daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #281
Daytwahs Own
Visit Detroit

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JivecitySTL
btw, the two cities that had the biggest influx of southern whites during the 20th Century were Chicago and Detroit. I honestly think the racial divisions in those cities are the worst in the Midwest.
Milwaukee

Sponsored Links

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #282
CG5
prickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
Lol, yeah, you're right, I don't understand what you're talking about. Please explain to me what Milwaukee has to get people out at night that Minneapolis doesn't have. Theatre? Comedy Clubs? What?

I'm outta here, gotta go have some fun tonight.

Jesus Christ, you're dense. You assume quite a bit...I'm sure that Minneapolis has many of the same things that Milwaukee has in the way of Theater, Comedy Clubs, etc (though I'd be willing to bet that our summer festivals can top anything in the Twin Cities.) Hell, you probably also have concerts in the parks, and gallery nights, and la-de-da whatever. I'm saying that in my experience, downtown Minne is less active at night than Milwaukee. AND, you may have a district that outstrips Milwaukee's downtown, but we aren't talking about other districts. We're talking about downtowns. And I find Milwaukee's to be more interesting and active than Minneapolis'.
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #283
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Likes (Received): 2

If you were to look at pics of downtown KC, it might look impressive, but rarely do photographers show all of the vacant buildings, surface parking lots, and relatively dead streetlife. Here is a pic depicting the real downtown Kansas City.

Old May 9th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #284
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
Jesus Christ, you're dense. You assume quite a bit...I'm sure that Minneapolis has many of the same things that Milwaukee has in the way of Theater, Comedy Clubs, etc
This is what you just wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
And what's with people thinking that the only thing that constitutes night life is a party? Clubs and parties attract a certain demographic, yes. But there are plenty of other ways to get people walking around at night, enjoying a downtown area. But then, being that you're from Minneapolis, I guess I can't expect you to understand that
There are plenty of other ways besides partying to get people downtown, but since I'm from Minneapolis, I wouldn't understand that huh? I asked you what does downtown Milwaukee have that downtown Minneapolis doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5
AND, you may have a district that outstrips Milwaukee's downtown, but we aren't talking about other districts. We're talking about downtowns.
The warehouse district, which is what I've been talking about the whole time, is part of downtown Minneapolis.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #285
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 6

GUYS: GROW THE FUCK UP AND STOP ARGUING ABOUT TRIVIAL BULLSHIT
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #286
Toggie
tä-gE

I agree, this is getting ridiculous.
Toggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #287
courtland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKansan
If you were to look at pics of downtown KC, it might look impressive, but rarely do photographers show all of the vacant buildings, surface parking lots, and relatively dead streetlife. Here is a pic depicting the real downtown Kansas City.

YIKES!
courtland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #288
JivecitySTL
The Jive is Alive.

^That isn't really fair because you could find countless pics exactly like that for just about every city in the United States.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #289
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77
GUYS: GROW THE FUCK UP AND STOP ARGUING ABOUT TRIVIAL BULLSHIT
OK! WILL DO!! AS SOON AS YOU STOP SCREAMING (ALL CAPS!!!!!!) OBSCENITIES!!!!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #290
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 6

I had to emphasize something. You people were just going back and forth, back and forth, I'm surprised you didn't start fighting about whose dad is stronger.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #291
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77
I had to emphasize something. You people were just going back and forth, back and forth, I'm surprised you didn't start fighting about whose dad is stronger.
No, the next thing that would've been brought up is how many superbowls the Packers have won.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #292
MSPtoMKE
Glory to the Hypnotoad

Ok, lord knows why i am entering this debate so late in the game, but i will just offer one little example to show that most of you in this pissing match don't know what the hell you are talking about! (Haha! ) Anyways, when i first arrived in Milwaukee for college (in 2001, before my Forum days) my first impression of Downtown was that it was, well, dead. Ya know, tumbleweeds. I probably based some of that observation on the sad state that the Grand Ave Mall(*ahem* Block E anyone?) was in at the time, specifically the Plankinton Arcade portion. Now, certainly, my opinion of Downtown Milwaukee is very different, i love it. But i would suggest to certain unnamed forumers that perhaps it takes more than 3 or 0 visits (respectively) to judge how active a downtown is. Because when i go Downtown Milwaukee now, there are times when it is hopping, and times when it is not. Now for the part where a certain forumer calls bullsh*t, Sorry!
MSPtoMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #293
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPtoMKE
Ok, lord knows why i am entering this debate so late in the game, but i will just offer one little example to show that most of you in this pissing match don't know what the hell you are talking about! (Haha! ) Anyways, when i first arrived in Milwaukee for college (in 2001, before my Forum days) my first impression of Downtown was that it was, well, dead. Ya know, tumbleweeds. I probably based some of that observation on the sad state that the Grand Ave Mall(*ahem* Block E anyone?) was in at the time, specifically the Plankinton Arcade portion. Now, certainly, my opinion of Downtown Milwaukee is very different, i love it. But i would suggest to certain unnamed forumers that perhaps it takes more than 3 or 0 visits (respectively) to judge how active a downtown is. Because when i go Downtown Milwaukee now, there are times when it is hopping, and times when it is not. Now for the part where a certain forumer calls bullsh*t, Sorry!
If you really would've read the whole debate, you'd see that I was mainly focusing on CG5's observation of downtown Minneapolis (which includes the warehouse district) as being as "hoppin' as a nursing home on a Sunday night" and "tumbleweeds".

I admitted to never being to Milwaukee, but that does not mean that I can't dispute what CG5 says about Minneapolis, because I know Minneapolis very well? Please forgive me when I question someone who says Minneapolis is tumbleweeds and as hoppin as a nursing home on a Sunday night. Perhaps that person was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or that person has motives besides presenting an honest opinion.

I'm not going to call your post BS. You obviously have experience with both cities, however, you never gave us your opinion as far as comparing the two.

When was the last time you were in each downtown? How much experience with each downtown do you have? Don't come in here and blast us and then cop out without giving your opinion. What is your opinion?
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #294
MSPtoMKE
Glory to the Hypnotoad

First of all, the 'blast' that i gave both of you was followed by one of these: . That generally denotes sarcasm.

Second of all, i didn't give my opinion because i think it is silly that this thread as gone on for so long based cheifly on which downtown is better, which is kind of pointless, because they are very different downtowns, so some people are going to favor one over the other, as a matter of their opinion. Really, the whole point of my post was to point out that I had similar feelings about Milwaukee that CG5 had about Minneapolis at first. Yes, CG5 said the downtown was dead when he was there. You also replied about that around 29 times as if someone had spit in your mother's face. So he didn't like your city that much, big deal? I don't agree with his characterization of my hometown (well, actually i consider myself more of a St. Paulite, but oh well), but i don't get bent out of shape about it.

When was I in each downtown last? Milwaukee: Last weekend. Minneapolis, almost 2 years ago when i was last in Minnesota (My family doesn't live there anymore). But i don't see how that is relevant because i never made any claims about the city. I didn't give my opinion because this thread's flames don't need any more fanning.

And who said it was you that i was refering to as the person who would call BS? that was an inside joke, because i sort of defended Minneapolis in that other thread and CG5 called BS (even though i didn't really understand his point in that post)

*throws up hands*
MSPtoMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #295
CG5
prickly

*throws in towel*

If there's one thing I've learned over the years here, it's that when other forumers start getting annoyed, we just have to agree to disagree 'lest we get reputations as trolls. Anti-cheesehead, the "being that you're from Minneapolis" comment was a dig, but it was in heated jest. As I said, I'm sure that Minne has some great stuff, but in my experience, downtown was nothing to dance around about. I'll tell you what: the next time I'm headed up to the Twin Cities, I'll give you a PM and get a proper tour, and you come down here some weekend this summer and MSPtoMKE and I will show you what Milwaukee's all about...and we'll all cross our fingers that we both hit "on" weekends.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:06 AM   #296
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Exclamation Toledo Story #5

Please rank these cities: Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Louisville, and Pittsburgh (major metros over 1 million).

#1 Chicago (No competition there)
#2 Cleveland (Sad that the city's vibrant area is downtown and the rest of the city is distressed)
#3 Pittsburgh (See Cleveland's comment)
#4 St. Louis (See Cleveland's comment)
#5 Indianapolis (See Cleveland's comment)
#6 Kansas City (See Cleveland's comment)
#10 Detroit, Grand Rapids, Louisville & Cincinnati--Lord No!

Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:21 AM   #297
Taxman

From the Business Journal

Here is a Minneapolis based developer's opinion on redevelopment in some mid-west cities.

Sherman, Dominium compete to land St. Louis area project

http://twincities.bizjournals.com/tw...21/story7.html

Quote:
"Sherman Associates took a look at this project at the urging of its banker, Minneapolis-based U.S. Bancorp., Gorecki said.

"We're urban developers and over the course of the last 10 years, we've really made our mark in Minneapolis and St. Paul and Duluth and Des Moines, [Iowa]," he said.

"Kansas City, Milwaukee and St. Louis are ripe for us to jump into," he said. "They're about three to six years behind where Minneapolis and St. Paul are in terms of its urban redevelopment cycle."
Taxman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:05 PM   #298
ohpenn

Likes (Received): 7

I know being in Western PA and only 2 or so hours from Cleveland (and similar in many aspects to Cleveland), it's easy to associate Pittsburgh with some Great Lake peers, but as someone who grew up there I can tell you that being in PA, we always considered ourselved Northeasterners - no disrespect to our Western neighbors, but I only mean to clarify that for the purposes of this thread (and simliar comparision threads of exclusively Midwestern cities)

Largely because many of us travel east, have family east, go east if we aren't going to Pgh area colleges or Penn St, etc. But again, being not terribly far from Columbus or Cleveland creates a kind of subregion in its own way and all of the cities are somewhat similar in size.

Sorry to interrupt, now back to the regular programming...
ohpenn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #299
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo
Please rank these cities: Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Saint Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Louisville, and Pittsburgh (major metros over 1 million).

[COLOR=DarkGreen]#1 Chicago (No competition there)
#2 Cleveland (Sad that the city's vibrant area is downtown and the rest of the city is distressed)
#6 Kansas City (See Cleveland's comment)

Actually I can tell you have never visited KC. KC's downtown is the least vibrant area of it's urban core.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #300
mke31

Smile

My favorite downtown area that nobody mentioned is West Allis, WI. I mean come on! Just go up Greenfield AVE. No grand highrises but, a nice little dense old retail area with alot of potenial.
mke31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote