daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #1
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

Likes (Received): 0

[CL] Sri Lanka | road infrastructure • expressways

Colombo-Katunayake Expressway Project - 25.2 km

The construction of an expressway from Colombo to Katunayke is a long felt need to provide easy transport between the Bandaranaike International Airport and the capital of the country. During the last two decades several alternative routes were tried out before finalizing the current trace through Peliyagoda, Marbole and Muthurajawela marshes, which has minimum inconvenience to the public and reduce enormous land acquisition costs by avoiding densely populated areas. The Colombo end of the expressway will be connected to the existing New Kelani Bridge whilst Katunayke end will be connected to the approach road to the Airport.

The proposed 25.2 km long expressway will have a four-lane dual carriageway (of width 25.4 m) facility to cater to a design speed of 110 km/hr from 8th-25th km, and to a design speed of 80 km/hr from 0 to 8th km section. The expressway has been provided with two interchanges at the two ends and at Peliyagoda and Ja-Ela to provide entries and exits for the expressway. The proposed Outer Circular Highway (OCH) will be connected to the CKE through the interchange proposed at Kerawalapitiya on the 9th km.

The five interchanges will provide the facilities for the vehicles to enter the expressway and to leave the expressway as stated below.

The New Kelani Bridge (NKB) interchange will provide the facility of connecting the traffic from Colombo - Kandy Road (A1), Peliyagoda - Puttalam Road (A3), and NKB to enter the CKE.

The Peliyagoda interchange will provide the facility to enter the traffic from A1 and A3 routes to the expressway and for the traffic on the expressway to enter A1 and A3.

The Kerawalapitiya interchange will provide the facility to enter the traffic from proposed Outer Circular Highway(OCH) to the expressway and for the traffic on the expressway to enter the OCH.

At the Ja-Ela interchange the A3 route and the Tudalla - Pamunugama - Talahena - Negombo roads are connected to the interchange.

At the Katunayake interchange the CKE is connected to the A3 and the access road to the airport.

serendib no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #2
Azazel
----

I feel that making it a toll road really misses the point. Such a road is a lifeline, not a luxury - it should be free, and that would be beneficial to the city.

I never knew that Colombo was situated in such an interesting topography, btw! thanks for that!
Azazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #3
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Likes (Received): 1657

Doeas this expressway covers defacto state EELAM ??!!!
Anniyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #4
TallBox

Likes (Received): 422

No. If Eelam was a defacto state it'd be up to a government in Jaffna to create a highway in that territory - not a Colombo parliament.

I hope that a Federal government set up highways over the country - but really, for the first highway, the best route is from the country's busiest airport to the capital city.

Quote:
I feel that making it a toll road really misses the point. Such a road is a lifeline, not a luxury - it should be free, and that would be beneficial to the city.
I agree.
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM   #5
adamybob
Master of Disguise

that is so sad that you have a toll booth on a 25km road, thats virtualy no distance, hard to believe its even deserving of a project status on here.
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:59 PM   #6
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

true .. but its new for sri lanka .. though it does have superb infrasturctural network road system compared with other contries in the region .. it does not really match the road networks you see in devoloped countries .. also remeber that sri lanka is a small country the length from the southmost corner to the northmost corner is 400 odd km's ..
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM   #7
TallBox

i wouldn't call sri lanka's road network 'superb' :S. it's very good in colombo around independence square and fort etc, but a mile away, it's pretty crap. oh, except for nahrenpita road towards rajagiriya.

even driving in colombo 15 is a nightmare - not only the congestion but the ditches too.

i was watching the footage of uzbekistan on the news a few days ago, where all these rioters were protesting in the streets in a remote town - i commented to my dad how developed and in good condition their roads were.

i agree that toll roads are a necessity for sri lanka, but, given this is the first one, there is no other way they could find the funds for it.
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM   #8
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

well the base line now runs from nugegoda to the kelaniya bridge ....so tht highway runs throughout colombo.. u can get from kirulopone to kelaniya bridge in 20 mins max..
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:20 PM   #9
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

tht highway will be connceted to this one which is to be built ... so when tht is completed from katunayake to kirulopone there will be a highway .. should be good once finished ...
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:23 PM   #10
TallBox

will the highway be open to trishaws/bajajs'/ottos/whatever you call them? i dont think it should, it'd only slow down traffic.
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM   #11
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

the WA SILVA mawatha if you know .. is also now hooked up with the baseline .. and the duplication road now runs through st peters and connects to the marine drive .. which again runs through half of colombo .. so if you really look at it .. almost 4 parallely go throghout colombo .. starting with galle road , duplication , marine drive and the base line ..
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM   #12
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun
will the highway be open to trishaws/bajajs'/ottos/whatever you call them? i dont think it should, it'd only slow down traffic.
it shouldnt .but i dont know wht the govt. would do ... . but since theres a toll .. maybe they won't use it anyway ...
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:26 PM   #13
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

and i heard since october 2004 they hv started to finish the marine drive to extend it up to panadura .. where the south higway would run to matara .. i would think the highway upto matara would take some time .. but the one upto panadura shouldn't ..
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM   #14
pon

Likes (Received): 1728

Well, I think this is worth saying the expressway. 25KM is not a short distance also.
The huge metropolis in world has about 30 KM for its diameter. And if the expressway run across from one side of the city to another side and help people avoid a congesstion in the city center, it is an expressway and should have toll plaza!!
Also, the expressway totally have no needs to be a luxury one. If its function is an express way of driving then it is the expressway.
Just my opinion...
pon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM   #15
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

This is the highway which would connect from panadura....

Design review and construction supervision of 60 km single carriageway, two lane, access controlled highway with a new 6 km road link to Galle. Major multi span reinforced/pre stressed concrete river crossings and 15 reinforced concrete single span bridge type under passes, 32 large span multi plate corrugated steel structures / reinforced concrete portal frame structures, 50 single lane under pass structures of reinforced soil / corrugated metal arch / reinforced concrete box structures, 250 drainage culverts, road side drains, earth retaining structures, rest areas, earth works comprising excavation of about 3 million cu.m of earth, 2.5 million cu.m of rock, asphalt concrete pavement, road furniture, traffic control devices, road markings, landscaping, street lighting at interchanges, emergency provisions, fencing and safety barriers.
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:32 PM   #16
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas

this would be added i assume to the one which already exsists .... which again is 2 lane ..
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:23 PM   #17
Azazel
----

Quote:
The huge metropolis in world has about 30 KM for its diameter
I think you're wrong here...
Azazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:29 PM   #18
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2879

Nice !
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:16 PM   #19
pon

Likes (Received): 1728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel
I think you're wrong here...
Or may be 50km.
As I know Tokyo, the almost largest metropolis area in world the diameter of Tokyo+Yokohama+Chiba+Saitama itself is about 50-60KM.
But in term of an average capital city, 30KM is already big enough to have a toll expressway.
pon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:13 AM   #20
serendib
Elephas Maximus Maximas