daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #441
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

longest cluster could be any of the 3 though WANCH.

Zefire, NijmegenCity liked this post
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #442
Spooky873
BANNED

NYC has the largest downtown/commercial district in the world, in Midtown. Downtown can just add to it.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #443
Spooky873
BANNED

is it wrong for saying not many buildings stand out to me in this picture? (i know damn well it isnt wrong) anyone agree with me on that?

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #444
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Well it's a zoomed in shot, that shows a bit of Kowloon and only a smidgeon of HK island. You do not even see Central Plaza. I love that shot though. What can you say? The signature skyline stands out -- this is a good thing.That building across the harbour, to the left of 2IFC is Harbourside and it is 255m / 837 ft. Scale is deceiving. And we all know that in a few years, something huge will be sticking out from Kowloon .

For perspectives:

NijmegenCity liked this post
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #445
Spooky873
BANNED

itll look good once the other tower rises in Kowloon. kinda like a gate entrance when youre boating through the harbor, two supertalls on each side.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #446
Spooky873
BANNED

NYC gets my vote.

I had a friend of mine recently come back from Hong Kong. He enjoyed his time, but said the city wasnt like NYC. He said he approaches cities like he does women, shes gotta look good, and shes gotta have personality, which to him is like NYC, looks great, and has a great personality. When asked about HK? He says its like Paris Hilton.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #447
Skybean
天豆

I couldn't help but suspect that your friend is from NYC. Or lying. HK is anything but flashy for the most part. It isn't Dubai. Buildings are put up because they are needed. Land is reclaimed from the sea to build buildings because it is necessary.

Comparing a celebrity to a city is somewhat awkward and unjust. Paris Hilton of all people would be the furthest person that I would compare with HK. For one, HK is naturally beautiful, the built form only enhances what is already there.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #448
Spooky873
BANNED

I picked NYC because what it is, is all the city skylines in the world wrapped in one. Its multi-dimensional. Midtown is the most beautiful collection of skyscrapers in the world. There are 2 districts, Midtown and Downtown, both a part of the same skyline, yet different from eachother. How many other citys are like that? none. NYC was absolutely blessed with its layout. It couldnt be any more perfect. The way the ESB stands alone, amidst the sea of skyscrapers is unmatched. It has the most skyscrapers in one place/one island. The sheer diversity, the urban grit. NYC always was and always will be known as urban. NYC was born a skyscraper city, and will die a skyscraper city.

Why I choose NYC over HK: when comparing two cities, most probably just do it for looks. no better example than NYC and HK. the thing with HK is that its one-dimensional. granted its dense, but NYC has the density where it counts. NYC has far more individually styled buildings, whereas HK has many buildings of the same style. HK does look nice with the Symphony of Lights, but if Shanghai had it too, or NYC, or Chicago, theyd all look good. Its like having a cell phone. The one kid who had it first was cool, then everyone else got it, and they looked just as cool. Add a neon/light show to Boston, and take it out of HK, Boston would take its place.

Hopefully our cities stay tall, because like they say, what goes up, must come down.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #449
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean
I couldn't help but suspect that your friend is from NYC. Or lying. HK is anything but flashy for the most part. It isn't Dubai. Buildings are put up because they are needed. Land is reclaimed from the sea to build buildings because it is necessary.

Comparing a celebrity to a city is somewhat awkward and unjust. Paris Hilton of all people would be the furthest person that I would compare with HK. For one, HK is naturally beautiful, the built form only enhances what is already there.
he is my friend Mason from Honolulu. his assertion was like getting the hot chick with no personality, saying HK looks good but as far as character, value, it lacks.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #450
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Spooky - why do you have to turn every single thread into a NYC v HK affair?

_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #451
Spooky873
BANNED

oh im sorry, im off topic.

how bout them yankees?

Last edited by Spooky873; June 14th, 2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #452
qUikSiLvEr4988
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

qUikSiLvEr4988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #453
_00_deathscar

No, but to regurgitate the same crap you do over and over again is tedious, one would expect more to the poster than to the reader.

Old June 14th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #454
Skybean
天豆

I wouldn't say that they layout in NYC is that great. There are only a few buildings that "stand out" from most skyline shots. You end up having everything blocked out by other towers. Midtown and Downtown are hardly the only "skyline" components that are different. The same effect is present for HK island or Kowloon or any other satellite New Town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
Why I choose NYC over HK: when comparing two cities, most probably just do it for looks. no better example than NYC and HK. the thing with HK is that its one-dimensional.
I don't think so. You are clearly making this assertion based on internet forum pictures and your friend "Mason from Honolulu". Which I can say, would not give you an completely accurate picture of reality.

Old June 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #455
Spooky873
BANNED

I also have 2 friends whos father's spend much time in China for business, sometimes gone for months. They tell us alot about the food there, the cities, like Xian, or Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong, and bring alot back. They stated that they find more life in Shanghai than in Hong Kong, and that HK has a beautiful skyline. You happy now that that was a semi positive review? I guess thats FACTUAL huh?

Actually, alot of the DVDs we watch at her house are from China, theyre on paperback, whatever thats worth.

Ill let you in on a little secret, im lying through the teeth.

Old June 14th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #456
Spooky873
BANNED

As for the one-dimensional jargon, you pit NYC and HK against eachother, when it comes to one being more dimensional than the other, it goes to NYC. I doubt my opinion will change by going there, because ive gone many places with certain predispositions that havent changed, actually they got worse. There is only one dimension to me in HK, thats modernity, and it exemplifies that best.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #457
Skybean
天豆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
There is only one dimension to me in HK, thats modernity, and it exemplifies that best.
Hong Kong is not void of historical architecture either. Although not at the scale of NYC, it exists. Hardly "one dimensional"
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=352189

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #458
_00_deathscar

This reminds me of a Blackadder quote (or two).

Lord Percy: My Lord, you know they do say that the Emphanta's (sp) eyes are more beautiful than the famous Stone of Galvistar.
Blackadder: Hmmm...what?
Lord Percy: The famous Stone of Galvistar My Lord.
Blackadder: And what's that exactly?
Lord Percy: Well, its a famous blue stone, and it comes from Galvistar.
Blackadder: I see...and what about it?
Lord Percy: Well My Lord, the Emphanter's eyes are bluer than it for starters.
Blackadder: I see...and have you ever seen this stone?
Lord Percy: Nooooooooooooooooo not as such My Lord and I know a couple of people who have and they say it's VERY VERY VERY blue indeed.
Blackadder: And have these people seen the Emphanters eyes?
Lord Percy: Ha! No I shouldn't think so My Lord.
Blackadder: And neither have you presumably.
Lord Percy: Nooooo My Lord.
Blackadder: SO WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME PERCY IS SOMETHING, YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IS SLIGHTLY SEEN IS SLIGHTLY LESS BLUE THAN SOMETHING ELSE, YOU'VE NEVER SEEN.

Which I believe give or take a few describes you, a complete and utter prat.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #459
Spooky873
BANNED

to be honest, pictures are probably better, theres no way in hell ill be able to see every inch of hong kong. ill have the pictures come to me. i see NYC best in pictures.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #460
Spooky873
BANNED

city life is a different story.

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto