daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #3261
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

i second that mate and especially the last sentence is well expressed.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #3262
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

It seems Americans and Europeans prefer old and concrete architecture, while Asians like modern and glass architecture. I personally prefer modern Asian architecture like that of Singapore's over New York's. Looks fresh and futuristic. To each their own
Old July 10th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #3263
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

There's certainly a cultural difference. People in Europe and north America are brought up with an appreciation of architecture from different eras. There's no rush (for the most part) to discard the old for the new, but to recognize the value and beauty in what came before. We prize architectural layering and preservation.

We didn't always think this way. We used to tear down huge sections of our cities in an effort to modernize, but later came to regret losing countless cherished buildings. These days attempts are made to re-purpose, renovate, or at the bare minimum make a nod to our past. In some cases it makes sense to start from scratch.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

TowerVerre:) liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3264
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
It seems Americans and Europeans prefer old and concrete architecture, while Asians like modern and glass architecture. I personally prefer modern Asian architecture like that of Singapore's over New York's. Looks fresh and futuristic. To each their own
I like modern, glassy, futuristic-looking buildings too, but I just don't like what I see in Shenzen or Panama City for that matter.

Some people like Isaidso feel the same why about Miami. There is not a single building over 500 feet tall in Miami that was built before 1980 and most have been built in the 21st century. I admit though that even though they were built in the 21st century, the buildngs in Miami don't look all the futuristic, but I digress. We'll never have the best or the biggest skyline in the world here in Miami, just the third biggest in the U.S.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #3265
Scion

Likes (Received): 4241

image hosted on flickr

Shenzhen Bay Sunrise by arjalvaran, on Flickr
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #3266
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

I'm sorry... but i find shenzhen skyline a bit ugly. Unlike Hong-Kong, they put all the fugly residential buildings in front of the skyline, and that makes Shenzhen's skyline a bit ugly. I changed my opinion and now i don't think Shenzhen will have the best skyline in 2025. It will be still New York, it has got old, modern buildings and international landmarks, unlike Shenzhen.
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #3267
GIGIGAGA

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
I'm sorry... but i find shenzhen skyline a bit ugly. Unlike Hong-Kong, they put all the fugly residential buildings in front of the skyline, and that makes Shenzhen's skyline a bit ugly. I changed my opinion and now i don't think Shenzhen will have the best skyline in 2025. It will be still New York, it has got old, modern buildings and international landmarks, unlike Shenzhen.
residential buildings are in front of the skyline because the picture is taken at the sea side, if it is taken at the other side, you may change your mind

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
GIGIGAGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3268
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
You talk like New York only consists of old buildings. The new WTC easily contends with other massive projects in Asian cities. And not to mention the Hudson Yards, a city within a city. Maybe you should google 2WTC, Tower Verre, Hudson Yards, Beekman Tower, ... and then come back here and tell me how 'old' and 'concrete' they look. I'm just waiting for the rendering release of 225W57thStreet, New York's upcoming 500m+ monster. The architect is Adrian Smith, also known for designing the Kingdom Tower. I'm sure it will look 'old' and 'concrete' right?
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #3269
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

I'm an absolute sucker for art deco and so NYC is an automatic winner for me. That said Shanghai to me out of the other mega skyscraper cities has a character and as a whole very nice looking skyline.
To me Oriental Pearl Tower creates nice looking mixed skyline that elevates skyscapers near it from just a faceless tall glass buildings build in a near timeframe to their own separate pieces.

It truly is interesting to see how it all evolves in China as they will are pretty much going trough what US did in the early 20th century. You wont see that growth in that magnitude again, but with it comes enourmes surge of space needed and blank canvas to build.
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #3270
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
You talk like New York only consists of old buildings. The new WTC easily contends with other massive projects in Asian cities. And not to mention the Hudson Yards, a city within a city. Maybe you should google 2WTC, Tower Verre, Hudson Yards, Beekman Tower, ... and then come back here and tell me how 'old' and 'concrete' they look. I'm just waiting for the rendering release of 225W57thStreet, New York's upcoming 500m+ monster. The architect is Adrian Smith, also known for designing the Kingdom Tower. I'm sure it will look 'old' and 'concrete' right?
One of my personal newer favorites in New York!

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0064 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

CSC_0038 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0049 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0061 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0218 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0242 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; July 11th, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #3271
SO143
BANNED

bank of america tower has always been one of my favourite buildings in the entire world. sometimes, it looks a bit similar to the shard in some photos.
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #3272
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
bank of america tower has always been one of my favourite buildings in the entire world. sometimes, it looks a bit similar to the shard in some photos.
I would have loved to have seen a taller version of this used as our new World Trade Center. They really need to finish the spire on 1WTC as originally planned. I really don't like the way its looks now.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0062 by QuantumX, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3273
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 876

New York New York New York New York !!

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

TowerVerre:) liked this post
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3274
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
Have you ever seen any other photo of Shenzhen besides that? You do realize that Shenzhen is twice the size of Hong Kong in terms of both area and population? So there has to be lots of residential skyscrapers for all those people to live. Shenzhen has only 3 completed supertalls as of now, and the number may rise to 30 by 2025 (if there is no economic collapse). Try googling about Futian and Luohu district for better images of Shenzhen. Most of the cities on earth have their skyscrapers concentrated in a few areas, so it's useless to judge a city skyline by its suburbs.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #3275
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

That is Shenzhen 's skyline in the distance

image hosted on flickr

Shenzhen Bay by arjalvaran, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Shenzhen Bay Sunrise by arjalvaran, on Flickr
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3276
Frozt
Architect aspirant

DUBAI
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 11th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #3277
Donodöner
Public Enemy №1

Likes (Received): 1678

I always asked myself from which distance you can see the Burj Chalifa...
Do you know it?

Grand City Moscow

Donodöner posted this like

Sorry, away for a long time, 'cause engineering student

Highcliff liked this post
Donodöner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #3278
SO143
BANNED

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UT...d=0CMcBEPwSMAA

Highcliff liked this post
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3279
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
and nothing beats the global icons like one world trade centre, empire state building and chrysler building.
Quote:
By your logic, Paris skyline is better than that of Singapore's, because Paris has Eiffel Tower
I'm sorry I'm just responding to this, but the icons SO143 mentions are all skyscrapers and not just towers, so you're not really following his logic and there is nothing to be laughing out loud about.

But while we we are on the subject of New York icons, one that is often overlooked is the Verranzano-Narrows Bridge. At the time of it's completion in 1964, it was the suspension bridge with the longest span in the world beating the Golden Gate Bridge by 200 feet. And unlike the Golden Gate bridge which connects San Francisco with Marin County, the Verranzano-Narrows bridge connects one part of New York City (Brooklyn) with another part of New York City (Staten Island). Views of that bridge in juxtaposition with the New York skyline are absolutely incredible. I'll try to find some pictures.

My photo threads:

hunser, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; July 12th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3280
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donodöner View Post
I always asked myself from which distance you can see the Burj Chalifa...
Do you know it?
95 km

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto