daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: left, center or right aligned?
Left aligned 12 28.57%
Center aligned 10 23.81%
Right aligned 0 0%
mixed (overhead center, exit left aligned) 19 45.24%
i don't look at the signage anyway 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #1
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Road signage

So far having lived in Kentucky and Ohio both states have metric and english mesurements for distance and speed.

Can anyone list more?

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Ning

Likes (Received): 7

I'm glad to see, Kentucky and Ohio are turning to the french system of mesurements
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #3
ScraperDude
lagom

ha ha Arizona has an entire interstate thats all metric mesuremnts
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Tonka Truck
Tonka Truck

Likes (Received): 0

Puerto Rico, a United States territory, Posts distances in kilometers, but speed limits in MPH.
Tonka Truck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Boris550
Technocrat

Likes (Received): 8

I've seen a few in Nevada...and California for that matter...

I'm glad that Canada is all metric...
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #6
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Truck
Puerto Rico, a United States territory, Posts distances in kilometers, but speed limits in MPH.
Why?? Do they like confusing people or something.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #7
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

All imperial here in MN. (I think)
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #8
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

I never even knew that highways with metric signs existed in the US. Here in NJ, and the entire northeast for that matter, I have never seen any metric signs, except a few closer to the Canadian border.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #9
sargeantcm
Hee Hee!

Likes (Received): 2

New Hampshire started putting signs on all new construction in dual units, I'm not sure if that's still the standard but I think we're still doing it. Ironic considering we were the third to last state to ditch metric and turn back to imperial for design work.

I also know the northern end of I-87 in New York is dual units, in fact bi-lingual as well.
sargeantcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #10
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I like the U.S. Customary measurements better for our highways and everything else. Screw the Metric system.

Penn's Woods liked this post
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #11
ScraperDude
lagom

This web page has images from around the US of metric signs.
Go look
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #12
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
I like the U.S. Customary measurements better for our highways and everything else. Screw the Metric system.
Why because everything American is better?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #13
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk
Why because everything American is better?
Yes, everything in the United States is better. That's why everyone wants to come here.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #14
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

It'd make sense for states bordering Canada and Mexico to have metric signage, but Ohio?
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #15
TheTramp

Likes (Received): 17

Arizona has road signs in metric system, if you drive south from Tucson.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #16
demanjo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yes, everything in the United States is better. That's why everyone wants to come here.
Im sorry
But that is one of the most ignorant and arrogant things i've ever heard. I love you for it though, because YOU satisfy the American Stereotype that occasionally exists in my mind.

Imperial is nonsensical and redundant. Metric is logical and the way of the future. I think it is absurd that the US still used Imperial.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #17
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

Yeah for metric.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #18
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanjo
Im sorry
But that is one of the most ignorant and arrogant things i've ever heard. I love you for it though, because YOU satisfy the American Stereotype that occasionally exists in my mind.

Imperial is nonsensical and redundant. Metric is logical and the way of the future. I think it is absurd that the US still used Imperial.
Why is metric the way of the future? I think Imperical is better. The world isn't divided up in 1s, 10s and 1000s. Things are imperfect and I think Imperical (U.S. Customary or whatever) fits our country better.

Plus when you grow up with a certian measurement you just grow fond of it. When I drive on the Interstate I already know that 1mile I have time to think about exiting, 1/2 mile I better start thinking about getting in the right lane, 1/4 mile I should be in the right lane and at the "-->" the exit is there.

When I was driving to El Paso the sign said "El Paso 518", yeah, I know what 518 miles is but if it said some thing like "1000 km" me and most other people would convert that shit to miles before we comprehend what it really is.

So when I look on this forum and someone posts something about a 400m skyscraper, I honestly have hardly a clue what they mean so I go to www.google.com, look up a converter and convert that to feet......and get 1,312.34 ft which in my head makes much more sense than 400m. I know meter is around a yard but I don't use yards that much since I use feet much more often.

I also think it's funny and ironic how people put down Americans when we boast about how great the U.S. is because when people tell an American the U.S. isn't all that we honestly don't care and just laugh it off. I mean, how can you say the U.S. is not the best? It might be ignorant or arrogant but we honestly don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

If some worldwide law was made that said you had to pick one country and never leave it for the rest of your life I bet many people would pick the U.S. You'd be stuck here for the rest of your life but you can still visit places in the U.S. like the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Hawaii, American Samoa, Saipan, Guantanamo bay and some other territories I can't think of off hand. Plus we pretty much own Afghanistan and Iraq right now but that's a different story.

Anyway, yes I may be an arrogant American but back to the topic at hand, I think the metric system is best used for soda bottles. I know what 1, 2 and 3 liter bottles are but when it comes to milk I like gallons. Let the U.S. keep our measurement system, look how far we've come using it.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #19
HKT

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
But the foundation of physics is based on the Metric system.
HKT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #20
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKT
But the foundation of physics is based on the Metric system.
Maybe so but for all drivers in the United States, we're just used to our customary system. If we changed over to Metric for our highways we'd be screwed. We'd have to replace all our exit numbers, billboard will have to change their exit numbers. Distances would have to be replaced, our maps would have to be redone. Our cars are based on miles so we'd be in a mess if we have to convert our car mileage into kilometers. We buy gas by the gallon and everyone here knows what a gallon is. Our speed limits are in miles and people would be weirded out if we saw something like "Speed Limit 100 kilometers/hr"....it's like "What?", just give me miles. I weigh 230 lbs, we just know LBS stands for pounds, why? Most people don't know but if you told someone kilograms you'd be speaking another language.

You'd tell someone..."Los Angeles is only 55 kilometers away..." and I bet you'd get this question next "How many miles is that?"

So miles, feet, gallons, inches and whatever else is just engrained into our society and it's not going to change. Maybe it is like language. I think English is better than French or Spanish, why? I can understand it and it makes more sense to me since I understand it. Ask a Spanish speaking person and they'd think Spanish is much more efficient and better.

So if we tried to change our highway system to the metric measurements, it would not go too well in the U.S.. I know 5280ft = 1 mile or freezing at 32 degrees may not line up perfectly as 1000meters = 1km or freezing = 0 degrees but even with temperatures we know that 90=hot, 80=very warm, 70=very nice, 60=cool, 50's=getting cold (In Texas) and under that it's just COLD. Our measurement system isn't holding us back from anything so why change it? Like I said before we're doing very very well as a country using our measurement system and we'll continue to use it for a long time to come.

Penn's Woods liked this post