daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Rate Lisbon's publis transport
Excellent 17 30.36%
Very good 20 35.71%
Good 11 19.64%
Fair 2 3.57%
Bad 2 3.57%
Very bad 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #561
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 3709

Agualva-Cacém

Marcha em contravia by João Véstia, no Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post
DiogoBaptista está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #562
DiogoBaptista

Oriente

Metropolitan superheroes by Stefano Trucco, no Flickr

Old March 21st, 2017, 04:34 AM   #563
DiogoBaptista

Baixa-Chiado

Lisbona by Carlo Alessio Cozzolino, no Flickr

Lisbona [+1 inside] by Carlo Alessio Cozzolino, no Flickr

Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:55 AM   #564
DiogoBaptista

Picoas

Picoas station, Lisbon by Tetramesh, no Flickr

lsg97, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by DiogoBaptista; April 6th, 2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 05:52 AM   #565
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1145

Lisboa metro is a good metro network. It currently has 4 lines— Line blue, yellow, green & red, perhaps the only metro system in Europe, which has such naming by color. In my country India, most cities are now naming their metro lines by such coloring—Delhi, Bengaluru, Jaipur & Chennai. Beside this, I heard formerly they have their own name—seagull, sunflower, caravel & orient. I don’t know why they got such special name, could anyone explain?

The network is mostly underground. All lines are connected with each others, which strengthens the entire network. It is a very good example of a strong metro network. Some stations buildings are also very beautiful, a great work of art.

The western extension of Blue line up to Reboleira started a good interchange between suburban train and metro. Peoples coming from Sintra could now get down there, and could take the metro to reach at city centre. The other end also has a good interchange between suburban train and metro at Santa Apolonia.

After reading many websites I’ve recently saw some matters, which arise some questions and curiosity. Here I’m writing.

1) Yellow line is planned to extend southwestern Lisboa upto Alcantara Mar. It will be very good extension because it will create an interchange between suburban train and metro. Passengers coming from Cascias could then get down there, and could take the metro to reach at city centre. There will be three new stations—Estrela, Infante Santo and Alcantara Mar. Has the construction started? Please write some details about this extension with its opening date.

2) Green line, currently the busiest line, is planned to extend west central Lisboa up to Pontinha. After this extension, it will create an alternative route of Blue line from Pontinha to Baxia-Chiado. Although that alternative route will be longer, but if anytime an accident or anything could stop the service of Blue line via Sao Sebastao, this Green line could continue the journey. There will be one new stations—Horta Nova. Has the construction started? Please write some details about this extension with its opening date.

3) The Red line is planned to extend mostly in future. It will extend towards north central Lisboa up to Lumiar, towards northern Lisboa up to Sacavem, and towards southwestern Lisboa up to Campo de Orique. It is clear that it will be busiest line in future. There will be two new stations towards north—Portela and Sacavem, one new stations towards north central—Alta de Lisboa, and three new stations towards southwest—Campolide, Amoreirasand & Campo de Ourique. After this extension, it will create an alternative route of Yellow line from Lumiar to Saldanha. Although that alternative route will be longer, but if anytime an accident or anything could stop the service of Yellow line via Sao Sebastao, this Red line could continue the journey. Has the construction started? Please write some details about this extension with its opening date.

In a word, Lisboa metro will be much stronger in future.

DiogoBaptista, phohien liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 03:27 PM   #566
flexus
~

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Beside this, I heard formerly they have their own name—seagull, sunflower, caravel & orient. I don’t know why they got such special name, could anyone explain?
The names were part of the new metro identity introduced in early 90s along with new signage, iconography, typography, maps, and line colours (read more about that here). They reference Lisbon's history with navigations and sea expeditions over the centuries, but never really succeeded with locals who just called the lines by their colours. Therefore, some time later, Lisbon Metro ditched the names and kept the icons.

Quote:
Has the construction started? Please write some details about this extension with its opening date.
No construction is under way. Also, unfortunately, over the years the various governments altered a big part of these planned extensions you mentioned. Currently, though, there are no official plans.

The most recent announced extension is Rato - Estrela - Santos - Cais do Sodré, creating one more connection between the yellow and green lines, but even this one is not 100% confirmed as research is not yet finished.

The government also announced plans to extend the red line from São Sebastião to Campo de Ourique via Campolide and Amoreiras but no date (or confirmation, for that matter) is given yet.
flexus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:53 PM   #567
Ashis Mitra

Thank you very much for your reply, the future of Lisboa Metro is not so bright I think, because they have not confirmed about the extensions.
Old April 4th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #568
Ashis Mitra

Until recent years, Lisboa tram mostly resembled my city tram system Kolkata, because most tram routes of Lisboa used trolley pole, which is a characteristic of my city tram system. Fortunately now all trams of Lisboa changed to panto-graph along with change of overhead wire hanging style, trams of Kolkata still stuck on trolley pole, which I personally dislike very much. Trolley pole skids often from wire, where panto-graph is steady. I don’t know when Kolkata will learn from Lisboa and other cities.

A peculiar matter is Lisboa and Rio de Janeiro, both Portuguese speaking city has some hilly, steep tram routes due to their topography. Most tram routes run through steep, narrow lanes/streets, which are sometimes so narrow, are one way. I think Lisboa is a living heritage city, by historic buildings, narrow streets, and their mostly old, high floor heritage looking tramcars.

Before opening metro network, the tram network was very strong, covered all important streets of entire downtown, and all directions of Lisboa city. Places like Carnide, Lumiar, Areero, Campo Pueno, zoo, Rato, Rotunda, San Sebastio, Saldanha, Arco do Cego, Praca Do Chile, Anjos, Apolonia Station all were once served by trams, but now replaced by metro. Personally I support replacing by metro, but, beside this, many former tram routes are not covered by metro. I heard the future extension planning is also not good for metro, so was not it was a great mistake to close those routes?

Route 1 to 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19 to 24, and 26 were closed, not all converted to metro. It was almost like my city Kolkata, where almost half of route closed. Although the Kolkata network is still a bit bigger than Lisboa, but recently they are gradually declining from last 10 years. Thankfully Lisboa replaced many tram routes by metro, but in Kolkata this replacement program is not much high and fast.

Hopefully, still all has not ended. In an apparent reversal of policy, the mayor (president of the city council) of Lisboa, Fernando Medina, announced in December 2016 that tram 24 would be restored to service in 2017 between Cais do Sodré and Campolide, saying that it was a mistake to reduce the city's network of electric trams and that work would be undertaken to reconstruct it. Although this proposed route 24 will be completely different from old route 24. The rute of old 24 was Carmo – Príncipe Real – Largo do Rato – Campolide – Santo Sebastião – Saldanha – Praça do Chile—where tram lines has now not existed.

Could anyone say some details about that proposed route, with a map?

In a sentence, Lisboa tram is now one of the weak tram network of the world, much like Kolkata.

DiogoBaptista liked this post
Old April 4th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #569
Puss in Boots

Likes (Received): 549

It shouldn't be so difficult to restore the 24, there is still the line left on the streets so they can use it pretty easy + extend or change it where they want it too, but they wouldn't start from 0.
Puss in Boots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #570
Ashis Mitra

Could you post here some photos of remaining track scene of former tram route 24?

What is the difference between Fertagus & CP trains?
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #571
AAPMBerlin

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Could you post here some photos of remaining track scene of former tram route 24?

Technically, there is no difference. Only the colour and the company.
Old April 6th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #572
Ashis Mitra

I agreed, but why a separate Fertagus, when a strong CP rail network was already running?
Old April 6th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #573
DiogoBaptista

Aeroporto

abfahrt! | lisboa | 1702 by feliksbln, no Flickr

Bart_LCY liked this post
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #574
DiogoBaptista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puss in Boots View Post
It shouldn't be so difficult to restore the 24, there is still the line left on the streets so they can use it pretty easy + extend or change it where they want it too, but they wouldn't start from 0.
There are an official plan by the Lisbon city council and CARRIS to restore and reopen the 24E.

The recent requalification works on Cais do Sodré Square organized the square thinking about the return of the tram, same about the Campolide Square.

The tracks still on the streets (some misses in the Camões Square) but some eletrical stuff needs to be built.
Although there are an touristic tram tour running in some part of the line between Chiado and Príncipe Real.

Quote:
Until recent years, Lisboa tram mostly resembled my city tram system Kolkata, because most tram routes of Lisboa used trolley pole, which is a characteristic of my city tram system. Fortunately now all trams of Lisboa changed to panto-graph along with change of overhead wire hanging style, trams of Kolkata still stuck on trolley pole, which I personally dislike very much. Trolley pole skids often from wire, where panto-graph is steady. I don’t know when Kolkata will learn from Lisboa and other cities.
Youre wrong, still exist tram cars running with trolley pole.

Quote:
Before opening metro network, the tram network was very strong, covered all important streets of entire downtown, and all directions of Lisboa city. Places like Carnide, Lumiar, Areero, Campo Pueno, zoo, Rato, Rotunda, San Sebastio, Saldanha, Arco do Cego, Praca Do Chile, Anjos, Apolonia Station all were once served by trams, but now replaced by metro. Personally I support replacing by metro, but, beside this, many former tram routes are not covered by metro. I heard the future extension planning is also not good for metro, so was not it was a great mistake to close those routes?
The close of some tram services all over Lisbon resulted not only because the construction of the metro but also because the introduction of the bus.
The only plans for trams is to restore the old 24 and an idea to bring back the tram on Santa Apolónia.

Except some cases they only removed the tram on where the subway was built and the routes were replaced by buses.

Quote:
Although this proposed route 24 will be completely different from old route 24. The rute of old 24 was Carmo – Príncipe Real – Largo do Rato – Campolide – Santo Sebastião – Saldanha – Praça do Chile—where tram lines has now not existed.

Could anyone say some details about that proposed route, with a map?
The 24E route changed some times and in the last time of service it was running between the areas that you said, Carmo – Príncipe Real – Largo do Rato – Campolide – Santo Sebastião – Saldanha – Praça do Chile, althout the original route was between Carmo and Campolide, the one that are plans to bring it back starting in Cais do Sodré.

Quote:
In a sentence, Lisboa tram is now one of the weak tram network of the world, much like Kolkata.
The Lisbon tram network is one of the oldest in the world that still survives, is in a process of revitalization and is a tourist attraction in the city, adapted to the new times in which the automobile, bus and metro have expanded in the city, on the contrary of major world cities that wiped out the trams, Lisbon's trams had the ability to save it as a jewel, a treasure. Lisbon trams are not weak, they are a relic of the city!

Ashis Mitra liked this post

Last edited by DiogoBaptista; April 7th, 2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #575
DiogoBaptista

Quote:
They are different companies that perform different services in different areas, fertagus is a private company that operates serving only the southern area of Lisbon and connecting it with the center of lisbon. When the rail service was built on the 25 de Abril bridge the government decided to assign the service to a private company.

Last edited by DiogoBaptista; April 7th, 2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 01:16 AM   #576
DiogoBaptista

Quote:
That's the 24 route that are plans to reopen, there still tracks in all of it, except a very small fault on Camões Square. If you navigate through the streetview along these streets you will see all the rails.

Paulo Magalhães, arctic_carlos liked this post

Last edited by DiogoBaptista; April 7th, 2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #577
Ashis Mitra

Great, they have kept the closed tram rail in very good condition, that it will be restoring very easily. In my city, all closed routes are either covered, or lift up.

Waiting to see return of tram route 24.

DiogoBaptista liked this post
Old April 7th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #578
DiogoBaptista

Olaias

Estación de metro Olaias, Lisboa by Isov_51, no Flickr

Estación de metro Olaias, Lisboa by Isov_51, no Flickr

dimlys1994, franciscoc, lsg97 liked this post
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #579