SkyscraperCity Forum banner

African-American population percentages

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Tampa813 
#1 · (Edited)
Black and Hispanic population distribution in U.S.

I thought this was interesting; what do you think?

See less See more
#5 ·
from what i've heard from people who've lived up near there, "racism" is worse in the north, in effect, because they don't have to deal with it as much. thus, you get racist attitudes that never get a reality check.

-

#7 ·
The Hispanic count probably won't change the look of the maps too much. As we all know, Hispanics are both black and white. While these folks make up the greatest percentage of immigrants to the US each year, thanks to intermarriage, people tend to drop the moniker once there are enough generations in the country (usually three) Certainly the Hispanic population will continue to grow but historically, immigrants tend to concentrate in areas once they reach a sizeable population. So that means while Hispanics are a growing segment of the population, the graph itself probably won't look too much different next time around.

Incidentally, the black population of America actually makes up a slightly smaller percentage of the US population than it did in 1990. Mostly this has to do with economics and their inclusion in mainstream US society (as the standard of living has risen the patterns usually associated with the middle class (i.e. white America) have taken effect. One of these effects is a decline in birth rates that has historically been seen when the levels of education and wealth rise sufficiently) The other reason is because of intermarriage which has created a new and growing segment of the population that isn't currently recognized for it's significance.

#9 ·
i really believe a more current map would reveal more counties in the darker shade of pink for Hispanics. For instance, NC's Latino population was quite small in 1990. Since then it has grown significantly faster than other groupings of people, affectively increasing Hispanic population percentages across the state. I think this trend has been pretty common across many areas of the country.

#10 ·
New Orleans has a high percentage of African Americans. Unfortunately, many are at the poverty level and the resurgence of the City with renovation is causing them to be pushed into different areas. It's a major political issue, but, money always wins and poverty loses. Some elected African American politicians have attempted to impede progress in their areas for the vote, but, it only seems to delay the inevitable, in the short run. Sadly, I'm afraid they think affluent whites won't vote for them and they will lose their positions. Sad, but, true... Older urban cities are changing and turning into the most affluent areas of the metro area, these days...

#12 ·
Sean in New Orleans said:
New Orleans has a high percentage of African Americans. Unfortunately, many are at the poverty level and the resurgence of the City with renovation is causing them to be pushed into different areas. It's a major political issue, but, money always wins and poverty loses. Some elected African American politicians have attempted to impede progress in their areas for the vote, but, it only seems to delay the inevitable, in the short run. Sadly, I'm afraid they think affluent whites won't vote for them and they will lose their positions. Sad, but, true... Older urban cities are changing and turning into the most affluent areas of the metro area, these days...
Ah, I see New Orleans has joined the club. This is happening all over America. :down:

#15 ·
texasboy said:
the hispanic situation in the south is sad aas far as those maps. living in la, houston and in miami, you start to recognize how beautiful the spanish culture really is.
Remember, those maps are 15 years old. Most southern cities of any size nowadays have hispanic stores, hispanic newspapers, hispanic radio, hispanic clubs, you name it. Hispanics are a visible, everyday presence in the lives of most southerners--in cities at least, and in many small towns as well.

#17 ·
louisianacharm said:
seems like texas is split down the middle, also i would've thought charlotte and nashville wouldve had a higher black pop. i thought charlotte was around 40%
I believe metropolitan Nashville is less than 20% black, one of the lowest percentages in the South, and that Charlotte is about 20%.

Most blacks in Tennessee are concentrated in the western third of the state. At 43%, Memphis has the highest % of blacks of any metro over 1 million in the US. New Orleans metro is at 37%.

#20 ·
What I can't figure out is why if black individuals are called African Americans, why aren't white people called European Americans? I get confused with this kind of stuff, alot. And then you have Spanish people who are also European Americans?! Go figure...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.