daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #7221
Axel76NG

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
Frankfurt am Main (Germany) - Europe's best skyline in the points: *Density *Quality *Height @ EZB
I disagree, Paris has more density, London has better quality, and Moscow has the greatest height
Axel76NG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #7222
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel76NG View Post
I disagree, Paris has more density, London has better quality, and Moscow has the greatest height

That is your opinion. I have another.

Frankfurt combines all fields. Height, density and magnificent architecture.

WingWing, taskula liked this post

Last edited by KlausDiggy; March 11th, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #7223
redcode
uncompromising

Likes (Received): 24571

Hong Kong

8 March 2015 by powalo95412, on Flickr
"Hatred is corrosive of a person's wisdom and conscience; the mentality of enmity can poison a nation's spirit, instigate brutal life and death struggles, destroy a society's tolerance and humanity, and block a nation's progress to freedom and democracy."

KlausDiggy liked this post
redcode está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #7224
redcode
uncompromising

Likes (Received): 24571

Shanghai

Source
"Hatred is corrosive of a person's wisdom and conscience; the mentality of enmity can poison a nation's spirit, instigate brutal life and death struggles, destroy a society's tolerance and humanity, and block a nation's progress to freedom and democracy."

BenjaminEli liked this post
redcode está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #7225
ilbonboo

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
What is wrong with New York as #1 and Chicago as #2? I have these two cities in my top 2 skylines as well.
What Chicago and NYC has better than Hongkong? Because I understand that outside of Pudong Shanghai doesn't make impressive skyline and there is general hate towards Dubai because it was built in 20 years and some people are extremaly jelly that it has twice the supertalls of any other city in the world and still is building faster than any other city, but what about HK? It has the same density as Manhattan, twice more towers than NYC, the same quality, the same height... I just see no reason to put them ahead especially Chicago which has much smaller skyline actually. Just explain me your logic behind it because I can't understand.

WingWing liked this post
ilbonboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #7226
BenjaminEli
Shrewd

Likes (Received): 17386

Luanda, Angola

Formerly Sao Paolo De Luanda

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/...pss6jl0a2a.jpg

redcode, kevo123 liked this post
BenjaminEli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #7227
BenjaminEli
Shrewd

DAR ES SALAAM 360 DEGREES

KlausDiggy, MDguy, redcode, kevo123 liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #7228
BenjaminEli
Shrewd

Sandton Gauteng

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8620/...5c8645ba_h.jpg

redcode liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #7229
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbonboo View Post
What Chicago and NYC has better than Hongkong? Because I understand that outside of Pudong Shanghai doesn't make impressive skyline and there is general hate towards Dubai because it was built in 20 years and some people are extremaly jelly that it has twice the supertalls of any other city in the world and still is building faster than any other city, but what about HK? It has the same density as Manhattan, twice more towers than NYC, the same quality, the same height... I just see no reason to put them ahead especially Chicago which has much smaller skyline actually. Just explain me your logic behind it because I can't understand.
No & not anymore.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #7230
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22571

Quote:
there's the arguable part. While I do put Hong Kong above Chicago on my list, Chicago has a much wider array of architectural diversity. Hong Kong was only really built up to what we know it in the past 45 or so years, whereas the construction of skyscrapers actually began in Chicago. You can see the entire history of skyscrapers from the 19th century to today in Chicago.

Here is Chicago in 1976, boasting an already impressive skyline with supertalls looming over prewars:

Chicago Skyline - 1976 by S D Hill, on Flickr

and Chicago today:

Chicago Skyline by snowdropangels, on Flickr

At that time, Hong Kong already had its density from its forgettable residential towers, but none of the flair or supertalls we know today.

Hong Kong, 1976 by east med wanderer, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; March 11th, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #7231
ilbonboo

Likes (Received): 93

Woah everyone so contrary when I said that HK has the same quality, NYC is so much overrated, whole US is for it's "quality". I guess you forgot that Empire State Building is actually surrounded by terrible, random boxes. But I guess that NYC, Chicago and other American cities just don't impress me, I am totally bored cause I've been bombarded by views of this cities since I was a kid so what can be interesting about those rectangles now... Anyway I just wanted to know your point of view, not gonna continue this discussion.
ilbonboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #7232
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Quote:
Woah everyone so contrary when I said that HK has the same quality, NYC is so much overrated, whole US is for it's "quality". I guess you forgot that Empire State Building is actually surrounded by terrible, random boxes. But I guess that NYC, Chicago and other American cities just don't impress me, I am totally bored cause I've been bombarded by views of this cities since I was a kid so what can be interesting about those rectangles now... Anyway I just wanted to know your point of view, not gonna continue this discussion.
I don't know why you get so defensive. Noone f.e. is saying that Hong Kong is overrated as you do with NYC (which btw is ridiculous). In fact I have Hong Kong as #2, so ahead of Chicago.

Also it should be clear that New York is experiencing a massive boom and skyscrapers and especially supertalls are popping up all over the place. Everyone who visits SSC should have another picture of NY by now.

As for Hong Kong, it has an incredible backdrop and hosts one of my favourite towers (ICC, 2IFC, Bank of China,...).
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #7233
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Quote:
true, the taller highrises around the Empire State Building are nothing exceptional, but the lowrises which are below them certainly are. Plus that's only a small section of the skyline.
I wouldn't get so worked up about an opinion of quality. it's subjective. Some people like skylines which are more uniformly neo modern while others like more diversity. I appreciate the latter more.
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #7234
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Toronto

Toronto by Golden_Arrow, on Flickr

firoz bharmal, SASH liked this post
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #7235
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

ilbonboo: I'll add by saying that you're going to save yourself a lot of consternation if you accept that people prioritize and value things differently. I too have Hong Kong above Chicago but not by much. Height and scale matters but other things come into play as well. It's also been my experience that one comes to appreciate things more when you learn something about it.

Take random boxes, for instance. To you they might be boring and lacking visual interest but in the field of architecture International Style is considered a classic timeless design. It's required reading in architecture school globally. Often people don't come to appreciate them until they stand in front of a Mies or IM Pei.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 11th, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #7236
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
New York's random boxes are still nicer, both in quality and design, than most of Hong Kong's random boxes (and HK has more boring boxes than NY does). Hong Kong is my #2 or #3 too (sometimes ahead of Chicago). Height-wise Hong Kong isn't beating New York anymore. HK may have more skyscrapers but I personally like the way New York's are arranged better. It doesn't really matter, though. Both skylines are too huge to really fit into one view/angle anyway. Chicago is smaller but the quality is high, it has good height, and the buildings are arranged in a very pleasing manner, something both NYC and HK lack in comparison. So it's not all about how much and how tall.

People don't hate Dubai because it's new. People hate Dubai because most of its buildings are tacky. Rotterdam is new, Doha is new, Guangzhou is new, and peoples opinions are way more favorable to those skylines. It has the Burj Dubai and other tall towers but they're just randomly built in the middle of the desert and look out of place and wrong. So again, it's not all about the height.

JuanPaulo, isaidso, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:18 AM   #7237
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
New York's random boxes are still nicer, both in quality and design, than most of Hong Kong's random boxes (and HK has more boring boxes than NY does).
This is totally subjective. Personally I find the random boxes in New York more boring than Hong Kong. New York's brown highrise boxes look rusty and sterile, they don't belong in the modern skyline. Chicago is better in this aspect

firoz bharmal, ilbonboo, Zaz965 liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #7238
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

P3370067 by amsfrank, on Flickr
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #7239
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

By timmilk from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

the spliff fairy, BenjaminEli liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #7240
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6744

Singapore

Tiong Bahru Dawn by Scintt, on Flickr

BenjaminEli, taskula liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto