daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #1
adrienne2242

Likes (Received): 0

Architecture/Urban Design Project Question

Hi Everyone,

I am taking my first stab at urban design in school this semester, and am looking at Hamtramck, Michigan, USA as a site for intervention for an urban design proposal. I zoomed in to this city because of its rich ethnic-group diversity.

I narrowed the focus down to three different ethnic groups: Polish, Bangladeshi and Yemeni. This focus was determined by the identified locations and densities of ethnic-specific grocery stores, restaurants and places of worship in the area.

I want to design a public space that invigorates the unique identities of different ethnic groups in the area. My problem is that I need some solid precedents before I do so.

Does anyone have any good precedents for public space design that deals with the negotiation between various ethnic groups and the strengthening of ethnic identity in space?

Thanks!
adrienne2242 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #2
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Segregation based on racial and ethnic backgrounds was frowned upon and outlawed in the USA years ago. Not a lot, if any, attempts to foster such non-inclusive projects in recent decades.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #3
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10742

^ I think you misunderstood, she wants to conceive a public space that brings cultures together, not one that sepparates or antagonizes them.

Interesting question, I'll have to think about it.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #4
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
^ I think you misunderstood, she wants to conceive a public space that brings cultures together, not one that sepparates or antagonizes them.

Interesting question, I'll have to think about it.
"I want to design a public space that invigorates the unique identities of different ethnic groups in the area."

Sounds exactly like separation-but-equal and segregation. I think you may not be seeing this for what it is. But that's how social politics tends to work.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote