SkyscraperCity Forum banner

North Bay: Downtown views from atop City Hall

5K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  partybits 
#1 ·
A couple of weeks ago i took my camera to City Hall and went inside hoping to get some shots from the 7th floor, but i was only able to get access to the the 6th floor, as the 7th floor is not open to the public. Sorry about the poor picture quality, my camera is pretty cheap-ass.

Here's City Hall

Here are some downtown views:

Looking North between Mcintyre and Worthington Streets:

Looking up Mcintyre:

A little to the East, looking up Worthington:

Old neighborhoods East of City Hall, nice old brick density!:

Here a few shots taken during March and April from in and around downtown. The last of our snow finally melted around the first week of April -- not soon enough for my liking!

Main Street:

Copeland Street:

Jane Street:

First Avenue:

Thanks for having a look.

See less See more
#3 ·
North Bay has a better skyline than Thunder Bay :p

Are you aware: Tourism Thunder Bay recently began a campaign hailing our city as "Gateway to the North" though it was cut short when a resident from North Bay complained.

Those pictures are prety good for a cheap-ass camera. Nice a dn clean down there, too.

#6 ·
softee said:
Thanks for the comments. Thunder Bay is more a "gateway to the west" wouldn't you say Vid?
Yeah, it is. Though Winnipeg says it isn't :| But they can kiss my ass :p

Simon Dawson was sent here to make a road to expand to the west. He wasn't sent to Winnipeg, he wa sent to the Lakehead. And when you look at the road map, you HAVE to go through Thunder Bay when driving cross country, whereas once you get into Manitoba ther are countless roads that could take you west without going near Winnipeg. If you tried that in Thunder Bay, you'd end up on a dead end logging road :p

We are hte Gateway to the west. I guess North Bay would be the gateway to the North West, though. Whatever.

You should try and get pictures of more "highrises" in the city. I'd like to compare them to ours..

#7 ·
Yo Vid, last fall i posted pics of many of North Bay's highrises, and you were actually the only one to comment on it! Here's the thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=141555

Here's my full list of North Bay buildings with 4 or more storeys:

14 storey residential (apartment, built 1973 *demolished* 1982)
12 storey residential (condo, approved for construction)
12 storey residential (condo, approved for construction - twin of above)
11 storey residential (apartment, 1982 - built on same site as demolished building)
11 storey residential (apartment, early 1970's)
10 storey residential (condo, 1987)
8 storey residential (apartment, 1986)
8 storey residential (apartment, early 1970's)
7 storey office (1977)
7 storey office (originally a theatre, 1920's)
7 storey residential (condo, 1987)
7 storey residential (condo, 1986)
7 storey residential (apartment, early 1980's)
7 storey residential (apartment, 1970's)
7 storey residentail (apartment-hotel, 1970's)
7 storey residential (condo, 1970's)
6 storey office (1985)
6 storey office (theatre with offices above, 1920's)
6 storey hospital (1960's)
6 storey hospital (1930's)
6 storey residential (condo, approved for construction)
6 storey residential (apartment, approved for construction)
6 storey residential (apartment suites, under construction)
6 storey educational (student residence, 2004)
6 storey educational (student residence, 2002)
6 storey residential (condo, 1988)
6 storey residential (apartment, 1987)
6 storey residential (apartment, 1986)
6 storey residential (apartment, 1980's)
6 storey residential (apartment, 1970's)
6 storey residential (apartment, 1970's)
6 storey residential (condo, 1970's)
6 storey residential (convent/former girls school, 1940's)
5 storey parking garage (2002)
5 storey office (1988)
5 storey office (1970's)
5 storey office (1960's)
5 storey YMCA (early 1980's)
5 storey educational (highschool, 1930's)
5 storey educational (student residence, 1996)
5 storey residential (apartment, 1991)
5 storey residential (apartment, 1990)
5 storey residentail (apartment, 1988)
5 storey residential (apartment, 1987)
5 storey residential (condo, 1987)
5 storey residential (condo, 1986)
5 storey residential (apartment, 1986)
5 storey residential (condo, early 1980's)
5 storey residential (apartment, early 1980's)
5 storey residential (apartment, 1970's)
5 storey residential (apartment, 1970's)
5 storey residential (apartment/former hotel, 1927)
4 storey office (1989)
4 storey office (1987)
4 storey office (1980's)
4 storey office (1970's)
4 storey office (1960's)
4 storey office (1950's)
4 storey office (1920's)
4 storey hotel (1950's)
4 storey hotel (now apartments-1920's)
4 storey hotel (now a bar with upper floors being renovated- 1900's)
4 storey educational (student residence, under construction)
4 storey residential (apartment, early 1990's)
4 storey residential (condo, 1980's)
4 storey residential (apartment, 1970's)
4 storey residential (apartment, 1960's)
4 storey residential (apartment, 1960's)

#8 ·
75.. Wow, I'm only at 56 with mine (though I haven't counted all the 4 storey condos in the south end and under construction, and the downtowns are sketchy) but in terms of "highrises" we'll be equal once those new ones are built (we have 3, 16floor Res, 14floor res, 12 floor assited living) You beat us in the 7+ catagory, though..

I have a thread for ones from Thunder Bay somewhere, but it's incomplete (i've added a few since I posted it)

#9 ·
Pretty cool, I live northeast of Vid in Timmins. I think we have maybe 30 buildings with over 4 floors, the tallest being the Days Inn, followed by Preston Place and the Pine Building. I was really surprised when I went to Sault Ste. Marie for a science symposium with their "downtown". They actually have a really big downtown for a city with only 75,000 residents. I counted 6 buildings with over 10 floors.

And I always thought Timmins was the Gateway to the North, considering we're the northern-most settlement with city status in Ontario.

RHF

#11 ·
Hah! Yeah there aren't any palm trees in North Bay but I can tell you that it's been disgustingly hot, hazy and humid here for the last week or so and I hate it.

CFB North Bay has not closed, although it has been significantly downsized. The Federal Government has commited to keeping the base running for the next 20 years, and the underground NORAD complex is in the process of being relocated to a newly constructed and state-of-the-art above ground complex.

Here is an out-dated (June 2003) list of NB's top ten employers -- the top ten employers are probably unchanged, although there has probably been some shuffling in their ranks in the last two years -- Nipissing U has certainly grown in the last two years.

1. Near North District School Board 2518
2. Ministry of the Solicitor General and Correctional Services 1329
3. North Bay General Hospital 1141
4. Nipissing University 1061
5. Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) 916
6. Conseil Scolaire Catholique Franco-Nord 850
7. Nipissing - Parry Sound Catholic District School Board 714
8. North Bay Psychiatric Hospital 650
9. Corporation of the City of North Bay, The 574
10. Canadore College of Applied Arts and Technology 557

#14 · (Edited)
North Bay has been going through quite the real estate boom the last few years and while houses are cheap compared to Toronto, Vancouver and other major cities, North Bay has the distinction of having the most expensive housing market in all of Northern Ontario as well as the highest rents.

#17 ·
All right! I just won a bet (which means a beer). thanks to you. Friend of mine thought it was nowhere near Quebec, I double checked google maps and saw how close it was.

Anyways, I'm probably only going to be in town for a couple hours, what would you guys recommending visiting. We'll be getting off at the train station, I presume downtown.

#18 · (Edited)
If you're only in town for a couple of hours i recommend going to the waterfront -- it's a very lovely area to stroll around and is often quite busy with walkers, cyclists and in-line skaters well into the evening on nice days. There are some beautiful old neighbourhoods with century old homes just off of the waterfront area along Main St. West, Mcintyre St. West, Copeland and Murray Streets if you're into that sort of thing.

The train station is actually about 1.5 km away from downtown across the highway and beside the city's biggest shopping mall, but it's a quick jaunt to the downtown area. I recommend taking Cassells St. into the downtown area as it's a more interesting St. than Fisher St. and it leads you much closer to the intersection of Main St. West and Memorial Drive -- which leads to the waterfront area.

#20 ·
I'll also be in North Bay this summer... probably in a couple of weeks, actually. Unofficial family reunion-type thing (I'll soon be returning to the country after being abroad [without visiting home] for about two years).

I can't wait to see Lake Nipissing again. My grandmother and grandfather used to have a big house right by the shore... very scenic.

#21 ·
softee said:
The train station is actually about 1.5 km away from downtown across the highway and beside the city's biggest shopping mall, but it's a quick jaunt to the downtown area. I recommend taking Cassells St. into the downtown area as it's a more interesting St. than Fisher St. and it leads you much closer to the intersection of Main St. West and Memorial Drive -- which leads to the waterfront area.
Going to be getting to North Bay next weekend. Looking at google maps, I can see Cassels street and of courese Main. Can you tell me where the actual train station is located though. Either address or just intersection. Trying to get my bearings straight so I don't end up going up the TransCanada!

#22 ·
The Train Station is at the end of Station Road which runs off of Seymour Street which runs Eastward from the Trans Canada Highway. The station is behind Northgate Shopping Centre, and there is a tunnel access from inside the station which goes under the tracks and comes out at an entrance to the mall.

Exit the Mall through the tower court entrance and then walk across the parking area to the Independent Grocer building, then walk around the side of independent grocer close to the highway and there is a trail which leads through the fence and comes out at the Intersection of the Trans Canada Highway and Cassells Street/Trout Lake Road. Cassells St. and Trout Lake Road are the same street, but the name changes once it crosses the highway.

It sounds like quite a trek, but the entire walk from inside the station to the the intersection of Cassells St. and the highway should take no more than 10 minutes. Once you start walking down Cassells, you should hit Main St. after about 20 minutes or so.

#24 ·
Well, back from North Bay!. Spent about 3hrs there, most of the time walking from the train station to downtown, and than back.
The downtown looks great, and it has the old town charm with all the 3-4 story buildings lining up Main street. My biggest dissapointment was the harbourfront. There was absolutely nothing special to it. But, in all fairness, it seems that there in the midst of a revitalization, so it's unfair to judge based on what I saw.
Overall, nice city though. I'll probably be back up next year and hopefully see changes to the harbour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.