daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Dicky Sam's
Lifer Pol

Likes (Received): 0

Old and Victorian Liverpool - Black 'n' White photos

Has everybody visited this website?

Shows some really good photographs from the 1880's to the 1960's. One of my favourite Liverpool websites.

www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk
Dicky Sam's no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 21st, 2005, 02:52 AM   #2
Gazzab

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Sam's
Has everybody visited this website?

Shows some really good photographs from the 1880's to the 1960's. One of my favourite Liverpool websites.

www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk
Dicky, what a fantastic site.

I've sent it on to my dad, he'll love it.
Gazzab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM   #3
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Yea, great site.

That first picture (assuming it doesn't change regularly), is Shaw street opposite the Everton lockup, and on that note, are the currently crumbling Georgian terraces on Shaw street going to be left to Rot, or are they to be done up similar to the terrace near the Collegiate.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #4
kung_fuzi

Likes (Received): 2

Brilliant site,well worth a look
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #5
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 177

Came across this website, although not Victorian I think they are brilliant pics!!

London Road

Old Hall St, St Pauls Eye Hospital is at the top left side.

Pall Mall, Exchange Station is on the left.

South John Street.

Water Street.

http://www.oldclitheroe.co.uk/index3.htm

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #6
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 507

Brilliant pics, Doug, love the last one , trams and the Knife sharpener man pushing his grinding wheel, in Water St.
Old November 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #7
LABlue

Likes (Received): 91

Thanks for the clarification ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
Brilliant pics, Doug, love the last one , trams and the Knife sharpener man pushing his grinding wheel, in Water St.

... I thought it was Mike Storey carting all the stuff out of his desk...

LABlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

There was a great article in yesterday's mail about plans to put online over 180 tons of pics, posters etc from the National Railway Museums archives.

will eventually be on http://www.nrm.org.uk

Supposedly loads of stuff about Liverpool too.
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Doug Roberts

Happy New Year to all, both active and lurking.

Adelphi Hotel, 1870.

Old February 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Doug Roberts

Not Victorian but great anyway, both pictures from the DP.

Woodside in the 1930's, they knew all about 'transport interchanges' then.

Liverpool September 1939.

Old February 16th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #11
Craigie_Mann

Likes (Received): 4

Imagine if Liverpool hadnt been bombed the hell out of ggrrrr
Craigie_Mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #12
Martin S

Likes (Received): 624

There's so much nostalgia in that photo. The old 'Ferry to Liverpool' sign, trams, the Custom House, what looks like a paddle steamer on the Mersey, Woodside Station (the closest the GWR got to Liverpool), the vintage cars and a charabanc.

Does anyone know what that building was on the extreme left of the photo (Birkenhead side)?
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #13
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 1039

Looks like a bog standard warehouse or something Martin. Or do you mean the bit that looks like a covered terace?

Is it just me, or does the Albert Dock clock tower appear to be standing, just to the right of the Custom House?
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #14
Martin S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman View Post
Looks like a bog standard warehouse or something Martin. Or do you mean the bit that looks like a covered terace?

Is it just me, or does the Albert Dock clock tower appear to be standing, just to the right of the Custom House?
Think your right Bunny. The building I was thinking of is the one that looks like a covered terrace and must have been overlooking the old floating roadway cut.

I think the photo must have been taken in the very early 30s or earlier as you can't see the Georges Dock vent shaft behind the Port of Liverpool building (may just be the angle of the photograph).

If the photo was clearer, you might have been able to see the hydraulic tower over James Street station, (like the one at Hamilton Square), which was demolished after the blitz.
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #15
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Likes (Received): 41

What happened to our ******* clock tower anyway??

Excuse my language like.
Villiers Terrace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #16
TheMerseyOrange
M.O.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
Does anyone know what that building was on the extreme left of the photo (Birkenhead side)?
It's part of the former Woodside lairage/abattoir complex, Martin - built in 1879, in use until some time in the mid/late 70s and demolished to make way for the Woodside small business park in the early 90s.

Every building below the transit sheds alongside Morpeth branch dock was apparently involved in the Irish Sea livestock trade for which Birkenhead became the leading UK port, having been helped by a decision to concentrate all of the Mersey's Irish livestock traffic in Birkenhead for ease of control reasons following a foot & mouth outbreak in Ireland in 1913. The green line highlights the old wooden livestock walkway which allowed transfer of animals between the dedicated 'Wallasey' livestock stage (actually sited where Twelve Quays is now rather than in Wallasey proper) and Woodside. It had to be elevated to enable sufficient clearance over the Morpeth river entrance which I guess would've made it Wirral's 'Overhead Walkway'. The photo also shows the livestock-dedicated north end of the Woodside stage and its high-sided linkspan which prevented animals from seeing the river whilst coming ashore and becoming distressed as a consequence.

I think Doug's pic does pre-date the Queensway Tunnel works, probably late 20s/early 30s: there's a 1960s photo in one of the Mersey ferries history books taken from almost exactly the same point in which the Georges Dock vent shaft is visible immediately to the right of the PoL Building's main dome so if it had been built at that time we should be able to see it. If a date of around 1930 is correct then what we're looking at is a scene depicting the absolute peak of the Woodside ferry service - the ten years 1926-35 saw an average annual passenger throughput at Woodside of 13.2 million, peaking at 14.1m in 1927, as well as an annual average of 900,000 assorted vehicles over the same period.
TheMerseyOrange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #17
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 507

Talking Welcome to stinky Birkenhead.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerseyOrange View Post
It's part of the former Woodside lairage/abattoir complex, Martin - built in 1879, in use until some time in the mid/late 70s and demolished to make way for the Woodside small business park in the early 90s..
In the mid 60`s I used to get the ferry to work , and you always knew when a Irish boat had docked , you could smell it: nuts: Also I remember a tannary along New Chester Rd , was part of the CL site that also stunk to high heaven
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #18
romablue

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post

There's so much nostalgia in that photo. The old 'Ferry to Liverpool' sign, trams, the Custom House, what looks like a paddle steamer on the Mersey, Woodside Station (the closest the GWR got to Liverpool), the vintage cars and a charabanc.

You're right Martin this is full of Nostalgia. My Grandad was probably working in Woodside Station when that photo was taken.
romablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #19
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Nice photos of Liverpool on that site.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #20
Martin S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerseyOrange View Post
It's part of the former Woodside lairage/abattoir complex, Martin - built in 1879, in use until some time in the mid/late 70s and demolished to make way for the Woodside small business park in the early 90s.

Every building below the transit sheds alongside Morpeth branch dock was apparently involved in the Irish Sea livestock trade for which Birkenhead became the leading UK port, having been helped by a decision to concentrate all of the Mersey's Irish livestock traffic in Birkenhead for ease of control reasons following a foot & mouth outbreak in Ireland in 1913. The green line highlights the old wooden livestock walkway which allowed transfer of animals between the dedicated 'Wallasey' livestock stage (actually sited where Twelve Quays is now rather than in Wallasey proper) and Woodside. It had to be elevated to enable sufficient clearance over the Morpeth river entrance which I guess would've made it Wirral's 'Overhead Walkway'. The photo also shows the livestock-dedicated north end of the Woodside stage and its high-sided linkspan which prevented animals from seeing the river whilst coming ashore and becoming distressed as a consequence.

I think Doug's pic does pre-date the Queensway Tunnel works, probably late 20s/early 30s: there's a 1960s photo in one of the Mersey ferries history books taken from almost exactly the same point in which the Georges Dock vent shaft is visible immediately to the right of the PoL Building's main dome so if it had been built at that time we should be able to see it. If a date of around 1930 is correct then what we're looking at is a scene depicting the absolute peak of the Woodside ferry service - the ten years 1926-35 saw an average annual passenger throughput at Woodside of 13.2 million, peaking at 14.1m in 1927, as well as an annual average of 900,000 assorted vehicles over the same period.
Thanks very much Mersey O.