daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #2001
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
yeah thats true also i forgot the + on new york while writing should add it there. Kuala Lumpur and Singapore get an extra point because i was there and i simply loved those cities, those are out of the objective view thats why they are higher ranked then they should for most people, guangzhou has extremely nice designs for all of their buildings and im simply amazed by the colors at night and stuff so there goes the explanation for the three cities ranked higher. and yes you are true about new york ranking higher very soon for me, i may hate tower verre as a building, but WTC2 and Freedom Tower as second place are my favorite projects going on in the USA also tthanks for your reply, apprechiated ~
And I appreciate your clarification, as well as putting my city as #1.

You have to know that I'm quite famliar with Shenzen (SZ) and GZ skylines, as both cities are practically around the corner. Indeed, both have experienced a dramatic change in terms of appearance, cityscape and skyline recently, and are very well on the track of entering the "golden league".

NijmegenCity liked this post
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2002
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

HK, figure you're as good a person as anyone to ask, but how many 200+ meter buildings are there in HK? I feel like there was a list in this thread somewhere, but we're over 100 pages now.

As far as my list, the top 3 are without doubt NY, Chi, and HK, and I like to judge based on height, density, architectural diversity, and setting.

So for the time being NY doesn't have immense height, but lots in the pipeline and u/c; has unreal density and architectural diversity, and a good setting, but not as beautiful as HK or Chi I'd say. Chi has incredible height and setting, the diversity is there but not on the same scale as NY sort of just in the sheer number of buildings, and the density is good but not on par with the other two. HK has an unreal setting and incredible density, and height, but no real architectural diversity. I couldn't argue anyone having one of those 3 as their #1, but I think those are pretty clearly the top 3, then there's a big dropoff, and you Dubai, Singapore, Sydney, Shanghai, Tokyo, etic.

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2003
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
HK, figure you're as good a person as anyone to ask, but how many 200+ meter buildings are there in HK? I feel like there was a list in this thread somewhere, but we're over 100 pages now.

As far as my list, the top 3 are without doubt NY, Chi, and HK, and I like to judge based on height, density, architectural diversity, and setting.

So for the time being NY doesn't have immense height, but lots in the pipeline and u/c; has unreal density and architectural diversity, and a good setting, but not as beautiful as HK or Chi I'd say. Chi has incredible height and setting, the diversity is there but not on the same scale as NY sort of just in the sheer number of buildings, and the density is good but not on par with the other two. HK has an unreal setting and incredible density, and height, but no real architectural diversity. I couldn't argue anyone having one of those 3 as their #1, but I think those are pretty clearly the top 3, then there's a big dropoff, and you Dubai, Singapore, Sydney, Shanghai, Tokyo, etic.
Yeah, I remember a list isaidso made once, where all cities with 200m+ towers were listed. The thread should be somewhere in the Architecture section.

Right now, HK has exactly 54 buildings over 200m*, including 6 supertalls. The only serious project, the New World Centre Redevelopment (265m), is currently under preparation. There's one supertalls proposal but unfortunately nothing concrete has been released so far.

And I totally agree with your characterization of the three skyline kings. What NYC lacks in height (only at the moment!), it makes up in density and mass. That's why I somtimes call the NYC skyline a skymass.

* NYC has 52, not counting 1WTC which has surpassed the 200m mark.

HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2004
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10781

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
Yeah, I remember a list isaidso made once, where all cities with 200m+ towers were listed. The thread should be somewhere in the Architecture section.
Oh god! That list turned into an all-consuming beast. It's likely very out of date after just 8 months of neglect, but here's a link to it:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...104105&page=12

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM   #2005
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2091

Tough to rank, and so much is going on in so many cities that will drastically alter their skylines in the near future. Here is an approximation for me (in no particular order)...

Tier 1:
New York
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Chicago

Tier 1.5:
Dubai - needs to expand its footprint with shorter filler so it doesn't just look like supertalls surrounded by desert

Tier 2:
Guangzhou
Shenzhen

Tier 2.5:
Kuala Lumpur (soon will blast into Tier 2)

Tier 3:
Singapore
Toronto
Tokyo
Melbourne
Moscow

Honorable Mention:
Boston - HOMER VOTE!!!
LA
Houston
Bangkok
Sydney
London (upcoming)
Metro Manila
Nanjing/Tianjin/Chongqing/Beijing/other Chinese cities I may have missed
Seoul (upcoming)
Busan/Incheon
Panama City (upcoming)

May have to rethink if I missed a couple but this seems pretty on point at the moment

Last edited by DZH22; July 21st, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #2006
vladorlando
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Zefire, NijmegenCity liked this post
vladorlando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2007
isaidso
the new republic

Really good Moscow pics!

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Old August 9th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #2008
PanaManiac
"Hands of Stone"

Likes (Received): 111

Moscow - An incongruous yet spectacular intrusion of western/modern architecture on the urban landscape...
HD video #1-> PANAMA - HUB OF THE AMERICAS <-HD video #2
HD video #3-> Panatrópolis! <-HD video #3
Images link #1-> Panama City - Ciudad de Panamá <-Images link #2

PanaManiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2009
[nightfury]

Likes (Received): 113

Metro Manila

image hosted on flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/...91ecd909_b.jpg

[nightfury] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2010
harry·chao

Likes (Received): 583

1.HK
2.CHICAGO
3.NY

harry·chao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #2011
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

1.NYC
2.Chicago
3.HK

Sid Vicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #2012
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55230

This is an off topic post.... the world skyscrapers all stars.

Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #2013
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

the first one shouldnt feature 1WTC since its the only one not completed.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #2014
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

The posters are unfortunately outdated. And technically incorrect, However, I do like them

Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #2015
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55230

Yeah I know its quite old.

The tiny short building on the far right is one of our tallest buildings in Vancouver.

Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #2016
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

LOL
after completion of new wtc site NYC will get the crown back.

Sid Vicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 05:45 AM   #2017
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

I am not familiar with as many skylines as many other people here so forgive me

1. Hong Kong
2. Chicago
3. Shanghai
4. Toronto
5. New York City
6. Moscow
7. Guangzhou
8. Shenzhen
9. Dubai
10. Dallas

-Hong Kong should be a no brainer. The mountains. The harbor. Everything. Very nice height. I love the gateway that ICC and 2ifc make. Without a doubt, the best night skyline in the world.

-Chicago is one of the four cities named I have visited on my list. I love the boxy style and the lake.

-Shanghai is the big daddy of China. Once Shanghai Tower is complete and the we get to see all three brothers together it'll be a wonderful sight.

-Toronto is another city I've been to. The night skyline is amazing. I love how the CN Tower is further away from the main bunch of buildings to create a lot of negative space if trying to get the Tower and the cluster of buildings.

-NYC is another city I've been to as well. In the near future, after the WTC, West Side, and the 57th Street biggies are complete, I'll be ranking this city a LOT higher. It's great as it is, but I'm a supertall guy, and all those supertalls going up/about to go up make me very happy

-Moscow, I think is really underrated. I never see it in these skyline threads. But I like it so much because all of the towers are close together/right next to each other for the most part. No need to go to the other side of town like you need to for other cities. If you wanna look at Moscow's skyscrapers, you already know you have to go to the IBC

-Guangzhou is a nice city. Never been there but it looks nice lol. I like how all of it's towers can basically form a huge long line. Right now it's kind of low because there's so many cranes going up we can't admire the towers! XD

-Shenzhen I think has a skyline that is better viewed further away at night/dawn/dusk. Daytime it's alright. But when viewed from further away, that just shows how MASSIVE the skyline is. If all of it's supertall proposals go through, it'd be super hard to get them all in one picture

-Dubai is a meh city to me. As a skyscraper enthusiast, I LOVE how many supertalls and skyscrapers they can throw in. But that just makes it so that the supertalls are "just another building". Besides Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab, the supertalls have no soul if you get what I'm saying. In other cities, their main skyscrapers and supertalls all have a unique soul and personality. Because of the sheer amount of tall buildings in Dubai though, it's hard to pay attention to anything other then the first skyscraper and the tallest skyscraper :/

-Dallas is the last city I've actually been to and I really like the night time skyline of it as well. Although it doesn't have the sheer height the other cities have, it has a distinct flavor and personality that I really enjoy

azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2018
isaidso
the new republic

I agree that Moscow is under rated. Moscow might be the only European city to crack my top 10 in the foreseeable future. Competition for a top 10 is tough though.

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #2019
mhek

Likes (Received): 577

image hosted on flickr

Makati
image hosted on flickr

Different Faces of Makati - Sunny by Benson Kua, on Flickr

Last edited by mhek; September 7th, 2011 at 04:57 AM.
mhek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2020
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto