daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #21
Alex Pox
Alvin-Alexander Chocobo

Likes (Received): 2

Personally I prefer the Japanese style, which gives a feeling of purity and peace.(I'm Chinese)
I would also prefer the Tang style architecture to those built only hundreds of years ago(including the forbidden city), same reason as above.

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #22
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #23
howelee

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester
amazing,when was this picture taken ? where was Chairman Mao's portrait on the Tiananmen?
howelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #24
Chati-Kampuchea

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigonese
Anyway I find Japanese architecture to be more serene, tranquil, majestic and gives you a sense of calm and inner peace.
I find both Chinese and Japanese architecture to be very elegant,Unlike Vietnamese ancient architecture was just a duplicated of Chinese ancient architecture.

What is real vietnamese architectures? when traveling to central Vietnam was just a bunch of Cham architectures. Then traveling to the South was just a bunch of Cambodian architectures. Like traveling into Thailand and laos you will find everywhere is just an images of Cambodian cultures.
Chati-Kampuchea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #25
Chati-Kampuchea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
Very nice architecture to go along with the soft nature on the background.
Chati-Kampuchea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #26
Alex Pox
Alvin-Alexander Chocobo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chati-Kampuchea
I find both Chinese and Japanese architecture to be very elegant,Unlike Vietnamese ancient architecture was just a duplicated of Chinese ancient architecture.

What is real vietnamese architectures? when traveling to central Vietnam was just a bunch of Cham architectures. Then traveling to the South was just a bunch of Cambodian architectures. Like traveling into Thailand and laos you will find everywhere is just an images of Cambodian cultures.
Actually I found Viet architectures very similar to those Southern Chinese temples in Guangdong/Canton and Fujian/Hokkien or even Taiwan. Especially the roof decorations....
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #27
vkameleon

Quote:

Vietnamese architectures are similar to Southern Chinese architecture which is usually the Chu style. It's definitely not "duplicated" because there are handful of difference, just as there are differences between Korean architecture and Northern Chinese architecture. Travelling to the Central you'll see cham and to the South there are some Cambodian architectures because it was in different nations before Vietnamese people conquered it.
vkameleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #28
cloudthegreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pox
Personally I prefer the Japanese style, which gives a feeling of purity and peace.(I'm Chinese)
I would also prefer the Tang style architecture to those built only hundreds of years ago(including the forbidden city), same reason as above.
Japanese stlye does strongly contain the purity and peace qualities you mention. In fact I find that these qualities prevail in traditional Japanese architecture.

Although a part of traditional Chinese architecture does emphasize the purity and peace quality as well, many more traditional Chinese archietures have a more outgoing, grandier qualities in them, especially those in northern China. So you might often find that even a relatively small peice of Chinese building can in fact look very grand when viewed with the right background, usually with the sky and mountain. This perhaps is related to the Chinese belief that human and nature are essentially just different pieces of the same puzzle, and the Chinese view that the whole world under the sky is ruled by their emperor. Therefore, you will not find any inner peace or something like that in architectures like the forbidden city. Instead, you will often find the style splendid and imposing.

Personally I like imposing style better. Traditional Japanese architectures are beautifuly no doubt, but seem to me lacking that kind of majesticness I like.
cloudthegreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #29
dcb11
Blue Devil

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudthegreat
Therefore, you will not find any inner peace or something like that in architectures like the forbidden city. Instead, you will often find the style splendid and imposing.
I agree, but I think you could definitely "inner peace" in many Chinese temples. Japanese domestic architecture may be more peaceful, but Chinese temples were the prototype for the peaceful, natural Buddhist temple.

The best I've been to is Lingyin Temple in Hangzhou, although its mostly reconstructed. It's a Chan Temple, so it's something like an ancestor to the Japanese Zen temples.

MoreorLess, the pagodas you posted are in Yunnan Province, right?
dcb11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #30
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb11
MoreorLess, the pagodas you posted are in Yunnan Province, right?
Yeah in Dali, built in the 9th century although that area of China was a separate kingdom at the time if I remember my lonely planet correctly.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:19 AM   #31
dcb11
Blue Devil

Yeah, that's what I thought. Dali was part of a Bai-speaking kingdom (also called Dali).

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #32
Saigonese
BANNED

Quote:

Perhaps you haven't been to Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An and various other central-northern places to see real architecture?

Don't make a fool out of yourself by saying things that you have got no clue about.
Saigonese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #33
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

In China, different dynasties, different dialect groups, different geological regions have their own style.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #34
Gravitas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigonese
Do you have a problem with my opinion? Can't stand people giving honest thoughts and comparisons. Geez typical Chinese arrogance.
You should quit the stereotypes. Everyone I know in the US see Vietnamese in America as superficial and fake.
Gravitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #35
frankful

nice, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
a lot of things in china go in pairs. a set of 3 pagodas is unique but great.
frankful no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #36
frankful

Where did you find this picture of Tian'anmen without that portrait of Mao Zedong? I want to see more pictures (even b&w ones) that show the forbidden city complex complete with the front gate, the Tian'anmen, but without that portrait of China's first communist ruler.
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #37
frankful

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankful
a lot of things in china go in pairs. a set of 3 pagodas is unique but great.
come to think about it- could it be that the set of 3 pagodas is symbolic of the 3 buddha figures ususally enshrined in chinese buddhist temples with the center one representing shakyamuni?
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #38
dcb11
Blue Devil

Unlikely, frankful. Pagodas do not represent specific Buddhist figures, but rather enshrine relics, which almost always are associated with Sakyamuni. At first there was always one pagoda on a central axis, then a plan with two pagodas (but off the central axis) developed. This plan is simply a development of that. You would have to do some more research to find out what relic or possibly scripture each pagoda contains here.

Unfortunately, we don't see too many pagodas being built today, and usually there is only one per temple, due to China's oppressive "One Pagoda" policy .

As for the Forbidden City pic, it's definitely a PRC-era picture. Note the modern buildings just inside the gates to either side, as well as the slogons on the gate. The picture of Mao is periodically taken down for cleaning or replacement. This photo was probably taken during one of those times.
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #39
koyer

Likes (Received): 5

There're some pictures about Tang Dyansty

koyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #40
koyer

Likes (Received): 5

koyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote