daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2261
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

1.: New York City
2.: Chicago
3.: HongKong
4.: Shanghai
5.: Guangzhou
6.: Kuala Lumpur
7.: Toronto
8.: Dubai
9.: Tokio
10.: Panama City, San Francisco, Singapur, Bangkok

Zefire liked this post
Sid Vicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2262
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
If we agreed with everyone all the time it would be very boring. I do agree with you on some points though. Bangkok doesn't have any buildings that stand out above the crowd, nor does it have a cluster that acts as a focal point.
true, and I agree that it could be maybe a little higher on the list

@ Sid, I agree with most of your list, btw its Tokyo
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2263
Sid Vicious
BANNED

ups, Tokyo yeahh!

Zefire liked this post
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2264
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
Actually... I'll take chicago over ny and way over Hong Kong. Especially in 2 years or so.
Reasons why?
It is balanced pretty well with 3 "Peaks". The colors are all in all.. fantastic.
It has the diversity nyc has with architecture from many different era's. HK Really lacks in that department.
It doesn't have the commie blocks or pencil towers of Hk, which I'm sorry but i'll have to agree with the masses on this one, add, but certainly aren't pleasing.
It has the best waterfront of all three.
It has the Height.
And as far as nyer's and hker's go, the chicago forumers are amazingly modest about it. So good for them. Go chicago.
2.) Ny...
Ny has Quality and Quantity.
Ny has diversity.
Ny has vibrancy.
Ny has height.
Ny also has way too many Nimbys preventing great idea's like the west side stadium and the Con- ed site to really reach it's full potential.
It seams ny is less aware or a better way to put it, does not care how the skyline looks. There are zoning laws but i don't think developers really care how the skyline looks overall , just the site they develop.
Ny is seperated into Downtown and Midtown so it's more like 2 skylines.
Ny has probably the most iconic buildings of any other skyscraper city.

3.) Hong Kong..

Hong Kong has got the height.
Hong Kong has beautiful scenery
Hong Kong has got INCREDIBLE DENSITY
The skyline IS Aesthetically more pleasing than Ny's
Hk's got vibrant Colors.
Lots of glass.
Unique Architecture.
It also has alot of COMMIEBLOCK fillers. Infact It really is Mostly Commie block. But those are residential.
Pencil Towers which i personally am nuetral on. They can look good and add a whole lot to the skyline but i may think differently at times as they can be eyesores.
Alot of the height in the skyline is really Built up Hillside.

So for me it's
Chicago over Ny, Ny over Hk, Hk over the next skyline.

( And i have been to all 3)
I want to quote you just to mention how good of a poster you are. Not because of your opinion, but because of how unbiased you are. I was just going through this thread, seeing all of the arrogant posts from different people, and then realized how you are one of the few unbiased people on here. I'm glad you're a moderator.

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 20th, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2265
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

I fear both cities, HK and CHI are falling behind. At least we have seen some 200m skyscrapers completed recently, but in CHI there's not even one 200m+ tower U/C.

NY with its upcoming supertalls is making big steps forward. Look at Lower Manhattan, the new WTC already dominates. And Midtown West with its Hudson Yards Towers will generate a "new" skyline within the city. Good times ahead for New Yorkers.

HK seriously needs to start building more aesthetically pleasing residential towers. We undeniably have a sea of fugly towers. It seems the major boom is over, but I'm positive there will be some supertalls proposals pretty soon, most probably in Kowloon.

CHI has the best balanced skyline in the world. It needs to plan carefully where to build the next huge project. I really hope we'll see a serious supertall proposal popping up in the near future.

All in all, those 3 cities together with SH and DUB are the best skyscraper cities in the world. Other cities need huge developments to catch up on them.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2266
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
I fear both cities, HK and CHI are falling behind. At least we have seen some 200m skyscrapers completed recently, but in CHI there's not even one 200m+ tower U/C.

NY with its upcoming supertalls is making big steps forward. Look at Lower Manhattan, the new WTC already dominates. And Midtown West with its Hudson Yards Towers will generate a "new" skyline within the city. Good times ahead for New Yorkers.

HK seriously needs to start building more aesthetically pleasing residential towers. We undeniably have a sea of fugly towers. It seems the major boom is over, but I'm positive there will be some supertalls proposals pretty soon, most probably in Kowloon.

CHI has the best balanced skyline in the world. It needs to plan carefully where to build the next huge project. I really hope we'll see a serious supertall proposal popping up in the near future.

All in all, those 3 cities together with SH and DUB are the best skyscraper cities in the world. Other cities need huge developments to catch up on them.
I think Chi and HK will always be part of the top skylines in the world. But concerning new buildings, Chicago just got the 423 meter Trump tower in 2009, and HK just got the commerce center, and they have both built tons of new buildings in the 200-300m range during 2000-2010. Also, there are some approved buildings for each city like Chicago is getting a 250-300m building, and HK is getting one in the 200-300 range. There are some major Chicago projects that are waiting out the recession. See, the main thing in America is recession, which is stopping their from being many new buildings. Most people say that Chicago will start building big again once the economy turns around, and Chicago actually has a few future projects in the works, like the Kennedy's are going to build some tall skyscrapers in Chicago, and are suppose to announce their plans this year. Their is also a 600m proposal, but it hasn't been approved yet, and its a bit outlandish. Im not sure how the economy is in HK though, you would have to fill me in on that.

But both cities are powerful, Chicago has the 3rd highest GDP in the world, and I know HK is also up there, so they both probably have a great future. I would honestly bet that both Chicago and HK has a 600m within the next 10 years.

Either way, Chicago and Hong Kong will always have some of the greatest skylines in the world, they are both so unique, and world renown.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:19 AM   #2267
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10781

It's good to hear about some new construction in Chicago, but it will have to pick things up substantially or it will be out of my top 5 in the not too distant future.

01. New York
02. Shanghai
03. Hong Kong
04. Chicago
05. Tokyo

06. Toronto
07. Dubai
08. Guangzhou
09. Bangkok
10. Melbourne

New York, Shanghai, and Hong Kong will remain my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively. Things will tighten up considerably between Chicago, Tokyo, Toronto, Dubai, Guangzhou, and Bangkok. Melbourne's skyline is a little small, but I just love love love it. It squeaks into my top 10, but will have to go on a building boom to stay there.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:12 AM   #2268
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
It's good to hear about some new construction in Chicago, but it will have to pick things up substantially or it will be out of my top 5 in the not too distant future.

01. New York
02. Shanghai
03. Hong Kong
04. Chicago
05. Tokyo

06. Toronto
07. Dubai
08. Guangzhou
09. Bangkok
10. Melbourne

New York, Shanghai, and Hong Kong will remain my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively. Things will tighten up considerably between Chicago, Tokyo, Toronto, Dubai, Guangzhou, and Bangkok. Melbourne's skyline is a little small, but I just love love love it. It squeaks into my top 10, but will have to go on a building boom to stay there.
Why do you have Shanghai over Hong Kong and Chicago ? You need to account for the fact that Shanghai doesn't have any historic buildings like Chicago. Chicago has possibly the best modern architecture in the world, and also has amazing art deco architecture. Shanghai only has modern architecture.

Also Hong Kong, is well Hong Kong, it just is freaking amazing... from 2 IFC to to the commerce center, the way that every where you look around Hong Kong is a sea of buildings. And those mountains... And the light shows HK has, The Festival of Lights, is absolutely astonishing.

HK
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
- Flickr user Stanislav Dmitriyev

Chicago

[IMG][/IMG]

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 22nd, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM   #2269
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Why do you have Shanghai over Hong Kong and Chicago ? You need to account for the fact that Shanghai doesn't have any historic buildings like Chicago. Chicago has possibly the best modern architecture in the world, and also has amazing art deco architecture. Shanghai only has modern architecture.
I love the setting of Shanghai's main cluster on the banks of the river and I consider it the most impressive cluster on the planet. It's spectacular and overall, only New York tops it. Chicago has great architecture, but Chicago's just too small overall to compete with the top 3.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2270
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
I love the setting of Shanghai's main cluster on the banks of the river and I consider it the most impressive cluster on the planet. It's spectacular and overall, only New York tops it. Chicago has great architecture, but Chicago's just too small overall to compete with the top 3.
Small ? If you measure the length of Chicago's skyline its seven miles. But we can agree to disagree.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2271
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Small ? If you measure the length of Chicago's skyline its seven miles. But we can agree to disagree.
It's smaller than Tokyo too, but its balance and great buildings elevate it to #4. Skyline ranking is quite subjective. Thumbing through this thread, there's a very wide variety of cities that people put in their lists.

Last edited by isaidso; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2272
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:

01. New York
02. Shanghai
03. Hong Kong
04. Chicago
05. Tokyo

06. Toronto
07. Dubai
08. Guangzhou
09. Bangkok
10. Melbourne

Melbourne's skyline is a little small, but I just love love love it. It squeaks into my top 10, but will have to go on a building boom to stay there.
Melbourne is going through a building boom. It's just the beginning, but at this moment it has 22 buildings over 70m under construction, with at least 100 more in the pipeline.

Buildings like, 568 Collins Street (218m), Queensbridge Tower (276m), 25 Queensbridge Street (222m), Pearl Tower (254m), Encore Tower (226m), Building 4 Carlton United Brewery (281m+), 150 Queen Street (208m), 399 Bourke Street (204m) 272-282 Queen Street (220m), Stork (217m), Abode 318 (188m), 72-82 Collins Street (190m), 450 Elizabeth Street (173m).... and plenty more
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #2273
isaidso
the new republic

I've been keeping an eye on Melbourne, but thank you for the run down. It surely has a great shot at remaining one of the world's great skylines. Not only is there construction, but most of it looks really good. That's something I couldn't say for Toronto although the standard has improved dramatically over the last few years. I used to like perhaps 10% of what Toronto was building, but it's up to about 75% these days.

Last edited by isaidso; April 22nd, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM   #2274
GIGIGAGA

Likes (Received): 130

Hongkong Newyork Shanghai Chicago Dubai Tokyo
these are my confirmed top 6 time and time again
while, Singapore, Sydney, Toronto, Paris, London, Moscow, Los angels, Guangzhou can compete for the rest four to be in top10
GIGIGAGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2275
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Paris, London, Moscow and LA arent better than KL imho.

Zefire liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:00 PM   #2276
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
It's smaller than Tokyo too, but its balance and great buildings elevate it to #4. Skyline ranking is quite subjective. Thumbing through this thread, there's a very wide variety of cities that people put in their lists.
Density isn't what matters as much, and Chicago has more skyscrapers then Shanghai, so does HK. It's about height, architecture, and variety. But like I said before we can agree to disagree.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2277
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

CHI is actually pretty low on the list when it comes to total number of skyscrapers....

Buildings over 200m completed:
Dubai: 63 (#5)
Hong Kong: 62 (#1)
New York: 54 (#2)
Shanghai: 44 (#3)
Chicago: 27 (#4)

Last edited by HK999; April 22nd, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2278
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

^ NY is catching up to HK. I wonder when it'll pass it.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2279
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Well NY is certainly catching up, 4 200m+ towers will T/O this year alone:
1WTC, 4WTC, One57 and 1715 Broadway.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:46 AM   #2280
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Density isn't what matters as much, and Chicago has more skyscrapers then Shanghai, so does HK. It's about height, architecture, and variety.
My list is based on height, footprint (# of buildings), balance, architecture, and variety. It's why I have New York is 1st, Shanghai in 2nd, and Hong Kong in 3rd. Here's an interesting list based purely on quantitative measures. Btw, Shanghai has more skyscrapers than Chicago, not the other way around.

City: # of buildings 100 metres or more---Combined Heights in metres

01. Hong Kong: 2,354---333,836
02. New York: 794---109,720
03. Tokyo: 556---73,008
04. Dubai: 403---66,248
05. Shanghai: 430---59,958

06. Bangkok: 355---48,737

07. Chicago: 341---48,441
08. Guangzhou: 295---42,865
09. Seoul: 282---39,308
10. Kuala Lumpur: 244---34,035

11. Singapore: 238---33,735
12. Shenzhen: 235---33,435
13. Chongqing: 226---31,475

14. Toronto: 216---27,867
15. Panama City: 185---27,478

16. Manila: 186---26,307
17. Jakarta: 170---23,674

18. Sao Paulo: 194---22,794
19. Osaka: 172---22,754
20. Beijing: 172---22,192

21. Macau: 131---19,597

22. Moscow: 132---18,504
23. Tianjin: 131---18,259
24. Nanjing: 110---16,784
25. Mumbai: 118---16,331

26. Miami: 137---18,385
27. Buenos Aires: 122---15,254

28. Sydney: 102---13,933
29. Mexico City: 114---13,862
30. Dalian: 93---12,803

31. Houston: 86---12,614
32. Doha: 78---12,254
33. Istanbul: 90---11,897
34. Honolulu: 104---11,855
35. San Francisco: 88---11,582

36. Wuhan: 79---11,236
37. Busan: 64---10,556
38. Shenyang: 76---10,479

39. Atlanta: 73---10,471
40. Chengdu: 81---10,453

41. Los Angeles: 70---10,062
42. Melbourne: 69---9,868
43. Paris: 78---9,558

44. Qingdao: 68---9,404
45. Rio de Janeiro: 73: 8,867

46. Xiamen: 66---8,584
47. Hangzhou: 62---8,463

48. Las Vegas: 59: 8,241
49. Dallas: 53---7,879

50. Tel Aviv: 59---7,679

Maroon: Cities in Asia (28)
Navy: Cities in America (16)
Green: Cities in the Rest of the World (6)

http://www.ctbuh.org/LinkClick.aspx?...language=en-GB

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 23rd, 2012 at 02:37 AM.

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto