daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #461
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

so lets see here....

as long as you say HK is beautiful, it doesnt matter if youve seen it in person or in pictures. right? no?

you know how many people see HK in pictures that form an opinion? even if they said it looked good, would you suggest saying to see it person to them too?

because of what I said, I must see it in person?

you have no problem with people seeing it in person or pictures so long they think its not one dimensional or ugly.

hmmmmmmmmm

Zefire, NijmegenCity liked this post
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #462
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

No, but there's a difference from judging whether or not a skyline is beautiful/ugly from pictures and having an opinion as opinionated as yours - you seem to be an expert on HK - which let's face it, you couldn't be even if you'd have visited it 5 times nevermind lived here. I don't claim to be an expert on HK, but what's clear is that I know far more about Hong Kong than you do; and hence I suggest you be more open in your views.

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #463
Spooky873
BANNED

edit

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #464
Spooky873
BANNED

thats the whole basis of this thread.

look at this picture, tell me what you think. so if HK is better in person, wouldnt you think NYC is? or Boston? or Tel Aviv??????????????????

basically what youre saying is that nobody can form an opinion off of pictures. thats the whole basis of this ****** website.

Old June 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #465
Spooky873
BANNED

to be honest, i prefer pictures.

yes, you know much about HK, as i do about NYC.

i can use the same defense as you when it comes to NYC being grey depressing boxes.

just using the same logic sirs.

Old June 14th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #466
_00_deathscar

You didn't read my post carefully.

Old June 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #467
Spooky873
BANNED

i am no expert on HK, im no expert on NYC.

from the naked eye, much like the majority on this site, i see a one-dimensional city skyline in Hong Kong. When you were born in Brooklyn and raised in NYC for 10 years, you kinda sorta look through the eyes of NYC. It is not one-dimensional for the sole reason of being compared to NYC. Know that.

Old June 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #468
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Seeing things in real life really does make a massive difference I think.
For example, it's one thing to see something like this in pictures, but it's a completely different story when you actually stand in front of it. I know because I hadn't ever seen a tower over 200m before 2 months ago when I went to Chicago so I can tell, there's no comparrison between seeing something like this in pictures and seeing it in real life.

[img]http://i3.************/11buv6x.jpg[/img]

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #469
Spooky873
BANNED

were talking about one and multi-dimensional skylines, you can tell in pictures. the real beauty effect is better done in person though.

Old June 15th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #470
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
i am no expert on HK, im no expert on NYC.

from the naked eye, much like the majority on this site, i see a one-dimensional city skyline in Hong Kong. When you were born in Brooklyn and raised in NYC for 10 years, you kinda sorta look through the eyes of NYC. It is not one-dimensional for the sole reason of being compared to NYC. Know that.
You still haven't read my post carefully.

Old June 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #471
ricz

Likes (Received): 4

Spooky, seriously, I don't know why you have such an issue about Hong Kong,
you're trying to dis Hong Kong in all the threads possible,
then you would claim you werent intending anything negative. Its not like it has ever done anything bad to you, you havent even been there, or is it pure prejudice?

This was a perfectly normal thread about people sharing their opinion on which city has the best skyline,
You had your pick on New York which is perfectly reasonable but then you have to criticize about Hong Kong once again, its fine if you want to boast about New York, but why always put us down? You know perfectly well that it would upset a lot of us. You had your go on nominating New York so why didn't you just leave us alone?

But no, you have to go completely off topic talking about how HK is a sl ut and New York is a beautiful woman, that Hong Kong is nothing but a boxyland full of commie blocks? Why does it make u feel good when u put other ppl down?
Since you've never been, it is prefectly reasonable that people who hv lived in/been to Hong Kong telling u that uve misunderstood, then u have to take it all personally;and you're saying that you don't expect a come back after dissing one's beloved city?

I thought I explained quite clear before when you asked me, if you're talking about the culture and the history of the cities which somehow you were comparing with, they are completely different. The Empire State was built before Hong Kong became a city, of course NYC is going to be more mature in many aspects, however I have to say that I'm impressed with how quickly Hong Kong developed, caught up with the rest and now becoming a world-class city in less than half a century and I'm proud of it like you are with New York.

Can u ever compare the Great Wall to Whitehouse? I don't think so. Yet they are both important. It's perfectly reasonable if you want to express yourself or about how you feel with your lack of knowlegethat's why people are trying to tell you what you've misunderstood, I really don't know why you're making all this fuss since you're the one who started all the arguments and you know pretty damn well what to expect so shut your face.
Tokyo
all the way

ricz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #472
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricz
Spooky, seriously, I don't know why you have such an issue about Hong Kong,
you're trying to dis Hong Kong in all the threads possible,
then you would claim you werent intending anything negative. Its not like it has ever done anything bad to you, you havent even been there, or is it pure prejudice?

This was a perfectly normal thread about people sharing their opinion on which city has the best skyline,
You had your pick on New York which is perfectly reasonable but then you have to criticize about Hong Kong once again, its fine if you want to boast about New York, but why always put us down? You know perfectly well that it would upset a lot of us. You had your go on nominating New York so why didn't you just leave us alone?

But no, you have to go completely off topic talking about how HK is a sl ut and New York is a beautiful woman, that Hong Kong is nothing but a boxyland full of commie blocks? Why does it make u feel good when u put other ppl down?
Since you've never been, it is prefectly reasonable that people who hv lived in/been to Hong Kong telling u that uve misunderstood, then u have to take it all personally;and you're saying that you don't expect a come back after dissing one's beloved city?

I thought I explained quite clear before when you asked me, if you're talking about the culture and the history of the cities which somehow you were comparing with, they are completely different. The Empire State was built before Hong Kong became a city, of course NYC is going to be more mature in many aspects, however I have to say that I'm impressed with how quickly Hong Kong developed, caught up with the rest and now becoming a world-class city in less than half a century and I'm proud of it like you are with New York.

Can u ever compare the Great Wall to Whitehouse? I don't think so. Yet they are both important. It's perfectly reasonable if you want to express yourself or about how you feel with your lack of knowlegethat's why people are trying to tell you what you've misunderstood, I really don't know why you're making all this fuss since you're the one who started all the arguments and you know pretty damn well what to expect so shut your face.
It's what you call NY pride

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #473
Spooky873
BANNED

ricz, youre entitled every bit, i respect it, but my beef isnt with Hong Kong, its with the ppl who praise it and bash NYC at the same time. i started going on these sites about 2 years ago, this was the first, and i didnt last long, because i was fed up with all the NYC bashing, so i went to SSP, made about 2600 posts and my account got suspended because i dont take anyones shit, i have no respect for ******* moderators who get a hard-on from suspending accounts, or abusing their privileges. for the most part, i let most slide, but im an honest prick. everyone else says what they feel why the **** cant i? most of all the HK shit was retalitory, not for the sake of it being that, but i was being straight up about it. so i stumbled back onto this, only to find more NYC bashers, saying its too old, too dirty, and especially for its ****** architecture? bashing NYC on architecture? its like bashing bill gates on computers. most of who bashed NYC always ****** compared it to HK, and unfortunately thats what i went after, and in that argument, i have been very straightforward with people on it. if it was anyother city then it wouldve been that, but it is HK. i have nothing against HK, and just as you all have done, i will defend my city. most peoples opinions are taken a little too far and i had to say something about it. take it as you want, but it was purely a response to what ive been dealing with and seeing on these sites over time.

i vouch for my town, and i came out and said what i had to say. i hate that NY vs HK shit, if ppl kept their mouths shut i wouldntve been so straightforward about both.

Last edited by Spooky873; June 18th, 2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #474
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
ricz, youre entitled every bit, i respect it, but my beef isnt with Hong Kong, its with the ppl who praise it and bash NYC at the same time. i started going on these sites about 2 years ago, this was the first, and i didnt last long, because i was fed up with all the NYC bashing, so i went to SSP, made about 2600 posts and my account got suspended because i dont take anyones shit, i have no respect for ******* moderators who get a hard-on from suspending accounts, or abusing their privileges. for the most part, i let most slide, but im an honest prick. everyone else says what they feel why the **** cant i? most of all the HK shit was retalitory, not for the sake of it being that, but i was being straight up about it. so i stumbled back onto this, only to find more NYC bashers, saying its too old, too dirty, and especially for its ****** architecture? bashing NYC on architecture? its like bashing your mother for giving birth to you. most of whom first compared NYC to HK, and in that argument, i have been very straightforward with people on it. i have nothing against HK, and just as you all have done, i will defend my city. most peoples opinions are taken a little too far and i had to say something about it. take it as you want, but it was purely a response to what ive been dealing with and seeing on these sites over time.

i vouch for my town, and i came out and said what i had to say. i hate that NY vs HK shit, if ppl kept their mouths shut i wouldntve been so straightforward about both.
There had been HK VS. NY battles in the past where I even was part of them. Yes we should respect every skyline but we also can't deny that one skyline is better than the other

Old June 18th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #475
Spooky873
BANNED

and thats perfectly fine. you can't please everybody.

Old June 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #476
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

I don't understand how some people like NY and bash HK or vice versa. They are skyscrapers after all. Is it a divergence in what styles they like?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #477
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
I don't understand how some people like NY and bash HK or vice versa. They are skyscrapers after all. Is it a divergence in what styles they like?
I don't understand it either but it's "my skyline is the best and yours suck" mentality

Old June 18th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #478
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I wonder whether people actually think like that when they visit either city. The last thing I had in my mind was what HK's skyline looks like when I snapped these :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old June 18th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #479
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
I wonder whether people actually think like that when they visit either city. The last thing I had in my mind was what HK's skyline looks like when I snapped these :
I actually appreciated both skylines even when I haven't been to NY. But we still have our personal favorites on which is the best.

Old June 18th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #480
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
I actually appreciated both skylines even when I haven't been to NY. But we still have our personal favorites on which is the best.
.. which is why a topic such as this is quite useless for a discussion. Classical people will put New York and Hong Kong on the bottom of their list. Modernist fans might have something different altogether. Hence, how useful is this type of argument anyway? For some of the other topics, there are more objective measures and the issues are narrower, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto