independent Slovenia, in order to get a direct link to Hungary, has decided to reactivate the unused/ partially dismantled line via Murska Sobota and Hodoš. An other option would have been to join the border crossing Lendava - Redics by means of a new track from an existing line near Ljutomer to Lendava, but building a brand new connection wouldn't have been the cheapest solution.

Last edited by eu01; October 19th, 2017 at 07:17 PM.
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:19 AM   #53
Verso
Islander

Quote:
In fact, it wasn't just a minor local railway. There used to exist some long-distance trains from Hungary (possibly also from Bratislava in former Czechoslovakia) to Zagreb (and further?). I remember my escapade to former Yugoslavia around 1987 via Zalaegerszeg, Redics, Lendava, Mursko Središće, Čakovec and I didn't even realize that on a way to Croatia I was traveling via Slovenian territory.
Did you travel on roads? Because the railway section Lendava–Rédics was dismantled in 1945.
Old October 20th, 2017, 02:26 AM   #54
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

Here in Denmark we have a little railroad between Třnder and Niebüll in Germany.

The line is part of Arriva's network in Jutland and the train go as far as Esbjerg in the other end.

There is a train roughly every second hour between Esbjerg and Niebüll so the service is not so bad.

On regular weekdays there is an additional train every hour from Třnder to Esbjerg.

Last edited by bongo-anders; October 20th, 2017 at 02:37 AM.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #55
eu01

Quote:
Did you travel on roads? Because the railway section Lendava–Rédics was dismantled in 1945.
Indeed, sources say it was dismantled in 1945. In 1985 or so I crossed the border between Redics and Lendava on road and 2 years later have traveled from Western Hungary to Zagreb on train, must have been via Murakeresztur Kotoriba then.
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #56
Gedeon

Likes (Received): 12490

Quote:
Indeed, sources say it was dismantled in 1945. In 1985 or so I crossed the border between Redics and Lendava on road and 2 years later have traveled from Western Hungary to Zagreb on train, must have been via Murakeresztur Kotoriba then.
Or via Murakeresztur-Gyekenyes-Koprivnica. This is the only electrified route, and today the only route trains take between Budapest and Zagreb.

But I remember that in the past there was a train that took Zagreb-Varaždin-Čakovec-Kotoriba-Murakeresztur route and onwards to Budapest.
Gedeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #57
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

The Südbahn wasn't really a local rail line but it is certainly an example of a domestic rail line which saw the rise of not merely one but even two borders along it. To this day it is an important freight rail link between the harbour of Trieste and Vienna, via Maribor and Ljubljana. Passenger rail is a mixed basket though.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...est-(1841).jpg

Ugo Fantozzi liked this post

Last edited by Slartibartfas; October 20th, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Slartibartfas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 01:27 AM   #58
Verso
Islander

That seems to be a plan from 1841, but not entirely followed, because the railway doesn't run via Ptuj (Pettau) and Gorizia (Görz).
Old October 21st, 2017, 09:45 AM   #59
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Yes indeed. I did not find a better historical map than the innitially planned corridor though. This map seems more accurate with the actually built line, but lacks detail:

http://www.oberegger2.org/enzyklopae...ejb_karte1.jpg

Last edited by Slartibartfas; October 21st, 2017 at 09:50 AM.
Slartibartfas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:42 AM   #60
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
They are used only by passenger trains, but here are 4 other examples of cross border railways without track connection to other railways in one of the two states:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/49.4672/6.0265 (two lines)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/47.5091/6.9811 (next year the line north of Delle will reopen)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/45.83943/8.93190 (tourist line which ends near Malnate, it was used a few days a year until 2014 then was closed because of works of the line to Varese (see previous posts) and never reactivated)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/50.8128/6.0333 (tourist line)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/53.9140/14.2514 (the Polish town of Swinoujscie has no fixed link at all with the rest of Poland)

https://www.google.ch/maps/place/Ens...72!4d6.8936619 (tracks are conencted, but separated by buffers, so they act as two separate lines)

The line to Volmerange-les-Mines (first link) is curious because it has been built from scratch as a dead end in France, all other examples are lines that were closed once, and then reactivated on one side only, but originally were not dead end.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Verso, NS162 liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
aragón, canfranc