daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #21
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

Absolutely beautiful!
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #22
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

I'm speechless...out of this world!!!
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:12 AM   #23
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Hi

Here are some construction photo updates. The whole Akshardham temple complex work is ahead of schedule.

"Old" Temple, located next to Delhi Akshardham Temple Complex:

Temple Complex Buildings Construction:

^ Open air theater

^ Testing fountain in middle of theater

^ Premvati cafeteria

^ Museum halls

Main Temple progress:

^ Massive temple plinth

^ Installation of Amalsaro on the Main Dome of Akshardham

^ Artists, crafstmen, construction workers all work side by side

Exterior details:

^ Elephants and columns

^ Cute

Interior details:

^ Huge entrance doors

^ View of grounds from entrance

^ Inner sanctum

Work is going on 24/7

Starting landscaping:

-Jai
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:34 AM   #24
JC
bankokukara kitayo!

Likes (Received): 0

It is so fantastic... I really like it. How many years do they take to complete?
JC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM   #25
Jai

Hi

A site was chosen in the mid 90s, and groundbreaking was on 8 November, 2000.

The temple will be partially open to the public early next year, but the completion of the entire complex (including schools, museums, etc.) and temple will take till 2007.
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:14 AM   #26
Brett

Likes (Received): 45

Thats a must see site when its finished!
Brett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:56 AM   #27
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

Wow, with a stunning palace and garden at your disposal, any guy would want to become a monk. Although I have never been to India, I would say the living condition at this place is probably better (and cleaner) than most other places in India. Many guys would probably become a monk just for the better quality of life.
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:01 AM   #28
mk

Likes (Received): 1

Absolutely Amazing !!

Jai, Thanks for sharing. As you said, they alwaays try to outdo themseleves, they must be planning something that will dwarf this in size and scale.
mk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM   #29
jd_bond
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
Wow, with a stunning palace and garden at your disposal, any guy would want to become a monk. Although I have never been to India, I would say the living condition at this place is probably better (and cleaner) than most other places in India. Many guys would probably become a monk just for the better quality of life.

I think monks are buddhist priest (correct me if I am wrong)...
jd_bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM   #30
Jai

Phillip,

I don't see how poverty factors into this whole deal. Like any other place of worship in the world, the place is going to be cleaner then, say, the countryside. However, this particular religious tradition, like Jainism, sees building places of worship as an act of worship for God.

One thing thats great about all their temples is that not only is it a temple, but it is also a place of learning, and a source of funding for an ever-growing public charity works projects. What I mean by this latter is, the temples themselves are constructed only with private donations, but the revenue generated by tourists and visitors to the temple funds massive relief projects, free education for the poor, etc. Obviously, they're not charging an entrence fee, but visitors donate money specifically for these causes when they visit. It's astounding just how low the overhead on these temples are, as monks and devotees themselves do upkeep.

The temples also have another goal: revival and sustanance of the ancient art of temple building. An art that is passed down from generation to generation. Something like a three hundred artists from several states are not only employed, but are taught skills that they need to practice their art form. This project alone, not ot mention their many other ones, has literally saved entire artistic traditions that otherwise would have been lost.

They also are centers of learning and culture for the Hindu community in that area, of all sects and creeds, and serve as a community center.

I don't want to get into a theological lecture or anything, but while I guess its possible monks are joining for material benefits, I don't think this is any different a problem than would face any other religious institution in the world. And its not exactly like monks are frolicing in the gardens while courtesans dance and feed grapes in their mouthes.

They do the entire maintinance of the temple, teaching in all the schools, etc. And of course they have their vows of spiritual discipline, celebacy, poverty, etc., While the temple itself is grand, their own living quarters (barracks, really) and lifestyle is quite sparse, especially so compared to Western monks, as is the hindu sanyasin tradition.

I do think your cynicism is misplaced enough to be offensive.

jd_bond,
Monks are found in most religions. The Indian ascetic/monk/sanyasin/fakiri/yogi/sadhu/medicant/etc. tradition is probably the largest, the most varied, and arguably the most asture on the planet. Most Hindu monks do not live in monestaries, but travel the length and bredth of the country, living on alms, sleeping in temples, caves, jungles, practicing yoga and other spiritual disciplines, and teaching the wayward soul. Some, like those in the Shankara, Swaminarayan order, Ramakrishna order, etc. are organized into maths, monestaries, ashrams, hermitages, etc., what have you, which allows them to create magnificant spiritual works like these temples, or the maintinance and upkeep of ancient temples, like the Meenakshi temple in Madurai.

Here's an article on monastic traditions of India, and of monastic practice in the swaminarayan tradition

-Jai
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:55 PM   #31
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

omg, sooooooooooo gorgeous.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:30 PM   #32
fahed
Mr Anti

This will be a masterpiece

Q: How much does the whole development cost?
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:56 PM   #33
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

OMFG! This is going to be one hell of a temple!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM   #34
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

This is OMG !!!! project.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:03 AM   #35
Jai

Some more construction pics

Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:35 AM   #36
auslankan

Has to be one of the wonders of modern times.Just sensational!
auslankan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 01:00 AM   #37
mtb_nz
Wellington user

Likes (Received): 8

totally beautiful. Would love to visit some time... keep the updates coming
mtb_nz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:57 AM   #38
loureed

Likes (Received): 23

I love India!!!

I know I will see this in person one day.
loureed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #39
Jai

Akshardham temple to open gates soon

[ Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:28:57 amTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

NEW DELHI: On the hit list of environmentalists after its first brick was laid four years ago, the sprawling pink sandstone and white marble Akshardham temple complex on the banks of Yamuna will finally throw open its gates to visitors on November 8.

Begun by the Swaminarayan sect in 2001, the temple will be officially inaugurated on November 6. "We have not yet decided on who will be inaugurating it, but the date has been fixed," said a media official.Spread over 30 acres on the river bank, the temple has been the target of endless legal and environmental controversies.

But at the same time, its imposing structure has been arousing curiousity and awe among passers-by. The suspense will be over next month.

"Most of the construction is complete. Only some of the polishing and wood work is still on, which will be over before next month," said Sadhu Vivekjivandas.

The temple is already attracting visitors. Some hotels have also started offering packages for the inauguration.

"Devotees from all over the country, who had fasted and sacrificed for the completion of the temple, are allowed to visit it after a permission from the Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS). This week, we have had devotees from Gujarat and Punjab," he added.

"I have come here for the pooja abhishek ceremony. My family had decided to give up on sweets till the temple is complete. Now, we have come for darshan as the work is complete." said Sujata Shet, whose family has come from Gujarat.

While the authorities refused to give any details on what lies behind the gates — to avoid rush of visitors before completion — they hinted that the campus will be a confluence of the ancient and the modern. It's all about Indian values and traditions, they said.

Here's a trailer of what's in store. An IMAX theatre for showing films on the sect, two exhibition halls and a restaurant modelled on an Ellora cave.

Surpassing its Gandhinagar original, the new temple is more elaborate. It has a sprawling water body and the carvings on the 130-ft-high temple are reminiscent of those in Badrinath, Somnath and Konark.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #40
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

Incredible