daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

MIAMI:Empire TOWER 1200ft/365m (real project)

well today plans were announced for empire towers,posted by renner and bobdreamz at the miami forum
Posted on Thu, May. 05, 2005
DOWNTOWN MIAMI
Plans for world's tallest condo tower unveiled

Miami's new landmark? A developer is proposing to build the world's tallest condo tower -- 1,200 feet and 110 stories high -- on Biscayne Boulevard.
BY MATTHEW HAGGMAN
[email protected]

The South Florida building boom may be reaching new heights, with a developer proposing what could be the world's tallest condominium in downtown Miami.

Leon Cohen is preparing to submit plans with the city of Miami to build a condo tower and apartment-hotel tower that would each rise 1,200 feet along Biscayne Boulevard.

If built, both 110-story skyscrapers would be the tallest in Florida, and the condo tower would rank as the tallest residential high-rise in the world, Cohen said.

The 21st Century Tower in Dubai, 883 feet tall, is currently the world's tallest residential building, according to Germany-based Emporis, which tracks high-rise construction. Florida's tallest high-rise is the 789-foot Four Seasons Hotel & Tower on Brickell Avenue in Miami.

But Cohen, who grew up in Paris and moved to Miami Beach in 2000, faces severe hurdles in getting approvals to build so high. The Federal Aviation Administration has limited the height of new buildings along Biscayne Boulevard so as not to interfere with planes flying into Miami International Airport.

Called Empire World Towers, Cohen's development would rise on an L-shaped, roughly two-acre parcel at 330 Biscayne Blvd. The two towers, projected to include 1,000 condo units and 500 apartment-hotel units, would wrap around the Holiday Inn hotel at the corner of Biscayne Boulevard and Northeast Fourth Street.

MIAMI = NEW YORK

''Miami is what New York was in 1945,'' Cohen said Wednesday, who shrugged off any concerns about too many new condos being built in downtown Miami. ``Biscayne Boulevard will become Fifth Avenue.''

On Monday, the developer formally purchased the property from Allen Greenwald for $31.7 million, he said. Demonstrating how Miami's prices have raced upward amid the region's ongoing condo boom, Greenwald purchased the site in April 2004 for $16.5 million.

Edie Laquer of Laquer Corporate Realty in Miami, who called the project ''innovative,'' brokered the sale.

AIR NAVIGATION

FAA public affairs manager Kathleen Bergen, who works out of the agency's Southeast region office in Atlanta, said the heights of all buildings are considered on a case-by-case basis. FAA staffers perform a computer analysis studying the longitude and latitude of a structure to determine if a building is a hazard to air navigation. It is not uncommon, she said, to negotiate with developers over height, markings and lighting.

''Miami is a very busy place for us for airspace studies,'' Bergen said. ``That is much taller than what has been proposed. But we would take a look at any proposal that came in.''

Developer Pedro Martin, who plans to build high-rise condo towers nearby at 600 and 900 Biscayne Blvd., said his building heights were limited to 649 feet.

''Would they go to 1,200? I have no idea,'' Martin said, who added that projects like Cohen's, which are located closer to downtown Miami, may be allowed to rise higher.

Cohen insists he can win approvals for the two towering structures -- and expressed total confidence he can build at least 900 feet high.

''I would not be talking about this if I didn't think we could do it,'' he said.

Cohen, whose company is Maclee Development, said this would be his biggest project. He completed a partially built, 52-story hotel in New York, the Flatotel Building. He's now constructing a six-story condo hotel, the Empire Ocean Residence, at the site of the former Charles Hotel at 1475 Collins Ave. in South Beach.

The developer hired Alexandria, Va.-based Aviation Management Associates to conduct a study on the project. In the report, Aviation Management concluded Empire World Towers would create some problems for aviation but that those issues could be solved.

BUILDING CHALLENGES

Meanwhile, the building creates significant engineering challenges. Cohen, for instance, said the building will be the tallest concrete structure in the world. ``This is due to the hurricane weather in South Florida.''

Still, some are skeptical.

''Why so high?'' said real estate analyst Michael Cannon, who also questioned if condo buyers would want to live so high. ``I hope they do a good wind test because you have some major atmospheric pressure on a building that high.''

[/QUOTE]
renderings are a bit dark,but expect some better ones soon
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Mr Man

Likes (Received): 0

Just saw this!
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #3
Mr Man

This is f---ing awesome! Hope it gets built.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #4
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

i really hope it happens,but i'm not sure
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Old May 5th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Mr Man

I do to. I know there have been a few world's tallest proposals for Miami but this has been the only one which I think will materialize, even with the FAA problems.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #6
Mr Man

The first one reminds me a little of Trump World and Mies Van der Rohe. The second one compliments it.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #7
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

actually it reminds me of sears tower without setbacks and westin peachtree
actually the faa in my opinon isn't the biggest problem since these buildings will be a couple of blocks away from the unlimited hieght zone.but they're are others factors such as i've never heard of this developer before,condo market is suppose to go down the drain,110stories is alot, and the amount of concrete they want to use on this buildings will be alot.

Old May 5th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #8
Mr Man

"1,000 condo units and 500 apartment-hotel units"

C'mon Mad Hatter, it's tall but that's not too much. To put in prespective, Jacksonville builds 1000 single family homes every day (or something like that). Although it may be tall, the number of units can be sold in a market as hot as Miami.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #9
IsaganiZenze
...geologist...

I thought there is one that is taller than this, which is proposed in Dubai, 23 MARINA or something... It states that it is a 90 F residential and that it's 389m tall......well let me know if I am wrong....here's the link....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...5&page=1&pp=20
IsaganiZenze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #10
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

yea but this project is going to be going on sale around the same time as ICON brickell1000units,riverfront 3000 units,midtown miami 2500units,and biscayne bay 5000units.
yea they'll probably sale like hot cakes if there aren't any hurricanes this summer,but if hurricanes come a knocking we might have a problem.

Old May 5th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #11
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

The towers are simple but they look nice! I hope it gets built without them shrinking it. This is gonna take Miami's skyline to a whole new level!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #12
Mr Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter!!
yea but this project is going to be going on sale around the same time as ICON brickell1000units,riverfront 3000 units,midtown miami 2500units,and biscayne bay 5000units.
yea they'll probably sale like hot cakes if there aren't any hurricanes this summer,but if hurricanes come a knocking we might have a problem.
I agree. Let the market decide.
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #13
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Design it's not vey special, but the height is awesome! So go ahead with it!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #14
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

I liked that fake Miami project more.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #15
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

I doubt the towers will be much over the 900ft cited in the article. Maybe 1000 at best.

Such a shame too, because the market could definitely support these IMO.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #16
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

cool project

how serious is this project? currently i see this just as a proposal

it will never be the world's tallest though
we have a 90f, 380m and a approved 111f (unknown height) tower here in dubai

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Dubai-Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #17
Vlad the Great

Likes (Received): 1

Alright!

Do we have a year for completion or no?
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #18
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Ads run, but tower is short on approvals
A Miami-based development company has touted plans to build the tallest residential tower south of New York City on the onetime site of railroad magnate Henry Flagler's Royal Palm Hotel.

Ads are running that pitch sales for a 74-story, 650-unit Met 3 - the second residential condominium planned for MDM Development Group's Metropolitan Miami development spread across three downtown city blocks near the mouth of the Miami River.

But when city staff saw the ad, they contacted the developer.

The developer did get permission for a 70-plus story building in April 2004. But two months later, MDM requested permission to make the overall project heights shorter, which canceled out the earlier approval.

The project is located in the city's central business district, which has no height restrictions, said Luciana Lamardo-González, special projects coordinator for the planning department.

But because of the last round of revisions, MDM must go through the process again, reapplying for changes, and appearing before city boards, to build Met 3 at that height.

If approved at 866 feet, Met 3 would pass Millennium Partners' 789-foot Four Seasons Hotel and Tower on Brickell Avenue for bragging rights of tallest residential building in the Southeast. At that height, Met 3 would also rank as the world's 61st-tallest building, according to real estate database site Emporis.com.

Clearance is also required from the Federal Aviation Administration. A spokeswoman for the project said the developers are in the process of getting approval from the FAA.

A special variance from Miami-Dade County also may be required. Heights in parts of the downtown area are restricted to 650 feet because of aircraft overhead.

Jose A. Ramos, chief of aviation planning, said his office has not seen plans for the building.

City documents peg the total cost of the Metropolitan Miami project at $1 billion, with an estimated $4.8 million in taxes generated to the city annually. About 1,500 residential units would be built.

- Susan Stabley
bizjournals.com
*-----------------------------------------------------------------
this issue of height restrictions has come up many times,as seen in this article met3 which is only a couple of blocks southat 866 and then four blocks north paramount park is 750ft meaning that 1000ft isn't that much of a difference

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #19
Mr Man

The WTB will have to be renamed WTBOD

WTBOD: World's Tallest Building (Outside of Dubai)

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #20
Jasonhouse
Senior Button Pusher

Likes (Received): 2462

I prefer WTEVB

World's Tallest Economically Viable Building.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote