daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2501
costaveha

Likes (Received): 1

Yes, in term of the size it's surely in that way. Though, the skylines in those cities are also keep growing in rapid phase.
costaveha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:36 AM   #2502
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

New York city no doubt. Hong kongs a great skyline I can't argue, but for me it's cant even take second! It's buildings are tall, but they aren't special. You feel nothing when you look at them because they have no significance or splendor. They were built to try and show off to the rest of the world in a booming econemy. In 100 years it will probly be legendary, but not now. Here's some perks for honk kong. It's a great view from the water. It's bright and lit up. And it's tall.
I give it a 7
2nd place for me is Chicago.
But only from a lake Michigan view, otherwise hong long takes second. A view of Chicago from lakr Michigan is priceless. The Willis tower, trump tower Chicago, and Hancock building stick out perhaps the most, and the lack of giant lights really adds to the splendor. There's nothing like seeing the golden sand from a boat over lake Michigan! Although I do admit a certain red building in the skyline kills it for me in the day. And first is definitely new York! The bridges, art deco style of the 1930s, and concentration of buildings leave new York city dominant. With modern architecture style high rises like at the wtc site compliment there surroundings perfectly with a mirror of a facade. Lower manhattan skyline is in a phase of growth making it stunning. Mayr it is boxy. But what's wrong with that? New York is beautiful. Truly second to none!
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:46 AM   #2503
cfredo

Likes (Received): 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
They were built to try and show off to the rest of the world in a booming econemy.
And towers in the US aren't?
cfredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:46 AM   #2504
little universe
A Living Sculpture

SHANGHAI

image hosted on flickr

three bros by matteroffact, on Flickr

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

Last edited by little universe; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:27 AM   #2505
nyarch21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredo

And towers in the US aren't?
Absolutely not! Maybe in the 1930/ but certainly not in years. Skyscrapers of today for example New York are always built on practicality. If it can make them money, they build it. If it can't make them money, they won't. Example. The world trade center site is going to cost billions. 1wtx is currently the most expensive building ever and it's not completed. They could have rebuilt the twins, bigger, better, but they first need to test ten out and are if they can work financially and secure tenants. Which is why they aren't confident on the construction of 1wtc or 2wtc. Burj khalifa costs less than any of those buildings! Do you think theyre incapable of building them? Absolutely not. Example 2. 432 park avenue is set to be 1380 feet I think? Take or give a few. They could've added 100 feet or so and made it the tallest in the USA. A title that is respectable. But no, not what they were looking for. It's money. So no, American buildings don't try to show off, they're mainly based on demand!
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:45 AM   #2506
cfredo

Quote:
Absolutely not! Maybe in the 1930/ but certainly not in years. Skyscrapers of today for example New York are always built on practicality. If it can make them money, they build it. If it can't make them money, they won't. Example. The world trade center site is going to cost billions. 1wtx is currently the most expensive building ever and it's not completed. They could have rebuilt the twins, bigger, better, but they first need to test ten out and are if they can work financially and secure tenants. Which is why they aren't confident on the construction of 1wtc or 2wtc. Burj khalifa costs less than any of those buildings! Do you think theyre incapable of building them? Absolutely not. Example 2. 432 park avenue is set to be 1380 feet I think? Take or give a few. They could've added 100 feet or so and made it the tallest in the USA. A title that is respectable. But no, not what they were looking for. It's money. So no, American buildings don't try to show off, they're mainly based on demand!
Same thing for Hong Kong. There is not even enough supply in office space, especially in HK Central. This is mainly because of HK's geography, there just isn't enough space for buildings in HK. All of this leads to incredible high rents in the main CBD which already forces some companies to move their offices to less expensive districts like Kowloon. In HK there was and will be the necessity to build high because of lack in space.
Why do you bring up Dubai? HK is not comparable wiht Dubai, it's one of the world's top financial hubs (along with NYC and London).
Saying that HK's office construction isn't driven by demand is just ridiculous.
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:51 AM   #2507
nyarch21

Umm... Hey dumbass. Did I say honk kong wasn't driven by demand or did I give you a reason as to why new York city isnt trying to show off?
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:58 AM   #2508
cfredo

Quote:
Hong kongs a great skyline I can't argue, but for me it's cant even take second! It's buildings are tall, but they aren't special. You feel nothing when you look at them because they have no significance or splendor. They were built to try and show off to the rest of the world in a booming econemy.
Your own words...
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:06 AM   #2509
nyarch21

Ohh great you just proved ourself wrong. They were built to show off. I never said there wasn't demand "BOOMING ECONEMY"
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:17 AM   #2510
cfredo

I already made clear, that highrise construction in HK has nothing to do with "showing off". It's an combination of high demand and lack of space on the tiny HK islands.

So now let's stop this argument and not further derail this thread.
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:20 AM   #2511
nyarch21

The architectural style is where they're trying to show off, not just the scale. You're right actually. It's not so much hong kong that is trying to show off as shanghai.
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:45 AM   #2512
Texas_giant
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Umm... Hey dumbass. Did I say honk kong wasn't driven by demand or did I give you a reason as to why new York city isnt trying to show off?
Don't use bad language. And yes, he's right you did say exactly that.

Zefire liked this post
Texas_giant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:47 AM   #2513
Texas_giant
BANNED

My vote goes to Hong Kong, definitely the most fabulous skyline.

Shanghai looks like 3 New Yorks combined, a sign of the changing times

Zefire liked this post
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:50 AM   #2514
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Guys, the US and China aren't the enemies. Both countries each have two amazing cities that actually need supertalls: New York and Chicago for the U.S., and Hong Kong and Shanghai in China. In the 1910s and especially the 1930s, New York did exactly what Shanghai is doing now. Sure, you want to build iconic, and yeah, Empire, Chrysler, 40 Wall, AIG, and GE were'nt needed at the time on such a scale just as Pearl, Jin Mao, Shanghai WFC, and the Tower are today, but they will become icons, as Jin Mao especially, is becoming. Unlike Dubai, where they build useless supertalls for an extremely low price, the US and China challenge each other and embark upon challenging projects that test our architectural knowledge to the fullest. We do build because we need, and you can tell by the density of the cities. These four cities in comparison to Dubai on tallest building cost (US$ Today) and supertall (Com, U/C, App, and Pro) purpose (Office being the best, Mixed Use in the middle, and Residential / Hotel being the worst) clearly show their dominance over Dubai:

New York: 1WTC: $3.8 billion. Complex (Main 4): $11.5 billion.
Supertalls: 10 Office, 5 Mixed Use, 6 unannounced.
Chicago: Sears: $1.1 billion. Trump: $1 billion.
Supertalls: 4 Office, 2 Mixed Use.
Hong Kong: ICC, $3.8 billion. Two IFC: $1.5 billion.
Supertalls: 5 Office, 1 Mixed Use.
Shanghai: ST: $2.1 billion. SWFC: $1.2 billion.
Supertalls: 3 Mixed Use, 2 Office.
Dubai: BK: $1.5 billion. Entire Downtown Dubai Development: $20 billion.
Supertalls: 12 Residential, 5Hotel, 5 Mixed Use, 2 Office.

Now you can stop all this nosense about China and US building in excess, not needing to build, or trying to "show off." These four cities are my four favorites (Coming from an American) : 1. New York, 2. Hong Kong, 3. Shanghai, 4. Chicago. It is clear when compared to Dubai how much more dominant these cities are. I am looking forward to seeing how the standings are in 2025 among these cities. Cheers!
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:51 AM   #2515
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
New York's midtown is the one to watch. There are so many super tall buildings planned; it's going to look even more spectacular than it already does. I already have New York as my favourite skyline, but it will have the best cluster in a few years as well. A close 2nd: Lower Manhattan.

I understand the great natural setting of Hong Kong, and even New York. I find lake settings a little less interesting, but I suppose they're better settings than inland cities like London have.

Getting back to clusters, I still don't know what to make of Dubai. Even though it's starting to gel better, I still haven't warmed to it. A big dark horse is Mumbai. It's going to come out of nowhere and join the big boys over the next 10 years. Few people are paying attention to it, but it's inevitable that it's going to boast a very impressive skyline.

I don't even have Mumbai in my top 30 today, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in my top 10 within 5-6 years. It's only going to move up the rankings after that.
True, they're building tons of buildings over 300 meters in mumbai at the moment, many of them are going to be among the tallest in the world. Also, there's a city under construction called GIFT in India, it's probably going to overtake Mumbai in the next 10 years with its skyline. Many companies from Hong Kong and Singapore have prebooked lots of office space there.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:13 AM   #2516
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I just, for the first time, checked out its Wikipedia today and was astounded. All I had heard of from Mumbai was India Tower and World One (Fabulous designs, especially India Tower, by the way), and I see nearly 20 supertalls there, which is just barely behind New York (22) and Dubai (25). For a city with a tallest building of only 833 feet, this is unheard of. How many will get built soon is another topic. I personally believe between 6 and 8, but who knows. It is definitely the one to watch between now and 2025.

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; August 1st, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:23 AM   #2517
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I just, for the first time, checked out its Wikipedia today and was astounded. All I had heard of from Mumbai was India Tower and World One (Fabulous designs, especially India Tower, by the way), and I see nearly 20 supertalls there, which is just barely behind New York (22) and Dubai (25). For a city with a tallest building of only 833 feet, this is unheard of. How many will get built soon is another topic. I personally believe between 6 and 8, but who knows. It is definitely the one to watch between now and 2025.
Though I agree not all of them will get built, it will definitely be more than 6 to 8. At least 80% will get built and let me tell you why

1. India is still a poor country, but there is a massive amount of mega rich living there, particularly in the metros. Demand for residential space is there. (I know this first hand and can elaborate)

2. India has many of the world's biggest companies now, and they need office space. Prices in mumbai are through the roof because demand is so high, so it's definitely a need, not just a want

3. Just like any other developing country, India doesn't care about financial viability. They are also looking to "show off" if you will. For this reason, they aren't just going to call projects off merely because it's not financially viable in the long term.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:27 AM   #2518
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Also check out GIFT city in Gujarat, it will have an ever more emphatic skyline than Mumbai will. Gujarat is the hottest investment state in India, and a huge number of multinationals from Japan, Singapore (east asia in general) are making this a hub of investment. It's way ahead of the rest of India in just about every aspect, I wouldn't even wait till 2025, in 5-10 years this place will have a solid skyline.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM   #2519
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Alright, I will check out GIFT in a minute. Crazy how fast this is all happening. I hope they build no more than 15 at the most. Not because of my patriotism, but because I don't want to see its demand collapse and economy go down the drain. We already have enough problems with the global economy, and for a population giant to go down the same road would be disastrous.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:20 AM   #2520
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Alright, I will check out GIFT in a minute. Crazy how fast this is all happening. I hope they build no more than 15 at the most. Not because of my patriotism, but because I don't want to see its demand collapse and economy go down the drain. We already have enough problems with the global economy, and for a population giant to go down the same road would be disastrous.
ok, let me know what you find. You seem to know more about skyscrapers than me

Zefire liked this post

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto