daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #5141
Khat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Wow that the Best skyline of the world
Khat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #5142
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
They're right, guys! A lot of these pictures posted are not even in the running for World's Best Skyline. It's why I don't post any Miami pics. Some of the pictures are great, but they really don't belong here.

NanoMini, you're going to have to hold back on some this stuff you post and repsect the thread or I'll have to start deleting pictures.
I understand why posting too many photos of one city is problematic but I appreciate diversity. Seeing endless photos of New York, Shanghai, Chicago, Hong Kong, and Dubai gets kind of boring after a while.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Dito Roso liked this post
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #5143
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
I understand why posting too many photos of one city is problematic but I appreciate diversity. Seeing endless photos of New York, Shanghai, Chicago, Hong Kong, and Dubai gets kind of boring after a while.
Well, we could just close the thread. There aren't many skylines in the world that can vie for World's Best Skyline. I think in the United States, New York and Chicago are the only two. Miami could be there in the next 10 years. London has a lot planned and a lot will make it to construction because it's London, but that's another 10 years off as well. I would rather just close the thread than have it populated with small skylines.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #5144
Khat
BANNED

[QUOTE=Festival;115125513]
B A N G K O K

/QUOTE]

Bangkok the Best of the world

Sahathorn Nirushtook

little universe liked this post
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #5145
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
How could you have possibly left out Bangkok?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

MDguy, ChuckScraperMiami#1, jimPUNKZ liked this post
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:08 AM   #5146
Ram6S
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post

Bangkok .

wow Bangkok so nice
Ram6S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #5147
[email protected]
[harinawa maharlika]

Likes (Received): 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
I agree.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

I could go on, but I won't. Please refrain from the WORLD'S BEST skyline thread. Thank you.
Huh?
Mabalacat- Officially the Philippines 141st City!

Last edited by [email protected]; June 24th, 2014 at 08:07 AM.
dadiv@n está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #5148
Khat
BANNED

Love pic so much thank you for posting
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #5149
Yohja

Likes (Received): 26

Top 10 List

Personally, I'd say something like this, give or take a few swaps:

1. Hong Kong: Along with Rio, Hong Kong has one of the best possible natural settings on planet Earth. The combination of the bay and mountains is definitely the envy of many. I love the split from the waterway as well, so that you can live down town and still get an amazing view. I'd also say that the Bank of China tower is one of my favourite, if not absolute favourite, towers in the world, and without it, Hong Kong wouldn't be nearly as iconic as it is right now. Hong Kong is arguably the king of high rise density due to natural constraints and geopolitical circumstances, which, in turn, leads to a vibrant and electric atmosphere, all the while not sacrificing its green spaces. Absolutely fascinating, futuristic, and fabulous skyline, definitely worthy of top spot.

2. New York: Often referred to as "the City", NYC is well worthy of this nickname. With its great public transportation, ultra high density housing, and vibrant street life, New York is definitely world class. The mix of old and new architecture is something many of the new and coming booming cities simply cannot recreate, and definitely solidifies New York's top spot as one of the architecture capitals of the world. Although I am not a fan of the Freedom Tower, I do think that most of the new proposals are absolutely great and provide a much-needed variation to the typical concrete/grey overlay so often associated with New York. The addition of supertalls is long overdue and I am pleasantly surprised by New York's very recent boom in very bold and aesthetic new proposals. New York has both size, density, and quality architecture, well meritorious of the number two spot.

3. Shanghai: This economic powerhouse has a beautiful allure to its name, one that is rarely matched by any other metropolis. To me, it also boasts the most beautiful core of any city in the world, with the Oriental Pearl being the proverbial cherry on top. Hell, even the handful of 250m beasts look insignificant in Lujiazui. An elegant river bend, an abundance of historical jewels, and an ocean of skyscrapers all add to the iconic downtown core that is famous the world over. The animated and ultra-dynamic centrepiece is the heart of Shanghai, showcasing its fun, futuristic, and fast-pace lifestyle.

4. Guangzhou: I think this city is often very underrated in these types of rankings. Its CBD is nothing to scoff at, soon to boast seven supertall towers all in near vicinity of one another as well as an elegant megatall structure. Each of these supertalls is also uniquely exciting without being too garish. Upon the completion of the imposing CTF, Guangzhou will be home to one of the most imposing facade the world has to offer. The core is also extremely well planned, having museums, theatres, and convention centres spread all along its main avenue. This first tier city has a rich Cantonese history as well as a bright looking future as tons of new proposals are sprouting up like wild shoots. Would love to give Guangzhou a visit some day, and try out this world class CBD for a street level tour.

5. Chicago Birthplace of the skyscraper, Chicago comes in at number five. In terms of quality, Chicago is nearly unmatched, housing styles from nearly ever architectural school of though since its birth. I have immense appreciation for the Sears Tower (or should I say Willis) which I find to be one of the best international style buildings there is (which is a style I am particularly fond of). I also love the Aon centre as well as the new and sleek Trump Tower. The river is incredibly well adorned, and the street views are nearly unmatched, as a high priority on street-level aesthetics have always been well emphasized. One criticism that prevents Chicago from ranking higher is that it has a fairly rapid drop off from world class density to suburban sprawl, unlike the cities which I have placed above it. Aside from this minor setback, I am confident in awarding Chicago with the number one spot when it comes to building quality and diversity out of any other major city I can think of. Congratulations Chicago.

6. Shenzhen: And here we have the young prodigy, star child of all SSC members alike, it's Shenzhen. I have no inkling of a doubt that in the years to come, Shenzhen will move up to the ranks and reach the podium, potentially vying for the very top. The construction here is unparalleled, even on the scale of Chinese cities, and it will soon be a force to be reckoned with. As of now (at least until Ping An is completed) I must put it behind Guangzhou simply due to the wide spaces that separate its many CBDs. Of course, soon, with Qianhai, Luohu, Futian, Nanshan et al. (the list goes on) all in bursting construction phase, the Shenzhen skyline will start to merge together. Until then, I eagerly await the completion of Ping An, which is my favourite U/C at the moment. I will be visiting Shenzhen soon as I have certain family there as well, and will make sure to experience this history in the making. Right now, in its infancy stage, I can only award Shenzhen the sixth spot, for it does in fact have a beautiful setting with mountains and lush greenery, beautiful night lighting, and ultra high density, but no more, since it does lack some diversity and global distinction. But soon, and I cannot wait, Shenzhen will make its way up and bless us with a never before seen skyline of grand proportions.

7. Dubai: Now, this place is the undisputed king of height. It is also the capital of gaudiness and excess, which has garnered the criticism of quite a few urban enthusiasts. Each and every design that has sprung up has been thrilling on its own right, but clashing in context. Dubai very much needs some "filler" material and surrounding density to really become a word class city, as it now acts more as a vacation spot or side show attraction rather than a living space. Individually, many structures are amazing pieces of architecture (my favourites being the Emirates Office/Hotel Towers), but a city is not a collection of fancy buildings, but rather a cohesive and integrated organism. Dubai, to me it seems, lacks this unity factor that most other cities have, and that is why I decided to rank it seventh. It does have amazing height, I'll give it that, but there's life missing from the picture, and until that happens, Dubai will always be lacking in my eyes.

8. Kuala Lumpur: KL is a city of many backgrounds and diverse ethnicities, and a quick trip in the city with an attentive ear will only serve as confirmation. You can hear Cantonese, Malay, English, Hokkien, Tamil, and many other dialects everywhere you go, and this diversity is very well reflected in the city's architecture. Obviously there is no need to mention the Petronas Towers, which have dominated the skyline for many years now, but it is worth appreciating for its cultural design and world wide recognizability. Also very elegant is the Menara Kuala Lumpur, which has a great deal of cultural character as well as imposing height. I must also give recognition to Menara Maybank, being one of my favourite buildings in the world as well. One critique I have of KL is that it is very patchy at times, with areas of spotty density, which is not necessarily a bad thing. KL has managed to harbour a very prosperous amount of green life and breathable areas. This probably contributes to why I always find pictures taken from a distanceto be the best representations of Kuala Lumpur. The best views of KL are from afar, with the right amount of mist flowing down the mountains, giving the city a surreal, mystical feel that evokes otherworldly fantasy.

9. Toronto: I may leak some homerism here, but I'll try my best to suppress the urges. Disclaimer: although as of 2014, I rank Toronto as ninth, the great building boom has lead me to hopeful conclusions that soon, in the decades to follow, Toronto will pull ahead and place itself among the very best world cities, and I can only wait. Being a fan of international style buildings, Toronto is absolutely stunning to me. The original down town core is one of my favourites despite no single building sporting extreme or unique characteristics like many other cities. The towers of the Big 5 Banks are all unique and are the heart of the city, with the TD Plaza being one of my favourite collection of buildings there can be. I also have relatives in this wonderful city, and have had the great opportunity to visit many times, and each time the skyline has thickened and risen a bit more. I do wish, however, that the trend in monotonous blue-green glass, balcony residential towers would vary a bit more, as I am not willing to sacrifice Toronto's wonderful quality of architecture simply for the sake of uncontrolled density. The newer proposals have impressed me however, and paint a promising picture. Of course, there is no need to mention the beautiful CN tower, which has been iconic to the city for as long as anyone can remember, and will live on for years to come. A very close brother to Toronto would be Chicago which shares many similar characteristics, and hopefully, Toronto can add some supertalls to the mix and densify a bit, and we'll be golden.

10. Tokyo: And here lies the largest metropolis the world has to offer. I'm confident that if the threat of earthquakes didn't exist, Tokyo's skyline would be a whole different picture. But alas, such is not the case. Despite this limitation, Tokyo is the king of lowrise density and the vastest seas of urban area. It does also have its fair share of skyscrapers in the sub 300m range, but these are unfortunately spread around the city and not as central as many those of many other cities. Each of these clusters would make huge cities on their own right, but compared to the sheer size of Tokyo, they are merely ripples in a torrent of waves. I find Tokyo looks best as night, as the light action is incredible. During the day, there is some certain grey monotony which takes away from the beautiful culture Tokyo espouses and embraces: such as all the street level neon signs and unique cultural representations. For a city of its size, Tokyo is definitely a role model others should strive to mimic: it has amazing public transportation, sanitary services, and low crime rates, it is truly a marvel of urban planning. However, it does lack in height and in any instantly recognizable clusters of buildings to call its own, which is why I must sadly relegate it to tenth place. This does not take away from the legendary status of this gigantic metropolis.

And thus concludes my brief top 10 list of best skylines as of 2014. I would like to give a honourable mention to Singapore for one of the most cohesive and elegant cores I have seen, and I would have liked nothing more than to be able to include it on this list. Of course, this ranking will not fit with many of your perspectives, and that is perfectly fine by me. That's what makes things so interesting and it's exactly why I wrote this write-up: so that I could discuss my points with you and try to share some of your views. I tried to keep my individual descriptions relatively short, but provide a little bit of general depth as to how I came to my choices; I feel this is better than simply giving a list. I also tried to keep the images more refreshing and less clichéd than usual, just to provide new perspectives. I would love to discuss about any of these rankings or about any individual cities on their own, so please do post your criticisms and I'd love to have a talk. Cheers.
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #5150
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6741

Bangkok member reply to themselves? Its like talking to the wall, hey bkk nice, it was great, nice photo lol

Edit*: himself not themselves

kevo123, jimPUNKZ liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #5151
akif90

Likes (Received): 4523

akif90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #5152
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

NEW YORK

Empire Sunset by DFiveRed, on Flickr
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5153
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Bangkok member reply to themselves? Its like talking to the wall, hey bkk nice, it was great, nice photo lol

Edit*: himself not themselves
As you can see, they, him, it or whatever is gone.

My photo threads:

Old June 24th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #5154
kevo123
Indonesia

Likes (Received): 21216

yay it's about time!

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||

djole13 liked this post
kevo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #5155
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31768

Shanghai, China

DSC_1336.jpg by Dr.BT, on Flickr
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #5156
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31768

Quote:
That is what this thread is for. If you get bored of looking at the best skylines in the world, then simply visit the other threads in this subforum which showcase all other skylines. Thanks.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #5157
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6741

Singapore

Dramatic by Samuel.Dai, on Flickr

Marina Bay by kinnith93, on Flickr

Cityscape View from the Link Bridge at Singapore Sports Hub by williamcho, on Flickr

City Gallery by LINYIHAN, on Flickr

CotOnFire by draken413o, on Flickr
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #5158
EMArg

Likes (Received): 30265

San Francisco is one of the best too in my opinion:

Argentina - Brazil - Chile - Colombia - Italy - Panama - Perú - Uruguay
Boston - New York City - California

Nubian_Warrior liked this post
EMArg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #5159
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I've lived there, and I've been back twice since then, but never as a photographer. That I must do!

My photo threads:

EMArg, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #5160
Phaleo

Likes (Received): 23

skylines with no iconic towers are not the best skyline....no need spamming this thread with Bangkok and Manila photos.

New York/Hong Kong/Chicago/Dubai...Singapore is one of the world's best skyline.

Neungz liked this post
Phaleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto