daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #11921
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 465

@brandontaoka

This is a great shot --- it shows the IMBALANCE that I have been talking about. How the NY skyline has all of its new "spire towers" clustered together to one side of the city.... leaving NY with a lack of balance and symmetry.

This picture also shows how 432 sticks out like a sore thumb and does little for the flow, balance, symmetry and cohesion of the skyline.

nomarandlee liked this post

Last edited by ChiCityAtty11; March 7th, 2017 at 09:11 PM.
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #11922
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22545

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityAtty11 View Post

This is a great shot --- it shows the IMBALANCE that I have been talking about. How the NY skyline has all of its new "spire towers" clustered together to one side of the city.... leaving NY with a lack of symmetry.

This picture also shows how 432 sticks out like a sore thumb and does little for the flow, balance, symmetry and cohesion of the skyline.

You're disregarding the entirety of the Hudson Yards, One Vanderbilt, and the 200m+ skyscrapers under construction south of the Empire State Building.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #11923
KavirajG
Global Trekker

Likes (Received): 1813

Singapore

Layover in Singapore by Trey Ratcliff, on Flickr
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #11924
KavirajG
Global Trekker

Likes (Received): 1813

Beijing with Zun tower U/C in the background

Traditional #beijjng vs modem Beijing by Pavel Dvorak, on Flickr

bodegavendetta liked this post
KavirajG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #11925
singa-knight

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
This, to me, is the true list of the World's Tallest Buildings.

Height to pinnacle -- highest point

By Ali Zifan - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=38160324

When you are in Chicago you see, feel and notice the antennas that are on top of the Willis Tower and Hancock Center. In fact, it can be argued that those antennas "make" the buildings -- meaning they would lose their identities if you take the antennas off of those buildings.

The antennas on Willis and Hancock should be counted towards their actual height.

It's not all about impressiveness. In my opinion what counts is the hard work of who designs and builds up the skyscraper, and it's easy for a lazy developer build a mega spire (think about KL118 for example).
BTW Shenzhen

About the previous discussion Shenzhen is in my top 5 list. Random position and various design is a point of preciousness for the skyline.

DowntownKidz liked this post
singa-knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #11926
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

Quote:
Also, the human eye automatically goes to the highest point of the structure -- the human eye does not distinguish the difference between a spire and an antenna.
Which is why the current system of measuring a building's height makes absolutely no sense.

A human eye could see a diagram comparing the Sears Tower and the Petronas Twin Towers, and the brain would immediately conclude using information from the eye that the Sears Tower is taller. Except it isn't, according to the weirdos who developed the system for measuring height.

Melbourne:

Melbourne skyline - cropped and contrast [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], by Chris Brown, from Wikimedia Commons

Melbourne skyline on 14 September 2013 [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], by David Wallace, from Wikimedia Commons

ChiCityAtty11, Hitoro liked this post
A Chicagoan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #11927
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31740

Quote:
An impressive list of Chinese megatalls indeed Its gonna be difficult for anyone to keep pace with China in the years to come.

The thing about the Chicago towers is that they were built with the antennas from the very beginning. They are synonymous with the structure and helps give Chicago one of the most easily recognizable silhouettes in the world.

Also, the human eye automatically goes to the highest point of the structure -- the human eye does not distinguish the difference between a spire and an antenna.

Actually, Sears did not have antennae originally but were instead added a later time (or at least they were much shorter and non descriptive). I believe that is why the current antennae are not considered an architectural feature that counts towards height (to me, the Sears Tower antennae are clad and appear to be an architectural feature rather than skinny truss like telecom antennae like WTC1)

ChiCityAtty11 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #11928
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31740

Toronto, Canada

IMG_6486-01 by Stuart Paisley, on Flickr

redcode, rockinmoz liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:02 AM   #11929
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 673

Well,my original means is i am just confused that these chinese new meagatalls all have no antenna or spire.is this means a style trend?or just coincidence.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #11930
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25124

NYC

Marion LARGUIER

Dustin Tyler Joyce

Old March 8th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #11931
CHINA0086

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINA0086 View Post
Well,my original means is i am just confused that these chinese new meagatalls all have no antenna or spire.is this means a style trend?or just coincidence.
I have some analysis,just my opinion.
Nowdays,super skyscraper is becoming very high,so that most of them are very slim,perhaps in consideration of a wide super tower may makes a giant shadow.also,most of those super tower all have streamline shape.so put a spire on the top seems unnecessary,try to imaging that if build a spire on the top of shanghai tower,or 432,even Lotte tower,it would be disaster.the spire or antenna,in my opinion,only suited to those towers which have complicated shape,such as burj Khalifa,sears tower,ESB,or Trump tower.
Maybe spire really a little obsolete for the next few decades.

Last edited by CHINA0086; March 8th, 2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:19 AM   #11932
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Actually, Sears did not have antennae originally but were instead added a later time (or at least they were much shorter and non descriptive). I believe that is why the current antennae are not considered an architectural feature that counts towards height (to me, the Sears Tower antennae are clad and appear to be an architectural feature rather than skinny truss like telecom antennae like WTC1)

Very true JuanPaulo -- in part. The antenna was built into the original design as you can see from your picture -- after about a year, the "length" of the antenna had to be updated to accommodate a greater signal.

But lets look at the Burj Khalifa -- it is designed so that if a challenger arises to unseat it as worlds tallest building, its spire can be lengthened so that it can retain its title. How is that any different than the Willis Tower later lengthening its antenna? And because Burj Khalifa arguably is without a permanent/fixed roof (because it can raise its spire), should it count as a "completed building" worthy of being considered the tallest in the world? And, if so, how is that any different than an antenna?

Just food for thought my friend. Not saying whats right or wrong. Just saying those are questions to be pondered indeed

A Chicagoan liked this post

Last edited by ChiCityAtty11; March 8th, 2017 at 06:04 AM.
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:57 AM   #11933
CHINA0086

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonRowen48 View Post
Discuss this week's topic here.

But please note - if you post too many images, I will delete them all. Try to have some consideration for people with slower Internet connections and/or slower computers, otherwise the thread becomes unreadable.

this page truly looks better,now.

Last edited by CHINA0086; March 8th, 2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old March 8th, 2017, 08:24 AM   #11934
akif90

Likes (Received): 4523

U/C SUPERTALL IN KL
1. KL118 MERDEKA TOWER
2. TRX EXCHANGE 452M
3. FAIRMONT HOTEL 380M
4. FOUR SEASON HOTEL 342M
5. OXLEY TOWER 320M
6. KEMPISKI HOTEL 320M
7. M101 SKYWEEL 316M

Old March 8th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #11935
Reeyell

Likes (Received): 460

Manila, Philippines

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...hilippines.jpg
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #11936
Kadzman

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Very true JuanPaulo -- in part. The antenna was built into the original design as you can see from your picture -- after about a year, the "length" of the antenna had to be updated to accommodate a greater signal.

But lets look at the Burj Khalifa -- it is designed so that if a challenger arises to unseat it as worlds tallest building, its spire can be lengthened so that it can retain its title. How is that any different than the Willis Tower later lengthening its antenna? And because Burj Khalifa arguably is without a permanent/fixed roof (because it can raise its spire), should it count as a "completed building" worthy of being considered the tallest in the world? And, if so, how is that any different than an antenna?

Just food for thought my friend. Not saying whats right or wrong. Just saying those are questions to be pondered indeed
Well, look at it this way. Antennas when removed would not affect the integrity of the overall form while crowns, spires etc. are intrinsic part of the whole composition that if removed would affect the structural coherence.
I can recognize Willis without antennas but not Chrysler without a crown.

ChiCityAtty11 liked this post
Kadzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #11937
benKen

Likes (Received): 393

Shenzhen

Old March 8th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #11938
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17799

Hong Kong by Mark Barzman, on Flickr

Hong Kong by Mark Barzman, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

taotao10101 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #11939
redcode
uncompromising

Likes (Received): 24566

London, U.K.

Canary Wharf London by ben veasey, trÍn Flickr
"Hatred is corrosive of a person's wisdom and conscience; the mentality of enmity can poison a nation's spirit, instigate brutal life and death struggles, destroy a society's tolerance and humanity, and block a nation's progress to freedom and democracy."

taotao10101 liked this post
redcode está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #11940
redcode
uncompromising

Likes (Received): 24566

Toronto, Canada

Happy 183rd Birthday Toronto by Nicoli OZ Mathews, trÍn Flickr
"Hatred is corrosive of a person's wisdom and conscience; the mentality of enmity can poison a nation's spirit, instigate brutal life and death struggles, destroy a society's tolerance and humanity, and block a nation's progress to freedom and democracy."

redcode está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto