daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:06 PM   #101
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 252

I missed it this week. But I did play bagatelle, and it was brill. 9 rounds of 12 balls each and me and seb scored EXACTLY the same at the end, 3299 pts! We both howled when we added em up. And then celebrated with a nice cool fanta.

Sponsored Links

Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:43 PM   #102
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy
I missed it this week. But I did play bagatelle, and it was brill. 9 rounds of 12 balls each and me and seb scored EXACTLY the same at the end, 3299 pts! We both howled when we added em up. And then celebrated with a nice cool fanta.
How did the away mission go with young Alexander btw?
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #103
Chorltonred

Likes (Received): 2

From Guardian Online

Manchester passion

The BBC and Google are coming, the best TV dramatists won't leave, and the local press is making big changes. Riazat Butt reports on the north-west media revival

Monday April 24, 2006
The Guardian

In the winter of 1888 hundreds of Oglala Sioux Indians settled in Salford Quays, on the freezing banks of the River Irwell. Many of them were veterans of the battle of Little Big Horn and had come to England after joining Buffalo Bill's Wild West Circus while it was on tour in Europe. During a five-month stay in Salford the circus performed to sell-out audiences who marvelled at warriors and their cowboy counterparts recreating gunslinging scenes from the Wild West and performing daring acts of horsemanship.
More than a century later Salford Quays is once more a battleground, but this time the stakes are higher. Salford Council is locked in a duel with neighbouring Manchester to provide the site for the BBC's expanded presence in the north-west. Two locations remain on the BBC's shortlist - a 200-acre site in Salford Quays and a 20-acre site in Manchester city centre. The corporation's decision is under wraps until June and depends on the level of the licence fee settlement from the government. But all being well, the lucky city will benefit from thousands of extra jobs, and hundreds of millions of pounds in additional revenue and prestige.

Manchester council's chief executive Sir Howard Bernstein says the BBC's final decision will have a "remarkable outcome" for the city in terms of job creation. A move to Manchester will be the "cornerstone" of the city's growth over the next 10 years and key to "unlocking the potential for creating another 100,000 jobs".

The Salford team has not revealed the details of its proposal nor talked about the significance of the relocation. But Felicity Goodey, who is chair of the Central Salford Urban Regeneration Company and intimately involved with the bid, concedes the rewards will be "huge". She says: "We're going to build a media city, the UK's first, and at the core will be the BBC but it won't be an end in itself. The site is 10 times the size of Manchester's and the scale of the development is of national and international significance. Media is the new manufacturing."

Rivalry aside, both councils agree the BBC's relocation would boost the region's reputation as a centre of excellence for media companies. Figures from the Northwest Development Agency show the region's media industry to be worth £3bn to the regional economy - £2bn of this comes from Manchester alone. North West Vision, an agency that supports film and television companies in the region, says that 18 of the 32 production companies in Greater Manchester are based in the city. Alice Morrison, chief executive of North West Vision, says the agency notched up around £50m worth of new business last year. "We've got eight major dramas on the go at any one time. We've seen a 30% increase in production in the first quarter of this year. In the past year, six independent production companies - including Baby Cow and Hat Trick North - have opened a base in Manchester. That's a proper base, not an office and a phone line. It's absolute boom time."

Local companies, she says, are also breaking into new markets and winning new and different commissions. "We love people based here, they have a stake in the region and use local talent. Peripatetic companies, once they've filmed here, come back time and again. We love them too. The biggest writers currently on TV are people who have grown up here or lived here. They've honed their craft to become a real force and having local talent creates its own cluster."

With or without the BBC, there has never been a bigger buzz about Manchester. Google is opening its first regional office there. It is a fillip for the city's cause with the BBC, especially as Google's office will be within walking distance of the council's proposed Media Zone. Despite the merger of Manchester-based Granada with Carlton in London, ITV still employs 1,200 people in the north-west. On a smaller scale, Guardian Media Group has invested in Channel M, a TV channel for Manchester.

Sensing the gathering momentum, Sky TV is hosting a three-day festival to promote its channels with tie-in events including a motor race around Manchester's streets. Sky's managing director of channels and services, Dawn Airey, says: "London is the capital, there's nothing you can do about it and it has a disproportionate amount of influence and talent. But there's a joie de vivre about Manchester and we know it's a great cultural, social and industrial city. There are some fantastic people who have relocated and there are others who have insisted on staying."

One of Manchester's biggest champions is Paul Abbott, responsible for hits such as Shameless and Clocking Off, and one of Britain's most respected dramatists. He says: "I've never been based in London. I've lived in Manchester since I was 21, I'm now 46. Manchester just makes better telly. In practical terms it's easier to get things done and, from a writer's point of view, you're away from the cogs and engines of the industry and that distance gives you perspective.

"I'm not apologetic about being here. People see what you're doing, they like it and you tell them they have to come here, not the other way around. You force it to happen and there's a daisy chain effect. Because we're creating a magnet for people to come and work here there's a real excitement about programme-making."

Abbott, who is about to start shooting the fourth series of Shameless, estimates that his productions have put £100m into Manchester in the past 10 years. "I've just sold three shows that will be made in Manchester." It is these creative forces that are responsible for the atmosphere, he says: "The BBC buzz is artificial because it's about financial benefits and buildings, not ideas. Ideas cost nothing and you're only as good as your last idea."

Andrew Critchley, managing director of Red, probably Manchester's most successful independent production company, explains the advantages of having a regional presence: "Manchester is home. We didn't move from somewhere else to here. Our first two commissions were from Russell [T Davies] and Paul who both live here and were set in the region so it would have been daft to base ourselves anywhere else.

"Cast and crew from the region like working for us, so we benefit from the goodwill of these people. There's loyalty that works both ways because we always try to use people from the region wherever possible. The media industry is a vital part of Manchester's future - the council is very committed to continuing the region's great record in producing and broadcasting."

An integral part of this broadcasting legacy is Granada which, for decades, produced flagship drama, entertainment and factual programmes for ITV. There was speculation that the merger with Carlton would dilute Granada's status in Manchester but Jane Luca, controller of regional affairs, denies this. "We still employ around 1,200 people on site and no jobs have moved down south. A report from Manchester Business School, published last November, shows that ITV Granada brings in £127m to the local economy and that we support an additional 4,500 jobs.

"We are still making drama and entertainment programmes from here, including the new episode of The Royle family and the new series of Cracker. We also made See No Evil: The Moors Murders, to be aired in May. The name of the company is still very much associated with the region and we're not reducing our base here. The BBC move is important and we will all benefit as it would create a vibrant production community."
Chorltonred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #104
Chorltonred

Likes (Received): 2

And also this : Free MEN anyone?

MEN faces strike threat

Stephen Brook, press correspondent
Monday April 24, 2006

Manchester Evening News staff are to be balloted on strike action after they rejected a revised offer from management over disputed evening shifts.
Management at the paper last week made a revised offer of a premium payment to staff working more than a certain number of shifts.

But the National Union of Journalists' MEN chapel rejected the offer, claiming the number of evening shifts was still too high.

The new offer came after conciliation service Acas failed to resolve the dispute over the increased evening shifts, which were introduced after the paper stepped up its morning editions.

The paper is facing the threat of industrial action as it is plans a radical move to distribute 50,000 free copies of the paper in the centre of Manchester, while it remains 35p in the suburbs.

Research carried out by the MEN found that out of 150,000 people who commute to Manchester city centre, only 7,000 purchased the afternoon paper.

"We are still looking at the likelihood of a considerable number of staff, mainly subs, working up to 100 evening shifts a year - that is an horrendous prospect for journalists hired to work daytime shifts on an evening newspaper," said the MEN NUJ mother of chapel, Judy Gordon.

"However, there is still time to work out an acceptable deal before any industrial action could begin."

The union is offering to take the dispute to binding arbitration - but management has not yet indicated if they will accept the offer.

"We are disappointed that all of our proposals to resolve this dispute have been rejected by the MEN NUJ chapel," said the MEN editor, Paul Horrocks.

"However, as always, we remain available to talk if any constructive suggestions are put forward."

Management believe staff will have to work about 80 evening shifts a year, but the NUJ chapel thinks they are more likely to have to work 100 shifts.

Ms Gordon indicated staff wanted only about 50 late shifts a year.

As a gesture of goodwill, staff are working the new rota, with shifts ending at 9pm and 11pm.

In February, the MEN announced 35 redundancies, including 27 journalists - more than 20% of the paper's editorial staff. The paper is published by Guardian Media Group, which owns MediaGuardian.co.uk.

The group's management announced the cuts after commissioning a review conducted by management consultants Collinson Grant. It blamed a slump in advertising revenue for the cuts.
Chorltonred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #105
eccles cake

Likes (Received): 3

Stuff filmed in and around Greater Manchester over the years , we'll have to start with , of course,
coronation street--sherlock holmes--strangers--bullman--the lovers
shameless--albion market--sex,chips and rock'n'roll--medics
steve coogan stuff/paul calf etc--stretford wives--phoenix nights
cracker--prime suspect --top of the pops--clocking off--making out
hetty wainthrop investigates--university challenge--cold feet
mrs merton--queer as folk--having it off--the royle family
dead man weds--early doors--life on mars--always and everyone
ideal--linda green--cutting it--burn it--eleventh hour
tough love--lenny blue--vincent--stars in their eyes/soapstar superstar
fallen hero--blue murder--mastermind--the street--waterloo road
extremely dangerous--cops--where theres muck--city central
red dwarf--hyperdrive--northern lights-- g.b.h--sorted--families
the cuckoo waltz--new street law--bob and rose--stan the man
a question of sport--i love the 70's,80's,90's--dragons den
the wheeltappers and shunters--the heaven and earth show
world in action--
and other big stuff like Brideshead Revisited and Jewel In The Nile
were done by Granada and had the Manchester stamp on them .
Anyways what have I missed off there , there must be stuff that you remember thats not on the list.
eccles cake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #106
eccles cake

Oh yeah , all the kids stuff like Chorton And The Wheelies, Danger Mouse etc by the boys at Cosgrove Hall in Chorlton.
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #107
Potato Man
I miss a hot dog

Likes (Received): 0

Add to that List Longford. A film made by HBO and telling the story of one of the northwest's most esteemed architectural commentators.

Urm sorry, make that a film made by HBO and Granada starring Jim Broadbent. It's about penal reform campaigner Lord Longford and is due to air on Channel 4 later this year.

http://www.channel4sales.com/news/ne...ear=2006&id=34

Lets just hope it proves better than the last film named after a Mancunian SSC member - Sex lifesof the Potato Man.....
Potato Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #108
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 48

Wasn't Pheonix Nights set in Chorley? Chorley FM coming in your ear? Stretching it a bit saying it's Manchester, more Preston than anything. Good list though Eccles Cake
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #109
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 27

Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #110
eccles cake

Rolypoly
Phoenix Nights was mostly filmed in Bolton, but alot of the club scenes were done at
the Folly Lane Rugby League club house on Station Rd , Swinton. Deffo the bit where they had the performing horse inside the club, that was F.L.R.L.C, Swinton.
I.Newy
My list was just t.v stuff , but yeah I've seen that film and its a belter .There have been loads of films done in Manc, remember that there was even a Mancunian Film Company. Have a look here, www.itsahotun.com and also www.cplee.co.uk for some info. Sorry that there not directly linking , but there well worth a look.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #111
eccles cake

Oh now it seems the links work.
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #112
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

ahh ok eccles cake I wasn't aware it was filmed in good old Bolton, always thought it was Chorley.

I'll get my coat.
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #113
kebabmonster

Phoenix Club outside/a lot inside is in the Farnworth/Kearsley area, near Bolton.

The infamous "Pennine Suit" is 100% Folly Lane RLFC, Swinton.

Courtesy of the commentary on the DVD.
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #114
kebabmonster

Films include "Raining Stones" (Rhodes, Middleton) and Taste of Honey (Salford).
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:36 AM   #115
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling
ahh ok eccles cake I wasn't aware it was filmed in good old Bolton, always thought it was Chorley.

I'll get my coat.
Its an easy mistake. Chorley gets mentioned way more than Bolton cos of the fake radio station.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM   #116
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

nice one accy, don't you just love Peter Kay? Funny as ****. Nay funnier!!!
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:58 AM   #117
highriser

Likes (Received): 26

Oh this thread as just reminded me, there was a loads of film crew's filming some shots on Dale St the other day,,,as anyone got any idea's what that was for,,there where 2 girls dressed as policewomen extra's,,
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:00 AM   #118
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

HAS HAS HAS
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:34 AM   #119
Jongeman
van het noorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser
Oh this thread as just reminded me, there was a loads of film crew's filming some shots on Dale St the other day,,,as anyone got any idea's what that was for,,there where 2 girls dressed as policewomen extra's,,
The next series of Life on Mars? Could have been
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM   #120
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

A film about me????
Or about an empty cinema in Stretford?

One of the Bloody Sunday films (cant remember which one - two came out at the same time) was shot in an old estate near Phillips Park to the north of Alan Turing Way. Its all been pulled down now and there is a huge fish warehouse there now!

Hell is a city is an amazing film!

Tags
england, manchester, united kingdom