daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2541
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Yes, I agree, Chicago is extremely dense and balanced, and has magnificent buildings like Sears, Trump, and JH, but it just lacks the scale of Hong Kong, Shanghai, and New York. New York, Hong Kong, and Shanghai seem better to me from street level though, especially NY. I am a sucker for rivers and bridges, and don't get me wrong, Chicago is my 4th favorite skyline, and the lake is nice, but I just can't put it up there with those three.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2542
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

Singapore

image hosted on flickr

Sydney, Australia

image hosted on flickr

Mumbai, Spain

image hosted on flickr

Madrid, Spain

image hosted on flickr

Washington, DC

image hosted on flickr
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:10 AM   #2543
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Wow Washington D.C? Really? It's nice but since nothing is allowed to be taller than the Capitol building there's not much of a skyline, although I do agree it's beautiful.
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:06 AM   #2544
Texas_giant
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
I agree that the Mediterranean is very beautiful and in a league of its own, it being an ocean and having the perks that the sea can give But I also find the great lakes to be very special and beautiful in a different kind of way. This depends on where you go, but everything I go to lake Michigan I'm amazed by how clear the water is and also how far out you can go ( I love finding sandbars!) the lighthouses are something unique to the great lakes. And it's nice to not worry about sharks or any animals at all to be honest. I think if Chicago was on the ocean rather than a great lake it wouldn't be so special.
lol I've never heard of people fearing a shark before going to the beach

Also, the beaches in Chicago just didn't feel the same. It was easy to tell that they were artificially man-made.

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by Texas_giant; August 3rd, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
Texas_giant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:07 AM   #2545
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by マイルズ View Post
Mumbai, Spain

image hosted on flickr
Mumbai is not in spain, and this isn't Mumbai. This is Powai, a far of suburb off mumbai. Very nice looking town in fact, I may consider moving there. completely non-existent 10 years ago, just grasslands then

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by Texas_giant; August 3rd, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:42 AM   #2546
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Those buildings are rather tacky with their faux Greek temples on top.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2547
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Those buildings are rather tacky with their faux Greek temples on top.
yeah, i don't like the top of those buildings either. I like the feel of the place though, very lively at night with good restaurants and nice scenery around with forest and lakes

edit: in fact, I take that back, the more I see it the more I'm starting to like it

Zefire liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM   #2548
nyarch21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_giant

lol I've never heard of people fearing a shark before going to the beach

Also, the beaches in Chicago just didn't feel the same. It was easy to tell that they were artificially man-made.
Chicagoan beaches are not artificial. It's not salt water body an doesn't have a salt water ecosystem, that's probly what you felt, lack of life. There's nothing fake about the beaches in Chicago.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2549
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Chicagoan beaches are not artificial. It's not salt water body an doesn't have a salt water ecosystem, that's probly what you felt, lack of life. There's nothing fake about the beaches in Chicago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaches_in_Chicago

Quote:
Today, the entire 28 miles (45 km) Chicago lakefront shoreline is man-made, and primarily used as parkland.

Zefire liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:10 AM   #2550
tranglandmarket

Likes (Received): 0

nice shot
tranglandmarket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #2551
isaidso
the new republic

Hogtown

Courtesy of Jasonzed

image hosted on flickr

Multiple Strikes of lightning Hitting the CN Tower by Richard Gottardo, on Flickr

An old one looking south towards the CBD:

image hosted on flickr

YYZ by Nahshon Immanuel, on Flickr

.....and the skyline going the other way towards Yorkville and beyond:

image hosted on flickr

The New NYC by Neil Ta | I am Bidong, on Flickr

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2552
nyarch21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_giant
I stand corrected! I'm still confused though. How arethe beaches artificially made? What happened to the real beaches? What did they do to artificially make them?
Sorry, I did some research and the arches are indeed artificial and the sand is from the bottom of lake Michigan. I found this strange since me, being from Michigan, know that beaches along the shore of Michigan are definitely not fake and have some of the largest sand dunes. I found out though that the water tends to push the sand west to east and Chicago, being in the west of course, did not have natural beaches.

Last edited by nyarch21; August 3rd, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #2553
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I found out though that the water tends to push the sand west to east and Chicago, being in the west of course, did not have natural beaches.
Chicago could always build a fake island and then get a naturally occurring sand beach.

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #2554
nyarch21

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso

Chicago could always build a fake island and then get a naturally occurring sand beach.
Thats makes sense. I don't think it could collect enough for the entire shoreline though. I wonder what Chicago looked like before the sand, it would definitely have effected my opinion of its skyline. The John Hancock looks perfect from the sand!
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #2555
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Thats makes sense. I don't think it could collect enough for the entire shoreline though. I wonder what Chicago looked like before the sand, it would definitely have effected my opinion of its skyline. The John Hancock looks perfect from the sand!
Michigan has some nice beaches, but a lot of them were really rocky and uncomfortable for me. There was a beach near portage, Indiana that was much better in my opinion. In fact, the Chicago skyline was even visible with a pair of binoculars from there.

As far as Chicagos beaches, you just have to look at them, they are awkwardly shaped, it doesn't look natural. and for the most part, it's very skinny, at times no more than 4-5 feet wide.

However, there are quite a few natural beaches in Lake Michigan, mainly along the southeastern portion (both smooth and natural), but chicago's are all fake

Zefire liked this post
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #2556
isaidso
the new republic

Toronto seems more fortunate in this regard. It has the Toronto Islands and naturally occurring beaches on large stretches of its shoreline.

Courtesy of blogto

image hosted on flickr

Toronto Kew Beach by LesleyON, on Flickr

Last edited by isaidso; August 4th, 2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #2557
nyarch21

Where we're you? Lake Michigan beaches on Michigan are all sandy no rocks what so ever. They're know for all they're dunes. Lake Hurron and beaches in the upper peninsula are the rocky ones. With binoculars and the height of the dunes it's not uncommon to see the Chicago skyline from there. Even when I go to grand haven I can see the Milwaukee skyline from here.
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #2558
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Toronto seems more fortunate in this regard. It has the Toronto Islands and naturally occurring beaches on large stretches of its shoreline.

Toronto Kew Beach by LesleyON, on Flickr
Definitely agree. The sand at woodbine was lovely, but the water was a bit chilly the month I went. We played some volleyball there instead though, still had a good time, and it was a bright sunny day fortunately

Zefire liked this post
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #2559
Texas_giant
BANNED

Quote:
Where we're you? Lake Michigan beaches on Michigan are all sandy no rocks what so ever. They're know for all they're dunes. Lake Hurron and beaches in the upper peninsula are the rocky ones. With binoculars and the height of the dunes it's not uncommon to see the Chicago skyline from there. Even when I go to grand haven I can see the Milwaukee skyline from here.
The beaches I went on the south-east side were smooth, could swim comfortably. Not far from Harrisville however it wasn't the same. in fact I scraped my back pretty badly over there

Zefire liked this post
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #2560
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_giant View Post
Definitely agree. The sand at woodbine was lovely, but the water was a bit chilly the month I went. We played some volleyball there instead though, still had a good time, and it was a bright sunny day fortunately
Too bad, the water has been about 22C for over a month now. I usually don't go in till the end of June, but usually head to the beaches on the Toronto Islands.

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto