daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic » Development News | Includes DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME

Old April 29th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #21
James704

Likes (Received): 0

I heard Ithaca was a hell hole too. Don't get me wrong, can't say anything bad about Cornell.

Btw, I keep hearing good things about Princeton. Must be a great college town.

About Philly, I dunno, crime seems pretty bad. From what I understand, UPenn beefed up it's security big time. I think there's a problem when students are being murdered. This goes Johns Hopkins in Baltimore too. Both schools have bad histories concerning campus security. Now, they are being looked at as models. Too bad people had to get murdered before things were improved.

Geog of Geog Depts Map (US-CAN) c/o UNC--Chapel Hill
Planning Student Resources c/o Florida State Univ

North Carolina: The One & Only

Last edited by James704; April 29th, 2005 at 04:06 AM.
James704 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 29th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #22
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 5

Boston. It is a collegiate mecca. Boston is also the city with the most college rated in the top 10 I believe. Almost no city can compare with the colleges in Boston such as Harvard, Wentworth, BU, BC, MIT, NU, and many more. Boston average about 300,000 students (or so I heard) per year going to college here and the surrounding colleges. Boston contains around 57 colleges. According to Malo's list in "America's Stupidest Cities" thread, Boston is rank number 2 (but I don't think Minneapolis can actually beat Boston) so I believe that Boston is the town with the best colleges.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011

Last edited by DarkFenX; April 29th, 2005 at 04:17 AM.
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #23
James704

^ Nah, man, Boston has 100+ colleges and universities. Freakin' shitload.

Colleges and universities

See also the list of colleges and universities in Massachusetts.

The Boston area is well-known for its colleges and universities.

Boston College was the first institution of higher education to be founded in Boston, though it moved from the city's South End to then-rural Chestnut Hill to escape Boston's rapid urbanization in the late nineteenth century.

Harvard University, the nation's oldest university, was founded in Cambridge, where it maintains its main campus, though the bulk of its current land holdings lie in Boston.

The greater Boston area is home to over 100 colleges. In addition to schools in Boston proper, including Berklee College of Music, the Longy School of Music, Boston Conservatory, the Boston Architectural Center, Boston University, Emerson College, Emmanuel College, Fisher College, the Massachusetts College of Art, the New England Conservatory of Music, Northeastern University, Simmons College, and Suffolk University, surrounding cities host Babson College, Bentley College, Brandeis University, Hellenic College, Lesley University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Merrimack College, Pine Manor College, Regis College, Tufts University and Wellesley College, among others.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston

Old April 29th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #24
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James704
^ Nah, man, Boston has 100+ colleges and universities. Freakin' shitload.

Colleges and universities

See also the list of colleges and universities in Massachusetts.

The Boston area is well-known for its colleges and universities.

Boston College was the first institution of higher education to be founded in Boston, though it moved from the city's South End to then-rural Chestnut Hill to escape Boston's rapid urbanization in the late nineteenth century.

Harvard University, the nation's oldest university, was founded in Cambridge, where it maintains its main campus, though the bulk of its current land holdings lie in Boston.

The greater Boston area is home to over 100 colleges. In addition to schools in Boston proper, including Berklee College of Music, the Longy School of Music, Boston Conservatory, the Boston Architectural Center, Boston University, Emerson College, Emmanuel College, Fisher College, the Massachusetts College of Art, the New England Conservatory of Music, Northeastern University, Simmons College, and Suffolk University, surrounding cities host Babson College, Bentley College, Brandeis University, Hellenic College, Lesley University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Merrimack College, Pine Manor College, Regis College, Tufts University and Wellesley College, among others.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston
Never trust Emporis!!!!!

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #25
James704

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX
Never trust Emporis!!!!!
Shitload nonetheless.

Old April 29th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #26
CiceroClark

Likes (Received): 1

The one thing I don't like about Colgate or Cornell is that they are located in the middle of nowhere. I went to school in the middle of nowhere and couldn't wait to get out. I need to live in an urbanized area above at least 200,000 or so.
CiceroClark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #27
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

Boston overall is a great town for colleges, but I wouldn't consider it a college town, maybe the specific districts or parts of town that are good for the colleges though.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #28
Malo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiceroClark
The one thing I don't like about Colgate or Cornell is that they are located in the middle of nowhere. I went to school in the middle of nowhere and couldn't wait to get out. I need to live in an urbanized area above at least 200,000 or so.
I can certainly understand where you're coming from with regard to your statement, but for my two cents, I absolutely loved Colgate/Hamilton. It also didn't hurt that at the time, Cazenovia College was right down the road, and was an all-girls school (then). Weekends were wild!

Plus, if we really wanted to get away from the rural atmosphere for a bit, we simply drove into Syracuse and partied along Marshall Street. It was the drive home that killed us...lol
Malo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #29
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 877

newark, delaware is a fairly nice town. i'm a little wary of the local government and its power (and sometimes its incompetence too). i don't see people wielding their authority like that even in wilmington. the city has too powerful of a local government in my opinion. i like the government to lay back and handle problems only when necessary. newark it seems like things are done just so they can be done, or so that someone in the local government has a little more influence, or just so everyone knows that they decide what goes on. for instance, the dumbest thing i know that the newark city council did was a couple years ago. they voted on the patriot act. since the patriot act is federal law, it is illegal for a government to ignore it, contradict it, etc. but that didn't stop the newark city council from voting on it. they voted on "whether they liked it or not". the final tally was 5-4, with opposition to the patriot act winning. so their official statement was that the newark city council was against the patriot act. my question is, dud they have to have an official vote just to see who liked it? can't they just express their opinions on their own? why did they have to waste everyone's time (and probably their tax dollars too) with an official vote that does not matter in the first place?

but enough about the government. if you put the government in the back of your mind (which i do until i hear about something stupid), and concentrate on just the city, it is a very nice city. the university of delaware campus is arguably one of the nicest campuses in the country, with beautiful georgian buildings, stately old trees, flowerbeds tucked into corners, etc. the city has a good nightlife, enough to make ud one of the 30 best party schools in the country (ud used to be in the top 5 every year until about 5 years ago, until when the school got a grant to curb drinking; but the partying is bouncing back to normal levels). there are many close-to-run-down houses that students eat up for the school year; however, many new apartment buildings and houses have been built on sites that used to have old factories or houses, and so the city is slowly replacing the crumby houses with nicer ones. lastly, newark has a typical small-town main street, but with a little more traffic and no stores that wouldn't fit in (so you won't see a awn care store on main street, or something like that).
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #30
jaysonjaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
newark, delaware is a fairly nice town. i'm a little wary of the local government and its power (and sometimes its incompetence too). i don't see people wielding their authority like that even in wilmington. the city has too powerful of a local government in my opinion. i like the government to lay back and handle problems only when necessary. newark it seems like things are done just so they can be done, or so that someone in the local government has a little more influence, or just so everyone knows that they decide what goes on. for instance, the dumbest thing i know that the newark city council did was a couple years ago. they voted on the patriot act. since the patriot act is federal law, it is illegal for a government to ignore it, contradict it, etc. but that didn't stop the newark city council from voting on it. they voted on "whether they liked it or not". the final tally was 5-4, with opposition to the patriot act winning. so their official statement was that the newark city council was against the patriot act. my question is, dud they have to have an official vote just to see who liked it? can't they just express their opinions on their own? why did they have to waste everyone's time (and probably their tax dollars too) with an official vote that does not matter in the first place?
It seems like all of Delaware is heading in that direction. I plan on moving back to the Newark area once I'm done with grad school here, but I have absolutely no plans to move back to Delaware.
My latest gripe about Newark is that they just got red light cameras and they had road signs up saying "Red light Cameras Coming Soon!!!" as if we were excited about it

I'm planning on moving to Cecil county maryland which gives you all the benefits of that area with none of the harsh authoritarianism.
jaysonjaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #31
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonjaz
It seems like all of Delaware is heading in that direction. I plan on moving back to the Newark area once I'm done with grad school here, but I have absolutely no plans to move back to Delaware.
My latest gripe about Newark is that they just got red light cameras and they had road signs up saying "Red light Cameras Coming Soon!!!" as if we were excited about it

I'm planning on moving to Cecil county maryland which gives you all the benefits of that area with none of the harsh authoritarianism.
the city of newark is alright, but it just doesn't fit in when the state has a laizze-faire policy, and lets things run their course. i'm used to the county cops not doing a thing in the suburbs, and barely making their presence known. same for the city of wilmington. the cops don't patrol north wilmington, like maybe near ps middle school, too much because a place like that isn't that bad. and i-95 is virtually untouched by state troopers. i'm more used to the policy of "we know what we can and can't do, so leave us alone". the city of newark just needs to back off a little.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #32
Molo

Too many farms in DE for me. Great schools on campus, but nothing outside. Boston has many schools, but I agree not to include big cities as college towns even if they may be. And the hippies in Ithaca make it a prime location for some of the wildest parties North of Cans-&-poon NM.
Molo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #33
steel

Cambridge Mass has to top the list. It has MIT and Harvard and a few more that I can't think of! WOW!!!! plus it has the "T" Red Line subway, Harvard Square, The Charles River, stores, restaurants, book stores, movie theaters and it is right next to Boston. What more could you ask for???
steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #34
jackooboy

I must also cast my vote for Cambridge MA/Boston.
jackooboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM   #35
Shawn

Likes (Received): 19

It's pretty hard to top Cambridge and Boston in this category.
Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #36
tanklv

Likes (Received): 1

I'm just a "little" late to this thread.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Syracuse!!!

Syracuse was THE place to go to from Cornell (Ithaca) and Colgate, among others!

It's a really great "small" "big" city!!!
tanklv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #37
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

Likes (Received): 304

For its size, Ithaca definitely gets my vote with Cornell University and Ithaca College.

Buffalo is a really good one, too, for its size as well, with Canisius College, SUNY Buffalo (UB), Buffalo State College, Medaille College, D'Youville College, and Erie Community College.

Last edited by Jaybird; March 16th, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #38
Kapedani
BANNED

Nobody mentions Rochester NY? It beats Ithaca, Syracuse, Buffalo and probably a lot of others on your list...by far. Personally I prefer it even better than Cambridge...but thats because I'm biased.
Kapedani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #39
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 82

I'm surprised Worcester, MA didn't make the list.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #40
veryprotourism
registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapedani View Post
Nobody mentions Rochester NY? It beats Ithaca, Syracuse, Buffalo and probably a lot of others on your list...by far. Personally I prefer it even better than Cambridge...but thats because I'm biased.

are you kidding?
veryprotourism no está en línea   Reply With Quote