SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Navi Mumbai - Projects and Development thread

434K views 759 replies 168 participants last post by  v952010 
#1 ·
I guess Navi Mumbai has been neglected somewhat!, so here is a thread for it!

to start out :- report on the new Navi Mumbai international airport

Airport

Enhancement in aviation facilities in Mumbai is absolutely essential for keeping the leadership of Maharashtra in attracting Foreign Direct Investment thereby creating a place of pride for itself and add to the prosperity of its people. Therefore a second airport in the Mumbai Region has become imperative, as the existing airport at Mumbai, is fast reaching saturation level. To meet the growing demand of air travel CIDCO is soon going to develop a new airport.

The location of the proposed airport at Navi Mumbai has been considered on several parameters. Prominent among these is the fact that Navi Mumbai is expected to absorb the future growth in population, business and commercial activity of the region. The availability of physical and commercial activity of the region. The availability of physical and social infrastructure coupled with environmental friendly size with least resettlement and rehabilitation makes the Navi Mumbai airport project technically and financially viable.

The airport would be one of world's few '' greenfield '' international state-of-art airport offering worldclass facilities to passengers cargo, aircrafts and airlines.

The site of airport is located in an ara of 950 hectares accommodating two parallel runways for simultaneous and segregated parallel operation with provision of full length taxi ways on either side of the runways. The airfield has been designed to accommodate the new large aircrafts compatible to aerodrome code 4-E.

Navi Mumbai International Airport will support the rapidly growing air travel needs of Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It is expected to absorb annually 4.5 million passengers in its first operational year 2007, doubling to 8.2 million by 2010 to 13.7 million by 2020 and 30 million by 2030.

The Navi Mumbai Airport is proposed to be developed through public-private participation. For rapid, successful implementation of this major, vitally needed project, a Special Economic Zone, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust, Thane-Belapur and Taloja industrial area and the huge catchment area ranging from Pune to South Mumbai-would assure a steady growth rate in traffic at the new airport, thus assuring steady revenues to the investors. In addition the project opens-up state vast interland rich in agriculture, floriculture, high-tech high value industries to world market making airport to act as focal point for emergency of a trans-shipment centre in asian region.

The mission of SPC would also be entitled to special benefits/incentives currently available on infrastructure development projects. The SPC mission would be to build and operate airport that will become exemplary worldwide based on top quality services, high safety standards and above all commitment to customer satisfaction.

At present CIDCO's proposal for second International Airport , Navi Mumbai is awaiting clearance from Ministry of Civil Aviation, Govt. of India.

See less See more
#2 ·
Project Cost (in millions) Rs. Cost (in millions)US$
Domestic Airport 17,150 490
International Exhibition Centre 3,000 86
Sagar Sangam Water Transport Terminal 2,500 71
International Convention Centre 11,000 314
Turbhe Railway Station cum Commercial Complex
2,670 76
Kharghar Railway Station cum Commercial Complex
2,180 62
Commercial Supermarket 1,800 51
Developers' Scheme Ulwe 12,100 346
Technology Park Dronagiri 1,200 34
Amusement Park Dapoli 1,000 29
Golf Course and Country Club 1,100 31
Seawoods Housing Phase II 3,000 86

#5 ·
Bombay Boy said:
whats the status on the airport. how likely really is it that it will come up in the next 5 years or so
The last time i saw the construction site was way back in Jan, when I was coming back from Goa. The construction is going on in full swing. I guess it should be MOSTLY done within 6 years. From the site i can say this much though - it will be a very massive airport once completed!. I have searched for renders,but could not find any, sadly

#6 ·
contsruction has already started? thats great news, i didnt even know that. which road did you take, where is it located exactly? anywhere on the way to the bombay-pune expressway? or is it on the old bombay-goa highway?

if indeed contsruction is on it is extremely surprising i havent seen it mentioned anywhere. and who is building it? please not the pwd

#7 ·
I dont know the road the bus took, but i bet it was the old highway, because we passed through the area where the SIEMENS office building is. We also passed through Thane.
I doubt that the PWD would be give such an important project! :). I am surprised just like you are!. Even the Navi Mumbai website does not mention that the construction has begun. It was in a very preliminary stage however. They were flattening the land, with many other heavy earth moving equipment busy digging things up. It was quite hectic from the looks of it. I am leaving for Goa tomorrow. Will give updates when i will reach there.

#8 ·
goa? you lucky bastard have fun ;)

if you could get pics of the airport it would be great. or even an update like who is constructing it or if there are any boards with any names. also some info on the goa highway would be appreciated, plan to drive down there with a few friends, so is the road any good? last time i took a bus (2000) it was horrible, been taking only trains since then

#9 ·
Well, there IS a board that clearly says "Navi Mumbai International airport", so i guess all the speculation about whether it is bieng constructed or not should safely be put aside :). About photos,I do not have a camara of my own (nor a mobile phone with one). so i will not be able to take any photos. Will get more info on the highway ASAP. just arrived here BTW:)

#10 ·
The Navi Mumbai airport has not been approved. No 'construction' is underway. The maximum that has happened till now is land acquisition in anticipation of approval and construction of a compound wall (I am not sure this has happened, but there was a plan).

There is a problem with respect to the runway alignment for this airport before any design can be frozen. The flight funnel is directly over BARC in Trombay. Besides the obvious security concerns, there is also an issue of safety - plane crashes are more common in the flight path and due to its proximity, there is a risk of damage to the reactors if a plane crashes on them. Changing the runway alignment is tricky because of a hill that comes in the way. The issue has not been sorted out till now.

#12 ·
Sridhar said:
The Navi Mumbai airport has not been approved. No 'construction' is underway. The maximum that has happened till now is land acquisition in anticipation of approval and construction of a compound wall (I am not sure this has happened, but there was a plan).

There is a problem with respect to the runway alignment for this airport before any design can be frozen. The flight funnel is directly over BARC in Trombay. Besides the obvious security concerns, there is also an issue of safety - plane crashes are more common in the flight path and due to its proximity, there is a risk of damage to the reactors if a plane crashes on them. Changing the runway alignment is tricky because of a hill that comes in the way. The issue has not been sorted out till now.

What? how is that possible?. I saw it myself! I dont think i saw a mirage :hahaha:
I saw the board right in front of the site saying very clearly that it WAS the airport. However, it is quite strange that there is no mention of this on the Internet. You may be right also. I will double check.

G
#14 ·
planemad said:
why dont they just shift BARC a couple of kilometers :D

Can someone please point out the proposed location on a map?
I will try(Sorry for crappy editing)

Huge Orange Dot would be BARC
Grey Dot would be proposed site for Intl Airport

Zooming out , Orange Dot here would be the proposed airport site .

I remember these airports plans have been around for quite a few years now and has only failed to materialise .
The question is it wise to chalk up such grandeur plans ?

Already , the existing airport has much room for renovation and expansion (what are those slums doing adjacent the airport ?)
Landing into Mumbai Airport is a eyesore with slums galore

#16 ·
A board means nothing. CIDCO has been acquiring land for this project for many years now. I would suspect that most of the land has been acquired. The board probably just delineates that this is that land.

Can you confirm that you saw any kind of 'construction' activity on the site? If not, the board is quite meaningless.

In any case, I am 100% certain that the project has not been approved and no construction has begun. The proposal is under the consideration of the ministry as of now (and could be approved soon particularly since the minister is from Maharashtra). A compound wall may of course be constructed by CIDCO to delineate the area and to ensure that there is no encroachment. That is the maximum construction that could have happened till now.

#18 ·
Well, when I was returning from my trip in jan, there were many cranes digging things up. I would call that the begining of construction allrignt!. I could not confirm it this time, because i was fast asleep in the bus when the site passed me abt 7 in the morning.

#20 ·
Yes, sounds strange to me too. Maybe I am mistaken. I dont know. and the most frustrating part about thi is that there is not mention of this. not even a single word!!!
Whether it will be constructed, or not, or whether it will be approved, or whether it is approved already, etc, etc

#24 ·
10 towers of 18 floors each by Reliance Info

Reliance Infocomm has acquired a 3.5 acre plot in Navi Mumbai close to Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge Centre (DAKC) which houses its headquarters. The company is setting up a sprawling housing complex on this plot for its employees.

There will be 10 buildings with 18 floors each, with an estimated investment of around Rs 25-30 crore. Over 400 double-bedroom flats in range of 850-1,200 square feet will be built on the plot, located in Sector 16, Koparkhairane.

The company has given the mandate of constructing the complex to Simpless Construction and Larsen & Tourbo (L&T). Renowned architect Hafeez Contractor has been roped in to oversee the entire project. However, a Reliance Infocomm official declined to comment on the development.

Detials

http://www.business-standard.com/ic...tono=190674&leftnm=lmnu9&leftindx=9&lselect=0

#26 ·
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MUMBAI: Soon, science will be all fun and games for Navi Mumbai kids. The hip-n-happening township will have its own science park, only the second one in the city after the Nehru Science Centre at Worli.

The City Industrial and Development Corporation of India (Cidco) plans to build the science park on a 20-acre plot in Khargar, near Bharatiya Vidyapeeth.

What makes the park unique is that it is being designed according to the wishes of Navi Mumbai's 11 lakh population. "We have organised an essay competition in which residents can write about their dream of a science park. The last date for submission of entries is August 30, 2005," Cidco chief spokesperson BR Gaekwad told TOI on Monday.

Those who work in Navi Mumbai but stay elsewhere can also participate in the competition. The essays will be evaluated by retired scientists of the Bhaba Atomic Research Centre who live in Navi Mumbai