SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Port Credit

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Transportfan 
#1 · (Edited)
Port Credit is located in the Toronto area, on the shore of Lake Ontario at the mouth of the Credit River. It used to be separate town, but it amalgamated with several other towns in 1974 to form Mississauga, which I already posted pics of here on SSP recently in separate thread.

#4 ·
thanks Doady, good pics of a nice part of Mississauga.

The city should focus more development there.... it's about the only place in Mississauga (other than Streetsville I guess) that has a nice solid urban form to build from.

When will they ever develop that massive brownfield on the lakeshore? Thats prime real estate, that is.

#5 ·
^actually, they are. The first 3 pics are of new developments, and opposite it, where greys is, they are planning on I believe 3 high rises. Port Credit has become trendy and the house prices have gone up considerably over the last 5 years. However, the area still isn't as nice as downtwon oakville, which they tried to immitate. They really need to get rid of that strip mall opposite elmwoods, where the old DMV use to be. I saw last time that they are reonovating it, they should just knock it down. The parking totally disrupts the continuity of lakeshore.

#7 ·
I think MCC/valleys area is suitable due to the original developments back when the area surronding SQ1 was farmland.

The port credit area is an established neighbourhood, I ain't a Nimby but I wouldn't support further densification of the area, except for midrises around lakeshore and HWY10. but the location is very suitable with Clarkson GO right there.

#9 ·
Great pics doady

this is definately my fav retail strip. I just wish they add more trees, and park benches, and maybe some nice streetlights, that would make this little strip the nicest in Mississauga. Kinda like the small strip near st lawerence market. Shockingly, the retail spaces are very small. I walked by one of the shops, which is a yoga sorta studio, and with only 4 people, they took up the entire store.

#11 ·
oceanmdx said:
Great pics. That "crazy grass" you mentioned doesn't look so crazy to me, it looks recently sodded.
They made the grass wavy instead of flat which I thought was really odd. Yeah, my comments were stupid. I vowed a long time ago to be more serious cuz I was never ever serious before and I said many stupid things. But I was in such a good mood and I forgot about that, and so my threads here and at SSP got very little response so far. Or maybe its because of the photos.

#12 ·
Anyways thanks for the comments everyone.

People say Port Credit should have been downtown Mississauga, but I disagree. Port Credit has some problems that MCC doesn't, like NIMBYs and and lack of arterial roads leading in and out of the area due to really bad planning. That said, one should write off Port Credit since it doesn't exactly feel like a small town anyways, unlike Streetsville, thanks to the high-rises and the fact that the area is really busy. All the development at MCC doesn't mean that Port Credit won't get alot of development too. On the contrary, Port Credit seems to have many new developments and there is a proposal for several high-rise condos at the intersection of Hwy 10 and Lakeshore, which will no doubt have a huge effect on the area.

#13 ·
Thank You.
As a once Torontonian I never went there, of course.
I still had a harm time bemeiving there was coporeal life west of HighPark.
Kidding aside, I wish I had toured the immediate Toronto area more when I lived there.
Thats why its always good to play tourist in your own town. I never even went to FortYork but only lived 2 km from it.
Anyway any pics from Steetsville???

#14 ·
ssiguy2 said:
Thank You.
As a once Torontonian I never went there, of course.
I still had a harm time bemeiving there was coporeal life west of HighPark.
Kidding aside, I wish I had toured the immediate Toronto area more when I lived there.
Thats why its always good to play tourist in your own town. I never even went to FortYork but only lived 2 km from it.
Anyway any pics from Steetsville???
Streetsville isn't too exciting... it is small than Port Credit, and feel like small town but I guess I will take pics of it eventually since I live about 30 minute walk from it, but after I do some Toronto pics first. Those will have to wait though since my camera filters are ruined, and I have to buy replacements, which is just as well since I caught a cold taking these pics, so I don't feel like going out now. Port Credit was quite chilly that night, so my hands were frozen at the end, which I didn't realize until I was struggling to tear a bus ticket from the sheet of tickets. Even after that I had a hard time putting the ticket in the fare box and the bus driver was staring at me, lol.

#16 ·
Doady....fantastic pics of Port Credit. My Mississauga wish list includes more streetscapes in the Miss. downtown core similar to Port Credit. I wish it were more pedestrian friendly. Heres hoping the massive Amacon development in downtown will help create a "downtown" feel.

#18 ·
Roch5220 said:
wouldn't it be great if they extended the downtowner streetcar from long branch to Port Credit go, and then connect it up hwy 10 to MCC.
Actually, the long branch streetcar use to go to Port Credit GO untill 1935 when they basically dug up all of lakeshore and made it a 2 lane each way rode. The TTC then ran a bus along lakeshore called the PC express and it went into PC GO. The funny thing is that there are a few TTC stops that you can see along lakeshore and in the PC GO station area.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/8007.shtml <== this site has pics of the remaining stops and some info about the Port Credit Ghost Bus.

#20 ·
andrewluimes@rogers said:
The TTC doesn't run streetcars along "highways."

You brought this really old thread back just for that?

People need to get over this notion that all major roads in Mississauga are six lanes wide, because they aren't. Like most arterials in Mississauga, Lakeshore is only 4 lanes wide, and is well-suited for regular streetcar service.

#21 ·
Actually, that's not what I meant at all. I said "highways" because the nomenclenture of referring to an urban street by it's highway number and then envisioning TTC streetcars running along it is something I just can't get over because it sounds so laughable.

As well, many old threads have content in them that ppl may want to discuss again, but have forgotten about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.