daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #11581
nasle
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1394

Mahanakhon Tower ----------->>

BANGKOK THAILAND 2017

Keattisak Areechon

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #11582
Astaire007

Likes (Received): 554

Tokyo Skyline 2017

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Astaire007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #11583
nasle
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1394

Bangkok Area

\

Last edited by nasle; February 9th, 2017 at 05:33 PM.
nasle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #11584
Kadzman

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by firoz bharmal View Post
You opinion sounds of baseless .....commenting without knowing of Architecture....I still know Dubai is having Greatest and most beautiful skyline rather then stupid Old Boxes like in Chicago and surely out of fashion....

Taste of Fashion ------LOL....Dubai is the fashion now......Chicago skyline is almost 50-75 years old except some boxes rise....!

Cheap service......you are welcome in Dubai and see for yourself...
What's fashionable now would look outdated eventually. Unfortunately Dubai is starting to doing so. Doesn't help that garish and banal structures overwhelm the few gems that do exist. Sheer heights alone does not make for an interesting skyline. When you have so many of supertalls in a cluster, the resulting silhouette isn't guaranteed to be pleasing to the eyes, as in the case of Dubai.

If I were to term Dubai as a musical arrangement, it's a series of loud, discordant notes with irregular rhythm. There's no harmony, articulate layering and cadence, just some random noise.

At least in Chicago the overall skyline has elegantly aged gracefully and will remain as one the standard bearers other cities will be compared to. NYC on the other hand continues to defy maturity and refuses to back down. It ticks almost all the criteria as to be the best in the world.
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:40 AM   #11585
eurico

Likes (Received): 6353

Dubai

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old February 10th, 2017, 02:52 AM   #11586
eurico

Dubai

Old February 10th, 2017, 02:53 AM   #11587
eurico

Dubai

Old February 10th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #11588
eurico

Dubai

Old February 10th, 2017, 03:18 AM   #11589
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31732

Not to turn this into a Dubai vs Chicago thread, but here are some of my favorite Chicago pictures

Three Icons of Chicago by Pete Tsai, on Flickr

Chicago skyline, from a 15th floor balcony at Vantage Oak Park apartments by YoChicago, on Flickr

A skyline view from west of the Kennedy Expressway by YoChicago, on Flickr

JAK_8131 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

560A1093-1
by Joel Corrente, on Flick

Global Headquarters on Signal

Aerial View of Chicago Skyline! by Sathishkumar Ramasamy, on Flickr

Chicago LakeView East by Kenneth Stokes, on Flickr

One Perfect Day in Chicago, by the City of Chicago, on Indagare Magazine

Airfield / Chicago Skyline by O'Hare Intl Airport, on Flickr
Old February 10th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #11590
akif90

Likes (Received): 4523

https://www.flickr.com/photos/srinathholla/
Old February 10th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #11591
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadzman View Post
What's fashionable now would look outdated eventually. Unfortunately Dubai is starting to doing so. Doesn't help that garish and banal structures overwhelm the few gems that do exist. Sheer heights alone does not make for an interesting skyline. When you have so many of supertalls in a cluster, the resulting silhouette isn't guaranteed to be pleasing to the eyes, as in the case of Dubai.

If I were to term Dubai as a musical arrangement, it's a series of loud, discordant notes with irregular rhythm. There's no harmony, articulate layering and cadence, just some random noise.

At least in Chicago the overall skyline has elegantly aged gracefully and will remain as one the standard bearers other cities will be compared to. NYC on the other hand continues to defy maturity and refuses to back down. It ticks almost all the criteria as to be the best in the world.

Its hard to accept the changes....one used to see mere own skyline can not accept the new standards of overseas........

No doubt that Chicago,NY is the oldest skyline in the world and we used to see that way...but Dubai raises mare in last couple of decades and still dare to be double the current size........

Dubai have many clusters.....SZR,Business BAY , Marina and JLR-JBR , Creek & Lagoons.......within 10 years they will be blend to each other and yours layers and rhythm could be tuned easily.......!

Chicago whole Down Town can be accommodate in Dubai's Business Bay only 3.5 km * 3 Km........

Better to see for yourself.....you will adore it with time....

firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #11592
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
As far as supertall towers go, Dubai has, on the whole, the worst examples of such structures from an architectural standpoint. Dubai has objectively no sense of taste or fashion. In particular, its local architects/ building firms really have no business designing such structures of supposed significance. They really just dont know how to, no matter how pathetically cheap their services are. Its sort of sad, really... So much wasted money and potential. Imagine what wonders could have been, if only there was a degree of competence...
Quote:
You opinion sounds of baseless .....commenting without knowing of Architecture....I still know Dubai is having Greatest and most beautiful skyline rather then stupid Old Boxes like in Chicago and surely out of fashion....

Taste of Fashion ------LOL....Dubai is the fashion now......Chicago skyline is almost 50-75 years old except some boxes rise....!

Cheap service......you are welcome in Dubai and see for yourself...
As a designer who is from Chicago but has been to Dubai and has spent a lot of time in the east I think I might be able to provide a bit of insight here.

Generally speaking folks in the west ascribe to very formal aesthetics where much of the east ascribes to very informal aesthetics. Chicago in particular is known for formalism it's where modernism in architecture first took off and it's still influenced today by the minimalism of Architect Mies Van Der Rohe and the Modern "Form ever follows function" of Louis Sullivan.

In my experience when people from the west like TheIllinoisan are critical of the architecture like much of the architecture in Dubai it is because they are approaching it from a formalist perspective. From that perspective much of the decoration and ornamentation of Dubai's architecture seems tasteless or overbearing and they see the boxes... or more reserved less ornamental designs of the west as efficient and nuanced.

From an eastern perspective in my experience it's quite the opposite. The boxes are considered boring or lifeless and who cares about how efficient and nuanced the design is if it doesn't have any life and color to it.

In my opinion both perspectives have a lot to learn from each other and I can appreciate both approaches in different ways.
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:29 AM   #11593
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Its hard to accept the changes....one used to see mere own skyline can not accept the new standards of overseas........

No doubt that Chicago,NY is the oldest skyline in the world and we used to see that way...but Dubai raises mare in last couple of decades and still dare to be double the current size........

Dubai have many clusters.....SZR,Business BAY , Marina and JLR-JBR , Creek & Lagoons.......within 10 years they will be blend to each other and yours layers and rhythm could be tuned easily.......!

Chicago whole Down Town can be accommodate in Dubai's Business Bay only 3.5 km * 3 Km........

Your taste is different from that of many other posters on this site, and likewise. That doesnt make you or those that disagree with you correct. I think we can all at least agree that Chicago, NYC, and Dubai are among the world's greatest skylines.

And to JuanPaulo, thank you for those spectacular pictures. Those are some of the best Ive seen in a while.
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #11594
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

WOW ! IMO only please , This is why Chicago , Illinois, Will and always will be the 2nd Largest City with Tallest Towers in the United States of America after # 1 in the U.S.A. New York City ,
Fantastic and Beautiful From Air Photo Hudson11, Our /My SSC Friendly Family Brother and SSC Friend to everyone here , ,
thanks and so very well appreciate these great Photos of yours and everyone Here,
Thanks,
Chuck !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #11595
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Wow Hudson11, You got me on this One, let me figured this out, So I'm guessing I'm looking North - Northeast from Staten Island or one of the Staten Island ferries to or From Manhattan Island, and That is WTC 3 , passing WTC 4 with the two Tower Construction Cranes on Manhattan, and the hole in between Jersey City and Manhattan is the Hudson River going north, I'm I right ss Far, ?/ Anyone Please, This view is changing every year, with more towers rising every month
Quote:
NYC

December Morning by Dave, on Flickr
Old February 11th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #11596
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Oh my God , I don't know how I got 2 of the same two posts here, But , I'm sorry about that , But to continue my trying to find out which direction I'm looking here, it seems to me it's Looking North by Northeast, I see the Statue of Liberty, and The Towers to the left in this Great and Beautiful photo, by Hudson11, is the/That Jersey City N.J. ? ,west of the Hudson River running through a hole there in the Center Left, of this Great Photo.
anyone, please reply, and thanks !!

Wow Hudson11, You got me on this One, let me figured this out, So I'm guessing I'm looking North - Northeast from Staten Island or one of the Staten Island ferries to or From Manhattan Island, and That is WTC 3 , passing WTC 4 with the two Tower Construction Cranes on Manhattan, and the hole in between Jersey City and Manhattan is the Hudson River going north, I'm I right ss Far, ?/ Anyone Please, This view is changing every year, with more towers rising every month
Quote:
NYC

December Morning by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited by ChuckScraperMiami#1; February 11th, 2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #11597
singa-knight

Likes (Received): 172

Enchanting Singapore

singa-knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #11598
Kadzman

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:

"Its hard to accept the changes....one used to see mere own skyline can not accept the new standards of overseas........"

I am not American and I've seen my fair share of skylines.

"No doubt that Chicago,NY is the oldest skyline in the world and we used to see that way...but Dubai raises mare in last couple of decades and still dare to be double the current size........"

How does this factor into a good skyline?

"Dubai have many clusters.....SZR,Business BAY , Marina and JLR-JBR , Creek & Lagoons.......within 10 years they will be blend to each other and yours layers and rhythm could be tuned easily.......!"

We are talking currently, not in ten years. What makes you so sure Chicago or other cities won't be able to match Dubai?

"Chicago whole Down Town can be accommodate in Dubai's Business Bay only 3.5 km * 3 Km........"

We are talking about world's best skyline, not the most humongous!

"Better to see for yourself.....you will adore it with time.... "

I never mentioned anything about hating Dubai, just somewhat disappointed it's looking more like Vegas or Macau, rather than Hong Kong or Sydney.

Kadzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #11599
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25117

NYC

NY Skyline 321 by Steven Siegel, on Flickr

by Brandon Taoka, on Flickr

Hudson Yards - Latest by Tony Shi, on Flickr

City Skyline - Lower Manhattan by Tony Shi, on Flickr

Last edited by streetscapeer; February 12th, 2017 at 01:01 AM.
streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #11600
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 673

Chongqing.China

Last edited by CHINA0086; February 12th, 2017 at 08:17 AM.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto