daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #741
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzato View Post
Its like ying and yang. for the new era, hong kong. the old generation, New york.
hong kong looks shiny and sexy , NYC has two massive skylines with many interesting buildings.
HK has the mountains and kowloon to boost it..NYC has the views from the west/east that enhance it.
HK has supertalls with incredible shapes and size range. NYC had the size, and is working on building back up (fkin terrorists)

I could look at both forever.
but the feeling I get from both is much different
As far as I'm aware, only Hong Kong and New York have such massive 'secondary' skylines.

Can't, off the top of my head, think of another city that has a secondary skyline as large as both of the above.

Also, one may argue that both the secondary skylines are better than most cities primary skylines too!

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #742
Kiss the Rain
WoyaoDaJb

Likes (Received): 20

Um, Shanghai? the skyline west of the huangpu river is no smaller than the skyline on the other side(pudong), and trust me, they are just as big as that of NY and HK if not bigger.

Kiss the Rain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #743
_00_deathscar

Pic?

Old July 17th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #744
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

1.Sydney
2.New York
3.Toronto
4.Melbourne
5.Hong Kong
6.Rio de Janiero
7.Chicago
8.Los Angeles
9.Seattle
10.Chicago

Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #745
_00_deathscar

What I'm bout to show you, will blow your mind away.

HONG KONG'S SECONDARY SKYLINE

Old July 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #746
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Source : http://www.pbase.com/liphotos/hong_k...hotos&page=all

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #747
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
What I'm bout to show you, will blow your mind away.

HONG KONG'S SECONDARY SKYLINE

I love the sunset, it's a great touch. The skyline is pretty sweet and only going to get better but I don't think it blew my mind. Great new angles though.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202

nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #748
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss the Rain View Post
Um, Shanghai? the skyline west of the huangpu river is no smaller than the skyline on the other side(pudong), and trust me, they are just as big as that of NY and HK if not bigger.
I agree with Shanghai's skyline and density. But it's not just Shanghai but also Guangzhou, Chongqing and Shenzhen but in a smaller scale.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #749
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
I love the sunset, it's a great touch. The skyline is pretty sweet and only going to get better but I don't think it blew my mind. Great new angles though.
Yes, but that's cos you're from NY.

Old July 19th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #750
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

It's more it would be cool if New Yorkers would hop on a plane and see HK. Besides the HK-NY connection is pretty strong.

Last edited by Manila-X; July 19th, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #751
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss the Rain View Post
I think Puxi's skyline is far bigger than Pudong, but the key observation decks are in Pudong so Puxi's enormous urban development isn't given a fair chance to be seen. Try Tomorrow Square or Le Meridian near Nanjing Road for Puxi views.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Old July 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #752
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I think Puxi's skyline is far bigger than Pudong, but the key observation decks are in Pudong so Puxi's enormous urban development isn't given a fair chance to be seen. Try Tomorrow Square or Le Meridian near Nanjing Road for Puxi views.
Density yes it's Puxi but Pudong has the tallest scrapers in Shanghai.

Old July 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #753
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Density yes it's Puxi but Pudong has the tallest scrapers in Shanghai.

As I've said plenty of times before, a few tall skyscrapers doesn't make a skyline. A good skyline needs consistent density. Puxi has the consistent density while Pudong has the tallest buildings but it will take a while before Pudong can put everything together to make a massive skyline. Remember, we're talking about skylines here.

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #754
_00_deathscar

Quote:
As I've said plenty of times before, a few tall skyscrapers doesn't make a skyline. A good skyline needs consistent density. Puxi has the consistent density while Pudong has the tallest buildings but it will take a while before Pudong can put everything together to make a massive skyline. Remember, we're talking about skylines here.
Not entirely true...

KL doesn't have consistent density, yet it's a far better skyline than, say Mumbai, which is consistent throughout.

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #755
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Not entirely true...

KL doesn't have consistent density, yet it's a far better skyline than, say Mumbai, which is consistent throughout.
KL does have a consistently dense core, while Petronas stands outside that main cluster. Mumbai doesn't have that many skyscrapers to start, so the skyline is much more low- to mid-rise while some tall ones peer out. Both have very visible skylines.

Old July 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #756
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
One thing, Pudong is surrounded by mid-rise residential flats. Other than that, Pudong is more seen as a business district instead of a major tourist spot in the city.

Old July 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #757
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
One thing, Pudong is surrounded by mid-rise residential flats. Other than that, Pudong is more seen as a business district instead of a major tourist spot in the city.
Pudong hasn't yet developed to the point where it has become the top commercial district in Shanghai. Puxi still has a lot of clout especially along the Nanjing Road corridor, but Oriental Pearl and Jin Mao both have a lot of tourism clout these days. Pudong's influence will continue to increase but keep in mind Pudong is a lot bigger than the skyscraper zone facing the Huangpu River. The business district is called Lujiazhui and plenty of residential areas surround it.

Pudong as a whole is more residential than office.

Old July 20th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #758
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
It's more it would be cool if New Yorkers would hop on a plane and see HK. Besides the HK-NY connection is pretty strong.
It's cool I was in HK in 03' for nearly two weeks. I'd do it again if I had the time. Stayed in the Peninsula and I remember seeing the room I was in everytime I see one of these shots from the peak looking down onto Kowloon. I'll admit I was naive about the place before I went. I'll admit the mountains are something I was not used to but the only way you would really be awe-struck on Hollywood or in Mong Kok is if you live somewhere other than London, Paris, Chicago, New York, Tokyo, or ( dare I say, Shanghai). Pretty cool though, nonetheless.

Anyway here is someone's incredible shot of some of the old "ugly" buildings in Lower Manhattan. Looks almost like a painting..

image hosted on flickr

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202

nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #759
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
It's cool I was in HK in 03' for nearly two weeks. I'd do it again if I had the time. Stayed in the Peninsula and I remember seeing the room I was in everytime I see one of these shots from the peak looking down onto Kowloon. I'll admit I was naive about the place before I went. I'll admit the mountains are something I was not used to but the only way you would really be awe-struck on Hollywood or in Mong Kok is if you live somewhere other than London, Paris, Chicago, New York, Tokyo, or ( dare I say, Shanghai). Pretty cool though, nonetheless.

Anyway here is someone's incredible shot of some of the old "ugly" buildings in Lower Manhattan. Looks almost like a painting..
Did it remind you of NY?

Old July 20th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #760
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:

Haha, thats not even in the major skyline of NYC.

the hong kong shots are crazy as well

Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto