daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #5461
JulyT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

BANGKOK

BANGKOK SKYLINE

KlausDiggy, Mutal liked this post
JulyT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #5462
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Singapore probably ranked 5th after chicago
What about Toronto or Dubai? I think they are good runner ups for 5th also.

Last edited by JuanPaulo; July 28th, 2014 at 10:39 PM.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #5463
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Hong Kong, China

Market by Leung Ching Yau Alex, on Flickr

Ivanator, WingWing liked this post
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #5464
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyT View Post
BANGKOK

BANGKOK SKYLINE
Another alt id of a troll. Do they ever stop?

WingWing liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #5465
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Toronto, Canada

A different Toronto skyline: from Leslie Spit by mlaudisa, on Flickr

Ivanator, wino, hunser, DW98, bodegavendetta and 1 others liked this post
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #5466
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

I really like this picture of Toronto. The skyline looks very extensive and there is a strong "heart beat" profile to the skyline from this angle. The new tall towers are really making a difference.
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #5467
DW98

Likes (Received): 96

Great photo

Toronto's a fantastic looking city.
DW98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #5468
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6744

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
What about Toronto or Dubai? I think they are good runner ups for 5th also.
Yes they are as well.

Think the same goes to KL and Guangzhou.

Just that everyone has view. I dont mind with any cities listed above as ranked 5
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #5469
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Yes they are as well.

Think the same goes to KL and Guangzhou.

Just that everyone has view. I dont mind with any cities listed above as ranked 5
I hear you... to me the top 4 is very definitive, but always have a hard time determining the 5th place.
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #5470
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
I really like this picture of Toronto. The skyline looks very extensive and there is a strong "heart beat" profile to the skyline from this angle. The new tall towers are really making a difference.
It's taken from 'Leslie Spit'. Those vantage points from the southeast (like this one) and southwest are the most representative as they take into account most of the skyline. You see the breadth from north to south, but also some of its width from east to west.

It's nice to see tall towers like AURA beginning to go up outside the CBD and agree that they're changing the skyline dramatically. Towers that go up in the CBD get lost in the crowd and in some cases they get hidden altogether. Trump is 282m and you can barely see it.

I think we'll see equally dramatic improvements to the skyline as skyscraper development now moves to these new areas of the core.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #5471
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's taken from 'Leslie Spit'. Those vantage points from the southeast (like this one) and southwest are the most representative as they take into account most of the skyline. You see the breadth from north to south, but also some of its width from east to west.

It's nice to see tall towers like AURA beginning to go up outside the CBD and agree that they're changing the skyline dramatically. Towers that go up in the CBD get lost in the crowd and in some cases they get hidden altogether. Trump is 282m and you can barely see it.

I think we'll see equally dramatic improvements to the skyline as skyscraper development now moves to these new areas of the core.
That's because the roof is 237m, and the top is pretty thin. But yes, Toronto is doing pretty well construction - wise.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #5472
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out the location where the photo is taken from. I always like the skyline views from those offshore islands (peninsulas?). I wish the CBD was more integrated with the lakefront and the islands. When I visited Toronto, I found that the city looks inwards which I thought was quite a contrast from its nearby cousin Chicago which instead looks "out" into the lake.

The new buildings like Aura are definitely changing the skyline for good. As you point out, they create new focal points instead of getting lost within the the dense mass of the CBD.
Old July 29th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #5473
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Chicago, USA

Sunrise by Aurimas Adomavicius, on Flickr

Ivanator, bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by JuanPaulo; July 29th, 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #5474
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the location where the photo is taken from. I always like the skyline views from those offshore islands (peninsulas?). I wish the CBD was more integrated with the lakefront and the islands. When I visited Toronto, I found that the city looks inwards which I thought was quite a contrast from its nearby cousin Chicago which instead looks "out" into the lake.

The new buildings like Aura are definitely changing the skyline for good. As you point out, they create new focal points instead of getting lost within the the dense mass of the CBD.
Cities the world over used to look away from their water ways. They were places where heavy industry was located and places where raw sewage was pumped. Toronto was a typical industrial city in this regard. You'd be shocked how industrial our water front was as recently as 1980. People turned their backs on rivers as they were seen as sources of disease (which they were) and Toronto even paved over some of them to make way for housing, etc.

It's only in the last few decades that cities de-industrialized and made attempts to reclaim these areas for people. We now view waterfronts and rivers as desirable and/or tourism assets. It may surprise many, but Toronto was for most of its history a heavily blue collar industrial town and only started turning back towards its water ways about 15 years ago. We are stitching the city back to the waterfront bit by bit. The transformation has been dramatic so far, but it will take another decade to fully reverse 150 years of neglect/abuse.

Perhaps Chicago was never as industrial as Toronto or started the reclamation much earlier? Btw, the Toronto Islands are actual islands. The Leslie Spit is a peninsula. I believe some of it is actually dirt excavated from when we built our subway.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; July 30th, 2014 at 03:57 AM.
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #5475
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
That's because the roof is 237m, and the top is pretty thin.
That's part of it, but even it it were fatter and 282m to the roof it wouldn't have made much of an impact to our skyline. Trump has 218m Bay-Adelaide across the street to the north, 275m Scotia Plaza next to it to the east, a 298m building across the street to the west, and a 239m building half a block away to the south. It's hemmed in on all sides. You'd only see a tiny fraction of it. From the west it would be completely hidden. The CBD is also very dense, most of the buildings use their entire lot lines.

Old July 30th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #5476
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Perhaps Chicago was never as industrial as Toronto or started the reclamation much earlier? Btw, the Toronto Islands are actual islands. The Leslie Spit is a peninsula. I believe some of it is actually dirt excavated from when we built our subway.
I personally don't know much but I think three factors are at play here:

1. I think Chicago never had a major freeway separating the CBD from the waterfront. Chicago did have a major railway line, but most of it has now been put underground thus allowing direct access to the waterfront.

2. From historic pictures that I have seen, I think Chicago started revitalizing [converting industrial areas to recreational] the waterfront in the CBD area much earlier than Toronto.

3. Many of the major industrial waterfront areas in Chicago were historically located south of the city, and extended to the State of Indiana [Gary, Indiana].

Ivanator liked this post
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #5477
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

My top 5 in no particular order

Shanghai, China

hunser, Ivanator, Avangard-55 liked this post
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #5478
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Chicago, USA

DSC_0311 by carpe|noctem, on Flickr

hunser, Ivanator, Avangard-55 liked this post
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #5479
isaidso
the new republic

I think you hit the nail on the head with those 3 points.

JuanPaulo liked this post
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #5480
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

New York City, USA

Manhattan @ Sunset, Elevated view from Brooklyn by Daniel Portalatin, on Flickr

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto