daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #6601
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6739

[QUOTE=Nick Holmes;120388310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
may i know why san francisco and LA? Afaik i think dubai and guangzhou should score better than these 2 cities.

Duibai got many supertalls but most of them look a bit tacky imo. GZ has a good skyline with several supertalls but I still prefer the californian skylines.
If u notice especially last pic of dubai in this thread, their spires makes me lost count lol

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #6602
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
No, it was Bangkok. My original (for this argument) post 6586 was a direct response to post 6555, which our good friend Quantum seemed to back up in post 6558. My only point is that a skyline that size has a right to be shown on this thread, whether or not it's among your favorites. That's where you jumped in with your Tokyo and Chicago comparison. It really had nothing to do with my argument, unless you wholeheartedly believed that Tokyo wasn't thread worthy and would take steps to prevent it from being shown here.

I'm not being exclusive so much as saying that any skyline of a certain size has a right to be shown here, whether most people like it or not. Top 20 isn't a "cut-off" point. I'm just saying that nobody has the right to exclude a skyline that large from this thread. I certainly wouldn't complain about 21-25 being shown here.
My Tokyo - Chicago comment was meant to show that the ranking in that study doesn't necessarily correspond to what results in the best looking skyline. That is the ONLY point I was making and have NEVER suggested that skylines like Bangkok, Dubai, or Tokyo don't belong here. I've even listed all 3 in my top 10 before.

Your views on this seem to mirror mine almost exactly that's why I was confused why you were directing those comments at me.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #6603
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Agree guangzhou is second best in china and definitely top 10 in this world
Guangzhou is firmly in my top 10 as well. 2nd in china? It's quite a big smaller than Hong Kong and Shenzhen but do like it better. I currently have China's top 5 as follows (Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chongqing), but you could make an argument for Guangzhou being higher than 4th.

It looks superb.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #6604
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Your views on this seem to mirror mine almost exactly that's why I was confused why you were directing those comments at me.
We do agree. I also agree that the site absolutely does not tell the whole story. From my point of view, you interjected yourself into the discussion, which was spawned from somebody saying that Singapore deserved to be shown, while Bangkok should essentially be banned from this thread.

My argument was, from a pure numbers standpoint, the 9th largest skyline in the world 100% has the right to be shown on this thread, whether or not people find it as pleasing as other skylines. You'll notice I didn't rank Bangkok in my personal Top 10.

By the way, it's close, but I'd probably slot Toronto at 11. I think its biggest challengers in the coming years are currently the slightly smaller skylines of Beijing, Nanjing, and Tianjin. Bangkok's U/C supertall will also warrant it another look. But I think Toronto has that nice "classic" skyline, with density, cohesion, and a strong set of office towers in particular that keeps it above those cities. (as well as the larger skylines of Seoul, Manila, and Jakarta)
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #6605
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31712

Hong Kong, China

Hong-Kong-20141217064 by La Caboche, on Flickr

WingWing, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #6606
WingWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Guangzhou is firmly in my top 10 as well. 2nd in china? It's quite a big smaller than Hong Kong and Shenzhen but do like it better. I currently have China's top 5 as follows (Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Chongqing), but you could make an argument for Guangzhou being higher than 4th.

It looks superb.
I forgot HK in china lol

ok to me guangzhou 3rd best followed by shenzhen and beijing/nanjing. (somehow dont like chongqing skyline haha)

by the way whats that building under construction in hk pic? it seems huge and going to be a supertall
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:03 AM   #6607
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Chongqing has a much more awesome natural setting to frame its skyline than either Guangzhou or Shenzhen.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:14 AM   #6608
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22538

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Chongqing has a much more awesome natural setting to frame its skyline than either Guangzhou or Shenzhen.
yeah, but it also seems to be polluted at times more than those two cities combined. I would still put its skyline over Shenzhen for the time being though. Once Shenzhen develops some more it'll easily surpass Chongqing.

WingWing liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; January 6th, 2015 at 05:22 AM.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #6609
WingWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
yeah, but it also seems to be polluted at times more than those two cities combined. I would still put its skyline over Shenzhen for the time being though. Once Shenzhen develops some more it'll easily surpass Chongqing.

Agree the river seems like polluted and it has some buildings that looks like HK, not well maintained

Maybe give them a few years time to challenge the top 10 and eventually top 5

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #6610
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

NYC

5Jan2014 (1) by ShellyS, on Flickr

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #6611
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
From my point of view, you interjected yourself into the discussion, which was spawned from somebody saying that Singapore deserved to be shown, while Bangkok should essentially be banned from this thread.
Oh I see. Things can get misconstrued so easily, but glad we've cleared things up.

Quote:
By the way, it's close, but I'd probably slot Toronto at 11. I think its biggest challengers in the coming years are currently the slightly smaller skylines of Beijing, Nanjing, and Tianjin. Bangkok's U/C supertall will also warrant it another look. But I think Toronto has that nice "classic" skyline, with density, cohesion, and a strong set of office towers in particular that keeps it above those cities. (as well as the larger skylines of Seoul, Manila, and Jakarta)
There's not much separating skylines in 6th-16th spot imo. I have Toronto a little higher up than you in 7th but the current level of construction will have to be maintained if it's to stay in my top 10. Things do look promising though. Toronto currently has 204 buildings 100m+ with another 55 such buildings under construction. On top of that there are 131 buildings 100m+ proposed. Toronto should be able to remain in the mix if a good proportion of these proposals move to construction.

If they all get built the skyline would effectively double in size over the next 5-7 years. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by isaidso; January 6th, 2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #6612
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
It does, but they have some work to do to pull up even with those other Chinese skylines we mentioned. It's the weakest skyline of the 5.

Old January 6th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #6613
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31712

Shenzen, China

62cd1063gw1enxy2d1266j21kw31ue81 on Flickr

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #6614
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 672

Shenzhen.China

A comment from youtube:

Last edited by CHINA0086; January 6th, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #6615
WingWing

It would be great if both CBD of shenzhen combined but they are not, which is the reason why i rate guangzhou better than shenzhen.

Old January 6th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #6616
WingWing

Jakarta

Old January 6th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #6617
WingWing

Tokyo

Old January 6th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #6618
WingWing

Singapore

And move to the left side of the view
image hosted on flickr
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #6619
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
It would be great if both CBD of shenzhen combined but they are not, which is the reason why i rate guangzhou better than shenzhen.
Well Shenzhen does lack in density because of it's urban planning. Shenzhen has potential in Qianhai and Houhai. As of now, both Futian and Luohu are very spread out
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #6620
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Quote:
You do realize Guangzhou's skyline is not multi-nodal like Shenzhen?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto