daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #341
fish

Likes (Received):

I see Carlos was a bit distracted by that blonde on the building.

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #342
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

LOL I WAS !!!!!

AS OF TODAY WEDNESDAY MARCH 8, 2006, NYC

DANGEROUS CURVES !!!!! MMMHUMM STRAIGHT EDGES !!!

the tower portion is getting an erection now!! finally

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #343
Marco Polo

Thanks Carlos - highly appreciated as always (greetings from Nairobi).
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #344
TowersNYC
Carlos V

RISE BABY RISE !!!! Finally as I predicted the tower steel is erected!!!

Street level...no more hole

future retail space....

I Love NY
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #345
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

Great this diamond is rising! Thanks again TowersNYC.
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #346
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

Great update dude!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #347
fish

Likes (Received):

Thank god!

I've been working for a full month with no days off, so I haven't been to Manhattan since New Year's.

I am pleased to know that Carlos is on the job!
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #348
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 762

it will rise fast.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #349
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

The tower rises as the podium is worked upon.

Love the shot with the New Yorkers milling about.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #350
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/20/nyregion/20conde.html
The View From There: Beautiful and Doomed

By JOSEPH BERGER
Published: March 20, 2006

Marilynn K. Yee/The New York Times

Workers in the offices of The New Yorker in the Condé Nast Building have enjoyed their view east, but won't for much longer; a 54-story tower is rising next door.

Day by dispiriting day, senior writers and editors at The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and other Condé Nast magazines and top lawyers at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom are watching one of the perks of their Manhattan careers getting slowly gobbled up — the view.

Like most New Yorkers, they live with the knowledge that a view in Manhattan is a perishable commodity, but for them the time left is achingly short.

A 54-story tower for the Bank of America is rising floor by inexorable floor next to their daytime home — the 48-story Condé Nast Building, at 42nd Street and Broadway. Right now the bank structure is just a monkey-bars of steel beams, a half-dozen floors at best. But over the next year or two, employees on the eastern side of Condé Nast will find themselves staring right into the face of a glass and aluminum office building and its honeycomb of worker bees.

"I'm on the 21st floor, and I have a beautiful view of Bryant Park and the library and a little corner of the Chrysler Building and the Pan Am Building, now the MetLife, and I get tons of sun," said Jeffrey Toobin, a staff writer for The New Yorker. "Soon it's going to be a view of some law firm associate doing his work. My view will be entirely swallowed."

Bruce Handy, a senior articles editor at Vanity Fair, who grew up among the sweeping vistas of California, had been delighted with the cinemascopic views out of his 22nd-floor office. "There'll be a little less uplift for the soul," he lamented.

The loss of views is an archetypal New York story. Except for residents lucky enough to be on Central Park or the Hudson or East Rivers, every Manhattanite understands that sunlight and views are fleeting on a restless island whose anatomy is forever shifting.

As it was going up in the late 1990's, the Condé Nast building also broke its share of hearts. With a real estate market that barely seems to pause for breath, a taller building — usually residential these days — is always threatening to rise somewhere and eclipse someone's views.

But the fact that it is an old story is no consolation to those who suffer another narrowing in an already constricted island. Mark Singer, a colleague of Mr. Toobin's at The New Yorker, knows this in spades. New construction is rising not only at his workplace, but also near his home on the Upper East Side.

"We all live in various states of denials, so until the view is gone, you don't quite appreciate what's going to be missing," he said.

That perspective was echoed by David Friend, the editor of creative development at Vanity Fair, whose office is on the 22nd floor. "We're so busy that we take the view for granted sometimes, and it's like the old Joni Mitchell song, 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone,' " he said.

The developer Douglas Durst, who completed Condé Nast seven years ago and expects to complete the Bank of America building in 2008, told the tenants that above the seventh floor the bank tower would be set back 200 feet, greater than the distance across Avenue of the Americas or 42nd Street. Moreover, he said, the tower curves as it rises, allowing more sunlight to penetrate.

"We angled the building so that light will get through," he said. "And they're not going to have views directly east, but they'll still have views from the building."

Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York, pointed out that Manhattan is an island of skyscrapers partly because people want phenomenal views. But he said the loss of views caused by a single building was balanced by the thousands of jobs created for office occupants and by the taxes those employees would pay.

"Someone will have lost something, but on the other hand the city has gained," he said.

Right now, top lawyers at Skadden, Arps on the upper floors have views that embrace everything from the Triborough Bridge to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and that bespeak the power of a firm with 1,750 lawyers. While the views of Condé Nast employees may not be as breathtaking, they have the urban charm of elegant buildings framing a small park mixed in with a touch of street razzle-dazzle, charm any writer can appreciate.

The loss of views is not without its entertainments. East-facing tenants have been watching a mesmerizing, sometimes heart-stopping show: three construction cranes performing a ballet of swiveling, swaying, soaring grappling hooks.

"The hook of the crane comes so close to my window that I'm convinced it's going to break through and drag me to my death," said Mr. Toobin, who is best known for his calm and measured analyses of the nation's biggest legal contests. "It's so close you could read an index card placed on the hooks."

Perri Dorset, director of public relations for The New Yorker, said she has had a front-row seat on a New York extravaganza usually shielded from passers-by by high fences.

"I'm living in this concrete jungle and you see buildings being built all the time, but it was pretty amazing to see how a foundation is put together," she said.

She and Mr. Toobin also know that this is a temporary treat that will disappear with the poignant eclipse of their precious views. Yet they greet the problem with a New Yorker's fatalism.

"It's going to be unbelievably depressing to lose our views and light, but in New York it comes with the territory," Ms. Dorset said. "I've been lucky to have the view I've had."

Mr. Toobin said, "It's unseemly to complain about this kind of thing because it's how Manhattan life works.

"I don't have a conventionally beautiful view," he went on. "I don't overlook water or famous buildings. But it's a perfect New York cityscape of buildings of different sizes with plenty of sky, and I'll be sorry to see it go."
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM   #351
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Whao!! really busy site.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:11 AM   #352
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Thats why it cost more to rent at the top, because of the veiws, some companys like the bottem for easy acess.
TroyBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:07 PM   #353
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

Very nice arcitcle Talb! I'll repost in on the dutch forums to start a discussion about metropolitan lifestyle. The way the people talk about this happening is a very mature metropolitan view of the reality!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:16 PM   #354
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

It's a reasonable article that TalB posted. The reason I say "reasonable" is because New York City, similar to my city Sydney, is that both cities have a thicket of scrapers, and workers and residents alike should expect to and do lose their views.

This is the nature of such types of cities.

Anyway, looking foward to more construction pics of One Bryant Park aka BoA.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #355
TowersNYC
Carlos V

March 24, 2006

And the Lord said....RISE MOTHER RISE !!!!!!! "

I Love NY
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #356
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

That last pic is mint.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #357
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

As of today march 28th, 06.

SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #358
ggmm

Likes (Received): 2

Will it be the tallest skyscraper in Midtown (apart from Chrysler Bldg) ?
ggmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:47 PM   #359
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse
The tower rises as the podium is worked upon.

Love the shot with the New Yorkers milling about.
Yes...and the tall blonde just to the left of the Tishman sign looks hot from what I can tell.

eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #360
Mosaic
BANGKOK

good updates, Thanks.