daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #1141
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Scaffolding came down before the 23rd of December surely?

Nice pics - Hung Hom?
If you read the source carefully, you'll notice the date added was 23 December, but that is not the same as the date the photo was taken. Thought that subtlety would be obvious for an English proficient user. However, given the scenes, it is still a recent photo.

Yes, I took the sunset shots at Hung Hom ferry pier.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1142
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
If you read the source carefully, you'll notice the date added was 23 December, but that is not the same as the date the photo was taken. Thought that subtlety would be obvious for an English proficient user.
Stop being a patronising ****. I'm well aware of that, hence why I added the much more recent pics, and was somewhat bemused when you replied with

Quote:
How many days' difference? The one I posted was dated Dec. 23.
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1143
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Stop being a patronising ****. I'm well aware of that, hence why I added the much more recent pics, and was somewhat bemused when you replied with
More recent pictures, 1 of which shows Kwai Chung and the skyline, which was dated from 2006 :

S310105002s.jpg 04-Nov-2006 00:08 443k



Recent, eh?
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #1144
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

I was talking about the Nina Tower pics you plonker - I thought that subtlety would be obvious for an English proficient user...
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #1145
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
I was talking about the Nina Tower pics you plonker - I thought that subtlety would be obvious for an English proficient user...
Not when you don't communicate clearly. Good luck to anyone who has expert knowledge of English understanding when you don't put your thoughts clearly.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1146
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

No sense of semantics and pragmatics then? Ah, the failings of the Hong Kong educational system...
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #1147
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1
 
Brummyboy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 5,936
Likes (Received): 1309

The worlds best skyline by day I would say is Bejing and at night New york city!
__________________
Sometime I wish I could be you, so I could be friends with me.
-Angelica Pickles

NijmegenCity liked this post
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #1148
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
No sense of semantics and pragmatics then? Ah, the failings of the Hong Kong educational system...
Thank goodness HK's education system has produced people like me who can clearly communicate and express our thoughts. Not everyone is so fortunate and so many fall at the wrong tail of the intelligence distribution.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #1149
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

If you weren't so illeducated, you wouldn't need me to spell out exactly which set of pictures I was referring to.

Or perhaps, coming from the Hong Kong education system, you prefer everything spoonfed?

Pillock.
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #1150
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
If you weren't so illeducated, you wouldn't need me to spell out exactly which set of pictures I was referring to.

Or perhaps, coming from the Hong Kong education system, you prefer everything spoonfed?

Pillock.
Don't blame others if you can't specify your language and bring forth broad-based text that is self-contradictory. If you can articulate so clearly then others could never be able to find so many problems with it. The fact that you have to clarify all sorts of things after the fact means you weren't clear enough to begin with. Semantics and pragmatism are excuses for omission. The Hong Kong education system, like many others in the world, don't teach interpretation to be invention.

I suggest you make your points very clear in the future, rather than blame others for not discovering what's in your mind but not on the screen.

Ignorance.

Quite a beautiful sunset last night indeed.



__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1151
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Ignorance? Moi ou vous?

Seems the others are quite capable of understanding exactly what I mean; it's merely you that have the problem. Perhaps you should take a hint?
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #1152
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Ignorance? Moi ou vous?

Seems the others are quite capable of understanding exactly what I mean; it's merely you that have the problem. Perhaps you should take a hint?
Others' silence does not mean comprehension and/or agreement. Your point is equivalent to assuming everyone on SSC who hasn't replied as having understood exactly what you mean. Clearly that is a logical error. Has everyone on SSC read this thread? An error does not need a set threshold of responses for validation. 1 solid argument against it will do. On the contrary, does a million replies make a wrong thing right?

Clearly you aren't thinking from a logical point of view anymore. Mass ignorance is not an excuse for your ignorance.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #1153
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

There you go again.

Where did I say anything about silence/lack of replies?
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1154
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
There you go again.

Where did I say anything about silence/lack of replies?
What basis do you think others are quite capable of understanding? Understanding based on not replying?

Also, I don't buy the argument that a million agreements can overrule common sense. Mob mentality is a very weak argument to begin with. Surely there must be more intelligent reasons if an argument can withstand the test of logic?

Anyway, I don't even see the material difference in the skyline for having a Nina Tower picture without scaffolding. The height hasn't changed; the width hasn't changed; Nina Tower isn't even in the main skyline.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #1155
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
What basis do you think others are quite capable of understanding? Understanding based on not replying?

Also, I don't buy the argument that a million agreements can overrule common sense. Mob mentality is a very weak argument to begin with. Surely there must be more intelligent reasons if an argument can withstand the test of logic?
What on earth are you on about mob mentality for?
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #1156
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
What on earth are you on about mob mentality for?
Re-read your post 1147.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #1157
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Mob mentality suggests that people who replied replied in accordance/agreement. I merely stated that in other discussions I've had, on this forum as well, I've hardly ever had to clarify my viewpoint because others are more than capable of understanding the context in which the post was written in.

It is only with you where I have to clarify every single detail or else you end up being misled on the wrong track, presumably because you have trouble understanding what is meant by the poster in question.

You could argue that people should be more articulate, and in some situations you'd have a point - however, what on earth is there to be articulate about regarding the posting of three pictures, all taken from the same viewpoint, in one post, and then another picture (which has quite clearly absolutely sod all to do with Nina Tower - the subject in question), in a seperate post?
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1158
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Mob mentality suggests that people who replied replied in accordance/agreement. I merely stated that in other discussions I've had, on this forum as well, I've hardly ever had to clarify my viewpoint because others are more than capable of understanding the context in which the post was written in.

It is only with you where I have to clarify every single detail or else you end up being misled on the wrong track, presumably because you have trouble understanding what is meant by the poster in question.

You could argue that people should be more articulate, and in some situations you'd have a point - however, what on earth is there to be articulate about regarding the posting of three pictures, all taken from the same viewpoint, in one post, and then another picture (which has quite clearly absolutely sod all to do with Nina Tower - the subject in question), in a seperate post?
I don't see how other situations work can apply to this one with its unique circumstances. Were the circumstances exactly the same there than here hoping people can make a leap in logic? Does that mean it's OK and perfectly logical that you bring about more recent photos, declare that as such, and within the same breath of thread replies, post something in 2006? Doesn't that seem weird? So it's OK because others have not raised a problem before and you can still make omissions this time and it's all right? Surely if you think your argument and logic is sound then you can argue based on that rather than bring in everyone else and claiming just because they haven't raised a problem means there is no problem in all future applications.

Mind you, the scientific world has gone through long periods of ignorance before people question something that everyone thought was OK before and did not voice a problem. Does that make it right until the end of time? The world is not flat anymore.

In fact, green scaffolding on Nina Tower continued to exist well into 2007, hence photos with that part of construction are still very recent, even with the fast pace of Hong Kong construction in general. After all, the building has been topped out and much of the design was already revealed.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #1159
_00_deathscar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,047
Likes (Received): 217

Nope, you still haven't got it.
__________________

NijmegenCity liked this post
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1160
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17802

More Hong Kong shots.
Source : http://www.aggress.hk





Not the typical skyline views :



__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

NijmegenCity liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu