daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:04 AM   #3201
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Yes, 46 over 300 metres.

Highcliff liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:49 AM   #3202
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

And yet Shenzhen isn't even a world city. Not remotely close. Outside of China, there're few people who have heard of it. Just goes to show that a large number of skyscrapers isn't as good an indicator of the significance of a city as it used to be.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3203
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 1098

It's not about who heard about city, it's all about skyscrapers - there height, general design of skyscrapers in area - skyline.
RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #3204
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

I would take Shenzhen's 40+ modern glass supertalls over New York's old and outdated tiny concrete shells any day. And it doesn't matter if Shenzhen becomes a world city within 12 years or not. We're only concerned about skylines here at skyscrapercity, nothing else. Los Angeles has more global influence than Shenzhen doesn't mean LA skyline is better than Shenzhen's. And about prominence of cities, China is set to become World's largest economy within 5 years from now, so who knows, maybe Shenzhen will be recognized as the best skyline in the future.

Pals_RGB, TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3205
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8763

But most of the supertalls that are located in Shenzhen in construction or in planning, have no aesthetic claim. There sprout simply the high glass boxes here and there. Since I prefer rather a balanced skyline with old and new architecture, such as New York or Chicago.

L.A.F.2., TowerVerre:), Core Rising liked this post
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:31 PM   #3206
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Same here. If it wasn't for the Great Chicago Fire that destroyed virtually everything pre-20th Century, it'd be on par with NYC for me probably. It still has lots of 1930s beauties on the River, but there isn't enough old stuff for my taste. I had about a month where I preferred it to NYC back in November I want to say, but now I feel like NYC is much better.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3207
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

SkyLine. The clue is in the name. When viewing the city skyline, the aesthetic appeal is from the silhouette. LA, New York, Chicago, Hong Kong all have fantastic silhouettes. Shanghai and Shenzhen are just a wall of buildings with the odd supertall breaking the monotony. More supertalls isn't going to help these cities. There is a bizarre fixation with numbers on this forum. I'd say Charlotte NC has a far better skyline than Shenzhen could ever hope to have.

KlausDiggy, SO143 liked this post
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:30 AM   #3208
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

+1 i agree with most of your points, but charlotte nc? geeez please give me a break!

Last edited by SO143; July 3rd, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:31 AM   #3209
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
I would take Shenzhen's 40+ modern glass supertalls over New York's old and outdated tiny concrete shells any day
no brainer here, so i'd take new york any day of the year.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:48 AM   #3210
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

Accusing people of having a different taste, you beat me.
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3212
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Currently Hongkong has the best skyline with over 2400 buildings above 100 meters. No other city is even close enough. Shanghai and Newyork has around 800 buildings.
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3213
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6231

Shanghai Coruscant

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Old City

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Highcliff, unity, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:58 PM   #3214
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6231

continued...

By lkiller123
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaaaimages/8969475606/

image hosted on flickr

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8273596629_8e818d95b0_b.jpg[/imgh]

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by the spliff fairy; July 3rd, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM   #3215
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
I would take Shenzhen's 40+ modern glass supertalls over New York's old and outdated tiny concrete shells any day. And it doesn't matter if Shenzhen becomes a world city within 12 years or not. We're only concerned about skylines here at skyscrapercity, nothing else. Los Angeles has more global influence than Shenzhen doesn't mean LA skyline is better than Shenzhen's. And about prominence of cities, China is set to become World's largest economy within 5 years from now, so who knows, maybe Shenzhen will be recognized as the best skyline in the future.

I've heard many things over the years but this tops almost anything. Then let's talk about the countless ugly blocks of Shenzhen. Where do you think those 12 million people live? In shiny supertalls?
Hong Kong is even worse in that regard. It has the best night skyline, hands down. But boy, talk about day skyline ... all those fugly concrete blocks.

You need to take a closer look what's going in New York. Five 400m+ towers are in the works as we speak ... and about a dozen supertalls.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3216
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
You need to take a closer look what's going in New York. Five 400m+ towers are in the works as we speak ... and about a dozen supertalls.
and nothing beats the global icons like one world trade centre, empire state building and chrysler building.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3217
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

I've heard many things over the years but this tops almost anything. Then let's talk about the countless ugly blocks of Shenzhen. Where do you think those 12 million people live? In shiny supertalls?
Hong Kong is even worse in that regard. It has the best night skyline, hands down. But boy, talk about day skyline ... all those fugly concrete blocks.

l agree with you: for me, now, HK is No.1, but in future NY - when all proposals, all constructions will be completed, it become No.1. No question about that, l think.
RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:13 PM   #3218
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
and nothing beats the global icons like one world trade centre, empire state building and chrysler building.
By your logic, Paris skyline is better than that of Singapore's, because Paris has Eiffel Tower

New York's construction will stall after it's supertall construction concludes within a decade. But Shenzhen's construction has just begun, and if China's economy doesn't crash dramatically Shenzhen will own the no.1 skyline by 2025. Most people have never looked and Shenzhen properly and they assume Shenzhen is only building supertalls like Dubai, no skyscrapers (200-299 meters) or highrises (100-199 meters). This is not the case. Shenzhen has lots of empty plots which will be filled with both skyscrapers and supertalls. If Shenzhen is truly able to construct all of its 40+ supertalls projects, each and every skyline will appear minuscule when scaled next to Shenzhen for comparison. At this magnitude, density will become a non-factor for cities which have lesser quantity of supertalls (Shenzhen itself will turn into a very dense city unlike Dubai).

Shenzhen will become like Himalayas, New York will be like Andes. Global influence has nothing to do skyline rankings (if it did then New York would've stayed at the top, not Hong Kong). I'm pretty sure Emporis, Skyscraperpage etc. will agree with me by 2025

TowerVerre:), Pals_RGB, bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; July 3rd, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #3219
Trueskiller

Likes (Received): 13

Hong kong witout a doubt!

then NYC,
chi chity
shanghai
toronto seems to be doin some work
Trueskiller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #3220
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
But I also can understand if you prefer New York, because the buildings there are really beautiful (the Crysler), also it is (together with Chicago)the only city with old Art Deco Skyscrapers.
Where ever did you get that idea from? Art deco was simply a new style that became popular about a century ago. In the 1920s, every city on the planet with a demand for skyscrapers built art deco. I think you mean that Chicago and New York built the more of them and taller versions of them. That's simply a product of being the largest cities of the day (that built skyscrapers).

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto