daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #41
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

This project will have a huge potential to put Jakarta on the world map and improve tourism
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #42
Alvin

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Y2k.2^
just wondering,is this tower located in the city?
no, its not located in the current main CBD area but this area is being developed as the next CBD, telecommunications and tourism center. There are also plans to build south east asia's largest auto mall (cars etc). The site used to be an airport and so its got world-class infrastructure such as fibre-optics, high capacity electricity/water pumps, broadband etc.
Alvin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:57 AM   #43
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Wow! Taller than CN Tower. And I always thought it was impossible. Nice to hear (to read, he he)...
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #44
ncon
Dangerous User

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
This project will have a huge potential to put Jakarta on the world map and improve tourism
yup yup
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #45
pon

Likes (Received): 1728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin

I believe this is the winning design that was supposed to be the Jakarta Tower, by Jahn. Unfortunately it was always going to be too expensive/ financially not feasible and so they opted to build its present design instead.
I like this design than the previous one.
pon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:00 AM   #46
trulyasia
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Jakarta Tower, Indonesia

Completion: 2009
Height: 558.0m
Observation Deck: 395.5 m
Value of project: US$400 million

How does it stack up?

Left to right: KL Tower, Shanghai Pearl Oriental Tower, Toronto's CN Tower and Jakarta Tower

some pics of construction site - taken August 2004

more information: www.jakarta-tower.com

or check out this PDF document: http://www.jakarta-tower.com/images/marketing.pdf
taller than KL tower
trulyasia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM   #47
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

CN tower is the most elegant.............
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:33 PM   #48
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriolus
CN Tower is 553.3m isn't it so it wont take to many hockey sticks at all for them to beat 558m & claim back the title of worlds tallest tower

When completed Jakarta Tower will also be the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere, eclipsing the Omega Base Mast at Gippsland (Victoria, Australia) at 427m.
It will also be the ugliest in the Southern Hemisphere. Why oh why didn't they come up with a better design - that expensive proposal that was rejected was so much better. This tower would have to be one of the world's most repulsive. Such a disparity of shapes and styles - no cohesion in any of the design.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM   #49
Zorobabel
Awesomeness

Likes (Received): 2

I personally like it. Certainly not as ugly and dull as KL Tower, and it seems more attractive to me than the Pearl Orient Tower. The latter, however, has always been a atrocious and horrid design in my eyes.
Zorobabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:29 PM   #50
ncon
Dangerous User

Likes (Received): 537

i like it but i think pearl tower is nicer

yeah i think some design is lacking on the tower but still i like it
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM   #51
Ace
Captain

Likes (Received): 71

Very proud to see this Beauty rise in my Home Town.
When It 'll be finished. I'll sure gonna visit Jakarta.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM   #52
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

Fabulous tower! But perhaps, it's design too complicated in comparison to similar towers...
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM   #53
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Jakarta Tower, Indonesia

Completion: 2009
Height: 558.0m
Observation Deck: 395.5 m
Value of project: US$400 million

How does it stack up?

Left to right: KL Tower, Shanghai Pearl Oriental Tower, Toronto's CN Tower and Jakarta Tower
i thought that the CN-tower higher was, because this tower is 558 metres and the CN-tower is 720 metres

or is the jakarta-tower higher because an high spire or something?
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:06 PM   #54
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2844

^720m i think is a made up value.. no building has ever come close to this figure (burj dubai will) the tallest thing ever erected on this planet was a communications mast at 650m and that fell down.

CN tower is just over 553m to the very tip of its spire/antenna. the heighest viewing bit is at 446m, but the main observation area only at 346m.

in summary jakarta tower will be bigger for the simple reason that you made up the height for CN tower
nezzybaby está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:56 AM   #55
Obelixx

Likes (Received): 82

It will not be the tallest structure in the Southern Hemisphere, if Solar Chimney at Mildura will be built!
Otherwise, why did they not built a tower with a longer spire in Jakarta? This tower will not be taller than Ostankino-Tower in Moscow, which is since 2003 579 metres high!
I would have built a tower in design similiar to Gerbrandy Tower, only larger: e.g. a 400 metre high concrete tower with a 600 metre high guyed mast on the top!
Obelixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:47 AM   #56
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
??? Indonesia is full of great tourist attractions!!! Who will go to a city just see one single tower???
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:16 AM   #57
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

it looks to me though that the space deck (i think thats what its called) is higher than the obs area on the Jakarta tower.. correct me if Im wrong. but the height it has over the CN is to the tip of the antenna.

Burj Dubai will be by far the tallest, but Im a little disappointed with the Burj even after hearing that the public obs deck is only at 124th floor. With that said, will the public obs deck on the burj dubai be any higher than this jakarta tower, or even the cn towers upper deck?? Only time will tell, but this will be very interesting to see!!

As for this Jakarta tower, I think this is one of the best looking ones Ive seen to date.. I think the CN is the shit (though a little outdated), but this new one looks soo crazy good, and futuristic!! also the fact that it looks like there is actually a building in the base of it too, thats awesome.. This one, and the Torre tower that is being done in Mexico will be my favorites.. Ill really be able to judge though when I visit them; one of these days Ill make it over to Canada, Im just afraid that Ill end up wanting to stay there for good based on the things I hear about that place from my friends!!
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:59 AM   #58
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello1974
??? Indonesia is full of great tourist attractions!!! Who will go to a city just see one single tower???
as it is the WTB, look at dubai.they expect that in the follow years many people come to dubai to see the burj dubai (in the years after in finished).

think about the good years of the twin towers
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM   #59
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

I congratulate the Indonesians on this mighty building, it's great to see them powering ahead with such a large and grand project - I am bitterly disappointed in the final design they have chosen however.

I am gobsmacked that so many of you like it. It is an example of something that could be done so much better with the level of excellence found in some of our artists, engineers, architects and designers today.

It breaks almost every principle of good design. It it simply a hotpotch of differeing styles and shapes, none of which work in harmony to create an enduring and cohesive form. I have said it in earlier threads - this design (created by the guy that did OPT?), has simply borrowed key elements of his earlier design and lumped them together with this newer design. Where OPT was a success, this one is however a failure. OPT has a flow and a extremely high-tech design slant with a very powerful allusion to technology through the "atomic structure look", with good used of this symbolic shape and style, although contrived, it still works exceptionally well - mostly due to its extraneous and shocking style. This new one is not shocking, just plain strange looking - it reminds me of a 5 year old stacking toilet and glad wrap rolls together to form a tower.

The design is far too fussy, combines far too many differing elements and does so in a manner that suggest a 'tacked-on' design appearance. The observation pod looks as though it was an afterthought and the design would have looked better without it. The design is also too evocative of a person standing which adds to the extreme tackiness. It's far from futuristic and more likely to date that most towers, it will date even worse than the space needle has.

Those who slag on Menara Tower as boring and ugly might want to take a closer looks at the detailing and interiors, where islamic design and principles have been carefully considered.

BTW this is not a dig at our friends in Jakarta, but rather an expression of my disappointment that something better did not eventuate.

Last edited by Avatar; May 23rd, 2005 at 01:04 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:40 PM   #60
Alvin

Likes (Received): 42

a bit old fashioned, yes. tacky, maybe. but ugly....not really, comparing it to Shanghai OPT! Never was a big fan of that one. But I have to say the CN Tower arguably has a very timeless design.
I think this tower will look a lot nicer once completed and seen in real life, rather than renderings. it'll be a nice new landmark for the sprawling city.
Alvin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
jakarta