daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #641
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,926
Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Between the 2-IFC and BoC, the later is more the landmark scraper for HK.

Ok the 2-IFC is easier seen on the HK waterfront and has a unique location. It is also taller than the BoC but the BoC is more symbolic as an HK scraper.

On the other hand, Central Plaza was the tallest in HK before the 2-IFC was finished but didn't get much recognition compared to the other two.
Central Plaza's location in Wanchai actually makes it less landmark than the other buildings even though it was the tallest before 2 IFC. Wan Chai was a later addition to the central business district, and Central has traditionally been the heart of Hong Kong's services economy. Hence, Central Plaza never got the fame despite its height. Its Chinese name ('Central Centre') is reminiscent of the desire to shift the business district to Wanchai, which never really happened.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #642
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,446
Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Central Plaza's location in Wanchai actually makes it less landmark than the other buildings even though it was the tallest before 2 IFC. Wan Chai was a later addition to the central business district, and Central has traditionally been the heart of Hong Kong's services economy. Hence, Central Plaza never got the fame despite its height. Its Chinese name ('Central Centre') is reminiscent of the desire to shift the business district to Wanchai, which never really happened.
Wanchai's (waterfront) CBD has developed since the early 80s. Unfortunately one of the reason why it failed to become a prime CBD because of its lack of access to public transportation. Central Plaza did had some records when it was completed. It was the tallest building in Asia and was the 4th tallest in the world. But alot of people look at it as a modern or HK version of the ESB
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

NijmegenCity liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #643
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,926
Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Wanchai's (waterfront) CBD has developed since the early 80s. Unfortunately one of the reason why it failed to become a prime CBD because of its lack of access to public transportation. Central Plaza did had some records when it was completed. It was the tallest building in Asia and was the 4th tallest in the world. But alot of people look at it as a modern or HK version of the ESB
Hong Kongers don't normally use New York place and building names to refer to our own buildings. I have never heard of anyone refer to Central Plaza as a local version of the ESB. In fact, Central Plaza was not a major hub for the financial services industry. As finance is the main pillar of HK's services economy, that was a major reason why Wan Chai did not take off as a real competitive threat to Central. The big banks - HSBC, Standard Chartered, and the Bank of China - all stayed in Central.

Wan Chai is actually well-accessible by transport. Cross-harbour tunnel buses from the main crossing have to go through Wan Chai before reaching Central, while there is a pedestrian bridge that extends from the tram line / MTR stop to Central Plaza. Thus, I don't buy transport as the reason why Wan Chai never made a credible threat to Central.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #644
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,446
Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Hong Kongers don't normally use New York place and building names to refer to our own buildings. I have never heard of anyone refer to Central Plaza as a local version of the ESB. In fact, Central Plaza was not a major hub for the financial services industry. As finance is the main pillar of HK's services economy, that was a major reason why Wan Chai did not take off as a real competitive threat to Central. The big banks - HSBC, Standard Chartered, and the Bank of China - all stayed in Central.

Wan Chai is actually well-accessible by transport. Cross-harbour tunnel buses from the main crossing have to go through Wan Chai before reaching Central, while there is a pedestrian bridge that extends from the tram line / MTR stop to Central Plaza. Thus, I don't buy transport as the reason why Wan Chai never made a credible threat to Central.
Yes but it's still quite a walk. From the tram or the MTR, you still have the cross the footbridge to reach the CBD unlike in Central the tram or MTR routes passes through it.

Most of the major banks remained in Central but a few moved to Wan Chai like Societe Generale. They moved from Landmark to III Pacific Place.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

NijmegenCity liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #645
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,926
Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Yes but it's still quite a walk. From the tram or the MTR, you still have the cross the footbridge to reach the CBD unlike in Central the tram or MTR routes passes through it.

Most of the major banks remained in Central but a few moved to Wan Chai like Societe Generale. They moved from Landmark to III Pacific Place.
2 IFC is actually quite a walk from Central MTR, and not everyone takes the subway line into Hong Kong Station. In fact, I don't think there is much of a difference distance-wise between 2 IFC and Central Station and Central Plaza and Wan Chai Station.

Even established buildings such as HSBC and the Bank of China are still a block or two at least from the MTR entrance.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #646
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,446
Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
2 IFC is actually quite a walk from Central MTR, and not everyone takes the subway line into Hong Kong Station. In fact, I don't think there is much of a difference distance-wise between 2 IFC and Central Station and Central Plaza and Wan Chai Station.

Even established buildings such as HSBC and the Bank of China are still a block or two at least from the MTR entrance.
The only difference is you can walk underground from the main part of Central to the 2-IFC. Also, there's a large bus terminal right under Exchange Square which is right next to the 2-IFC. Same thing though with Wan Chai right infront of the Great Eagle Centre.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

NijmegenCity liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #647
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,926
Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
The only difference is you can walk underground from the main part of Central to the 2-IFC. Also, there's a large bus terminal right under Exchange Square which is right next to the 2-IFC. Same thing though with Wan Chai right infront of the Great Eagle Centre.
Geographical similarities are irrelevant in explaining why Central remains the financial hub of Hong Kong while Wan Chai is still the secondary part of the CBD.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #648
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Geographical similarities are irrelevant in explaining why Central remains the financial hub of Hong Kong while Wan Chai is still the secondary part of the CBD.
Central was established earlier and is more 'flash'. Wan Chai, aside from the area around the Megahope (?) tower to Central Plaza still looks old and worn down.
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #649
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,446
Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Central was established earlier and is more 'flash'. Wan Chai, aside from the area around the Megahope (?) tower to Central Plaza still looks old and worn down.
You mean Hopewell Centre. The area around it isn't much of a CBD
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

NijmegenCity liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #650
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,926
Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
You mean Hopewell Centre. The area around it isn't much of a CBD
Hopewell Centre used to be Hong Kong's tallest building until the Bank of China. That area is still a bustling residential area with an outdoor wet market. There are a couple of commercial redevelopment projects nearby, with the Megatower being the most ambitious and controversial.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #651
Skyprince
Asian boi
 
Skyprince's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 7,941

Manila looks very fantastic ! I heard that it is divided into 5 different `mega-towns` in which Quezon City is not included. It is surely on the World`s Top 10 list.
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #652
FrancisXavier
long live...
 
FrancisXavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,579
Likes (Received): 4

Actually, Metro Manila is composed of 14 cities and 2 municipalities.. which includes, Manila City, Makati City, Pasig City, Quezon City, Parañaque City, Pasay City, Muntinlupa City, Taguig City, Mandaluyong City, Caloocan City, Malabon City, Marikina City, Navotas City, San Juan, and Pateros.. All of these are components of Metro Manila which is also known as National Capital Region(NCR)

a repost:

__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
FrancisXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #653
kevinb
I am me.
 
kevinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Naga / Makati / Taguig
Posts: 2,584
Likes (Received): 351

You forgot to add Valenzuela City and Las Piñas City. And Navotas is not yet a city. So there are 14 cities and 3 municipalities in Metro Manila.
__________________
Naga City: Bicol's Boom Town


NijmegenCity liked this post
kevinb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #654
Kngkyle
Registered User
 
Kngkyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Orlando
Posts: 610
Likes (Received): 21

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr


Chicago.
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #655
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,446
Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Hopewell Centre used to be Hong Kong's tallest building until the Bank of China. That area is still a bustling residential area with an outdoor wet market. There are a couple of commercial redevelopment projects nearby, with the Megatower being the most ambitious and controversial.
Yes it was. BTW, any images of the Megatower. I heard before that there was supposed to be a 70 plus storey hotel planned right close to the Hopewell but never went to effect. I'm not sure if that's the Megatower though.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

NijmegenCity liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #656
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,926
Likes (Received): 18188

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Yes it was. BTW, any images of the Megatower. I heard before that there was supposed to be a 70 plus storey hotel planned right close to the Hopewell but never went to effect. I'm not sure if that's the Megatower though.
Megatower renderings and news here : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=275361
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #657
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
You mean Hopewell Centre. The area around it isn't much of a CBD
No I mean Megahope tower or whatever it's called. It's about 150 paces west of Luk Kwok.

Quote:
Hopewell Centre used to be Hong Kong's tallest building until the Bank of China. That area is still a bustling residential area with an outdoor wet market. There are a couple of commercial redevelopment projects nearby, with the Megatower being the most ambitious and controversial.
Exactly ~ hardly a place to position your central business district unless you tear it all down and start up?
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM   #658
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D
 
QatPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Doha, Qatar ; La Trinidad - Baguio
Posts: 3,133
Likes (Received): 11

Doha, Qatar.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr


Not quite good yet.
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #659
pwalker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Native Seattleite
Posts: 1,438
Likes (Received): 66

Beautiful Chicago shots. It's gonna be even better in '08 with Trump.

Dubai wins my admiration for sheer "balls" (can I say that here?)...the man-made island is amazing! But, the downside is there is NO history to this skyline. It all has happened in the past decade! I really appreciate cities that have a history of skyscrapers. Makes me wonder what people thought of NYC and Chi-town in the early 20th century. Were they impressed, or did they think they were outrageous?
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post

Last edited by pwalker; March 25th, 2007 at 07:35 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #660
Kaiser
Herr
 
Kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: World
Posts: 613
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr


Chicago.
Stunning!
__________________
Never judge a book by its movie. -- J. W. Eagan

NijmegenCity liked this post
Kaiser no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium