SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Will Midtown Atlanta be the dominate portion of the skyline in the future?

Midtown vs Downtown Atlanta

5K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  krazeeboi 
#1 ·
Do you think that Midtown Atlanta will become the dominate portion of Atlanta's skyline in the future? Right now, it seems that more and more people are focusing their camera's on this part of the Atlanta skyline as opposed to Downtown.

And Midtown's present popularity will only help to fuel more construction and more growth. It happened in NYC, with Downtown Manhattan vs Midtown Manhattan, can it happen here?

#4 ·
Midtown has been surging the past few years because it has become a hot area in which to play. More and more people are choosing to live there, there are jobs near by, and there is nightlife and cultural activities. Downtown has a lot of baggage it has to deal with. But with the Centennial Olympic Park area's pending boom, the rest of downtown may benefit from a spillover effect. If the COP area becomes a vibrant fun place, more people will want to live nearby and ghost towers like 191 will fill back up. Remember it wasn't too long ago that Midtown was dead. The Georgian Terrace Hotel and the Biltmore were both boarded up and decaying. Crime was high and parking lots were in the place of many of the buildings that are now the darling of the photographic set.

So I can't give a total answer but in general, it is too early to tell what the future is going to hold. In another two years the long term direction of both areas will become more clear.

#5 ·
How about neither? I think that in the future they will merge and there will be hardly distinction between where either begins or ends. Then, we will see Buckhead emerge as the "new Midtown", building some tall buildings. But, regardless, I'd have to say Downtown for now.

And anyways, won't some rule-abiding mod place this in the City vs City section for it to be slowly forgotton?

#7 ·
AubieTurtle said:
Midtown has been surging the past few years because it has become a hot area in which to play. More and more people are choosing to live there, there are jobs near by, and there is nightlife and cultural activities. Downtown has a lot of baggage it has to deal with. But with the Centennial Olympic Park area's pending boom, the rest of downtown may benefit from a spillover effect. If the COP area becomes a vibrant fun place, more people will want to live nearby and ghost towers like 191 will fill back up. Remember it wasn't too long ago that Midtown was dead. The Georgian Terrace Hotel and the Biltmore were both boarded up and decaying. Crime was high and parking lots were in the place of many of the buildings that are now the darling of the photographic set.

So I can't give a total answer but in general, it is too early to tell what the future is going to hold. In another two years the long term direction of both areas will become more clear.
I agree with your comments. Midtown is very popular right now, and the best architecture going up currently can be found in Midtown. Plus, the area has more of a cohesive feel to it that downtown Atlanta lacks. I personally don't care which area of Atlanta dominates in the future, so long as they both grow and prosper. I do see, however, a sort of trend towards the Midtown area right now, whether this will continue into the distant future is something we will have to wait and see.

#8 ·
I agree with most of what you guys have posted. Midtown is hot, Downtown has its issues, COP area is a key for Downtown and I also agree that they will merge and in a some ways already are a single elongated CBD. Whatever happens good in Midtown doesn't hurt downtown, it only helps and Downtown is growing northward. Downtown almost quietly (since Midtown gets all the press) has a lot going on it just has to all bear fruit. I think downtown is not in as dire a situation as even many Atlantans believe and that is has a bright future as well.

All that I guess is to say neither will be dominant but they will be one CBD.

#9 ·
I have to agree with Aubie Turtle, but I want to add that downtown right now is struggling to forge a new identity. Midtown is drawing some of the biggest law firms in Atlanta, the Federal Reserve for this region has moved from downtown to midtown, condos are popping up and selling faster in midtown than downtown and Atlantic Station is just a bridge away from Midtown.

But, DT has sports facilities, a new acquarium and at least one new museum, a new park, convention facilities, five hotels with over 1000 hotel rooms and history.

Momentum is definitely stronger in MT, but it seems to have a purpose. Maybe it's just change. DT needs to keep its jolts of momentum directed better. CAP tries to guide downtown, and maybe it is. Maybe the best thing for DT is for it's high vacancy rate to lower commercial rental rates to a point that companies all over metro Atlanta look at DT as the best location in metro Atlanta for the money?

#10 ·
downmidtown or midowntown?

If Michael Robinsons Streetcar concept starts rolling like it should than the two districts will feel even more contiguious. Neither Midtown nor Downtown can afford for the other to fail.

A much bigger threat to these two areas being successfull is an area like Sandy Springs incorporating independantly or the transit issue stagnation.

#11 ·
^Yes, I agree. It is important that the two areas keep their own identities, but that they also flow together via transportation, sidewalks, landscaping, etc... I would love for the Streetcar to come back. Peachtree, between Midtown and Downtown, needs to be redone to a more grand scale than what it is, especially because of its important to Atlanta. West Peachtree needs to be turned back into a two way road, as well as Spring Street. I forsee Midtown becomming the more upscale section, while downtown can fit in with the younger and more middle class demographics. I think that would work well, and would offer something for everyone. Centenniel Park is downtown's best shot at rivaling Midtown for the upscale dollar, though.

#12 ·
I know a lot of you guys don't care that much about things like office vacancy rates and square foot rental rates, and I can't say I blame you, but I think that next year when 191 Peachtree becomes 75% vacant after the move of King & Spalding to Symphony Tower, the longer that building sits at that or near that vacancy level will be an enourmous indicator of downtown's business health. If it's still half-empty by the end of 2007, the downtown office market will be in bad shape, with or without all the stuff around COP.

#15 ·
Does anyone know if the streetcar proposal has come up with any idea of how much the fare would be, because after looking at the proposed route, it seems that the streetcar could become a competitor with Marta, all the way from the West End station to the Buckhead and Lenox stations, and everywhere between. The streetcar could end up taking fares out of Marta's coffers. Is there any strategy to prevent this, because I didn't see it mentioned on the above website?

#16 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
Does anyone know if the streetcar proposal has come up with any idea of how much the fare would be, because after looking at the proposed route, it seems that the streetcar could become a competitor with Marta, all the way from the West End station to the Buckhead and Lenox stations, and everywhere between. The streetcar could end up taking fares out of Marta's coffers. Is there any strategy to prevent this, because I didn't see it mentioned on the above website?
Nick - the street car will not compete with MARTA at all - more than likely increase MARTA's ridership. After ridden a few streetcars in the nation - I can vouch that they are slow & feature numerous stops. Basically - it would only compete with bus service, which MARTA would likely end or alter the present Peachtree St bus route.

#19 ·
Nick in Atlanta said:
I know a lot of you guys don't care that much about things like office vacancy rates and square foot rental rates, and I can't say I blame you, but I think that next year when 191 Peachtree becomes 75% vacant after the move of King & Spalding to Symphony Tower, the longer that building sits at that or near that vacancy level will be an enourmous indicator of downtown's business health. If it's still half-empty by the end of 2007, the downtown office market will be in bad shape, with or without all the stuff around COP.
I agree with Nick about this, with one caveat. I think that 191 can find tenants, even if downtown's office market isn't growing. The question is, "Can they find tenants without discounting their rates?" 191 is such a quality building that they should command a premium to almost any other building in the market and still attract the tenants.

Frankly, downtown needs a relocation of a major firm from another location. I doubt that an out-of-town company would select downtown right now. However, with some of the buildng momentum, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Buckhead, Midtown or 285 company choose to relocate back in town. The key is housing. As the density of the intown markets increases, especially if executive level housing is constructed, companies will follow. The main reason Buckhead, Vinings, Sandy Springs and Alpharetta have been booming office markets is the abundance of executive level housing in those areas. At the end of the day, most corporate executives want to work near their home. Unfortunately, in Atlanta's case, downtown hasn't been that market. However, the increasing numbers of downtown and midtown housing units is an exciting trend that could begin to result in positive office relocation decisions for the inner city.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.