daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1661
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Someone was asking about this, here's the answer.
o:
Talk VD about not being on ignored, but being ignored.

It was me boy who asked. Personally I would rather they delayed, but got it right than rushed it as the 1.5 m of feminine fun could, but never says.

Roll on 2013, not that I expect TV Manc to be all good, but you never know.

Sponsored Links

Old December 31st, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1662
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 286

More of the same, or a change for the better?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-nor...ss+%28Media%29

Quote:
The Northerner - into 2013
Martin Wainwright

We shall be changed - albeit not in the twinkling of an eye and certainly not at the last trumpet. Welcome to a new Northern Editor and see you later from the old one

Happy New Year to you on my last day as Northern Editor of the Guardian after 17 years in the job. Tomorrow sees the start of invigorating times under my successor Helen Pidd, whose appointment is a welcome re-assertion of our commitment to the north, our home.

The Guardian's loyalty to this has never been in doubt, but there have been times when the demands of everywhere else – which in these digital days means the whole world – have left our resources slim. As a boy I was brought up on Our Island Story and learned the value of putting hats on sticks as Baden Powell was said to have done in besieged Mafeking. It has felt like that at times.

Leaving London.
You'll know Helen from her many Guardian pieces, including reporting from India, Germany and the cycling world. And of course, the north. Renewed energy will build on our base in Manchester's Deansgate, but the Guardian has much more under its belt than that. It will not be until 2098 that its current title of simply The Guardian overtakes the 138 years during which we were known – also all over the world – as the Manchester Guardian. That history accounts in part for our independent-mindedness and the 'outsider' in our nature which is a such a distinctive virtue.

I have seen my role largely as promoting the north in difficult times and against the relentless effects of the metropolitan frame of mind which, even at its best-intentioned, belittles and patronises the regions. I know that I have been a Pollyanna on occasions but we have more than enough Cassandras, especially in the media.

For most of my time, and during my 37 years at the Guardian which will finish at the end of March, my method has been to get as much about the north into the paper as possible. In recent years, that has changed with the move to digital-first and the chance to try new ways of coverage such as the Northerner. I have loved this, as a way of using the resources of the north to describe and discuss the north; more than 200 people have contributed posts in the 22 months since we changed from a weekly email to daily blogging.

The tone of our comment threads has been a particular pleasure. Contributions from the likes of tiojo, Nepthsolem, Yorkshire Cat and many others have encouraged real but friendly debate, the sort which changes minds. Mine has been changed, often. And when we have sailed on stormier seas by piggy-backing on bigger blogs such as Politics, the respect and warmth has begun to spread. We have also topped 310,000 views monthly since mid-summer in spite of the clamour of competing voices on the vast, rich platform of the Guardian's website.

Long may this continue; but it will change. My London colleagues have indulged my twilight years by allowing me to focus much more of my energy on the Northerner than Helen is likely to be able to do. It was not the original intention, but events have led to me editing and launching almost all the posts. I have enjoyed this greatly as an old dog learning new tricks, but it is not sustainable.

Helen will decide the direction from tomorrow, but there are likely to be fewer (and probably better organised) posts but not a closing of the door to the impressive range of those, aged from 14 to over 80, who have contributed. To keep that door as widely open as possible, I'd like to take this chance to encourage all contributors to learn, as I have done, about submitting copy which requires as little further work as possible.

This goes beyond writing to length, cleanly, clearly and grammatically, to the addition of a headline, standfirst paragraph and mini-biography as well as the emailing of photographs or other illustrations and the use of html for links, italics and bold etc. I have learned the latter, which means that anyone can. Alan Sykes brilliantly taught himself using the Preview facility in the comment thread. It is surely the latest stage of empowering people to take part in public debate and civic life, and will stand all who do it in good stead.

I will be here until the end of March to assist with this or any other aspect of the transition in the north and would be happy to give any guidance via email: martin.wainwright@guardian.co.uk or @mswainwright on Twitter. Please contact the Northerner on those too, plus helen.pidd@guardian.co.uk, @helenpidd on Twitter or northerner @guardian.co.uk.

Thanks very much to one and all.
hulmeman2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1663
WatcherZero

Its basically saying its unlikely to get as much time and effort spent on it so I dont see how its much of a change for the better?
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1664
hulmeman2

Manchester's favourite serial bankrupt (Mark Garner, aka ManCon's 'Gordo') is in the shit again.....
Loved it when he made a complete **** of himself on CDWM!
I hope @simonbinns gets the money that the fat asshole (allegedly) owes him.

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/north..._section=54017

Quote:
Garner facing HMRC case over How-Do
14th January 2013
By Chris Barry - Editor, North West

THE publisher of the lifestyle website Manchester Confidential, is again being pursued by HM Revenue and Customs.

Entrepreneur Mark Garner's How-Do Ltd - which he acquired in late 2011 - is facing a winding-up hearing today at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.

How-Do Ltd, is not the first of Mr Garner's enterprises to face scrutiny from the authorities. Several others have been wound-up and placed into liquidation, the most recent being Cpub Ltd in April 2012.

Cpub had previously acquired the business and assets of Manchester Confidential following the liquidation of the site's previous owner, Planet Confidential Ltd, which was placed into a creditors' voluntary liquidation in February 2011. Planet Confidential owed the Revenue a total of £330,000 in PAYE and VAT.

Before Planet Confidential, the site was operated by 2M Media Ltd, which was wound up in Manchester County Court on June 10, 2009.

How-Do Ltd was once the publisher of the North West media website, and merged with Cpub in late 2011 after running into financial difficulty.

How-Do founder Nick Jaspan then left the combined group and the website ceased to operate in May 2012 after an acrimonious row between him and Mr Garner, who is now the sole director of the Quay Street-based company.

A notice of the latest case was posted on the London Gazette on January 2.

As well as HMRC other creditors of How-Do Ltd are understood to include journalist and former employee Simon Binns, who agreed a settlement after an unfair dismissal tribunal in November 2012, but who has yet to be paid.

Mr Garner declined to comment on either matter, but said Manchester Confidential and its sister sites are "trading well" and would not be affected as their IP was held by him separately.

The parent company for Confidential now appears to be a Atruva Ltd, which was incorporated last year and lists Mr Garner's daughter, Georgina Hague as its sole director.

Last edited by hulmeman2; January 14th, 2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1665
macc

Likes (Received): 25

I know Simon posts on here sometimes. I think his work is great. Most of us first noted his work at Crains. He comes across as a knowledgeable and decent fella. It's a shame to see him messed around.

I read ManCon almost daily but Garner doesn't seem to add much positive to content of the site. He must do things on the business side but this lowers my opinion of him further. He sounds like he would be an infuriating bloke to be in a dispute with.

He is also the main culprit for injecting the mates-promoting bias into ManCon, which raises (IMO incorrect) accusations of favouritism in the reviews every now and again. The reviews are impartial but Gordo's arrogant ramblings aren't.

Last edited by macc; January 14th, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Whoa! Offered a bit too much love for Binns, there. Had to tone it down a bit.
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #1666
timo
Weaste Infection

Likes (Received): 26

After unfortunately having dealt with him, I can confirm 'Gordo' is a bellend of the highest order

I too hope Simon gets what he is owed sharpish.
timo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #1667
tellmeastorey

Likes (Received): 11

Thanks for your kind words. Sadly it looks unlikely.

But the world has a way of levelling these things out.
tellmeastorey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1668
flange

Likes (Received): 732

Quote:
Serial entrepreneur behind defunct media website How-Do launches new online magazine for sector

January 14, 2013

The serial entrepreneur behind the now defunct media industry website How-Do today launched a new online magazine for the sector.

Didsbury-based businessman Nick Jaspan said he believed there was an appetite among people in the media community for prolificnorth.co.uk, which will publish stories and features similar to those which were previously published by How-Do.

He said the website is being run by two part-time journalists and a sales person working alongside him.

How-Do suspended publication in May 2012 as a result of what was described as an ‘acrimonious’ dispute with its 2011 merger partner Manchester Confidential.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...ine-for-sector

http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1669
hulmeman2

C4's Countdown commenced broadcast from Meidiacity today, having previously been made by Granada on Quay St. Does this signify a start to the move from Quay St?
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:59 PM   #1670
WingTips

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulmeman2 View Post
C4's Countdown commenced broadcast from Meidiacity today, having previously been made by Granada on Quay St. Does this signify a start to the move from Quay St?
Possibly, as the Studios in the the Studio Block are owned and leased out by Peel and are therefore avaialble for Hire by many production Co`s.
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1671
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Bloke boarded tram I'm on at Cornbrook with itv emblem on his name badge.

Have ITV moved into Salford Quays yet?

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #1672
manc

Likes (Received): 32

They're in the process of moving now. HR/ Accounts arrived late last year. Jeremy Kyle a few weeks back and is now filming in Dock10. Factual and Ents departments move in on Monday.
manc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1673
neil

Likes (Received): 133

YourTV wins Manchester licence
8th February 2013

YOURTV, has been awarded the 12-year local television licence for Manchester, OFCOM has announced.

The successful Manchester bid was chaired by business grandee David McKeith and also features former BBC broadcaster Felicity Goodey on its board.

Your TV plans to broadcast 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is promising a mix of news, culture, entertainment, sport and some user generated material.

The business was founded by former TV producer Jim Manson and Lin Glover, a former regulator with Ofcom's predecessor the Independent Broadcasting Association.

Mr Manson told TheBusinessDesk.com last year that the group had attracted funding from unnamed private and institutional investors.

Rivals for the licence were Canadian broadcaster Channel Zero, which bid under the Metro8 name, Made in Manchester - although this is not the radio producer with the same name led by Ashley Byrne, Salford Quays-based Lets Go Global and the Manchester News Channel.

What Manchester's done today London does tomorrow.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #1674
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
8th February 2013

YOURTV, has been awarded the 12-year local television licence for Manchester, OFCOM has announced.

The successful Manchester bid was chaired by business grandee David McKeith and also features former BBC broadcaster Felicity Goodey on its board.

Your TV plans to broadcast 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is promising a mix of news, culture, entertainment, sport and some user generated material.

The business was founded by former TV producer Jim Manson and Lin Glover, a former regulator with Ofcom's predecessor the Independent Broadcasting Association.

Mr Manson told TheBusinessDesk.com last year that the group had attracted funding from unnamed private and institutional investors.

Rivals for the licence were Canadian broadcaster Channel Zero, which bid under the Metro8 name, Made in Manchester - although this is not the radio producer with the same name led by Ashley Byrne, Salford Quays-based Lets Go Global and the Manchester News Channel.
Neil whats your source for this press release please.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1675
neil

Likes (Received): 133

Thebusinessdesk.com

What Manchester's done today London does tomorrow.
neil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1676
WingTips

Thank-you
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1677
hussla
hussla

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Bloke boarded tram I'm on at Cornbrook with itv emblem on his name badge.

Have ITV moved into Salford Quays yet?
Looks like they've got a few floors In the Orange buildings so far.I Can see the new Itv logo through the windows.
hussla está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1678
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussla View Post
Looks like they've got a few floors In the Orange buildings so far.I Can see the new Itv logo through the windows.
They have occupied several floors for a while now, however the main thrust of the move is still to happen.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #1679
tellmeastorey

Likes (Received): 11

The ITV move officially takes place in March.
tellmeastorey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1680
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
8th February 2013

YOURTV, has been awarded the 12-year local television licence for Manchester
Erm interesting. This will pleased the City Fathers.

Hope they give the languid MEN and BBC Radio Manchester a run for their money.

I note it will akin to Channel M.

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; February 13th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
heatonparkincakes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
england, manchester, united kingdom