daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2014, 11:28 PM   #4801
AlexNYC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Yeah it is, it has some supertalls in the pipeline, including the Spire which is 600m, which was recently revived. Chicago is filling up the rest of it's empty lots with 40-50 story buildings, but once those start to dwindle, you can expect all new development in key areas to reach for the sky. You know, build up instead of out. Right now, they aren't forced to build way up, but very soon, they will be. Same situation as with NY. Chicago has a lot of land, but everyone wants to build in the Loop area of downtown, so they are going to start building higher and higher. In the meantime, buildings in the range of 150-250m are filling up tons of lots, making all the areas more dense.

But again, there are two 600m proposals, right now.

Another thing is, height isn't everything, I prefer aesthetics. I will always prefer something like the tower Verre to the Hudson Spire.
I guess you can't blame a forumer for not noticing Chicago. There is not a single supertall under construction and iirc only one 200m+ under way. The proposed supertall section isn't that great for Chicago either because the Spire and Post Office developments are far way from construction. In New York alone you have about 6 supertall towers where construction is imminent. There's a difference. And btw the Hudson Spire doesn't have a design yet, that sketch is just a place holder.
AlexNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2014, 11:29 PM   #4802
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Yeah it is, it has some supertalls in the pipeline, including the Spire which is 600m, which was recently revived. Chicago is filling up the rest of it's empty lots with 40-50 story buildings, but once those start to dwindle, you can expect all new development in key areas to reach for the sky. You know, build up instead of out. Right now, they aren't forced to build way up, but very soon, they will be. Same situation as with NY. Chicago has a lot of land, but everyone wants to build in the Loop area of downtown, so they are going to start building higher and higher. In the meantime, buildings in the range of 150-250m are filling up tons of lots, making all the areas more dense.

But again, there are two 600m proposals, right now.

Another thing is, height isn't everything, I prefer aesthetics. I will always prefer something like the tower Verre to the Hudson Spire.
I talked about projects Under Construction not simple proposals , and even with The pire Chicago won't overpass cities like HK and Shanghai and will suffer from a huge competition with the other Asians Cities wich are building dozen of Supertalls .
Just like you I'm a big fan of Density , and when I judge a skyline , the first thing I look at is Number of Highrises/Skyscrapers and Density , architecture for me is quite secondary .
That's why I love Cities like Tokyo and HK wich have Massive amounts of highrises and an incredible density .
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 04:49 AM   #4803
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What on earth makes people believe Chicago has no development?
There is development in Chicago, but compared to most cities in the top 20 it's barely growing at all. Chicago could triple the level of construction activity and it still might not be enough to hold on to its position. I currently have Chicago as the 4th best skyline in the world, but it will surely drop down further (even with Spire and that other mega tall).

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:52 AM   #4804
RobertoBancrofth

Likes (Received): 2891

Balneário Camburiú

WingWing, Ivanator, rockinmoz liked this post
RobertoBancrofth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 06:55 AM   #4805
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There is development in Chicago, but compared to most cities in the top 20 it's barely growing at all. Chicago could triple the level of construction activity and it still might not be enough to hold on to its position. I currently have Chicago as the 4th best skyline in the world, but it will surely drop down further (even with Spire and that other mega tall).
There is a megatall seriously planned for Chicago other than the Spire?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; June 1st, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:04 AM   #4806
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
I talked about projects Under Construction not simple proposals , and even with The pire Chicago won't overpass cities like HK and Shanghai and will suffer from a huge competition with the other Asians Cities wich are building dozen of Supertalls .
Just like you I'm a big fan of Density , and when I judge a skyline , the first thing I look at is Number of Highrises/Skyscrapers and Density , architecture for me is quite secondary .
That's why I love Cities like Tokyo and HK wich have Massive amounts of highrises and an incredible density .
Um... this thread is about 2025, first off Chicago's skyline is already a beast, close to that of Hong Kong or Shanghai's or NYC. Second, no building boom lasts forever, not in NYC nor Asian cities but I do think Chicago will catch up eventually.

For a metro of 9 million it must have the best skyline on earth outside of Dubai (A metro of only ~2.8 million)
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:15 AM   #4807
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Um... this thread is about 2025, first off Chicago's skyline is already a beast, close to that of Hong Kong or Shanghai's or NYC.
The New York skyline is twice as big as that of Chicago, and Hong Kong statistically is even bigger.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:19 AM   #4808
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
There is a megatall seriously planned for Chicago other than the Spire?
I'm not sure, but I just noticed that Post Office Development thread is awfully busy lately. I didn't bother reading the whole page to find out any more.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by QuantumX; June 1st, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:27 AM   #4809
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm not sure, but I just noticed that Post Office Development thread is awfully busy lately. I didn't bother reading the whole page to find out any more.
I know that was supposed to be a megatall at one point, but not sure what it is now.

My photo threads:

Old June 1st, 2014, 08:27 AM   #4810
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6739

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoBancrofth View Post
Balneário Camburiú

Wow under rated skyline spotted

Here is. Busan

Marine City_HYUN_131114_이기오륙_0013 by Shining Kim, on Flickr

민락수변공원 by 想像의 Photo 2.0, on Flickr

Ivanator, rockinmoz liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:29 AM   #4811
WingWing

Pinnacle,Duxton by kinnith93, on Flickr

Another view of the City from Textile Centre... by williamcho, on Flickr

The Concourse... by williamcho, on Flickr

NewAsia Bar @ Swissotel, The Stamford by williamcho, on Flickr

rockinmoz liked this post

Last edited by WingWing; June 1st, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM   #4812
jimPUNKZ
jack of spades

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoBancrofth View Post
Balneário Camburiú

What city?

RobertoBancrofth liked this post
jimPUNKZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:55 AM   #4813
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

DUBAI...FOREVER

Old June 1st, 2014, 11:33 AM   #4814
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
The New York skyline is twice as big as that of Chicago, and Hong Kong statistically is even bigger.
Chicago's strength is it's architecture, it;s gotta be the most aesthetically beautiful skyline. It already has a skyline with 1,300 buildings that stretches several miles along the lake. You could say there's a point where there's enough buildings, and it's more about filling the rest of the lots in the city with high rise development. Of course, the dwindling spaces will lead to them building skyscrapers in most of the lots in the next decade.

It really comes down to whether you prefer height, or density, or architecture. I focus more on the latter which has a lot to do with my ratings. Because of this, we'll all have different opinions, and that's exactly how it should be.
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:52 AM   #4815
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Chicago's strength is it's architecture, it;s gotta be the most aesthetically beautiful skyline.
This point I agree with.

My photo threads:

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:27 PM   #4816
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by firoz bharmal View Post
Awesome photo. Wish Dubai was more dense than it is, the downtown has too many empty plots. Unfortunately Dubai doesn't have a big population so there's no demand to build numerous residential highrises like East Asian cities, that's why it will look empty for decades. To be a real skyscrapercity, a city needs to have several hundred buildings in the 100-150 meter range which Dubai don't have

WingWing, Andre Goth liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:25 PM   #4817
WingWing

Funnily this is the ranking of skyline in Emporis

http://www.emporis.com/statistics/skyline-ranking

# City Population Area size Number of buildings Number of points
1 Hong Kong 7,061,200 1,053 km˛ 7,791 133,426
2 New York City 8,336,697 800 km˛ 6,041 41,284
3 Singapore 5,312,400 710 km˛ 4,486 21,636
4 Seoul 10,581,728 616 km˛ 3,001 20,670
5 Dubai 2,104,895 3,885 km˛ 651 20,135
6 Chicago 2,714,856 589 km˛ 1,153 19,978
7 Săo Paulo 11,316,149 1,523 km˛ 5,706 17,614
8 Shanghai 17,836,133 6,639 km˛ 1,010 16,133
9 Bangkok 8,280,925 1,569 km˛ 913 15,419
10 Tokyo 8,967,665 621 km˛ 2,767 14,846
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:10 PM   #4818
Khat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Bangkok old city and modern city

WingWing, Ivanator, rockinmoz, koolio liked this post

Last edited by Khat; June 1st, 2014 at 09:18 PM.
Khat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:14 PM   #4819
Khat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

1 Shanghi
2 Hongkong
3 Newyork

chinesehorse liked this post
Khat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:23 PM   #4820
WingWing

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto