daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #1
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

What do you think of the new Supersized McDonald's in Chicago?

If you don't know, in celebration of McDonald's 50th anniversary, McDonald's decided to replace the famous and enormous Rock n Roll McDonald's with an even bigger monstrosity.

Here is a good news article on the celebration and new McDonald's:
http://www.strategiy.com/inews.asp?id=20050416143921

Now, I'm not bashing the entire structure. It has it's moments with some great furniture and spectacular views of the city. But compared to the other designs, it is nothing remarkable.

I found it pretty amazing that McDonald's asked some of Chicago's top architects to design a new McDonald's but then dismissed their ideas and instead opted out for its own inhouse designer's vision.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...ck=1&cset=true

Here were the proposals:
Helmut Jahn:

Helmut Jahn's plan for the River North McDonald's featured a giant pair of golden arches that created a gateway for cars and pedestrians.
The Jahn-designed restaurant would have had whimsical electronic signs attached to its steel-and-glass exterior. As seen in the computerized rendering, the arches would have had a powerful urban presence.

Dan Coffey:

In Dan Coffey's McDonald's design, the restaurant becomes a collage of elements. An elevated ramp leads drive-through customers over a ground-level Ronald McDonald park.

And the best in my opinion, Martin Wolf:

A strikingly modern design for a new McDonald's in River North, by Chicago architect Martin Wolf, was one of three contemporary plans invited, and then rejected, by Oak Brook-based McDonald's earlier this year.

And what does McDonald's come up with?
Past (first McDonald's in Des Plaines, IL):

Present McDonald's:

I understand where McDonald's is coming from with this design, but that does not mean I agree with it. Sure it's a blast from the past and pays homage to their humble beginnings, but there is nothing humble about this building in the first place. Fifty years ago this design was spaceage- it is no longer. Instead of moving on and taking a futuristic approach, McDonald's sticks with the tried and true. I guess for possible redemption, McDonald's has another chance with a 10,000 sq. ft. restaurant near their HQ in Oak Brook, IL.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #2
EdZed

Likes (Received): 0

I cant believe there is such a big demand for a mcdonalds. The actual building designs are nice though, but personally I cant stand mcdonalds food.
EdZed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #3
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Yeah, I agree. I think they are mainly driven by the growing Asian market, where eating at McDonald's is considered a treat and special occasion.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #4
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Good thread.

Edzed - interestingly enough, this McDonald's is one of the highest in gross sales in the world. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that there is a demand.

This McDonald's is located in an ultra-touristy area of Chicago. Hard Rock Cafe is nearby as is the Rainforest Cafe. I think I speak for most Chicagoans when I say that people from the city don't visit these places. I'm sort of embarassed by it, if anything. As for the design of the restaurant, I think it's a bit overindulgent and I don't care for the combination of modernism and neo-traditionalism (i.e., "faux historical").
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Nutterbug

Likes (Received): 3

Chicago ranked near the top as one of the fattest cities in America in the "Supersize Me" movie.
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3624

Very great settle of the Corporate label Identity, "Super Size".

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7
capitan harlock

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug
Chicago ranked near the top as one of the fattest cities in America in the "Supersize Me" movie.

yes, you are right!!!bravo!
capitan harlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #8
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

I just think that it looks really tacky but I guess is better than the average McDonalds.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #9
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

That gynormous Mc Donald's "M" ON Helmut's proposal is DISGUSTING. lol
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #10
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Dan Coffey's design in inspiring. Such a nice fusion of form with a much more modern symbolism and edge to the design. I really like what is peaks of. Modern and fresh with just the right amount of symbolism.

What were McDonalds thinking in choosing the boring and tired retrofuturistic design? It breaks no new ground and as some of you say implies backward thinking.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:38 PM   #11
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

It looks awesome. This is the wave of the future!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #12
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2878

The designs are great!
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #13
potto

Likes (Received): 9094

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
It looks awesome. This is the wave of the future!
A big corporate logo sat in the middle of a car park? No thanks
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #14
potto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Yeah, I agree. I think they are mainly driven by the growing Asian market, where eating at McDonald's is considered a treat and special occasion.
I know wierd isnt it. In this country it is considered embarrassing to eat at Mcdonalds unless

a) you are very pissed, there isnt a kebab place nearby and have desperate emergency hunger pangs at 2am,
b) you are poor and are misguided into thinking that it is money well spent for that feeling of eating something... anything!
c) from a dysfunctional family and have never seen anyone prepare and cook normal food before
d) A naughty businessman hoping no one has seen him, using it as comfort food after his stressful day and before his long commute home
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:45 AM   #15
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1812

Quote:

That is not so true in many Asian countries. I know for sure that McD isn't a big thing here although they are mushrooming here. And usually it is my last choice for a meal. Oh .....and my sister hates McD!

The opening of McD downtown KL are also fuelled by the tourism market where for some very strange reason......lots of tourist love to eat at McD although there are many great food around. Maybe it is because they wouldn't wanna faced with the uncertainty of foreign food and wanted something familiar. I think that is McD's best strategy - to provide familiar food worldwide. And they are also cheap
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #16
musang
abed

Likes (Received): 25

they are not really that cheap here.. about RM15 for value meal.. i had to think many many many times.. funny thing is that they even get their Halal cert from Malaysia.. hmmm
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #17
potto

halal mcdonalds! Lol I didnt know that Allah blessed mechanically removed meat and sinew!
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #18
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Present McDonald's:

I understand where McDonald's is coming from with this design, but that does not mean I agree with it. Sure it's a blast from the past and pays homage to their humble beginnings, but there is nothing humble about this building in the first place. Fifty years ago this design was spaceage- it is no longer. Instead of moving on and taking a futuristic approach, McDonald's sticks with the tried and true. I guess for possible redemption, McDonald's has another chance with a 10,000 sq. ft. restaurant near their HQ in Oak Brook, IL.
Personally i think those retro mcdonalds are nicer than the average fastfood restraunt. Also Mcdonalds is nasty only theyre fries and ice cream are good and the service is shit. But Mcdonalds is succesful cause of all the little kids guzzling thier food and stupid happy meals. I might go there rarely just to get fries or ice cream when i dont have that much money to spend with me but otherwise no.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #19
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Why they don't do a second great arch in St-Louis, it would kick arse...
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #20
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

thats one hot fast food outlet!
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote