daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #8721
SGSky

Likes (Received): 38

Taipei

Taipei Skyline by Dennis Liang, on Flickr

PunnaWich, Raj20, rockinmoz liked this post
SGSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #8722
QalzimCity

Likes (Received): 1065

Bangkok looks the best as what it is now..
Or may become better with iconsiam and other small supertalls(300m+) ongoing.

But, the minute their megatall rama tower completed, be ready to lose the harmony...since most of their high rises are pretty petite/tiny.... they will have the Taipei and Tokyo effects... Now is the moment if u plan to enjoy bangkok most beautiful skylines setting.
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #8723
QalzimCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSky View Post
Taipei

Taipei Skyline by Dennis Liang, on Flickr
Is that real moon??? Or photoshoped?
I must say the picture is stunning.
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #8724
atomx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2047

Quote:
Originally Posted by QalzimCity View Post
Bangkok looks the best as what it is now..
Or may become better with iconsiam and other small supertalls(300m+) ongoing.

But, the minute their megatall rama tower completed, be ready to lose the harmony...since most of their high rises are pretty petite/tiny.... they will have the Taipei and Tokyo effects... Now is the moment if u plan to enjoy bangkok most beautiful skylines setting.

But I think that what awaits now is. Click Rama IX
atomx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #8725
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6268

Lujiazui, Shanghai

Shanghai by pb.11, on Flickr

Shanghai 14 by pb.11, on Flickr
Old October 25th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #8726
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Shanghai needs some residential supertalls. Would be neat to live that high up and look down at the city at 300m over even 400m.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #8727
QalzimCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomx View Post
But I think that what awaits now is. Click Rama IX
Yup...and I can't wait for it to rise....
Nice elegant design MEGAtall
Old October 25th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #8728
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17817

By TL2011 from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

stop that liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #8729
Surrealplaces

Likes (Received): 2696

golden night by Rob-Shanghai, on Flickr
Old October 25th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #8730
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22569

NYC

_F3A0527.jpg by Cooper Smith, on Flickr

_F3A0824.jpg by Cooper Smith, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #8731
eastwest2012
London-Dubai-KL

Likes (Received): 275

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Panoramic City Center by vedd edd, on Flickr

My First 2015 Landscape Shot by yusri hussain, on Flickr

QalzimCity, Raj20, realitybites-u liked this post
eastwest2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #8732
hkskyline
Hong Kong

151024_5_4th_Day_Peak_Cheung_Chau_6595-Pano-2 by Franz Venhaus, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Raj20, nunyabizzness liked this post
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #8733
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

I think for me, as far as favorability goes, I have always liked New York. I don't think the world has a more iconic skyline. It seems that in the time period between this moment and when I first browsed this thread (5 Years?), most people have either been between New York and Hong Kong or New York and Shanghai, with the occasional individual who favors Dubai over everything. Of course there are other orders of preference, but for the most part this has been the way I have witnessed.
I think that New York has reigned for so long as the undisputed major skyline, that when Hong Kong started to build higher and more densely, people were enthusiastic about a sleeker and modern skyline, so I have never had reason to shut anyone down for liking Hong Kong. Afterall, it is an incredible skyline with tall buildings and a mountainous backdrop. It has a splendid harbor, and some good designs, but it also has some terrible low rises that are plain, repetitive, and cringeworthy. I think the same goes for Shanghai, and maybe it's partly true for The Biggle Apple too, but I have always been able to find something to respect in all these skylines.

1.New York
For me atleast, nothing compares. So much architectural history in a single city. It has several world tallest building title holders, including the longest title holder: The Empire State Building. The Historic World Trade Center (New and old) and wonderful landmarks like lady liberty and the beautiful bridges that connect Manhattan to the rest of the world. The density and street grid make it the most incredibly city I have ever seen. Im really excited to see how the two skylines of midtown and downtown develop. Central Park will and the other park ave towers will even out the awkwardness created by the pencil thin 432 Park Building. Hudson Yards is also in the works, and will make the city appear to have 3 different building clusters! Wow! I think there are so many possibilities with new york. Seeing the buildings so dense and tall in such a small area really help my mind to wander and ponder the possibilities. Right now the WTC is the focal point of Downtown, but maybe someday it will have a tight cluster that make it as imposing as the trio in Shanghai. Or maybe Jersey City will develop a respectable skyline, making the city reminiscent of Hong Kong. Far fetched? Perhaps, but the point is that there are possibilities here, and the market is certainly in place for big things to happen!

N.Y Love by Kevin Morales, on Flickr

A good example of the architectural diversity of Manhattan

Polar Midtown by Pete Tsai, on Flickr

May 05, 1948 - Empire State building, midtown Manhattan skyline. New York City by cobravictor, on Flickr

2.Hong Kong
This one is probably the most straightforward of any city on my list. I just really like it for density, size, modern look, the harbor, and the mountain backdrop. I just feel that it falls short of New York.

Airplane over Hongkong by Anek Suwannaphoom, on Flickr

City Lights by William Chu, on Flickr

This does a good job at showing why I love and hate Hong Kong. Beautiful picture, but only a few gems in an endless landscape of horrible low rises

3. Chicago
Chicago is brilliant, but let's go ahead and start with the cons. For me I have always felt that chicago needs more height, and that it seems a little smaller compared to other cities I've been to. I also think that the CNA Building (you know...the red one) Is one of the biggest eyesores in any major US city. However, Chicago has so many things that it does right. The Natural setting of Chicago is so often overlooked on these types of lists! Come on! The Chicago River? Lake Michigan?! These make it so unique! I really wish I can emphasize this more. Lake Michigan is the reason that chicago can look like an urban paradise in the summer, and a lost city in the winter. It has a very unique Skyscraper canyon because of the Chicago River that is void in any other city. Not to mention the timeless classics like the Tribune Building, Wrigley Building, Hancock Tower, and Willis. Chicago may not be building as high as other cities, but the quality of the buildings are very high (especially the ones being built along the river right now). I think its hard to overlook one of the original skylines and I think it has plenty of room for growth!

Flying over Trump by Pete Tsai, on Flickr

Three Icons of Chicago by Pete Tsai, on Flickr

Chicago by Zachary Andrews, on Flickr

4. Shanghai
The Shanghai Tower is one of the greatest architectural masterpieces built in the past few years, and I certainly would not have Shanghai as my fourth choice without it. In fact, I'm still a little uncertain about putting it so high on my list considering that the Shanghai Tower is one of 2 buildings in Shanghai that I actually like. You have to respect the awe of the tall 4 building grouping, but should a city really be held so highly for having 4 good buildings? I barely even like SWFC. I just think it looks tacky. Maybe if it had its original circle at the top as opposed to the handle. Still it is very tall and opposing and that cant be overlooked. Jin Mao is another favorite of mine, but thats where things change in this case. I know people will get on my back for this one, but I have always hated the Oriental Pearl. I just dont think it looks good. It never has to me. Ive always felt that it makes Shanghai look like a cheap carnival, although it really does give the city a focal point!

20150918-DSC05271 by jacky ding, on Flickr

5. Shenzhen
Ive included this mostly for the current size and the promised growth, oddly enough I have not included Guangzhou for the same reasons. I just am not quite a fan of Guangzhou yet. I would just like to reiterate that I DO NOT think that scale alone can make up the worth of a skyline.

深圳 by lok, on Flickr

(This is where it gets tricky)

6. Toronto
Just an all round good skyline with new development and a main focal point

Urban Gowth by Doug, on Flickr

7. Dubai
Not my things, but it does have the tallest building

Dubai Skyline by Elaine Williams, on Flickr

8. Kuala Lumpar
Petronas are dope af! (Although I am bitter about one thing…….all hail sears tower)
Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia by bernhard.koradi, on Flickr

9. San Francisco
A city better viewed in person. I can never find a picture that does the bay area justice

San Francisco by Di Rk, on Flickr

10. Seattle
If there was development here it would probably be my favorite because of natural setting

No predictions on game, but if you can read my mind you know who wins Superbowl 49. by Greg Shaw, on Flickr
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #8734
QalzimCity

i dont fully agree on your list plus some photos are from the last decade, but the presentation is kinda neat...
One thing above all, the NYC pictures!!!-bow down
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #8735
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

What......Seattle and SF.......not at all proper listing....!
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #8736
QalzimCity

Meanwhile in the land not that far away (based on today IT standards),
The 'peoples' give their full focus and attention towards what the 'King'(Petronas) has to say..

realitybites-u liked this post

Last edited by QalzimCity; October 26th, 2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old October 26th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #8737
realitybites-u

Likes (Received): 5328

in the next couple of years, this view will changed dramatically! There will be two supertall and two megatall that will popping out from this view!

Zaz965 liked this post
realitybites-u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #8738
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By leungyin from dcfever :

Old October 26th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #8739
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31795

Chicago, USA

Untitled by maxschreier, on Flickr
Old October 26th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #8740
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25232

View of lower Manhattan at dusk. by javansg, on Flickr

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto