daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #10981
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23053

Chicago

Go Cubs Go by Jodi Mair, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #10982
Nick Holmes

Likes (Received): 287

worlds best Skyline has always been, is and will ever be New York City.

dendenden liked this post
Nick Holmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #10983
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Holmes View Post
Not everybody agrees with that

ChiCityAtty11, WingWing liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #10984
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Holmes View Post
It's like NYC vs the World! Shanghai is New York's only true competition in my opinion. Hong Kong is stalled. Dubai is impressive, but the majority of the buildings are not aging well.

WingWing liked this post
dendenden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #10985
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 532

A lot of cities may build hundreds, if not thousands of soaring skyscrapers, but New York's skyline will be an icon for a very long time.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #10986
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
It's like NYC vs the World! Shanghai is New York's only true competition in my opinion. Hong Kong is stalled. Dubai is impressive, but the majority of the buildings are not aging well.
Sadly this comment is true.... but not in the way that you meant it -- its NY vs. the world "in their own minds". New Yorkers are far too arrogant about everything NY. And they are far too loud in trying to have the world recognize them as #1 in EVERYTHING.

This type of attitude is self centered, misplaced and flat out wrong. To use a common adage, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". To use another common adage, "size is not everything". Those adages are commonly used for one reason -- they are largely true.

I see a lot of flaws in the NY skyline -- symmetry and/or the lack thereof being my biggest critique. Also the dirty/gray setting is not the best. TV shows you one thing, going there shows you another. And as someone who has traveled to NY many times on business, it is a great city in many ways but I also find it overcrowded, soulless and dirty.... very dirty. Bags of trash and trash mounds everywhere -- a very smelly place. But thats just me. I wasn't impressed. I know New Yorkers won't like hearing that but that is my opinion and I am entitled to it. NY gets so much smoke blown up its butt so it should be able to withstand my little critique

Besides my beloved Chicago (which I won't focus upon because of my inherent bias), I personally enjoy Boston, San Francisco, London and Paris much better -- particularly Paris.

As far as skylines, I personally feel that the # skyline is Hong Kong. It has the best combination of setting, buildings and symmetry.

ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #10987
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityAtty11 View Post
Sadly this comment is true.... but not in the way that you meant it -- its NY vs. the world "in their own minds". New Yorkers are far too arrogant about everything NY. And they are far too loud in trying to have the world recognize them as #1 in EVERYTHING.

London is the same.

ChiCityAtty11 liked this post
KlausDiggy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:07 PM   #10988
Shahmir
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

impressive skylines
Shahmir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #10989
Kadzman

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityAtty11 View Post

This type of attitude is self centered, misplaced and flat out wrong. To use a common adage, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". To use another common adage, "size is not everything". Those adages are commonly used for one reason -- they are largely true.

I see a lot of flaws in the NY skyline -- symmetry and/or the lack thereof being my biggest critique. Also the dirty/gray setting is not the best. TV shows you one thing, going there shows you another. And as someone who has traveled to NY many times on business, it is a great city in many ways but I also find it overcrowded, soulless and dirty.... very dirty. Bags of trash and trash mounds everywhere -- a very smelly place. But thats just me. I wasn't impressed. I know New Yorkers won't like hearing that but that is my opinion and I am entitled to it. NY gets so much smoke blown up its butt so it should be able to withstand my little critique

Besides my beloved Chicago (which I won't focus upon because of my inherent bias), I personally enjoy Boston, San Francisco, London and Paris much better -- particularly Paris.

As far as skylines, I personally feel that the # skyline is Hong Kong. It has the best combination of setting, buildings and symmetry.

I have not really seen a New Yorker pitting the city against the rest of the world here. In fact, seems that most of the images and comments here are by non-New Yorkers, as far as this thread is concerned. I do think that most are quite agreeable its still the best out there.

Hong Kong might win on the aspects you stated but what about character, diversity, pedigree etc? So many factors to consider and if you were to rank each of them out of 10, I am quite sure NYC would never rank below 8. I can't smell or see trash mounds on images of skylines, so I can't knock off points for that. However I can see the vibrancy and dynamism of a place from such images and that certainly add to the overall appeal of a skyline and NYC is always a top contender.

streetscapeer, IAMPUFFY liked this post
Kadzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #10990
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadzman View Post
I have not really seen a New Yorker pitting the city against the rest of the world here. In fact, seems that most of the images and comments here are by non-New Yorkers, as far as this thread is concerned. I do think that most are quite agreeable its still the best out there.

Hong Kong might win on the aspects you stated but what about character, diversity, pedigree etc? So many factors to consider and if you were to rank each of them out of 10, I am quite sure NYC would never rank below 8. I can't smell or see trash mounds on images of skylines, so I can't knock off points for that. However I can see the vibrancy and dynamism of a place from such images and that certainly add to the overall appeal of a skyline and NYC is always a top contender.
I think I may have been misunderstood. I meant NYC vs the world in terms of current development. It's really the only western city with so much happening right now.
dendenden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #10991
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
London is the same.
Agreed. Maybe it was the novelty of the place because I have traveled there far less than I have NY. But yes, you are right, Londoners are full of unnecessary bluster too.

KlausDiggy liked this post
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #10992
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Chicago, USA

IMG_3847-Pano by Erik Wolf, on Flickr

A view northwest from 1001 South State by YoChicago, on Flickr

Luca9A8M, streetscapeer, rockinmoz, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:30 AM   #10993
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Shanghai, China

K3A26003 by David Creswell, on Flickr

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #10994
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Chongqing, China

Sunrise Chongqing city,china by YiChao Ma, on Flickr
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:37 AM   #10995
absolution98

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
I think I may have been misunderstood. I meant NYC vs the world in terms of current development. It's really the only western city with so much happening right now.
You think NY has the most happening development??Boy you can't be more wrong.It's quite the opposite actually.East Asian countries are having much bolder and crazier developments underway.There's this high competition in Asian countries to build bigger,bolder projects.Dubai has some ugly skyscrapers but they have some crazy low rise developments that western countries can't take the risk to invest in the countries.Go look up at other Asian countries.Aside from London and NY,there's nothing really happening about the development in other western cities except with your usual construction projects.The only reason why NY is pushing their construction even further now is because they're don't wont be to be eclipsed by other cities in Asia.

*BTW I'm not talking about the importance of the cities but more so on the construction or development side

-

TowerVerre:) liked this post
absolution98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 07:31 AM   #10996
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolution98 View Post
Aside from London and NY,there's nothing really happening about the development in other western cities except with your usual construction projects
I think Toronto also belongs in the group of western cities with crazy ongoing development.

WingWing liked this post
Old November 8th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #10997
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6793

Singapore
Singapore CBD on a Rainy Morning by Reto Fuchs, on Flickr

Marina Bay Singapore by Reto Fuchs, on Flickr

Facets of Life by Jonathan Danker, on Flickr

Benjamin Sheares Bridge by Ram Sotelliza Suson, on Flickr

The Interlace, Singapore [2048x1128] by mariorcan1, on Flickr
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #10998
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18188

Hong Kong 2016 by Helena, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #10999
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4385

KUALA LUMPUR

by Airi

by Efendi

firoz bharmal liked this post
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #11000
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

New York City, USA

395A0804 by Paul K, on Flickr

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto