daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #12481
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!
 
JuanPaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Posts: 20,783
Likes (Received): 31740

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post

Haha actually i find bangkok has a good skyline, definitely contender for top 10 world best. The skyline itself is quite big and they do got 2 supertalls with 1 or 2 more coming up
I consider it a "good skyline" but definitely not a top 10 contender. In my opinion, all these are way above Bangkok (not in any particular oder):


New York
Hong Kong
Chicago
Shanghai
Shenzhen
Guangzhou
Toronto
Singapore
Dubai
Kuala Lumpur

These just to name a few, there are many many other Chinese, American, and Australian cities that have much nicer skylines than Bangkok. I would go as far as saying that even some European and Middle Eastern cities have nicer skylines than Bangkok.
__________________
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #12482
KavirajG
Global Trekker
 
KavirajG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quatres Bornes, Mauritius
Posts: 1,248
Likes (Received): 1813

I love Bangkok too...especially the fact that its waterways, tropical greenery, bridges, centuries-old temples/pagodas and modern skyscrapers blend in so beautifully into one another...will definitely be in my Top 10 in a decade or so...
__________________

nasle liked this post
KavirajG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:37 AM   #12483
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,633
Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by KavirajG View Post
I love Bangkok too...especially the fact that its waterways, tropical greenery, bridges, centuries-old temples/pagodas and modern skyscrapers blend in so beautifully into one another...will definitely be in my Top 10 in a decade or so...
Water ways, tropical greenery, bridges, temples, and pagodas? Those things pertain to the pedestrian experience and a city's characteristics. They have nothing to do with its skyline. If they did, I'd have to assume that the skyline is so puny that these things actually have an impact in a 'skyline' shot.

Tropical greenery is no more valid than counting a city's snow cover when assessing its skyline.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 4th, 2017 at 04:45 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:22 AM   #12484
absolution98
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 209
Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Water ways, tropical greenery, bridges, temples, and pagodas? Those things pertain to the pedestrian experience and a city's characteristics. They have nothing to do with its skyline. If they did, I'd have to assume that the skyline is so puny that these things actually have an impact in a 'skyline' shot.

Tropical greenery is no more valid than counting a city's snow cover when assessing its skyline.
I think waterways and bridges does play a role in skyline.Take Sydney harbour for example or San Francisco skyline that is always paired with the bridge.
absolution98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #12485
Kadzman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 351
Likes (Received): 515

I think many postings here are too liberal with their definition of a skyline. What we are getting, many are actually aerial or bird's eye views. My standard to a good skyline is if I could imagine the silhouette or the side elevation view of whatever​ elements that collectively define a city's outline against the horizon.

That's why I tend to be drawn towards cities like NYC, Chicago, Sydney or Hong Kong etc. as they easily have all the features juxtaposed together for a distinctly recognizable skyline. Buildings, water, sky, bridges, mountains are some of the elements that do help in defining a skyline.
__________________
Kadzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #12486
WingWing
Registered User
 
WingWing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,639
Likes (Received): 6740

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolution98 View Post
I think waterways and bridges does play a role in skyline.Take Sydney harbour for example or San Francisco skyline that is always paired with the bridge.
but Rama VIII Bridge was located far from the skyline

those harbour bridge or bay bridge located right beside the skyline and complement well the skyline

Sydney
Sydney by Gabriel González, on Flickr


San Fransisco
San Fransisco bay bridge from Yerba Buena island. by Arnab China, on Flickr


anyway bangkok
Sunset above Bangkok Downtown by Roman Bordo, on Flickr
__________________
Singapore, A Skyline Like No Others
WingWing está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 09:23 AM   #12487
WingWing
Registered User
 
WingWing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,639
Likes (Received): 6740

Singapore
Singapore by Choongmin Lee, on Flickr

Marina Bay Sands and CBD @ Sunset, Singapore, Panoramic by hathaway_m, on Flickr




Singapore skylines against a mirror. #singaporelife #singaporeskyline #skyline #reflections #fitnessfirst #architecture by Yongqiang Cao, on Flickr
__________________
Singapore, A Skyline Like No Others
WingWing está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #12488
KavirajG
Global Trekker
 
KavirajG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quatres Bornes, Mauritius
Posts: 1,248
Likes (Received): 1813

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Water ways, tropical greenery, bridges, temples, and pagodas? Those things pertain to the pedestrian experience and a city's characteristics. They have nothing to do with its skyline. If they did, I'd have to assume that the skyline is so puny that these things actually have an impact in a 'skyline' shot.

Tropical greenery is no more valid than counting a city's snow cover when assessing its skyline.
I didn't say this as a generalization that applies to all skylines but mainly as an opinion as to why all the aforementioned elements combined together, including modern high-rises, do bring something to the city's skyline and why Bangkok is highly ranked on my list.

E.g Some of Bangkok's temples are no midgets and are well integrated into the city's views and also silhouettes and many will definitely recognize the BK through them.


http://static.asiawebdirect.com/m/bangkok



__________________

nasle, little universe, Focalor liked this post

Last edited by KavirajG; May 4th, 2017 at 01:50 PM.
KavirajG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #12489
nasle
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,822
Likes (Received): 1394

BANGKOK





Aey SrirathSomsawat

Aey SrirathSomsawat
__________________

KlausDiggy, KavirajG, EasySeven liked this post
nasle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #12490
Jordan Tan
Registered User
 
Jordan Tan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Serpong
Posts: 2,518
Likes (Received): 824

Jakarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by teofani21792 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto Boerham View Post



__________________
say no to plagiarism and fanaticism

KlausDiggy, isaidso, EasySeven liked this post
Jordan Tan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #12491
Scion
Registered User
 
Scion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hong Kong, Shenzhen
Posts: 3,557
Likes (Received): 4243

Did someone mention silhouette?

In that case, can't go wrong with Dubai

Sunset_Dubai_Creek_Harbour.01 by matthew.wickens, on Flickr
__________________
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #12492
nasle
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,822
Likes (Received): 1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post

Haha actually i find bangkok has a good skyline, definitely contender for top 10 world best. The skyline itself is quite big and they do got 2 supertalls with 1 or 2 more coming up




Classic view of hk

If there will be additional supertall at causeway bay at the right side of pic will be even great.


thank you friend

Bangkok have 1 mega tail 650M under construction 2 Supertail 305M and 315 M under construction
and 1 Project 380 m

615M link
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...760867&page=16

315M link
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post139862091

305M link
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post139862166

380M link
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1987642&page=2
2017
__________________

Zaz965 liked this post
nasle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #12493
nasle
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,822
Likes (Received): 1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
but Rama VIII Bridge was located far from the skyline

those harbour bridge or bay bridge located right beside the skyline and complement well the skyline

Sydney
Sydney by Gabriel González, on Flickr


San Fransisco
San Fransisco bay bridge from Yerba Buena island. by Arnab China, on Flickr


anyway bangkok
Sunset above Bangkok Downtown by Roman Bordo, on Flickr




from King Bhumibol bridge Samutpeakran city see Bangkok view

Rama nine bridge by Anek Suwannaphoom, on Flickr


and King
Rama VIII Bridge

Morning at the Rama VIII Bridge by Aey Srirath Somsawat, on Flickr
__________________
nasle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #12494
WingWing
Registered User
 
WingWing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 8,639
Likes (Received): 6740

Last pic is a rare angle. Nice
__________________
Singapore, A Skyline Like No Others

nasle liked this post
WingWing está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #12495
DowntownKidz
Registered User
 
DowntownKidz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 894
Likes (Received): 298

Nice skies lovely
__________________

nasle liked this post
DowntownKidz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #12496
DrunknRussianBear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 102

Moscow

__________________
DrunknRussianBear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #12497
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!
 
JuanPaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Posts: 20,783
Likes (Received): 31740

New York City, USA


Warm by Tony Shi, on Flickr
__________________
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #12498
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!
 
A Chicagoan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,915
Likes (Received): 1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadzman View Post
I think many postings here are too liberal with their definition of a skyline. What we are getting, many are actually aerial or bird's eye views. My standard to a good skyline is if I could imagine the silhouette or the side elevation view of whatever​ elements that collectively define a city's outline against the horizon.

That's why I tend to be drawn towards cities like NYC, Chicago, Sydney or Hong Kong etc. as they easily have all the features juxtaposed together for a distinctly recognizable skyline. Buildings, water, sky, bridges, mountains are some of the elements that do help in defining a skyline.
If someone showed me Bangkok's skyline silhouette, I'd have absolutely no idea that it was Bangkok. It's too random, I just can't imagine it.
__________________
I'm a Chicagoan and I'm proud of it!
Even though I don't live in Chicago anymore.
A Chicagoan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #12499
TowerVerre:)
Registered User
 
TowerVerre:)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 927
Likes (Received): 1815

Shenzhen by 浪迹一生
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:27 AM   #12500
QalzimCity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,252
Likes (Received): 1065

Moscow looks like LA in the pictures above
QalzimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
abu dhabi, chicago, chongqing, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kuala lumpur, las vegas, london, manila, melbourne, miami, moscow, new york city, panama city, paris, saigon, seattle, shanghai, shenzhen, singapore, sydney, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu