daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #2301
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There certainly are lots of cities one could put in a top 10. I have a bit of trouble putting Guangzhou, Tokyo, and Shenzhen in there as well. Tokyo does have a good cluster, but it tends to get lost in the vastness of the city. If you isolate that cluster by itself, it's quite good. Guangzhou is developing a good focal point as well. Shenzhen is a big mess, I agree with you 100% there.
I agree on Shenzen, but not on the others. Also, about Emporis, I have checked Shanghai, Chicago,HK,NY and they are all up to date. Here are my problems with Shanghai, first off it doesn't create a actual sky-line like Chicago,Hong Kong, and NYC. Second, I see it as more of a city like Dubai that is fighting for the top 5. The architecture it has is similar to HK's, so I see it as a second HK in a way. The Big 3 for me(CHI,HK,NYC), all combine to one piece, because they are all very powerful and unique. Chicago isn't a second NYC, its very unique, very modern, very powerful, and has a huge skyline. It has some of the world's best architecture because it combines it's beautiful modern style with beautiful art deco, and has one of the most unique skylines. Also, on the polls on this site Chicago and HK have always been in the top 3. If you type in top skylines, just about everything has Chicago in the top 3, the first thing that comes up is this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pmT4U4FDssStyw which has it as 2. Click on the next thing, Chicago is 2. After that is Emporis which has it in the top 3, after that is another one with Chicago as 2., if you keep looking you will see nearly all have it in the top 3. If you ask the American Institute of Architects, they say that Chicago has the best architecture in America - http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ond-city/4510/. It has also been called the best US city by design http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...625_902330.htm. All the skyline list I mentioned have Chicago and HK above Shanghai.

I would like to point out, that I don't have anything against Shanghai, I just think Chicago and HK are better. Also, about 30 years in the future, I see Dubai being 1.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #2302
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

nanjing city from http://tu.6.cn/

Last edited by oliver999; April 25th, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2303
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Shanghai

image hosted on flickr

飞逝 / Fluxion by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

落幕 / Drop Scene by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

律动 / the Rhythm by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

蓝色时刻 / the Blue Time by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

清晨的步伐 / the paces by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

天际线 / the City's Skyline by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

视野 / VIEW by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

弯 / SHANGHAI ARC by blackstation, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

黄浦江上的邮轮 / the Cruise Ships on the Huangpu River by blackstation, on Flickr

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

Highcliff liked this post
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #2304
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by little universe View Post
Just great! That's the best cluster in the world..... for now.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2305
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by little universe View Post
Stunning pictures
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2306
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Just great! That's the best cluster in the world..... for now.
What's your up and comer for the best cluster in the world, out of curiosity?

And while I still think that Chicago and HK have better overall natural settings, NY has an amazing collection of bridges that can't be matched.

image hosted on flickr

YoungAdventure

image hosted on flickr

Several seconds

image hosted on flickr

Several seconds

image hosted on flickr

sallylavell

image hosted on flickr

dicegirlsnapz

yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2307
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
What's your up and comer for the best cluster in the world, out of curiosity?

And while I still think that Chicago and HK have better overall natural settings, NY has an amazing collection of bridges that can't be matched.
New York's midtown is the one to watch. There are so many super tall buildings planned; it's going to look even more spectacular than it already does. I already have New York as my favourite skyline, but it will have the best cluster in a few years as well. A close 2nd: Lower Manhattan.

I understand the great natural setting of Hong Kong, and even New York. I find lake settings a little less interesting, but I suppose they're better settings than inland cities like London have.

Getting back to clusters, I still don't know what to make of Dubai. Even though it's starting to gel better, I still haven't warmed to it. A big dark horse is Mumbai. It's going to come out of nowhere and join the big boys over the next 10 years. Few people are paying attention to it, but it's inevitable that it's going to boast a very impressive skyline.

I don't even have Mumbai in my top 30 today, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in my top 10 within 5-6 years. It's only going to move up the rankings after that.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:57 AM   #2308
yankeesfan1000

Quote:
New York's midtown is the one to watch. There are so many super tall buildings planned; it's going to look even more spectacular than it already does. I already have New York as my favourite skyline, but it will have the best cluster in a few years as well. A close 2nd: Lower Manhattan.

I understand the great natural setting of Hong Kong, and even New York. I find lake settings a little less interesting, but I suppose they're better settings than inland cities like London have.

Getting back to clusters, I still don't know what to make of Dubai. Even though it's starting to gel better, I still haven't warmed to it. A big dark horse is Mumbai. It's going to come out of nowhere and join the big boys over the next 10 years. Few people are paying attention to it, but it's inevitable that it's going to boast a very impressive skyline.

I don't even have Mumbai in my top 30 today, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in my top 10 within 5-6 years. It's only going to move up the rankings after that.
I agree with you on Dubai. I think the big thing that turns me off about Dubai is the vacant lots. You can't really blame them for that entirely because construction has really slowed since the downtown, but having the tallest building in the world, and the tallest block in the world is impressive, but having huge vacant, sand covered lots within a stones throw off them, makes them much less impressive. So Dubai really just needs to fill that stuff in, even if it's just 10-15 story buildings. Also agree on Mumbai.

Midtown really is booming. And there are so many more projects that are likely to get built in the next 5 years, 250 E 57th, 15 Penn, Manhattan West, 610 Lex, 432 Park, 225 W 57th, Tower Verre, Starwood Hotel, the entire Hudson Yards. I honestly think if those projects get built, and Hong Kong and Chicago don't start to get busy, Midtown Manhattan alone might have the best skyline on earth. Speaking of Midtown...

image hosted on flickr

Source

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:57 AM   #2309
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:

I would actually take Chicago's lake over an ocean. It has this gorgeous aqua color that is intoxicating. You are also forgetting the lake is 300 miles long, and 50 miles wide, and it still has waves like an ocean. Another thing, is that their aren't jellyfish, sharks...etc..

About clusters, Dubai really needs to work on density. Right now it's mostly one long line of skyscrapers, with a few around the Burj, and another line several miles to the right. They really need to work on filling in the area around the burj khalifa.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:06 AM   #2310
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Someone say Chicago?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

By Fish Whisperer on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Duncan Smith on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

OZinOH on Flickr

The strength of Chicago's skyline to me is its sharp linearity: how the buildings seem to huddle in a straight line, echoing the vast, beautiful sweep of the lake.

Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:45 AM   #2311
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I would actually take Chicago's lake over an ocean. It has this gorgeous aqua color that is intoxicating. You are also forgetting the lake is 300 miles long, and 50 miles wide, and it still has waves like an ocean. Another thing, is that their aren't jellyfish, sharks...etc..
I didn't forget, I just prefer mountains, inlets, and peninsulas to lake fronts like Toronto and Chicago.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:10 AM   #2312
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
I didn't forget, I just prefer mountains, inlets, and peninsulas to lake fronts like Toronto and Chicago.

@ Dralcoffin - Excellent photos, also I agree.

@ yankeesfan1000 - Awesome photos, love the one under the bridge!

Oh ok gotcha. So how do you feel about Dubai, I feel like it needs to be more spread out, right now its one long line of a plateau of 300-400 meter buildings. Also regarding NYC, I really love the new WTC, but man... I really miss the Twin Towers. The view from the Brooklyn Bridge at night, when the twins were still there, was the best skyscraper view in the world. It was absolutely spectacular. Another thing, I am not sure how I feel about 432 park being so much taller then the Empire State Building. The ESB may be the best example of architectural perfection, 432 Park is an ok looking building, and nothing more.

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; May 3rd, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2313
yankeesfan1000

I think as the WTC starts to fill the old ones gap in the skyline, and buildings like 99 Church start to go up as well, that feeling will dissipate. Nothing will ever be as imposing as the original, but the new complex will be a big improvement over the old one in a lot of ways, most notably, the old WTC at street level was always eerily empty, almost post apocalyptic.

I'm not nuts on the shape of 432 Park either, but the exterior bracing is going to be done in a stainless steel or brushed nickel apparently, which could look really nice. Either way, it's a 1400 hotel/condo in a still fragile economy, ain't all bad.

Little more on NYs setting, thanks to NYGuy on SSP for digging it up.

image hosted on flickr

repponen

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2314
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
I think as the WTC starts to fill the old ones gap in the skyline, and buildings like 99 Church start to go up as well, that feeling will dissipate. Nothing will ever be as imposing as the original, but the new complex will be a big improvement over the old one in a lot of ways, most notably, the old WTC at street level was always eerily empty, almost post apocalyptic.

I'm not nuts on the shape of 432 Park either, but the exterior bracing is going to be done in a stainless steel or brushed nickel apparently, which could look really nice. Either way, it's a 1400 hotel/condo in a still fragile economy, ain't all bad.

Little more on NYs setting, thanks to NYGuy on SSP for digging it up.

repponen
I really hope so... something about the image of the old WTC in downtown at night had so much heart, I really hope it's like that after the new WTC is finished. I can't judge yet since the glass facade isn't at the top yet.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #2315
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

image hosted on flickr

Chicago Skyline Panorama, Dusk by Robert R Gigliotti, RRGPhotography.com, on Flickr

Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2316
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1065

MY ULTIMATE SKYLINES LIST OF THE WORLD!

1. HONG KONG of CHINA- Asia
2. NEW YORK of USA- North America
3. CHICAGO of USA- North America
4. SHANGHAI of CHINA- Asia
5. DUBAI of UAE- Asia
6. KUALA LUMPUR of MALAYSIA- Asia
7. TORONTO of CANADA- North America
8. SINGAPORE of SINGAPORE- Asia
9. GUANGZHOU of CHINA- Asia
10. SYDNEY of AUSTRALIA- Oceania

11. VANCOUVER of CANADA- North America
12. SHENZHEN of CHINA- Asia
13. SEATLE of USA- North America
14. DOHA of QATAR- Asia
15. TOKYO of JAPAN- Asia
16. MELBOURNE of AUSTRALIA- Oceania
17. BEIJING of CHINA- Asia
18. OSAKA of JAPAN- Asia
19. LONDON of ENGLAND- EUROPE
20. PHILADELPHIA of USA- North America

21. MANILA of PHILIPPINES- Asia
22. ABU DHABI of UAE- Asia
23. BANGKOK of THAILAND- Asia
24. BUSAN of SOUTH KOREA- Asia
25. CHONGQING of CHINA- Asia
26. SEOUL of SOUTH KOREA- Asia
26. PANAMA CITY of PANAMA- South America
27. SANTIAGO of CHILE- South America
28. JAKARTA of INDONESIA- Asia
29. MIAMI of USA- North America
30. PARIS of FRANCE- Europe

THESE ARE MY TOP CITIES AFTER CONSIDERING THEIR OWN MERITS OF ICONS,LANDSCAPES,FOCAL POINT CLUSTERS,CITY AT LARGE,DENSITY,NATURAL ADD VALUES AND AESTHETIC VALUES.
This evaluation were based on every city's own very best photos of the 2012 latest that can be gotten on google,our forums and the nets. Nothing more fairer than we evaluating each city with their best pictures, not what blueprint datas that have been set in our perspective before.
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #2317
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:

image hosted on flickr

repponen
great photo,the harbor looks very nice.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2318
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
So how do you feel about Dubai, I feel like it needs to be more spread out, right now its one long line of a plateau of 300-400 meter buildings. Also regarding NYC, I really love the new WTC, but man... I really miss the Twin Towers. The view from the Brooklyn Bridge at night, when the twins were still there, was the best skyscraper view in the world. It was absolutely spectacular. Another thing, I am not sure how I feel about 432 park being so much taller then the Empire State Building. The ESB may be the best example of architectural perfection, 432 Park is an ok looking building, and nothing more.
I find Dubai's skyline to linear as well. It's much better than before, but not there yet. I miss the twin towers in NYC, but the replacement is very good. It's not fair to compare them as nothing is going to be the same. 432 Park being taller than ESB is an issue, but all cities go through this. Their tall historic skyscrapers get surpassed/blocked by newer taller buildings. It happened in Toronto, Chicago, etc. ESB has the advantage of being somewhat removed from both of New York's main clusters. The ESB may not be the tallest any more, but it's still very prominent.

Old May 4th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2319
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
I find Dubai's skyline to linear as well. It's much better than before, but not there yet. I miss the twin towers in NYC, but the replacement is very good. It's not fair to compare them as nothing is going to be the same. 432 Park being taller than ESB is an issue, but all cities go through this. Their tall historic skyscrapers get surpassed/blocked by newer taller buildings. It happened in Toronto, Chicago, etc. ESB has the advantage of being somewhat removed from both of New York's main clusters. The ESB may not be the tallest any more, but it's still very prominent.
Right, I was noticing some interesting things about Dubai, first off it's waterfront isn't built up, and It has a bunch of buildings, but they are in a straight line, any idea why they only seem to build along sheikh zayek road ? I also was wondering why the buildings are so far from the waterfront ? Because of the desert, Dubai looks very empty, and I think it will be a long time until it has a built up skyline. Also I have to ask, does Dubai just keep building for no reason, or is there an actual need for apartment and office space ?

Look at this photo from Dandoon

[IMG]http://i41.************/16jk4r8.jpg[/IMG]

Looks really empty.

Old May 4th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2320
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Yeah, the ESB is going to get a lot of competition in the next years.
Towers under construction or in preparation that will be taller than the ESB:
- 1WTC (545m)
- 432 Park Avenue (432m)
- 2WTC (411m)
- Hudson Yards North Tower (400m)

And the 300m+ towers:
- ESB (381m)
- 15 Penn Plaza (371m)
- One Manhattan West (370m)
- Bank of America Tower (366m)
- 225 West 57th Street (366m+)
- 3WTC (352m)
- Conde Nast Building (341m)
- Girasole (323m)
- Tower Verre (320m)
- Chrysler Building (319m)
- NYTT (319m)
- Hudson Yards South Tower (310m)
- One57 (306m)
- Hudson Yards Mixed-used Tower (300m+)

One could say, NY is clearing its way for a megatall tower. This decade we'll see at least one 600m+ proposal.

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto