daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #4601
Festival
LIFE

Likes (Received): 2498

BANGKOK THAILAND

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105720...74115/sizes/h/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/anuchi...66053/sizes/h/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/weerak...80613/sizes/h/

Ivanator liked this post

Last edited by Festival; May 7th, 2014 at 11:55 PM.
Festival no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #4602
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31692

Chicago, USA

Chicago Rush by Craig Newman / Chicago Sun-Times, on Chicago Sun Times
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #4603
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Not if the spire gets built though

Obviously not definite but if it happens Chicago is going nowhere
Chicago has 1 megatall proposed, Shenzhen has 6

Qianhai Tower (Shenzhen) 800m
Future City Project (Shenzhen) 700m
Shenwan Station Tower (Shenzhen) 680m
Platinum Hotel (Shenzhen) 600m
Evergrande Center (Shenzhen) 600m
Baishizhou Redevelopment (Shenzhen) 600m

In fact, Shenzhen is just getting started. Most of its buildings except Ping An are yet to rise above the ground

This is a bad render, but shows some of the proposed projects in Shenzhen. Hopefully all of them will get built

Chicago has to built many more skyscrapers to stay in the race. Of course, as of now it still has a much better skyline than Shenzhen, only Hong Kong and possibly Shanghai in Asia has better skyline than Chicago
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #4604
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

To be fair not all of those are serious projects and I would bet money they won't all get built.

Shenzhen sure would look crazy though
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #4605
lukahead6
lukahead6

Likes (Received): 262

Shenzhen from another perspective

The thing though is that the culmination of a US skyline, the tallest tower of a US city CBD is but a petty fillers in Shenzhen. Shenzhen is building a dozen fillers RIGHT NOW taller than the Chrysler building. Think about that the renders that Faisal and I put up are fan made highlighting only SOME of the tallest buildings. These renders ignore at least 30 200m+ buildings, most of which would be the tallest towers in american cities, but little waves in the skyscraper ocean that is shenzhen.

I doubt the Qianhai 800m+ tower will get built because of the flight path restrictions, but all other projects will probably be built in the future. Shenzhen is facing an increased shortage of space and is forced to build upwards. At some point in the future, I do believe shenzhen will become the only city on earth with more than one 600m tower.

Faisal Shourov liked this post
lukahead6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #4606
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Chicago has to built many more skyscrapers to stay in the race. Of course, as of now it still has a much better skyline than Shenzhen, only Hong Kong and possibly Shanghai in Asia has better skyline than Chicago
It is not about the number of megatalls but a more complex melange of factors like height, materials, placement, distribution, density, use [residential vs commercial], architectural variety, architectural heritage, landmarks, etc.

While the future skyline of Shenzhen looks very impressive [it does!] I still think that Chicago's skyline has that "Je ne se quais" that makes many fall in love with it. Same goes for the skylines of San Francisco and Sydney to mention a few

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by JuanPaulo; May 8th, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #4607
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
It is not about the number of megatalls but a more complex melange of factors like height, materials, placement, distribution, density, use [residential vs commercial], architectural variety, architectural heritage, landmarks, etc.

While the future skyline of Shenzen looks very impressive [it does!] I still think that Chicago's skyline has that "Je ne se quais" that makes many fall in love with it. Same goes for the skylines of San Francisco and Sydney to mention a few
I don't get the 'materials and distribution' part. Shenzhen has mountains in the background and sea as foreground, like Hong Kong. So it is in a better position than Chicago in that regard (placements). As a newly built city (Shenzhen did not exist at all before 1980), Shenzhen has zero heritage unlike Shanghai, Beijing etc.

Only thing Shenzhen lacks is density. Howevers, Shenzhen is a modern city thus it will not be as dense as Chicago or any other older city. But lack of density is a major problem, the skyline looks much worse from closer angles. But Shenzhen will have the height, quantity, quality, background and foreground to make up for the density factor in 5 years.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:31 AM   #4608
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
I don't get the 'materials and distribution' part.
Hi Faisal - by materials I meant that some buildings are glassy, others are clad in stone, and others are just painted concrete. The choice of materials is pretty much tied up with building use, era of construction, and other similar factors. A nice variety of building materials makes for an interesting and appealing skyline in my opinion. Take Moscow for example. While the buildings are rather impressive from a height and design point of view, the skyline as a whole has a lesser impact due to the abundance -if not overuse - of glass facades.

In terms of distribution I was thinking of the way that all the factors I mentioned are distributed over the city. Do the tallest form a cluster [like Moscow] of a linear string [like Dubai]? Are the buildings spread too far apart [like London]? I personally prefer somewhere in the middle [like Chicago] where the tallest create clusters that in turn polarize a more linear distribution of buildings.

Are all the residential buildings concentrated in one area [think Miami] or is there a mixed bag of structures that allures the eye [think New York and Toronto]?

Are most of the buildings painted concrete [Sao Paulo comes to mind] or are most of them a bird's glassy nightmare [Moscow jumps to mind here]? I like variety, where materials highlight each other through contrast [like Calgary or Doha].

Natural setting is always a plus [think Vancouver] so places with mountains and ocean are difficult to beat... i.e. Hong Kong and Shenzhen. Chicago has its lake and one more trick up its sleeve: WINTER. I love snowed in skylines with frigid vapors enveloping the buildings
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #4609
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Most of the newer skyscrapers in New York are glass clad buildings actually. If New York started building skyscrapers as late as Moscow, it would also be full of glass buildings. Glass buildings are modern trend. In the future these glass buildings will be considered classic and heritage as well, when newer type of claddings will take over the trend.

BTW, where would you personally rank London in top global skyline list? Last year some guys in this thread said that London has a better skyline than Shenzhen. It created quite a stir if I remember
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #4610
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

All glass is what's 'in' right now, but a great skyline has a diversity of architectural styles and materials used. All glass might be trendy, but makes for a sterile landscape if that's all you have. You need colour, texture, and materials that give a place some solidity and a sense of permanence. Glass doesn't offer that.

London? You see people London appearing in top 10 lists from time to time. At first I assumed these people were provincial/insular in their world view and needed to get out more, but that's likely not what's at play. A lot of people assume London must have one of the world's best skylines because its one of the world's dominant cities. Not very sound logic, but a more probable explanation. If you were wondering, I have London around 33rd to 35th spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
what about shanghai dude???

then the like of Chongqing, Beijing, Nanjing, Dalian, Suzhou, Wuhan, Nanchang, Chengdu, Tianjin, Hangzhou, Wenzhou and Macau?

Think soon we will have a threat China Vs The Rest of The World Skylines
It will end up being China vs. the rest of the world, but only 4-6 Chinese cities have the potential to rival New York's skyline. Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou will probably get there or already have. Chongqing and Tianjin could get close one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Singapore probably for the last year in top 10 []
Singapore's likely already out of many people's top 10, but the top 10 has become an awfully hard group to crack. There are just so many fabulous skylines out there. I think being in the top 25 is a mark of a great skyline these days.

'Small' cities like Singapore don't have much of a chance in a world of giants.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 8th, 2014 at 07:10 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #4611
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Not if the spire gets built though

Obviously not definite but if it happens Chicago is going nowhere
That would be great if Spire gets built, but aren't we looking at around 2020 at the earliest? I don't think 1 building is enough for a city to cling on either. Personally, I look at everything over 100m.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #4612
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
All glass is what's 'in' right now, but a great skyline has a diversity of architectural styles and materials used. All glass might be trendy, but makes for a sterile landscape if that's all you have. You need colour, texture, and materials that give a place some solidity and a sense of permanence. Glass doesn't offer that.

You see people London appearing in top 10 lists quite often. At first I assumed they were just provincial and needed to get out more, but that's likely not what's at play there. A lot of people assume London must have one of the world's best skylines because its one of the world's dominant cities. Not very sound logic, but there can't be any other explanation.

It will end up being China vs. the rest of the world, but only 4-6 Chinese cities have the potential to rival New York's skyline. Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou will probably get there or already have. Chongqing and Tianjin could get close one day.

Singapore's likely already out of many people's top 10, but the top 10 has become an awfully hard group to crack. There are just so many fabulous skylines out there. I think being in the top 25 is a mark of a great skyline these days.

'Small' cities like Singapore don't have much of a chance in a world of giants.
True. However Moscow skyline doesn't look sterile too me. It has great architectural variety, even though all buildings are glass buildings. The only problem is, it's too small. The buildings are tall and the core is dense, but Moscow doesn't have many 150m+ buildings around its CBD.

But yeah, a skyline comprised of glass buildings only would look absurd...variety is always welcome

The London skyline appreciation however still confounds me
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #4613
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
The London skyline appreciation however still confounds me
I lived in London for a total of 13 years. It's drilled into you daily that you're living in the best place in the galaxy and people actually say it like it's a globally recognized fact rather than a personal opinion. When you have a climate like that, is it really that surprising?

Old May 8th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #4614
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
I lived in London for a total of 13 years. It's drilled into you daily that you're living in the best place in the galaxy and people actually say it like it's a globally recognized fact rather than a personal opinion. When you have a climate like that, is it really that surprising?
Sounds like a communist regime Are people really that ignorant or simply oblivious?

If you don't know about skylines all around the globe, isn't it best not to engage in an argument/debate about skylines? At least the opinions would be more objective than subjective
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #4615
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
A lot of New Yorkers are like this!
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #4616
isaidso
the new republic

Manhattanites are guilty of that. Good point.

Quote:
Sounds like a communist regime Are people really that ignorant or simply oblivious?
Empire will do that to a people. I've never seen navel gazing on quite that level.

Last edited by isaidso; May 8th, 2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #4617
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6216

Hey to be fair we do absolutely bitch about our own city too - prices, weather, chavs, the overcrowded transport, tiny housing, regeneration, lack of regeneration, tube upgrades, strikes. And for much of our living memory the city was a dump, and lovingly associated with one, calling ourselves the Big Smoke (centuries of pollution and killer smogs that would wipe out 12,000 people as late as the 1950s), and the Dirty Old Man of Europe, in reference to the squallor, traffic, sleaze and poverty right until the 1990s (when nearly 1/8 of the city was derelict after industry and the docks emptied).

Although things have made quite a turnaround since then, we do still have a historical inferiority complex to NYC and in very, very hushed circles...

...Paris.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #4618
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Places that are socially acceptable for Londoners to wax lyrical about:

NYC, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Bangkok, anywhere in Scandinavia. Somewhere exotic theyve never heard of but will pretend to know.

Places that are not. You will be left off the Xmas card list :

Paris, LA, Beijing, Ibiza, Dubai, anywhere in the UK.
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #4619
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Hey to be fair we do absolutely bitch about our own city too - prices, weather, chavs, the overcrowded transport, tiny housing, regeneration, lack of regeneration, tube upgrades, strikes. And for much of our living memory the city was a dump, and lovingly associated with one, calling ourselves the Big Smoke (centuries of pollution and killer smogs that would wipe out 12,000 people as late as the 1950s), and the Dirty Old Man of Europe, in reference to the squallor, traffic, sleaze and poverty right until the 1990s (when nearly 1/8 of the city was derelict after industry and the docks emptied).

Although things have made quite a turnaround since then, we do still have a historical inferiority complex to NYC and in very, very hushed circles...

...Paris.
Fair enough. I might add that I've never seen a city that didn't have an inferiority complex when it comes to New York. NYC is just on another level. In London's defense, I'd also like to mention that civic pride is a crucial element in any city that aspires to greatness... or wants to stay there. I just wish there were fewer sentences coming out of London that ended in 'best/greatest in the world'.

People generally acknowledge what London has accomplished. Londoners are obsessed with New York... and to a degree LA. By extension Londoners seem to be very dismissive of every place else.

That said, Torontonians obsess about Chicago. I'm certainly guilty of it. I suppose it's to be expected that people focus on what they deem to be their biggest rival.

Last edited by isaidso; May 8th, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #4620
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

I dont think Londoners are obsessed by NYC, and def not LA. But they do look up to NYC mostly for the built form, and the fact you get more than one season too.

They would (secretly) look up to Paris because of it's beauty, despite moaning about the place eg: 'France is so lovely, the landscape, the art, the food - shame about the French' etc.

People would have trouble trying to place LA unless it had the Hollywood sign in neon/ on fire in the background of film stars lounging by swimming pools. Places like say, Chicago or Mexico City or Seoul don't technically exist.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; May 8th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto